A port of rikaichan for chrome. Translate Japanese by hovering over words.
*Version History Below* This is a port of rikaichan to chrome. For arbitrary reasons, I've called it rikaikun. Activate the extension by clicking on the 理 in the top right. Some people have reported that loading might take up to 10 seconds on OSX. When the introductory pop up appears, rikaikun is ready for action. When it's activated, when you hover over Japanese words they'll be translated in a pop up. If you hit shift/enter, you'll see some information about the first Kanji. It's not as done as I wanted, but please file issues at the link provided if you have any problems or feature requests. If you click on the "Details" tab you can find a link to the support page where you can file bugs and feature requests. v0.10.1 Fix bug where unchecked values for kanji dictionary info would not persist between extension restarts. v0.10.0 Features Scrolling to see >7 dictionary entries by bazzinotti. Add Heisig keywords to Kanji dictionary by Vwing. Add Heisig 6th edition by Vwing. Add Text To Speech support (enable in settings) by MayamaTakeshi. Options appear in pop up instead of new page by darren-lester. Settings use cloud sync and persist across all computers by Deshaun Crawford. Bug Fixes CTRL-C works properly to copy just the word instead of copying the full definition by darren-lester. Google Docs mostly works again after they updated their rendering logic. v0.9.1 Fixes textarea bug. v0.9.0 Faster dictionary loading. Popup delay added and popups can be configured to only show up when a key is pressed. Popup location default can be configured via options. Various bug fixes. v0.8.91 jQuery was removed and a bug common on angular pages. v0.8.9 Names dictionary is added. It's quite large but shouldn't be a problem for modern computers. v0.8.7 Fixed bug where rikaikun would stop working and need to be turned off and on again. v0.8.6 Added readings only mode that can be turned on in the options. It allows you to not see English definitions if you don't want to. v0.8.5 Fixed various bugs. Added text fields and button capability. By default, it doesn't highlight words in text fields but you can turn it on in the options. v0.8.1 Small bug fix and improved options screen. Still only has 2 options, but looks nice. v0.8 Fixed a few instances where rikaikun wouldn't detect the beginning of a word. Changed icons. Direct link to FAQ: http://code.google.com/p/rikaikun/wiki/FAQ
- (2020-01-23) Vincent Hawk: powerful combo with Anki
- (2019-12-27) Phyrom Oum: I have using rikaikun for a couple of years now and I'm not going to stop any time soon. I use rikaikun to look up vocabulary and kanji. My Japanese have really improving thanks to rikaikun.
- (2019-11-29) 李鈺昇: Really useful and saves my time to copy-and-paste to jisho or other translate/dict websites.
- (2019-11-15) Areku: I love it but I realize sometimes I can't see the kanjis translated in English? I can saw the reading in hiragana or katakana instead. I turn off the extension and open again but it seems it doesn't work? I'll try to reinstall it.
- (2019-10-28) Bowen Xu: 超好用！
- (2019-10-28) 希夏团子猫: いいね。
- (2019-10-18) HannahHannah Hannah: very useful and helpful and convenient !! It will be much better if it has accent mark of words. 真心實用, 若能加上重音就更棒了
- (2019-10-15) Morgan: Love it normally, but recently it started not showing translation, just reading. Gives no English unless I press shift/enter which just gives me the meaning (and translation) of the first kanji, not the word/phrase. Not sure why...
- (2019-10-08) Ken: too good
- (2019-10-04) Zac Guo: Probably my first review on Chrome store. I am learning Japanese, and this app is super helpful.
- (2019-09-09) oladik55: Please add Romaji support
- (2019-09-04) Piotr Adamowicz: It's pretty great. If only it offered romaji transcription, it would be perfect.
- (2019-08-20) Gabriel Ninô: This is my favorite extension that does what this does. However, it doesn't work properly on Google Docs (it only analyzes single characters), and works weirdly in general in text fields, like Google Translate (doesn't seem to know exactly where characters really are). Also, C as non-changeable shortcut for copying sucks big time, because sometimes I want to copy the selected text, and it copies the entry. Actually, I'd expect to be able to customize or even deactivate all shortcuts separately. Unfortunately, I'm forced to use Yomichan with that meh interface, but at least it works properly everywhere.
- (2019-07-25) 黃宇承: 日語學習者的福音
- (2019-07-24) Jotaro Kujo: Really helps
- (2019-06-26) Marie D: Excellent app. A wall I had in learning Japanese was my vocabulary. Having this app installed allows me to practice reading in context without having to use an online dictionary like Jisho every 5 seconds. It is not 100% flawless. Just wanted to make sure that is known, Ctrl+C will take the whole dictionary definition instead of the highlighted text. Manually right clicking and selecting Copy bypasses the issue but of course that's substandard. Additionally, Rikaikun has difficulty on raw unformatted text. It will constantly snap to words if the cursor is in white space. Here is an example on some random lyrics: https://gyazo.com/93fdbea9f324e094657446efc10a860b I attempted to add breaks (newlines, tabs) between each line in the console but they didn't stop the issue. I don't know if it's an issue with Rikaikun or if some formatting could fix it. But otherwise the extremely limited and livable bugs, wonderful gem of an app. Developer clearly took a lot of care in making it.
- (2019-05-25) David Tang: Extremely helpful! I would suggest this for all Japanese learners
- (2019-05-09) Muhammad Ali: Very Nice. Thank you for porting this extension to the Chrome Web Browser
- (2019-04-14) Shiki Araya: Very good extension for reading Japanese website for non-native Japanese.
