This extension lets you customise the title of any tab.
This extension lets you change the title of the current tab to something more descriptive. You can even 'lock' a title to a tab, even if you navigate to a different page! Please note that this will not work well on websites which dynamically change the tile of the page, or only change parts of the page while navigating (e.g Facebook), or if you type a new URL in (but I'm trying to find a way around the last one) Chrome Extensions cannot affect any pages that are part of the Chrome Web Store, so don't forget to open another web page before testing it! Permissions - I realise the permissions required are quite broad, unfortunately this is required to run the necessary code on any tab. The source code is available for public inspection at http://github.com/alexbate/RenameTab
- (2021-01-04) Kita S.: Terrific extension, very useful! Haven't tested the "lock title" feature as I don't need it, so can't say anything about that. The keybind to bring up the "rename tab" dialog is also a very useful feature, saves me the effort of having to reach for the mouse
- (2020-12-11) Brandy Gamblin: I usually have ton of tabs open for work and often have numerous instances of tabs from the same site, so the icon looks the same and even the first few characters of the tab name might look the same. Instead of hunting around through the tabs & sometimes accidentally closing one b/c I hit the "x" instead of the negligible space of the tab, I have this extension. This extension is a GOD SEND!!!!!!! Being able to label my three different gmail tabs and the 7+ different google docs tabs - Crazy Useful. My only complaint is that the tab names go away after a while (time span of a day or so) & I have to rename them. I'm not sure what changes, but this is a minor inconvenience. Thank you for this extension!
- (2020-12-07) Nicholas Wells: I just wanted to keep my tabs organized while they were briefly cluttered with documents and this extension did the trick. Simple, no frills, exactly what I needed. No complaints from me.
- (2020-11-08) Lachie Mcmillan: Does the trick
- (2020-02-13) Pacomatic: It doesn't even work. I'm on mac plz fix
- (2019-10-17) Eunice Vacalares: The "Lock Title" feature actually locks my entire browser, I can't click on anything can't even close Google chrome without going to task manager and killing it. Very bugged.
- (2019-08-19) August Mohr: The "Report a bug" link in the menu just takes you to the Chrome Web Store, so you have to search for the extension to be able to contact the developer, and then that is only through the Web Sotre "Support" page, not directly. If you use the "Lock Title" option a second time on the same tab, your tab title will flip back and forth between the two. Using "Lock Title" a third time results in quickly cycling between three titles. The only cure is deleting the tab. If you don't use "Lock Title", your title may revert, especially if the page is automatically updated like Google Drive/Docs, FaceBook, email, weather, or status pages of many kinds. That leaves this extension as a "Use ONLY ONCE per tab" tool. If you typo your title, you're better off leaving it be.
- (2019-04-27) michaelnelson1024: I really like this extension, but it would cause my browser to crash occasionally using the Lock Tab feature. Also, if the Lock Tab Feature had been usedalready on a tab, and then I tried to change it (I'm OCD so spelling errors would bug me, or sometimes I changed what I wanted the shorthand to be), it wouldn't save the new title; even if I opened a new tab. The premise is awesome, just needs a little sanding, but other than that, really liked it.
- (2019-04-01) Виталий Юрьевич: after reboot the name disappears
- (2019-02-14) In Mo Kang: The most useful Chrome Extension I have ever used. This really saved me from loosing track when I work on many tabs.
- (2019-02-05) John Brautigam: I used it and employed the "lock" feature. Next time I opened the browser, the names had disappeared. Great concept but isn't working for me.
- (2018-10-10) Blake Holloway: Works, unlike tab titler
- (2018-05-11) Val Ellis: tabs automatically change back after a few minutes lol why? pointless extension
- (2018-05-09) Liang Peng: Just looking for a ext that can modify current tab title. Simple and get the job done! Thanks!
- (2018-04-04) Kris Walsh: Simple! Perfect! Thank You!
- (2018-02-27) John Langford: Works exactly as advertised.
- (2017-11-26) George Valek: didnt work for me
- (2017-11-01) George Schneiderman: Does what it says. Simple, useful, just what I was looking for.
- (2017-09-04) Brendan Morahan: Doesn't work.
- (2017-09-01) Robert Collins: Just started using it like 5 mins ago, but it does everything I need it to do. I usually have a lot of tabs open simultaneously for work, this makes it so much easier to organize especially if used in conjunction with the Spaces extension.
- (2017-08-03) Ashkan A: crashes the broswer
- (2017-05-24) Rich Lewis: Allows to rename a tab, but also to lock the title so that it doesn't get changed again. However, reloading the page resets the title.
