Blocking time-wasting sites so you can be productive. Privacy conscious, feature rich, and highly customizable!
There are many "web blockers" in the Chrome Web Store but WasteNoTime is the only extension that requires the minimal permission (accessing your browser navigation history only) to do its job. Other extensions like Stayfocusd would require permission to “read and change all your data on all the web sites that you visit”. WasteNoTime is not only privacy conscious but it is highly customizable and feature rich. * Instant Lockdown: Allows you to focus on your work for a period of time undistracted * Per-site setting: Allows you to customize the time quota for a particular web site * Work hour setting: allows you to define separate time quotas for your work and non-work hours * +Links setting: Allows you to track time spent not only on the web site itself but on any link navigated from it. Super useful for web sites like Reddit or Hacker News. * Time Tracker: Gives you reports on what web sites you spent most of your time, for the past day, week, or month Currently supported locales: English, 中文 (Thanks to 赖巍!) If you are interested in localizing this extension in your language, please send me a message at the support web site.
- (2021-11-21) Huzaifa Farooq: It is not blocking the sites
- (2021-11-15) Malik Chefchaouni: Just wish it can block keywords.
- (2021-11-02) lonewolf: Switched between a few but found this one the best. Very simple and does as intended.
- (2021-10-25) Sachin Satawkar: gr8 tool to focus on work. must have tool
- (2021-10-12) Stefan Fay: Excellent!
- (2021-10-11) Nhan Nguyen: It just works! Simple. Not very intuitive but easy to figure out all the settings.
- (2021-10-11) Jennifer: It does what it advertises, and exceptionally well.
- (2021-10-04) L F: gamechanger and non intrusive like similar apps (confirmed with chrome's default extensions bookmark that shows how much access activated apps have to your informationon webpages -- this needs and has NO access to any information on a webpage). Thank you so much for that! I have other Pomodoro style blocking extensions but I now prefer to use the "Instant Lockdown" feature in this app (with "Sites on Block List" blocked only) for it because it blocks sites so much more sensibly. I have to manually restart Pomodoro timers in the other extensions so this one is not that much different to use. Just a tip: I've noticed secured sites without "www." and only "https://" in the address have to be written only with https:// or exactly as it shows in the addres bar to be blocked in the app. Hope it gets updated soon...
- (2021-10-02) Daniel Fischer: Es hilft mir internet zu beschränken und mein Verhalten zu verbessern.
- (2021-09-22) Sonu Mohapatro: GREAT1
- (2021-09-15) Kannan: Exceptional! This is very useful to get over the enticement that the sites seduce you with to keep reading / viewing. Has helped me keep focus on work many many times.
- (2021-08-31) Tyler Sudol: Really simple, like that you can enable it to fully block sites all the time as well!
- (2021-08-29) Laurent Vingtdeux: Couldn't get it to working, and would prefer per-site settings anyway. LeechBlock is much more reliable and flexible.
- (2021-08-29) Brumarul: Really good if u want to boost your productivity.
- (2021-08-25) Vihaan: It is awesome i had my exams and i was distracted by discord and youtube i wasted many hr on them but now i dont waste a single hr on them as i can not open those sites it is really usefull app sorry for by bad English
- (2021-08-21) Thủy Nguyễn: This is the best extension which I've used. Thanks to it, I can concentrate on my online class as well as assignment, instead of surfing the internet or sth like that. However, there is one thing I want to improve. Can you prevent us form deleting links (or pages) in Blocklist after applying Instant Lockdown? If my proposal comes true, your extension will be absolutely perfect. Again, thanks a lot
- (2021-08-18) N H: best app ever
- (2021-08-11) Zach Siegel: Seems good. Hopefully it is not selling my data!
- (2021-08-05) Matthew Zimmerman: I find this has been the most thorough time extension for keeping me from spending too much time on the web. Many of the productivity extensions will not allow you to include time spent on links from Reddit as part of the total, but this one does. Take your time back!!
- (2021-07-30) Eldoka NaBlokach: Useful
- (2021-07-24) Nhật Thảo Phan: A simple, elegant and effective tool to avoid procrastination. Very conducive to my productivity.
