Prevent duplicate tabs effortlessly.
Duplicate Tab Helper prevents the opening of duplicate URLs at the moment new tabs are opened. If an exact duplicate is found, the newer tab will be replaced with the existing tab as seamlessly as possible. The effect is so subtle you may not even notice it happening. Duplicate Tab Helper is FANTASTIC for doing research and quietly makes your browsing experience more enjoyable. Duplicate Tab Helper is 100% sadness free. Unlike other extensions, great care is taken to make sure that when a duplicate is detected and discarded that it doesn't contain unsaved information. There is literally zero instances where this extension discards an old tab that you might have been using (unless you change your preferences.) Sometimes this means a few duplicates are ignored under specific circumstances. In cases of uncertainty, caution is favored over cleanup. Tips: * You can still create a duplicate. Right-click my icon and select 'Duplicate'. Additionally, you can still open duplicate URLs in new windows. Shift-clicking a link should do this. * Duplicate Tab Helper is not intended for web developers who frequently need new tabs to replace the old tabs each time they make a change. I love you guys and gals but this extension will drive you crazy. :) Best, Justin *** RELEASE NOTES *** 2019-07-05 1.4.4 Fixed: Duplicates are no longer matched between incognito and non-incognito ecosystems. This only became an issue when the "all windows" search feature was introduced in 1.4.2. 1.4.3 Tightened up duplicate disposal to only dispose of duplicate after active tab has been set. This is to (hopefully) address a rare bug when opening new blank tabs where focus was not properly put on the remaining tab. 1.4.2 Added option to search all windows for duplicates. No longer checks for duplicates in pinned tabs or in non-"normal" windows such as "popup", "panel", "app", or "devtools". If catching duplicates in these window types is desired please send an email and let me know some specifics. 1.4.1 Under default settings, instead of ignoring "navigation duplicates", duplicates are pulled forward to the same position as the active tab, but no tabs are removed. 1.4.0 Customization options added for how to deal with "navigation duplicates" 2019-06-17 Update 1.3.9: Can now detect duplicate URLs with a hash (#) character in them. Also if you open a blank tab and happen to type a URL that is already open into a BLANK TAB then the duplicate will be matched and handled. 2019-06-16 Update 1.3.7: Disabled notifications. On Windows 10 they are put into a notification center and must be manually dismissed. That's way too much clutter, so I disabled them. Thanks for trying them out. 2019-06-16 Update 1.3.6: Support added for bounced URLs! But only if the tab was opened in the background. I think this is a nice compromise to keep the extension lightweight but still very effective. 2019-06-15 Update: Right-click menu has a 'Duplicate' option in case user really does want a duplicate.
- (2019-09-04) Sebastian Jurk: Unfortunately it always closes the tab that is most right. It even shows a popup asking if one wants a duplicate tab but that's useless when it shows up in a tab you aren't in. I would nearly not have noticed that certain tabs are gone while I only opened temporarily some tabs to store something. I will deinstall for now and use it when I need it for certain actions.
- (2019-06-25) S. L: Developer has been extensively helping me find bugs and improve this software, it has now reached a point of reliability that this is saving me time in my very very mess and poor browsing habit / workflow. While I should probably just 'browse differently' this has done things in a logical manner which is exactly how software should be. If I make a dumb mistake, this is correcting that mistake. Thank you.
- (2019-06-20) Disciple de Jésus-Christ: marche plus dernier test le 20 juin 2019
- (2018-08-21) davide bronzini: I still can ctrl + click on different Chrome windows and browser opens new tab. If I could have more windows url uniqueness, it would be 5 stars. Good job however
- (2018-03-14) Jason Axley: Didn't really help. I can open the same URL in multiple tabs. Going to try another extension.
- (2017-08-17) Michael Reinhart: It works exactly as described!
- (2017-07-06) Lucas Rangit Magasweran: This works great for me. My solution to the tracking URLs that Google search results use is install the extension "Don't track me Google" ( https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dont-track-me-google/gdbofhhdmcladcmmfjolgndfkpobecpg ). This replaces the unique URL that Google creates with the original.