- (2017-04-23) Júnior Silva: Very good! Works perfectly! For those who want, you can create a shortcut to rename the tab, by default it is ctrl + Shift + A. Ma you can go to the Chrome extension tab, below you have * Keyboard shortcuts *, search for the extension and choose the shortcut. Thank you for developing this extension!
- (2017-04-11) King GeneraL: perfect, it would be cool if we can rename with own custom shortcut
- (2017-02-21) Jeff Doyle: This extension does exactly what it says on the tin. It helps with my work flow immensely as I often have multiple tabs open, and sometimes it's difficult to distinguish between certain tabs with obscure links. Would recommend to someone who needs visibility over all of their tabs.
- (2016-12-30) metal502: Another life saver for the mess that chromuim is and it's missing basic features. -_- Thanks a lot. :D
- (2016-12-10) ember Sunrize: Very useful for when you need to label a tab that you have multiple of open or have similar icon things (The icons that are displayed next to the tab name I dont know the term). I approve.
- (2016-11-01) Rie Helm: Won't work :(
- (2016-10-12) Marek Samec: I like it, but as others mentioned already, Rename option in Tab context menu would be amazing! Thanks for this extension.
- (2016-08-23) Charles Shade: The naming of the tab is lost when the tab is closed. Unfortunate as I like to open several email accounts at once. This add on has the potential to be quite useful.
- (2020-12-11, v:2.1.1) Brandy Gamblin: Tab name reverts back
Hi there, LOOOOOOOVE this extension. Can't tell you enough. Thank you! My only minor complaint is that after a while (a day or so of being open? not sure??) my tab names revert back to their original. Anything you might suggest I try? Thank you again, this extension is crazy useful! XX
- (2020-07-07, v:2.1.1) Beshtech: Chrome crashing
Hi there this plugin when used on multiple pages, i go to rename a page and the entire chrom will crash and freeze can you update the plugin and find a solution
- (2019-08-19, v:2.1.1) August Mohr: Lock Title can be used only once per tab.
The "Report a bug" link in the menu just takes you to the Chrome Web Store, so you have to search for the extension to be able to contact the developer. If you use the "Lock Title" option a second time on the same tab, your tab title will flip back and forth between the two. Using "Lock Title" a third time results in quickly cycling between three titles. The only cure is deleting the tab. If you don't use "Lock Title", your title may revert, especially if the page is automatically updated like Google Drive/Docs, FaceBook, email, weather, or status pages of many kinds. That leaves this extension as a "Use ONLY ONCE per tab" tool. If you typo your title, you're better off leaving it be.
- (2019-02-19, v:2.1.1) bug
When you lock tab name and change it to another name it starts spamming the 2 different names on the tab title and you cant stop it, also sometimes it crashes.
- (2018-11-11, v:2.1.1) Karim Elsheikh: It doesn't work for the Chrome PDF Viewer
Hey, it doesn't work for the Chrome PDF viewer for me, while viewing a local PDF file. Renamnig the tab doesn't do anything.
- (2017-11-27, v:2.1.1) Security?
Considering using this on a healthcare website with patient data, is any data tracked or collected using this extension? Thx
- (2017-09-04, v:2.1.1) Brendan Morahan: It Doesn't Work
I tried downloading both of the rename tab extensions and neither work!
- (2017-05-04, v:2.1.1) Charles Malm: Race Condition
1) Lock Tab Title 2) Refresh the page 3) Tab Title is reverted (fine) 4) Rename the tab something else 5) Watch the race condition in the tab title and your tab is now locked up and RenameTab can no longer be opened after opening a new tab. Comments: I don't believe that (3) is a defect, refreshing the page /should/ revert the title or opening the same URL in another tab should /not/ use the RenameTab title. The Lock Title feature should only prevent new <title> tags from rewriting the tab title. If I wanted a permanent rule to rename a specific URL to a single specific title I could use another extension. RenameTab is the only extension I've found that allows me to have the same web application in multiple tabs and have different titles for each one.
- (2017-03-17, v:2.1.1) Jamelia Laxamana: How?!
how do you even use this app?!
- (2017-03-03, v:2.1.1) nikki russell: how does this work
i have a rename tab in mozilla but i was going to try and use chrome and i cant figure out how this extension even works....in mozilla u can right click and rename the tab ....how does it work in chrome
- (2016-12-03, v:2.1.1) Right Click Menu
Any way to add this to the Right Click Menu?
- (2016-11-01, v:2.1.1) Irina Svetlowa: Extension buyout
Hi, I am interested in acquiring your extension "RenameTab". Please contact me at: [email protected]