- (2021-07-19) Dyah Palupi: The extension I can't live without
- (2021-07-18) prabhushan kumar: xcellent Features
- (2021-07-17) P: Good, like the time based approach, though it has some flaws. Like if you include linked content, like the default for reddit, and on the block site click on the review us or Bumblebee Systems links it seems to still count that as linked content and gets blocked. Also when it interrupted me while writing a comment I decided to abandon that comment because it was unimportant but the "leave page" dialog kept popping up again when accepting. Though it is possible that that happens because I use it in Opera instead of Chrome.
- (2021-07-15) Jason: This is a great program. I would like to make a suggestion to make it even better. Could you make it request a password so we can't uninstall it without a password? Thank you so much for helping us to stop wasting time online.
- (2021-07-09) Jason F: Helpful and powerful extension to keep you away from distraction!
- (2021-07-02) Khánh Vân: perfect. It completely blocks websites that distract me, thank you
- (2021-06-25) devil choudhary: best to avoid distractions
- (2021-06-19) Jun Ivanne Dalman: Hi, just want to give some suggestion. 1. A customizable quota in different time range will be amazing like 6:00 AM - 7:00 AM and I can customize the time quota to ‘15 minutes only in work hour and 0 for outside work hour’. It will be helpful since the total time quota seems too strict. I’ve been using your extension for a long now, thank you very much for this free program.
- (2021-06-18) Mette dHond: It is really good. I absolutely think it is so annoying. You cannot get around the block. Which is great because I have no self discipline so it really is great help. When you are a master procrastinator I highly recommend trying it out.
- (2021-06-16) Karmendra Shrestha: This is the one extension I found which has so many features and is free. It is very useful. However the editing of the restrictions isn't quite intuitive and the website needs to be refurbished.
- (2021-06-11) Zainul Asyraaf: It's a very simple and straightforward app yet very very effective. I particularly like the lockdown feature which is perfect for those that really needs some control on their browsing. Loved it. Wanna stop procrastinating? This extension is for you.
- (2021-06-11) Krisztian Pasztor: Great, because You can set different timers for different sites. For some reason other similar extensions does not allow this.
- (2021-06-07) Diogo Silva: Allows to configure severe time intervals which is ideal to allow you to be distracted during a break or lunch time. Highly recommend it since it's a simple setup and then you don't ever need to look back. Only thing I'd like to see implemented is an option to mark a day as day off or holiday. Right now on those days I just disable the extension.
- (2021-05-31) X. Breogán COSTA: It could be nice, but sometimes you might be writing something important in Twitter (I added it to the list, you know some public offices use it, although a lot of useless stuff there as well), and it just push the page to leave Twitter and go to the extension one, loosing the message... You should notify in Twitter "time expired", and we could have the change to temporary (and manually) disable the extension to finish the twitt and send it. Maybe always notifying the expiration countdown, as you do in other sites?
- (2021-05-28) Elmer Buys: I wish that the waste no time waring site would also disapear it is just as anoying as the site i tried to block. What is the use of this app if i have to close the warning site just as i did with the popup site. no use for this app. thanks
- (2021-04-27) Pudding Lemon: Really useful, straight to the point.
- (2021-04-25) Aneta Kahleová: It is all free! And functional <3 thnxxx
- (2021-04-22) Andy Gurr: I previously rated WNT 5* (2015) then temporarily 1* (2017) when additional permissions were required without explaining first. Hopefully a minor blip today. After using for a long time, I wanted to edit the settings today but I can't because I need a password. I am going to guess that I set this at some point and have forgotten to put password in my password manager. Real problem is that I can't see anything in documentation about password/resetting.
- (2021-04-21) Pratyush Srivastava: Amazing application! UI could have been better.
- (2021-04-15) 純一: Time Trackerでどのサイトを何時間見てたか調べたくてインストールしましたがなぜかモニタースリープ中の時間（ラップトップパソコンで蓋閉じてるとき）もカウントされてしまうのでちょっと不満
- (2021-04-12) Yuan Shi: I rarely write reviews but this is the best, most flexible and effective extension for productivity I've ever used. For example, I use youtube to listen to music while working but I don't want to start watching random videos that are recommended to me. This app allows for such personalized settings (by white-listing a few music radios channels) and is just so useful. I strongly recommend enabling the challenge so that you don't cheat by editing the settings.
