Format pages using the OpenDyslexic font and low contrast help
ABOUT Open-Dyslexic is an open sourced font created to increase readability for readers with dyslexia. This extension overrides all fonts on web pages with the OpenDyslexic font, and formats pages to be more easily readable. Your brain can sometimes do funny things to letters. OpenDyslexic tries to help prevent some of these things from happening. Letters have heavy weighted bottoms to add a kind of "gravity" to each letter. You are able to quickly figure out which part of the letter is down because of this feature. It aids in recognizing the correct letter and sometimes helps to keep your brain from rotating them around. Consistently weighted bottoms can also help reinforce the line of text. The unique shapes of each letter can help prevent confusion by flipping and swapping. Open-Dyslexic has recently received favourable coverage from the BBC (http://bbc.com/news/technology-19734341) and is included in many iOS and Android apps. Unlike much other dyslexia or DRD typefaces, OpenDyslexic is completely free for individuals, companies, schools, and in short: everyone. MAINTAINER This extension is being maintained by Robert James Gabriel (https://robertgabriel.ninja). Thanks, Robert James Gabriel! His app Helperbird, which is also for people with accessibility, if you such to support is here (https://www.helperbird.coml) CHANGELOG Full changelog/source code available: https://github.com/OpenDyslexic/opendyslexic-chrome Copying is Love. <3 SOCIAL MEDIA Check out http://OpenDyslexic.org for more information and resources! Like OpenDyslexic on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OpenDyslexic Or follow @OpenDyslexic for news and updates on this extension and OpenDyslexic
- (2020-07-30) Poof poof'd: I can actually understand what im reading now Thankyou
- (2020-03-10) Cam I am: i cant figure out how to use it, whenever i tried using it nothing would change
- (2020-01-09) Peter Ralph: Works perfectly. Runs quietly in the background but can easily be activated when I need it. 10/10
- (2019-12-16) Mecciah Adams: This is the best extension for docs.
- (2019-12-02) Bianca Machado: I wish it would also space the lines of what I'm trying to read
- (2019-10-31) Clay Barnes: A Dyslexia font can't cure all the problems of it, but this does as much for dyslexic readers as any font could hope for (often more)....
- (2019-09-14) Ognjen Ugljenović: Sometimes it implements well and sometimes id doesn't. It depends on the article/page. One of the things that might be REALLY usefull if the First letter of the first word of a sentence is distinct (bolding or changing colour). This might not be universal but it helps me a lot and I think it would help other people too. Making it a toogle would be awesome. Thank you guys for this awesome extension
- (2019-09-03) Rachelle Clark: Super helpful for my son who is homeschooling!
- (2019-07-26) Bella Trout: This is such an amazing plug-in. My only request would be the ability to change the Hover-Highlight function to only highlight sentences instead of whole paragraphs.
- (2019-03-24) I love this font so much!! i have been have a little trouble using it though, the first problem was that the curser was off just a little bit so typing is imposable. Another thing was that when i used to extion on google docs it cut off the words on the end on the page. if those things could be fixed it would be perfect.
- (2019-03-14) Benjamin Burn: Amazing, so easy to read with this. I no longer have to read the same sentence three times for it to make sense.
- (2019-02-14) Maggie Johnson: Literally crying. This helps so much. I don't have to go back and re-read over and over again for comprehension. Thank you <3
- (2019-01-15) Julie Gear: Instant eyeball relief as soon as I installed and toggled it on. This is a great resource for dyslexic readers and writers alike.
- (2018-11-09) Danny P: Great add on I just need to be able to adjust the color from grey to another color around the highlighted areas. Great add on 10 out of 10.
- (2018-10-29) Caterina: Insegno lingue alla scuola secondaria di I grado e sto testando questa estensione a scuola con i miei alunni. Al momento la trovo ottima: facile da installare sui computer della scuola - e questo non è poco - e rapidissima da attivare e disattivare, nel caso in cui i colleghi non la volessero. Aspetto di raccogliere anche il feedback degli studenti, ma per ora sono molto soddisfatta.
- (2018-10-04) YellowHouse CNY: I love having this Typeface on my computer, I just wish Google docs didnt get messed up when i have it on. you would think with all of the different fonts google docs has it would include this one.
- (2018-08-26) Ali McE: I figured out what was happening. I had to restart my browser and then turn the extension back on. I don't know why I didn't think of that at first but it is working 100% now and it's awesome.
- (2018-03-19) Jessica Salmonson: I love this addon btu right now it's not working, so am pretty ticked off. :( Please fix it.
- (2018-03-04) Monica M. Daniel: A special education teacher asked for some help because the film sheets used on computers for students that are dyslexic was lost. I found this and shared it with teacher and counselor. The students are doing great and we didn't need to find the lost sheets. It is so helpful. I will be sharing this extension at a Conference this month.
- (2017-12-07) patrick vale: It would be a great move by Google if they were to help the chromium team integrate dyslexia support features like OpenDyslexic Font into chrome as a first-class accessibility citizen. Many people have trouble with standard fonts, and this font makes reading so much easier and less tiring. Dealing with edge cases to make it integrate smoothly would be ace.