- (2019-03-19) It's a great extension! Would be amazing if the romaji was shown too.
- (2019-02-27) Kaisa Saarinen: Rikaikun is very useful when reading newspaper articles etc. as I don't have to check a dictionary or skip every time there's a word I don't recognise. However, I've noticed a persistent problem - every few weeks or so, it just suddenly stops displaying English definitions, only displaying the kanji and onyomi/kunyomi when I hover over a word. I then need to remove and reinstall the extension and it starts working normally again. Toggling the on/off switch is also sometimes very slow and laggy or just plain doesn't work. So while I love Rikaikun in theory, in practice, I think it should work a bit more smoothly to earn 5 stars.
- (2019-02-19) Rodolphe Fauquez: Thanks for this! Very helpful! But i have some troubles when i want to copy text, the whole dictionary is copied too with my text selection...
- (2019-02-11) Ember Jeong: 하찮은 일본어실력을 가진 자에게 날개를 달아주는 앱입니다. 교육용으로도 뭔가 연동될 수 있도록(단어장이라거나) 나왔으면 좋겠네요
- (2019-02-06) micom fa: the only popup dictionary work with input text area, hhope you make another language like chinese and korean.
- (2019-01-19) Furogu: I like it but pressing on doesn't mean its on. it's annoying to have to press everytime i start up chrome, please fix this
- (2020-01-19, v:0.10.1) Can New Zealand Tours CanNZ Tours: rikaikun
My rikaikun extension is not working at all. Shows On on the top menu but no translations or pop ups come up at all .....Has it been disabled everywhere...or am I doing something wrong. cheers and love using this when reading newspapers from Japan.
- (2020-01-14, v:0.10.1) Jacob Kraniak: no longer showing translation?
the extension has been working flawlessly for some time now. Within the past few days, I noticed the hover popup no longer shows any translation. Only Kana reading. this is affecting all websites. Attempted checking for extension update and disabling/re-enabling. https://i.imgur.com/GnF9k5U.png
- (2020-01-12, v:0.10.1) Roberto Melgaço: Using Jisho.org as database
Hello! First of all thanks a LOAD for this amazing work! It's my main tool for learning Japanese and I dare to say that it must be the same for everyone who wish to learn it! My suggestion is about use Jisho.org as source for the extension, once that it has many other terms and expressions not showed in Rikai-family. Do you think that'd be possible?
- (2019-12-29, v:0.10.1) Edgar Schwarz: Showing Wanikani link
Hello,I'm trying to learn Japanes with Wanikai. (First three levels are free if you don't know it and want to have a look) So I would be very happy to have a link to Wanikani in a rikaikun popup. E.g. https://www.wanikani.com/vocabulary/%E5%9B%9A%E4%BA%BA https://www.wanikani.com/kanji/%E5%87%84 to access my Wanikani data I added for an item. Before going into more detail I will stop here. I suppose adding a link to an item shouldn't be a big feature for you. It's about 20 years that I last did web programming and there were some changes in the meantime ... So what do you think about it?
- (2019-12-01, v:0.10.1) Joseph Gonzalez: Auto start extension
Is there a way to auto start the extension?
- (2019-11-20, v:0.10.1) Jeff: Mistake
"暮らす” is an intransitive verb but its description says that it is transitive.
- (2019-10-15, v:0.10.1) Morgan: No longer displaying translation
Thank you for making this absolutely brilliant app. You are a superstar and I've been using it without fault for ages and I really love it. Thank you. Recently when highlighting an unfamiliar word, only the Japanese reading comes up, no information about the meaning and all the other awesome details that usually show up.
- (2019-10-10, v:0.10.1) Robin Scott: JMdict version update
When you have time, could you update to the latest version of JMdict? Looking at the GitHub repo, it appears that rikaikun is using a dictionary file from 10 years ago. There have been many thousands of additions, deletions and amendments since then.
- (2019-09-24, v:0.10.1) Samuel Humpisch: Rikai kun does not work anymore (September 23rd, 2019)
Dear Mr. Speed, Rikai kun does not work anymore since this morning (I saw an update has been made yesterday September 23rd, 2019). Am I the only one with this problem? Thank you in advance for your answer.
- (2019-09-14, v:0.9.1) Gregor G: Option to disable "copy to clipboard"
I would really appreciate it if you could add the option to disable the "copy to clipboard" feature.
- (2019-08-28, v:0.9.1) Daniel Savitt: Not working on Google Docs
Hi Erek, Thanks so much for putting this app together. I love using it. Recently, as has already been stated, it no longer works on Google Docs. My work-around for the moment is to use the same extension on Firefox. Any advice on how to make it work with Chrome? Or any idea when it will be working on Chrome again? Thanks so very much, Daniel
- (2019-08-15, v:0.9.1) Andrew Wilson: Only showing definitions for single characters in Google Docs
Elsewhere it seems to work properly, but starting on August 15, in Google Docs, Rikaikun will only show a definition for the first letter or character--it no longer recognizes multiple characters nor does it detect conjugation or inflection.
- (2019-07-21, v:0.9.1) Ronald Rey: Read browser history permission
Hey Erek, I was wondering why the extension requires the read browser history permission? I checked the manifest.json uploaded on GitHub and I don't see that permission listed there, or any history access in the rest of the source code, so I'm a little bit confused. Can you elaborate on why is it necessary? Thanks!
- (2019-07-17, v:0.9.1) Phung Van Cong: thêm bản tiếng việt
nếu có thêm bản tiếng việt nữa thì hay quá. ベトナム語のバージョンを実装していただければ