- (2021-04-06) khouloud gargouri: So far, so good. The little proverbs are very inspiring!
- (2021-03-30) Hon Jia Xuan: awesome website, but the "always block" setting is hard to discover.
- (2021-03-27) Ekaterina Konon: love the result! Thank you very much! Especially love how gently it reminds you to stay productive and work. Perfect i you need to block some websites and stay focused. Easily arranged 15 minutes for each website.
- (2021-03-22) Summer Agnes: very useful
- (2021-03-10) Abdus Shakur: Great at blocking distractions.
- (2021-03-06) CJ Coleman: It's good in theory but just to easy to get around, either by uninstalling or just opening an incognito tab. I know its not the developers fault, they cant stop you uninstalling an extension. its a good deterrent that gets you to start working, but its up to you if you really want to stop working. One suggestion would be to make it remember which instant lockdown mode you had it on. often ill start an instant lockdown on the wrong mode and then have to uninstall and reinstall, delaying my work more as its blocked all of google, which i need for my work. Decent extension though!
- (2021-03-06) Achilles Buena: None of my kids are wasting time now. Some websites are locked 4 hours a day. That 4 hours is used for studying and home work. No youtube, no facebook, no distraction.
- (2021-02-25) aalia ali: Loved it
- (2021-11-20, v:18.104.22.16898) Malik Chefchaouni: Keyword Blocking
Is it possible to add the keyword blocking function? It will be really helpful.
- (2021-10-03, v:22.214.171.12498) Nhan Nguyen: Please have a dark mode
Having a dark mode will help me a lot! Thank you!
- (2021-08-11, v:126.96.36.19998) AF I: Blocking different site for different duration
I blocked one site from 9am to 6pm with allowing 15 mins within the blocking time period and 180 mins outside of the blocking period. But I'd like to block another site for the same blocking time period (9am-6pm) but without allowing any single mins within and outside of the blocking time period. I just wonder if it is possible to do that? I am looking forward to hearing your reply. Thanks,
- (2021-08-04, v:188.8.131.5298) Hon Jia Xuan: "Do not track the following site" on Time Tracker not working
Here is how I used it, but it still track these websites, "*.slack.com","*.google.com","*.messenger.com","*.whatsapp.com","docs.google.com", "mail.google.com", "web.whatsapp.com", "google.com", "app.slack.com", "github.com", "meet.google.com", "translate.google.com", "calendar.google.com", "stackoverflow.com"
- (2021-07-15, v:184.108.40.20698) Jason: Block site from icon is not working
Hello. This is a great program, and it was working fine. But now the block site easy block without password no longer works. I have to manually add it to blocked list. Am I doing something wrong?
- (2021-07-01, v:220.127.116.1198) Eric Johnston: Allow C:/
I would like to be able to access htm files stored on my computer while blocking the internet. What do I put in the Allow List to maintain access to these files? They all begin file:///C:/Users/johnster, but I've tried various things, and they are always blocked when I use Instant Lockdown to block "All Sites except those on Allow List." I had this set up so it worked just fine on a previous computer, but when that one died I couldn't make it work on my new computer. (Is there a way to access my old allow list?) Thank you, Eric Johnston Newark, NJ
- (2021-06-06, v:18.104.22.16898) Emily Cao: Little number on icon showing how much time left won't disappear
The little number that pops up when I have only a few minutes left on a blocked site and starts counting down to zero popped up, got stopped at 17 (17 seconds left I believe) before I navigated away, but now the 17 won't go away so it looks like I have 17 seconds left on any website I visit, though it no longer counts down.
- (2021-05-03, v:22.214.171.12498) Mark Van Oyen: White List
You indicate how to bock all sites. Couple this with a white list and you will be able to allow a school site without allowing others, for example.
- (2021-05-01, v:126.96.36.19998) Hassan Mostafa: Contribute in Extension Translation
Dear Waste NoTime Team, Of course i want to help your effective Extension. Arabic is my mother tongue. And English is language for my study and my work. I am ready to complete the translation in the Extension for free. Thanks
- (2021-03-11, v:188.8.131.5298) Patu: Time resets
Every time I close the browser and open it again, the time allowed resets. If i put 2 hours as the global timer, it will start the countdown, but if i close and reopen the browser, it starts again at 2 hours.