- (2017-12-05) Marc Dechico: with the bbc site and the page http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20171204-the-compelling-case-for-working-a-lot-less the ads conceal a part of the text and I found no way but disable the extension to retrieve it. Work well on simply designed sites like dechico.com. I am a fan of chrome but I have got sick installing four stars extensions that don't work well end lower security and performances. Google should find a way to allow us a way to install only well designed extensions. Perhaps Google should create a confidence indicator that would be based on the number of installation/ uninstallation
- (2017-11-17) Griffin Harmer: cursor would go to the left of me typing
- (2017-10-24) themoonlauncher: nice its cool
- (2017-10-04) mediacao teresiano: bom
- (2017-10-03) marcus foshaug: Fungerer bra
- (2020-08-03, v:10.0.3) Jaimie Altstiel: Using the extension with Office 365 on Chrome
This extension works really well with near every email client. My corporate email uses Office 365/Outlook and this extension alters everything but the actual email contents. It changes the sender, the addressee, the title, and the senders signature, but the contents of the email itself aren't effected. I think the extension may need greater compatibility with 365 but I'm not a developer so I'm not sure if compatibility is the issue.
- (2020-06-12, v:10.0.3) Mathieu Akerley: Tick symbol has no space: " ` "
The tick symbol has no space and overlaps previous character. This behaviour is not the same as when the font is used directly from the computer. It seams the `tick` symbol is used as an accent modifier in this extension.
- (2020-05-29, v:10.0.3) Sean Stumpf: Always on?
Any chance to have this always on instead of having to click to activate it on every website?
- (2020-04-15, v:9.0.1) Ronda Yousha: use
I downlowded the extension but I have no idea how to use it. I wanted my son to be able to read and type documents using this font. please advise.
- (2020-04-03, v:9.0.1) Meredith Chambers: How to use?
Im trying to use this for google docs, but cant find out how i use it. Please respond??
- (2020-03-25, v:9.0.1) Karen Walters: I have the chrome extension and do not know how to apply it like your other customers. Could someone please give us a tip since we are all trying to implement online learning?
can't apply chrome extension
- (2020-03-23, v:9.0.1) Laynie Mack: trouble downloading
It wont let me approve the download on my daughters chromebook
- (2020-03-11, v:9.0.1) Christopher Wood: Using dyslexia font
Ive added the extension, how do I change text to dyslexia font?
- (2020-03-02, v:9.0.1) Madeline Leahy: help
I have added OpenDyslexic to my chrome but i have no idea how to open it/apply it. How do you use this?
- (2020-02-29, v:9.0.1) Donna Alforque: Open Dyslexia font no longer working in Google programs (Docs, Sheets & Slides)
I have been using this amazing add-on feature in the classroom for some time now for converting website fonts as well as Google Docs, Slides and Sheets however in the last few months it has stopped working for Slides, Docs and Sheets. This feature is life changing for many students - could you please rectify this issue with Google software?
- (2020-02-26, v:9.0.1) Karen Toonen: Special characters/images distortion
Hi, I love using OpenDyslexic Font for Chrome app at work. However, some of the sites I order from are "distorted" because of layout issues or lack of special characters. Is there any development to fix these issues? I'd be happy to share screenshots if it would help. Thanks for considering
- (2020-02-18, v:9.0.1) Elias Wunsch: Open Dyslexie
I purchased this font in the fall and it worked fine on my son's Chrome book. It no longer works. The extension is there but we cannot get the Arial font to change to Open Dyslexie. It seems that many people are having this problem. CAn you help? Thank you!
- (2020-02-07, v:9.0.1) Kristin White: Chrome Apps
Can this extension work with Google Docs, Sheets, Forms, Slides, etc?
- (2020-02-06, v:9.0.1) Kristee Ayles: OpenDyslexic Font in Google Docs
Hello: I work with students in Google Docs as we are a Google Suite district. How do I get the OpenDyslexic font to appear as an option for them when typing into Google Docs?
- (2020-02-05, v:9.0.1) Jordyne Rylee: Help Cannot get to work
Have extension added but cannot get the font to appy
- (2020-01-27, v:9.0.1) Davie Yarborough: Google Docs and Open Dyslexic
Aloha! Any chance that Open Dyslexic will be available for use in Google Docs in the near future?
- (2020-01-13, v:9.0.1) Madalena DiCorpo: Not working in Google Docs
OpenDyslexic font is on and is working in Drive, but does not work when opening a document. It reverts back to the default font of Ariel. Please advise.
- (2020-01-13, v:9.0.1) Kellie Flowers: is not working on my Google Doc.
When I look at my Google Drive all the titles are showing up with the font but when I open a document of spelling words to print for my dyslexia students, the font no longer show up. This was working just prior to Thanksgiving.
- (2020-01-07, v:9.0.1) Ruth Davis: Privacy Information
- (2019-12-04, v:7.0.3) Open dyslexic font ipad
Is it possible to use the font on chrome for iPad?
- (2019-11-27, v:7.0.3) Laurel Donohue: Cursor isn't lining up!
I'm having the exact same issue with the cursor not lining up with what is being typed. It's not even close. Help!
- (2019-11-23, v:7.0.3) Tammy Evarts: Printing using Open Dyslexic font
Is there a way I can print very large letters in this font for flashcards? I am a resource room teacher and would like to see if using this font helps my students with the sound/symbol association that they are struggling in acquiring.
- (2019-11-21, v:7.0.3) DanielC Depalo: cursor not aligned correctly
My student is using this font in Google Docs. We notice that the cursor does not align itself with where my student is typing. It gets worse the further to the right that he is typing. It is aligned on the left side of the page, but by the right, it is off by many characters. Thank you.
- (2019-11-13, v:7.0.3) Matthew Cohen: Spacing and commands are not working properly
When I type with the extension enabled, the space, backspace, enter and simply moving the mouse do not work properly
- (2019-11-01, v:7.0.3) Ty Barton: Words off the document
In google docs, when the extension is enabled the words continue past the margins and even off the page. How can I change this?