Overlay a circle, image, KML or Terrain on Google Map Maker
This extension will allow you to add a circle, image, KML or Terrain overlay on Google Map Maker. Drawing circles in Google Map Maker can be difficult to get right. This extension will show a circle overlaid over the map which you can use to trace when mapping circles such as roundabouts. You have various options you can change to customize the overlay to your liking. You have the option of overlaying any image and sizing and rotating so it fits where you want it. You can save these images along with the position set for quick loading later without having to get the image in the correct spot again. You also have the option of adding a KML overlay. Adds a control at the top left of the map to on and off the terrain map. More features to come... Release Notes: Version 3.5 * Added Polish Translation. Thanks Damian Klimowicz Version 3.4 * Added Portuguese (Brazil) Translation. Thanks Vitor Fernando Version 3.3 * Added Ukrainian Translation. Thanks Володимир Новіцький Version 3.2 * Added German Translation. Thanks Niklas Version 3.1 * Added Italian Translation. Thanks Matteo Allegri * Updated Dutch Translation. * Added option to hide the 'Help Translate' link. * Other small bug fixes. Version 3.0 * Added Russian Translation. Thanks Sergey Sudakovskiy * Added Dutch Translation. * Added option for anyone to provide a translation in their own language. * Removed donation button. Version 2.9 * Can now show each type of overlay at the same time instead of just one type at a time. * Showing the page action icon in a different, hopefully more robust way. Version 2.8.2 * Popup can now become ready more quickly, as soon as the map loads, rather than having too wait for the page to completely finish loading. * Google Drive 'share' links are now automatically converted into a usable link for both Image and KML overlays. Version 2.7 * Became broken due to changes in Map Maker. Now fixed. Version 2.6 * Changed the normal map type controls to a 'Terrain' checkbox that only works when it should. Version 2.5 * Changed the 'Show Terrain' option to simply showing the normal map type controls. * Fixed so that using the browse feature, the markers appear on top of the image overlay. Version 2.4 * Added option to show the terrain map style. * Bug fixes. Version 2.3 * Added option to save and load images you have added. Version 2.2 * Fixed bug where the extension was not working in certain countries. Version 2.1 * KML layer support. Version 2.0 * Circle is now much better and easier to use, and stays where you put it. * Use your own images to overlay which can be moved and sized as required. Version 1.0 * A simple circle only overlay which did not stay in place while zooming.
- (2019-10-28) maXou maXou: doesn't work on Google Maps
- (2017-07-22) Vinay Velicheti: very nice
- (2017-04-04) Usa King: very nice
- (2016-09-02) Drew Monrad: Love it.
- (2016-08-23) Lin Xu: How to use it?
- (2016-08-15) Vishwa Waragoda: Thaks a lot, this helps me a lot
- (2016-07-26) Johnnie Hougaard Nielsen: Useful tool, like when making roundabouts look more tidy. I'd like to suggest also having a simple line, to ease tweaking straight routes across a series of existing intersections. Or what about splines to guide smooth curves. Some of these could also be handled by allowing the circle to become an ellipse.
- (2016-06-07) albandy12: Good job
- (2016-05-06) Peter D G: I would love it if I could bet it to work. I cannot get either image or KML to work. Tried a dozen different options. *** Later: OK got it to work by placing the KML in google drive. Wish there was a way to control how thick the line is, but that's OK.
- (2016-05-02) Kavinda Rochana Abeywickrama: Nice work.
- (2016-01-10) Luis Antonio Alvarado Romero: Perfecto, ahora si.
- (2015-11-19) Альберт Зайнуллин: Circle this is good
- (2015-10-31) J Coleman: Update: I love it. - - - - - - - - - I was very happy to see this; don't understand why Google couldn't give us something similar. Kudos to HannesNZ Software for finally making one. It did help with some circles; my only criticism is that it seems to take a long time to get it set up and situated (maneuvering it about the map, then fiddle with the size & other settings), to where I think it may be faster to not use it, at least for me....but I don't have any suggestions to expedite the process, either. I do hope to see more from them and that they continue to develop it.
- (2015-10-31) JD Scott: Love this app and I will take it gladly as it is. But... I don't know if it is possible for this plug in to directly support the out put from Google "My Tracks" android app. Converting that output for every track is difficult. An alliterative to "My Tracks" that outputs a compatible track would work too. Any ideas?
- (2015-10-30) Rafał Ćwirta: Super
- (2018-01-18, v:3.5) not working
I've added the extension to Chrome but it's not displaying for use. It's grayed out. I've tried using it in the Google Drive setting as well as in Google Maps. It doesn't show available for use.
- (2017-05-27, v:3.5) Jonathan Crowther: New Google Maps editing
Now that Map Maker is gone, will you provide this for the Google Maps editing? Specifically, I need the KML overlay feature to help when we can edit roads/trails in Google Maps (which is still pending, I guess).
- (2016-11-08, v:3.5) John Ylinen: Overlay icon is GREY
This extension worked fine. Now when I try to use it, it is GREY on the menubar. When I click on it I see MAP MAKER OVERLAY, REMOVE from Chrome, and Hide from bar. If I select MAP MAKER OVERLAY, it takes me to the Chrome Store listing and the ADD TO CHROME is there (Even though it is installed). I can't click on the ADD TO CHROME button. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome. No change. Did a Chrome update break the extension?
- (2016-09-16, v:3.5) Adriano G. V. Esposito: Panels disappearing
Sometime not all the panels of the overlayed map appears. It is a strange behavior. If I zoom panels still appear missing some, but the positions may vary. I dont understand what is the problem: maybe a problem with the server of the overlayed map? The background Google maps works good.
- (2016-09-02, v:3.5) J007 MAIL: not working
I try to zoom in on the map and no tool appears
- (2016-06-15, v:3.3) Richard Pyne: Waze
It would be wonderful if this could also work with the Waze editor.
- (2016-05-06, v:3.2) Tom Brown: Install with less permissions?
I'd really like to use this extension but aren't comfortable installing something which requests access to see and modify all sites I use in my chrome profile. Is it possible to reduce the amount of access it needs? Thank you!
- (2016-03-15, v:3.2) Richard Pyne: The KmlLayer is invalid
I am trying to use a local KMZ file that works perfectly in Google Earth but everytime I try to open it in the Map Maker Overlay it gives the error "The KmlLayer is invalid."
- (2016-02-26, v:3.2) Gavin Kennedy: How do I SAVE my new KML?
I pointed to the KML URL, added a circle now how do I save it? Thx
- (2016-02-11, v:3.2) Not a valid KML, KMZ, ....
I cannot figure out the way to create a valid KML file to send to MapMakerOverlay. Always getting : the document is not a valid KML, KMZ, or GeoRSS document. I've tried someone else URL and it seem to work fine. So I think the problem might be beind the keyboard... Here's a URL I've created that doesn't work : https://www.dropbox.com/s/5bmtmww0yf0vsu2/Current.kml?dl=0 Thank you