- (2021-02-21, v:184.108.40.20698) Jonny Davis: Chromebook Usage
Does this work with chromebooks too? Thank you.
- (2021-02-19, v:220.127.116.1198) Tets Mats: how to turn off challenge?
I can not find how to turn off the challenge feature once turned on.
- (2021-02-16, v:18.104.22.16898) Imran Sagor: Localization
Is anyone available to chat? I am interested in localizing this extension in my language, please reply ASAP. My email: [email protected]
- (2021-02-10, v:22.214.171.12498) Ania: Sites gone??!!
Oh my gosh, I don't know what's happening. All of my WasteNoTime settings are gone. I have over 400 sites in allowed and blocked that I've been building up for over a year. Can someone please help me? I actually rely on WasteNoTime so much and have put quite a bit of work into adding 400+ sites into block/allow lists.
- (2021-01-21, v:126.96.36.19998) Rom Pic: Private navigation
If I open my browser in "private navigation" the blocker doesn't work anymore. Is it possible to fix it ?
- (2021-01-21, v:188.8.131.5298) Rom Pic: Private navigation
If I open my browser in "private navigation" the blocker doesn't work anymore. Is it possible to fix it ?
- (2021-01-12, v:184.108.40.20698) Michael Hartley: Permanently blocked site
Hi I used your software a few years ago to block youtube, I have clicked allow, taken youtube off the block, downloaded and redownloaded but basically my computer permanently blocks youtube now. Any help would be appreciated.
- (2021-01-11, v:220.127.116.1198) Kaeto Romik: Extension not working
I use this extension basically to block myself from Twitter and Tumblr so I will stop scrolling endlessly. So I don't use any of the timed features, only the instant lockdown. However, lately it has run into a bug where if, say, I am on twitter when I click the instant lockdown, it will work great. but if I open another tab with one of the blocked sites in it later, it will load the site and then sort of hang. The tab indicates it is still loading, but it never redirects away from the blocked site, and the blocked site retains all functionality. Worse, it causes any new tabs I open to fail to load anything, regardless of whether they are blocked or not. This bug also keeps Chrome in background processes when I close it, despite the fact that I have set Chrome to not remain in the background when closed, forcing me to find and disable the Chrome process using the most memory (usually about 50-75mb, if that matters) in order to actually close Chrome, since closing any of the other multiple processes just causes it to open more. I have tried disabling and re-enabling, force-restarting Chrome, re-installing the extension, and doing all of the above in combination with restarting my computer. Nothing fixes it. For reference I am using Chrome Version 87.0.4280.141 on a Windows 10 computer. This is a great extension and I really liked using it before it broke, so I hope you can help with whatever is making it do this.
- (2021-01-08, v:18.104.22.16898) Reed Horwitz: Data export
Hi! I absolutely love the project and it's already made me more productive. I also think that the Time Tracking feature is independently awesome. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to be able to export my time tracking data? Thanks!
- (2020-09-17, v:22.214.171.12498) Savannah Miguel: Buggy
Today the app keeps blocking websites without a timer turned on, and it will not stop doing this unfortunately. Very inconvenient!
- (2020-09-10, v:126.96.36.19998) Amanda Smith: lockdown default settings
Hi, can i change the lockdown default so that it starts on "blocked sites" instead of "all sites except the allowed sites" -- when I forget to move the clicker, I end up messing up and have to unintstall the extension in order to get my work done. I'd prefer to change my default settings here. Thanks!
- (2020-09-02, v:188.8.131.5298) Tobias Heer: Features and a Bug
Hi, i got an really important Feature that i'm missing. 1.I'm using the extention to force me to go to bed. But the Time resetsat midnight. I want to be able to set the Resetpoint myself. 2.It would be nice to have an Reward System where you can extend the timeout. Everyday one Reward Point and you can collect the rewards if you not using them. 3. I would like to see the Time directly in the Icon or an an Overlay so i can see how much i have left. 4. the Challage can be really easy removed when you know JS. I think a live evaluation where you really have to type and every letter is checks whould be better vs.the current one if check 5. On option to reset the current timer would be nice I'm going to donate if you can Implement the first Request. :)
- (2020-08-12, v:184.108.40.20698) Mabel Kim: Suggestion: Add multiple blocklists
Would it be possible to add multiple block lists? This is a good idea if you want different sites to have different time limits (Ex. 30 mins for Facebook and 1 hour on YouTube).
