Listen to podcasts in the background of Chrome! Sync content across computers, manage your feeds, save progress, get new episodes!
BETA VERSION FOR COURAGEOUS TESTERS! -- New in version 0.3, you can search on Apple's iTunes Podcast database for your favorite podcasts! smarterPod is a Angular.js based Google Chrome extension for listening to podcasts in the background of your browser, with feed management capabilities, Chrome notifications on title change, metadata retrieval as well as Google Storage Sync capability for your partially listened episodes and current playlists, regardless of which computer you're on. smarterPod aims to be the most straightforward way to listen to podcasts in your browser without the need for extra tabs, heavy Flash player clients or external application. smarterPod updates your feeds and syncs every 15 minutes, ensuring that you have the most updated content and saved episodes on every computer you use at all times. Right now, smarterPod is in Beta, with some awesome new features planned in the pipeline, including custom feed retrieval (download X episodes of this feed on every update). If there is something you would like to see, let us know! This is the first public version of this project and I hope to add new features, improve the application and work with it more over the coming months! Also, there is currently a list of bugs on GitHub: https://github.com/smromain/smarterPod. If you encounter any bugs, please feel free to either submit on Github, through Chrome Web Store's User Feedback feature or via email (using my email address in the app). Thanks! -- ON PERMISSIONS: Google says that the application requires 'permission to read data from all sites you visit'. This is not correct: smarterPod now requires permission to send requests for podcast feed data and receive data from those servers with podcast information. ON SYNC: Google Sync MUST be enabled for smarterPod to work. This is a pretty easy process, and you can learn more about it here: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/165139.
- (2020-07-09) Charles Catura: So far so good. Been using it for 1 day. I would love a little pop-out player like Google Music has. I like to stick it in the corner of my screen while I'm working so I can always hit the play/pause button easily. Also hotkeys would be nice.
- (2019-11-17) Cecile Smith: it is complicated to use, no clear setting to use. something this complex needs directions and im not even sure how it was downloaded
- (2019-09-03) Islam Tawfik: Extremely inconvenient to play old episodes. The front-end is very mediocre and needs a complete revamp.
- (2018-11-03) 59seank: I can't add podcasts. I've clicked on everything I can think of. Waste of my time.
- (2018-05-31) Sheri Shirey: the instructions read "add podcasts from the feed management + menu). There is no such thing, and no plus sign - the app had no apparent means of use. I'm deleting it after 10 minutes.
- (2017-03-08) Celia Pritchard: doesn't come up on the apps page and am now unable to remove.
- (2016-10-29) Nicholas P.: With my limited use, the good: 1) It works 2) Really simply interface that's easy to work with. Saying that, I won't be using it for now because it's ridiculously inconvenient to get to past episodes. One of my podcasts is on episode 70, and I'm only on episode 20. Some of the podcasts I listen to have hundred of episodes and I simply won't click hundreds of times until I get to the episode I'm on. This is really a deal breaker. If it had an easy way to get to past episodes (even if it didn't autoplay them in order) this app would get five stars. Did not try the syncing feature with other computers, but I like that this is possible. Also having a way to sync with Android would be killer as that is my primary podcasting device.
- (2016-10-23) max evangelista: não abre os podcast da dw
- (2016-04-24) Jennifer Redmond: You can't click to listen to historic episodes in order from the first episode.....?
- (2016-02-16) Mika Hämäläinen: Didn't get it to work at all. Clicking '+' doesn't do anything. The UI is fine, so 2 stars for the effort.
- (2015-12-09) Kyle Bridges-Kelloes: I have to admit that it worked for a whole 4 hours. I and then the extension suddenly unresponsive when clicking on it to try and bring up the various podcast feeds. I only have 1 podcast and that's from Rooster Teeth just because I was trying it out. I left it alone for a few day and decided to come back and try it again well once again it was unresponive and took 5 minutes before it popped up showing my last podcast and when I clicked on it, it did absolutly nothing. I mean I've been sitting here doing my school work, browsing the web and it hasn't even played. Really now? what's the problem? I'm uninstalling until it gets better.
- (2015-11-11) Todd Gerdy: I had it up and running in under a minute. Love it
- (2015-03-27) Johnny Dertien: Met deze extensie is het simpel podcasts luisteren. Abonneer je op een podcast, en in elke Chrome window wat je open hebt staan, staat je eigen podcast lijst.
- (2015-03-15) Brian Kass: nice extension and the guy who wrote it was very helpful when I asked him about a podcast that was not updating correctly. can't wait until the next update to the extension
- (2015-02-10) Huntly Mayo-Malasky: Makes listening to podcasts on different computers easy- I listen to podcasts at work and sometimes I finish working in the middle of one. This lets me pick up right where I left off when I get home!
- (2014-12-09) Faisal Nawaz: nice! does a great job
- (2017-11-30, v:0.3.0.2) Billie Mulcahy: still stuck
It tells me to add feeds from my playlist. I don't have a playlist
- (2017-11-30, v:0.3.0.2) Billie Mulcahy: need directions
how do I add feeds this
- (2017-05-15, v:0.3.0.1) António de Sousa: Importing podcasts
I haven't been able to add podcasts from the update feed! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your great work! :D
- (2017-01-23, v:0.3.0.1) Dan Beck: Update Feed
Allow the feed update list to be ordered by newest, or automatically add newest feeds to playlist.
- (2015-12-11, v:0.2.2) Thomas Kiehl: cant find it
cant find the app
- (2015-07-22, v:0.2.2) Alan Farkas: Can't add podcasts to my playlist anymore.
I really liked the app until it stopped working today. I'm currently using it on multiple machines (not simultaneously). However, when I opened up the app today, my playlist was mysteriously empty and I was no longer able to add any of my podcasts to the playlist. When I click on the '+' button, nothing happens. Even though, I'm able to delete podcast entries. from the (AKA) Podcast List Screen.
- (2015-03-18, v:0.1.1.12) Matthew de Beer: Past episodes
Hey, Thanks for the extension, it works quite nicely. It would be great to have some way to catch up on past episodes of podcasts you've just discovered.