Organize your downloads automatically! Set custom download locations based on filetype, filename, or source domain.
Latest news: ☆ Torrent files downloaded as octet-streams now trigger application/x-bittorrent MIME routing rules ☆ Referrer routing now uses the source URL as a fallback, improving reliability Downloads Router is a tiny extension that helps you avoid cleaning the dreaded "Downloads" folder by automatically saving files in the right places. Downloads Router springs into action whenever you start downloading a file. It looks at the filename, filetype, or origin domain (source website) of the item, and matches this information against rules that you define on the extension's Options page. Should a matching rule exist, a "suggestion" is sent to the browser, indicating where it should save the file; this suggestion may however be overridden, as for instance when you use the "Save As..." feature. The Options page opens automatically after installing the extension, and may thereafter be reached from the chrome://extensions page.
- (2021-01-13) Francesca G: It works perfectly and it is easy to understand even for non-super techies like me. Very useful to organize your download folder if, like me, you often download files from the same sites.
- (2021-01-06) Laz from Budapest: Works fine but the instructions are difficult to understand. Tip: do NOT include the full path in the "Destination folder". So, for example, if the default download location set in Chrome is "C:\Downloads", and you want to create a rule to save all files with the word "monkey" into "C:\Downloads\Animals\Mammals", then create a rule as follows: Filename: "monkey" Destination folder: "Animals\Mammals" Hope this helps others out.
- (2020-12-24) Heath: 4 stars. Love it. Would be 5 stars if it accepted wildcards MIME types such as "image/*" and "video/*"
- (2020-12-22) juan lopez: wow
- (2020-12-10) Joshua Kisb: Unnecessarily complicated. would be very easy to improve some of the pain points mentioned in many other reviews that've been there for years. drop down for mime, auto subdomain or wildcard, subfolders based on name, etc etc. Needs improvement
- (2020-11-14) Dave Devoll: Have been using for years in Chrome. Just installed in the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge browser, and it's working perfectly so far. An export/import feature would've been nice (I had to copy/paste all my mappings) but considering the time this saves me, not a big deal.
- (2020-09-26) Макс Пушкин: Неработающая шляпа.
- (2020-09-14) Bryson Ewell: It works great, but it occasionally resets all of its data (likely after a chrome update). This makes it a bit of a pain to use as you have to re-setup everything every few months. It is 5 stars otherwise.
- (2020-07-11) Robert Chapin: Does nothing. Downloads follow my Chrome settings no matter what I do in this extension.
- (2020-04-01) Doc Cool: Lange nach gesucht und endlich gefunden. Nachdem ich von Firefox zu Chrome gewechselt bin, nervte mich extrem, dass sich in Chrome die Downloadpfade nicht gemerkt werden und ich jedesmal durch den Explorer klicken muss. Jetzt kann ich nach Domain, Filetype, Dateiname/Endung das Downloadverzeichnis vorbelegen. Das ist jetzt sogar noch besser als in Firefox, auch wenn es anfangs ein bisschen Verwaltungsarbeit macht. Die Oberfläche ist aber übersichtlich gemacht und auch die richtigen Tipps (mit mklink) werden da gleich angezeigt. Kompliment an den Programmierer. Alles richtig gemacht!
- (2020-02-10) Flackon INC: Just awesome!!! Can I download to any folder outside my Downloads folder? For example, I want to download to ~/xyz_site_downloads [Using MacOS]
- (2019-08-13) Arseniy P: not working in mobile chrome(kiwi browser, yandex browser...) wanted autoroute xxx content in smartphone. kiwi asked where to save for new downloads image/video. and download into default folder anyway -( my rules by names. 480P --> video/xxxmp4, (m=* --> xxxpics. its not worked( need to try video download addons with autoroutes path folders in abylities/options. many addons this type norm+- working in mobile chrome. even without context menu/right click in mobile chrome.
- (2019-05-16) Pedro Aj: Tried everything I could come up with but just could not get this extension to work. Always downloads the files to the default folder or asks me where I want it. A few examples would be great (filename, filetype, etc), otherwise it's useless.
- (2019-01-30) Clip board: Gutes Programm aber mir fehlt die Funktion zu exportieren oder zu importieren
- (2018-12-04) Does not work completely. Even with a basic rule with just a keyword.
- (2018-09-14) Raule Blanko: Does not work with referrer domains
- (2018-06-26) Lyle S: all i want to do is route a specific file type to a folder but it doesnt seem to work and the instructions are so confusing :( the file type is ".phz"
- (2018-06-03) Doug Belchamber: Great little plugin, with good docs. Works very well :-)
- (2018-05-20) M O Kaiser: Awsome! I love it
- (2018-03-21) Pak U Tube: it isn't working anymore
- (2018-01-22) Александра Нев: Wonderful application, it took some time to adjust the settings but the result is 100% worth it! A possibility to import and export the rules would be very useful however. Просто потрясающее приложение, понадобилось некоторое время, чтобы все настроить, но результат стоит того 100%!
- (2018-01-21) FoXSempai: Extreamly handy extention, thanks!
- (2017-12-28) Cinique LeNoir: It's a fantastic extension, but it needs improvements. - An import/export settings feature - the ability to automatically create folders - dropdown options for mime types
- (2017-12-26) Djanilson Alves: It's amazing BUT... should have a method of exporting the settings, since I already had to change the machine 2 times since I knew this extension and had to reconfigure everything (T.T)
- (2017-11-25) at sh: I only used one configuration to enable download to souce domain folders just to give a try and after working with it for a week, I found that it is the best to organize downloads.