- (2020-06-21, v:220.127.116.1198) Michael Camacho: "Advanced Settings" -> "Warning Message" description
When I first read "Display a warning message X minutes before a site is to be blocked.", I didn't realise it referred to an awesome countdown timer! It sounded like it would be a one-time popup or something like that. I think maybe it could be phrased better? Had I realised sooner what it actually did, I would've started using it immediately! Now I set the warning threshold to 60 minutes so that it's much easier to manage my browsing time. I'd probably set it even higher if it wasn't always in seconds. ;) Great extension, by the way! I really like it. :)
- (2020-06-13, v:18.104.22.16898) Avery Bell: Extension did not work today
Usually have no issue with the extension, but today for some reason it just didn't' work. In the metrics its not even showing that it saw me on any websites, though my browser history shows I spent 3.5 hours on social media that should have been blocked.
- (2020-06-06, v:22.214.171.12498) Dhruv Erry: How to block all domains with specific keyword
Hello, How can I block all URLs containing a particular keyword? For example 'football', so any website containing the word football in its URL will be blocked? Thanks
- (2020-06-01, v:126.96.36.19998) pankaj jhawar: instant lockdown time
Is it not possible to increase the instant lockdown time like for a week? Right not we can block only for a day max.
- (2020-05-23, v:188.8.131.5298) G Vk: Global time quota AND custom quota
I want to use both global time quota and custom quota at the same time. Let's say I have 1 hour quota. And I don't want to spend more than 40 minues total on YouTube or Reddit. However, I don't want either of those to exceed 1 hour total. So I can do 30+30=60, or 40+20=60. But not 40+40 > 60 minutes.
- (2020-05-18, v:184.108.40.20698) Ryota Watanabe: A request
Please add an option to display the "Time Tracker" graph when I click on the Chrome Ex icon displayed next to the site bar. Thanks!
- (2020-05-14, v:220.127.116.1198) Raghav Raipuria: Bug in Time Tracker
Something is really broken in Time Tracker. I installed another extension to compare time i am spending on each site and they are differ a lot. Just now i spend around 37 min on gmail but it is showing only 14 min. and for some time it is showing more time than actual. Please fix it to make it great again
- (2020-05-12, v:18.104.22.16898) Raghav Raipuria: Bug in Time Tracker
Since few days when I am using any site in full screen mode then it is not tracking time. And sometime when there is youtube video is playing on chrome in main tab and if I switch between apps on pc then it is still tracking time. Please fix the issue, this extension helped me to aware of myself on which site I am spending my time
- (2020-05-09, v:22.214.171.12498) Mother Myrophora: Safari 13.1
Are you planning to update WasteNoTime for Safari13.1? I wish I'd known it wouldn't work before I updated....I could have saved my settings.
- (2020-04-29, v:126.96.36.19998) yu bubble: The safari version cannot be used
I cannot find this extension on Apple App Store. The one downloading directly from the website cannot be applied to safari either.
- (2020-04-12, v:188.8.131.5280) lyscop li: Suggest the time flow shows in pop up page when click the extension
When I want to look the time I take to the website, I click the extension then click the link time follow, it is better I think if the time follow can show in the pop up page when I click the extension. I want to know whether the time follow can be record, and how long it can be record.
- (2020-03-23, v:184.108.40.20680) Amit tzah: Suggestion
If you could make the challenge harder by lengthening the string, this extension would be perfect.
- (2020-03-09, v:220.127.116.1180) Maxim Kudryavtsev: How can I get access to the code of WasteNoTime
Good evening. Do you publish the code of extension on GitHub? What under the licence the code distributed, GPLv2, Apache, Proprietary??
- (2020-01-30, v:18.104.22.16880) Confucius Wisdom: Not working for Youtube.com
Hi I added Youtube.com to the "Blocked list". But it seems I can watch Youtube for as long as watch regardless the time limit I set. Anything I did wrong? Under Advanced Setting, there is "Idle detection". How does it affect the behavior of this extension? Thanks.
