Learn languages while browsing the web. The extension translates part of the webpages automatically to the chosen language.
Learning languages should be easy. This is why we created the Kypsis Language Immersion Extension for Chrome. Now you can learn languages just by browsing the web. That way you'll learn the vocabulary you actually use and need to know. +++ HOW IT WORKS +++ The extension translates a percentage of the text on web pages to the language you want to learn. It doesn’t translate the whole page as to not overwhelm you. This way you can determine the meaning of the word from context. To see the original word just hover the translation. Note that when you print out a web page the translations are ignored - you’ll still be printing the original page. +++ CUSTOMIZATION +++ - Choose between translating words or sentences - Set the maximum percentage of the text to be translated - Ignore the most frequently used words in English - Over 60 languages to choose from - Language auto-detection +++ PRIVACY +++ We DO NOT collect statistics about the websites you visit and we never will. The warning dialog you see during installation comes from the fact that in order to translate part of the web pages it is necessary to first read the page and then send it to translation. Again - it is completely anonymous and we do not store (or even access to) any info from the web pages you visit. However, in order to improve the service, we do collect anonymous data about the extension settings (the language to be translated to, for example).
- (2020-03-27) Tom Newton: Doesnt work
- (2020-01-09) Mikhail Fedoseev: Does not work at all. Does nothing.
- (2019-10-06) Alex Krylov: Does not work.
- (2019-03-18) Aeshan Hendlin: 5 Stars because it's the #1 option if you want to passively learn a foreign language while browsing the web. It lets you set the percentage of the page which may be translated, so you can just catch a few words here or there and learn languages experientially while surrounded by the comfort of your native language content. It's not perfect, There are unmet user needs for things like choosing the alphabet form (If I want to learn Chinese, currently I only get to see Chinese characters -- so a Latin alphabet translation for many of these languages is needed. If I want to use Kipsis for Russian and I don't already know the Russian alphabet, then I can't read it. If it allowed for a Latin alphabet of each foreign alphabet language that would be much easier for beginners to start learning new languages with this "almost powerful" extension. Also, if it's going to be "immersion" then we should be IMMERSED! -- What is this 30% maximum translation limit? My Spanish skills are begging for 50-70% immersion. Finally, the icon makes me feel sad. I don't like looking at a sad downtrodden face all day. Please full yourself and your users with hope. There is great potential here.
- (2019-01-19) virginia I.: Fab idea. Not ready for prime time yet. I'm only able to translate max of 30% of words. It only works on a couple of the first sentences. Doesn't work sites where I spent most my time. This product would be extremely helpful to me if more fleshed out. I'd pay.
- (2018-05-29) Christian H: When it does work, it only works on the first couple paragraphs.
- (2018-01-30) Michał Urbanek: Collide with simple react elements so not do as little as could.
- (2017-12-31) Petr Zampach: Hi, I set up to translate 30% of the words (or sentences) but it only worked like for the first paragraph on the page and the rest of it remained the same. Still, pretty nice toy :-)
- (2017-09-14) Денис Леонардов: Не хватает функции отключения\включения налету
- (2017-08-26) Allison Christiansen: Does not work. Kept loading "Translating page" and never loaded anything. Slowed down my browser too.
- (2017-05-21) Graeme Revell: Do some sites have something in them to block this type of extension: I don't know, but seems they might (eg. BBC, NY Times, Wiki). Also, sometimes it only picks out names in an article to translate - that seems absolutely pointless to me! I like the idea, but I'd prefer to switch on/off on the fly in the way some other exts work (ie. EasyReader) rather than go into the options every time.
- (2017-03-27) Ale H: Great!
- (2017-01-21) Individual Grammar: It does not with Wikipedia. It only translates 30% of content (like two words every paragraph). it slows down loading websites. It mostly translated proper names, which is useless, I need most other words. It collects statistics of your pages. Most of the words remain untouched. This is a terrific idea but I don't get why any app can make it happen. Uninstalling it.
- (2016-12-07) Vertigo: it only changes like 3 words in the first paragraph of a page for me. Even if there are 10 paragraphs the rest are untouched. Cool idea.
- (2016-12-03) Michael Hoyt: Out of Kypsis, Language Imersion for Chrome, and Mindtheword, this was the only app that actually worked.
- (2016-07-10) Amgad muhammad: not working
- (2016-05-17) Cristian Eigel: It's the perfect thing for learning a new language. When I learn french, I find vocabulary extremely hard. Being shown french words mixed with english words while browsing is very clever.
- (2018-05-26, v:1.0.3) Sound for plugin
Hello, When I watched the video, it shows people rolling over translated words and hearing audio of the target-language pronunciation. But this doesn't work for me. Is there an additional setting somewhere that I need to adjust? Thank you!
- (2018-04-08, v:1.0.3) Jessica Raja: Won't turn off!
I turned this on and have since changed my mind but it won't stop translating! I even uninstalled this but nope, still half my webpages are in Ablanian! Please help?
- (2017-10-21, v:1.0.2) Xuan Dong: It only work on somes of fisrt setences.
This extesion is good, but It only work on somes of first setences.
- (2017-01-13, v:1.0.1) Gerardo Gonzalez: About the 30%
It will be great if the extension could translate more than 30%
- (2016-10-05, v:1.0.1) Parker Gordon: Npt Working
When I load a webpage, It says "translating" in the top right corner but nothing is ever translating. Can someone please tell me how to troubleshoot this?