- (2017-10-18) Wolf: I can begin to express how much I love this, would it be possible for an extension to create a folder? I was thinking per-site subfolder of an already matching rule.
- (2017-10-08) Rabinoperra: as always, i love this add and is the only reason to stay in chrome. but it will be a HUGE improvement to have an export settings button. PLEASE include this feature in the nearly future
- (2017-08-28) Dormidont Evlampiy: I make a rule (eg, images to save in "downloads/images" folder), but sometimes I want several images to go to some other folder (eg. B folder, save as...) and it always opens IMAGES folder, not the last chosen. That irritates.
- (2017-07-27) Dan Leyzberg: Great extension! Took a while to debug, but works like a charm now! A tip I discovered -- one way to get around the fact that you can only route to a subfolder of your browser's download folder, without having to clutter your downloads folder with a bunch of symlinks, is: 1. Set Chrome's downloads folder to be your root (i.e., "C:/" on Windows or "/" on Mac), or your Users folder. 2. Add all the rules you want. 3. As the last rule, add a filename of .* which matches all filenames, and enter your usual downloads folder as the destination. This way, if none of your rules are matched, your file will go to your usual downloads folder. No symlinks necessary! My only question is -- is there a way to match all subdomains? I want to route everything from *.example.com, because the site I'm using changes its subdomain based on server. There doesn't seem to be a way to do this. Also, another tip, to match TV shows, you can use the expression s\d\de\d\d which matches anything of the form: S01E01 or s04e10.
- (2017-05-16) tronbin tron.tron.: sometimes non-working on japanese operating environment.
- (2017-05-10) Fabián Valencia: UBER COMPLICATED!
- (2017-04-07) 佐藤太郎: 正直英語だからかなり使いづらい。だけど、まあ簡単な使い方ならグーグル翻訳でだいたい分かるからそれだけでも十分使える、と思う。
- (2017-03-24) The only thing I'm missing from this extension is a simple import/export rules option. (Though given the date this was last updated, I don't hold my hands high in anticipation of seeing this feature soon, if at all. :)) Five stars because the extension itself is really reliable and easy to set up otherwise, so thanks!
- (2017-03-18) Warmuser: Works great, but conflict with the "No More Duplicates" extension.. Please, fix these problem! :) Does not route any files after the latest chrome update!!!
- (2017-02-15) NANDHA GOPAN: Needs Improvement, But Still Giving It 5 Stars Because Its An Absolute Necessity For Me And There's Nothing Else Out There That Does This... A Drop Down Menu with All Possible MIME Types And Suggestions For Rules Is The Next Most Important & Required Feaature, Since It'll Make Rule making Easier... Also, Interface Needs Bit Of Improvement...
- (2017-02-15) bonobo: Not the best, because if i for example want to download from site that has different hyperlink after domain and obviously I can't name them all. So if you can fix that it would be 5 star
- (2020-05-20, v:0.8.1) mr00: Export Configuration?
Hello! Is there a way to export the configuration of Downloads Router? I have multiple PCs (Windows)... Thank you very much! BR, Raphael
- (2020-03-15, v:0.8.1) Judah Altaras: all downloads go to "undefined" folder
I've enabled the global referrer folder mappings in the options but still all downloads go into a "undefined" folder
- (2020-03-06, v:0.8.1) Gregory Z: Specify Email?
Is there a provision for using DR to route downloads from emails (GMail, although I suspect the RFC for email would make this generic) to specific folders, say by sender? (ie, from:[email protected] to Jane Smith folder...)
- (2019-11-20, v:0.8.1) Juan Pablo Cadena Aguilar: MKV location
Good evening, I'm having an issue with mkv files I download from some sites, this servers change their domains most of the time so I can't change the url everytime. What is the correct way to set videos in an specific folder? I used "video/x-matroska" but it's not working. Can you help me please? Thanks. Great extension btw! :D
- (2019-06-18, v:0.8.1) Daniel Clavijo: not working
- (2019-03-07, v:0.8.1) not working
Hi, I need your help to set this up. I downloaded it, insert rule relating to filenames, tested it and it only goes to download
- (2019-01-06, v:0.8.1) Michael Gile: does this extension still work?
i have been using it without issues for years, but seems to have stopped working recently Version 71.0.3578.98
- (2019-01-03, v:0.8.1) Eric K.: URL Routing
Is it possible to use specific URLs rather than domains to route a download? The domain is the same and it exports the same filename/file type but the url is different. It would be amazing if there was a workaround of if this functionality could be added.
- (2018-10-02, v:0.8.1) Didier Stadelmann: Which Licence
Hello, Thanks for this plugin. I would like to know under which licence this plugin is published, i.e. if I can reuse and extend it for non commercial use ? Thanks
- (2018-08-29, v:0.8.1) Tobias Biehl: Text field to test filenames
Would be really nice to have a text field where you could paste in file names and check your regex filename filters and highlight the folder it would be moved to. PS: Love the extension otherwise! :)
- (2018-07-11, v:0.8.1) tisu enduo: problem solved
have a conflict with the latest "chrono" extension. error: this extension can't rename the download file as 'blabla' because anthoner extension (ID) has renamed the file 'blabla2'
- (2018-07-11, v:0.8.1) tisu enduo: not working？
not working in chrome version 67.0.3396.99? permission required? I have set the "Filename keyword" as "*.json" and the folder "aa",but those downloaded json file not moved to the destination folder~
- (2018-03-24, v:0.8.1) Rasko Lazic: Question regarding referrer routing
Ive set the referrer routing folder, and it does work, but now everything gets saved in that folder. Do I need a default rule of some kind?