- (2020-01-26, v:22.214.171.12480) Nick Chrissis: can't add exception for local pdf files
Hello, I have your extension installed on Chrome and it works great apart from the fact that I can't use Chrome anymore for reading local pdf files. I tried adding the whole adres line to the allow list and and just the folder location but it wouldn't work. Is there a proper way to add an exception that I am missing?
- (2019-12-23, v:126.96.36.19980) Francesco Suriano: Suggestions to add some LeechBlock NG features
Hi, I think that WasteNoTime is probably the best extension to block distractions, however I would appreciate some features similar to the LeechBlock NG ones. Something like categories of sites, for example social networks (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube) so I can block the total amount of social network used. Also LeechBlock NG gives the possibility to set a Time Quota for custom periods of time (15min, 30min, hour, 2h, 4h, 6h, 8h, 12h, day, 2d, 3d, 4d, 1 week, screen: https://i.imgur.com/1Mver2R.png)
- (2019-11-12, v:188.8.131.5280) Kasper Hoffmann: Instant lockdown - default block list
Hello. First off, im super happy to use WasteNoTime. I have one suggestion though. I often use Instant Lockdown, when im using too much time on reddit etc. But i will often accidentally block ALL sites, because it is the default choice. Is there any way to have my block sites be the default selection for instant lockdown?
- (2019-10-28, v:184.108.40.20680) Christian Kocmick: Chrome Extension Blocking
Wastenotime is nearly perfect. I have been using it for nearly a year now. One small problem, though. It is blocking an extension that I need for work. How do I unblock it?
- (2019-10-18, v:220.127.116.1180) RC Tumlos: Can't access YouTube even outside working hours
I had set up the "Time allowed per day" for 30mins - within working hours and 3hrs outside working hours. In my understanding, I would be able to access Youtube while on my working hours but only for 30mins. After that browser will block me if it reached more than that. But when I access YouTube outside my working hours which i set up for 3hrs. I still can't do YouTube. Why is that?
- (2019-09-19, v:18.104.22.16880) Bethany Liu: URGENT!! I CAN NOT USE THIS EXTENSION ON SAFARI! PLEASE HELP!!
Legacy Safari Extensions (.safariextz files) built with Safari Extension Builder are not supported in Safari 13 on macOS Catalina, macOS Mojave, or macOS High Sierra. The Safari Extensions Gallery for legacy extensions will no longer be available in September, 2019. Users on macOS High Sierra or later can easily find extensions on the Mac App Store by choosing Safari Extensions from the Safari menu.
- (2019-08-25, v:22.214.171.12480) Meir Brooks: Global time doesn't seem to work
Hi, I downloaded WasteNoTime and most of the features work very well, thank you! But when I list websites on custom time quotas, they don't activate the global time quota, even though on your website it says "Notice that, for sites with custom time limit, the global time limit still applies." Do you know why this is happening? Thank you and all the best
- (2019-08-20, v:126.96.36.19980) Dennis Lima: Por favor, volte a atualizar essa incrível ferramenta!
É um pedido de um fã dessa extensão!
- (2019-06-19, v:188.8.131.5280) Sarah Schneider: Time is an hour off
The time of day in the Browser extension is an hour behind my actual time. My computer tame and date settings are correct, so I'm not sure what is causing the discrepancy.
- (2019-06-19, v:184.108.40.20680) Jim Van Meggelen: Problem with Windows Virtual Desktops - window open in a background desktop has its time counted.
I use multiple virtual desktops in windows. If I have a desktop in the background (i.e. I'm viewing a different desktop), the plugin counts time against whatever is open on that desktop. For example, I had stackoverflow open in an idle window, and the morning when I started my day it showed over 450 minutes against that (even though my PC was actually locked at the time). A useful addition would be to determine whether the desktop being counted is in use before counting time against any windows on that desktop. Great app, thanks for making it!
- (2019-06-19, v:220.127.116.1180) Angela Chan: Option to disable editing settings during block time
An option to have no challenges and completely block the user from editing during the time they're working would be nice.
- (2019-06-08, v:18.104.22.16880) Bethany Haskell: Phone browser
I'd like to use this extension on my Samsung phone, which runs google chrome. How can I download this extension onto my phone rather than my computer?