- (2017-06-08) Emile Sonneveld: Doesn't dedup all websites, but it does it enough to keep my tab list clean.
- (2016-08-10) Rick Feuling: I love the concept but it doesn't work. If it won't with something like google.com it won't work with much. Tried it on Yahoo.com, tried it with Asana - never saw any effect. If the app was improved I'd definitely give it another shot.
- (2016-08-10) Mutt Mingle: Does exactly as described! 5 stars!
- (2016-03-06) Billie Reinhart: Works exactly as described !!! Awesome !!!
- (2015-10-18) Poмaн Бoр: Закрывает лишнюю как надо. Доп. настроек не имеет. Иногда закрывать перестает - не знаю почему.
- (2015-10-12) Doesnt work. I tried openiing dublicate tabs just for checking purpose and it never did anything to close or avoid opening it.
- (2014-10-06) Nick Schwartz: Works flawlessly.
- (2014-07-31) Damien Zamani: works as described
- (2014-07-22) Kieran Sharp: It works exactly as described.
- (2014-04-30) Keith Tyler: Does not work. Repeatedly opened multiple tabs to exact same url, none were caught at all.
- (2014-02-11) Gordon Pham-Nguyen: Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't..
- (2013-10-25) Jan Edelmann: Not working at all.
- (2013-09-18) Stephane Gerber: Great idea, but it doesn't seem to work
- (2019-09-09, v:22.214.171.124) Сергей Линник: Problem in Vivaldi
Seems that older tab successfully activated, but duplicate tab remains not closed.
- (2019-07-29, v:126.96.36.199) Илья Полон: Dissappeared 'duplicate' button in extension menu
If you right-click on the extension icon, you will see a “republish” button. But a few weeks ago - this button disappeared. Could you return it please. I have to create a new tab every time and copy the address if I need to create a duplicate of the current tab. Plus, I have a suggestion - could you add a hot key to create a duplicate of the current tab.
- (2019-07-17, v:188.8.131.52) Charlie Arehart: Do you bring the new tab over, preserving this history of what had been in the tab you move?
This isn't indicated in the overview (or anyone's review). Also, what happens if someone has many tabs open already (dozens or even hundreds), and they create a "new tab" that you would "prevent duplicating" by moving...but there already multiple other duplicates? Would you only move one, leaving the others untouched? I hope my question makes sense. It's offered in the context of the info about the extension I've seen here. I may have misunderstood its behavior. Thanks for your efforts.
- (2018-05-22, v:1.2.3) can you make it work with Distill Web Monitor extension?
the Distill still monitors in the new tab, not directed to the existing tab as supposed to by your Helper
- (2018-02-27, v:1.2.3) Kitezh: Closing duplicate tabs manually
Hi there, Justin! Thank you for your wonderful extension! Here's a problem. Automatic closing can be intimidating when you are working with many tabs simultaneously and are afraid to lose a tab. Could you please enable viewing the list of duplicate tabs by the duplicate URL and being able to MANUALLY close them? I'd like to be able to close tabs both by the individual duplicate URL and by clicking "Close All Duplicate Tabs" to kill all duplicates in one click. I appreciate you considering my suggestion. I hope to get a response as to whether the requested features are going to be added. Best regards, Kitezh47
- (2017-07-08, v:1.2.3) Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ: hi
ty. but it sometimes movings the main tab to the last tab,
- (2016-03-28, v:1.2.2) Yuriy Alexandrin: Disable option
Please add option in context menu in app bar "Disable". One time you need to create duplicated tab
- (2016-03-25, v:1.2.2) Can't install - missing icon
Chrome says something like: Invalid package. Detail "It wasn't possible to load the extension icon "img/dth-icon-19".
- (2016-01-15, v:1.2.2) Gazihan Alankus: One Facebook tab, please!
At the end of the day I usually end up with 5 Facebook tabs, 3 Google Inbox tabs, 5 Twitter tabs, etc. This happens because when I want to go to Facebook, it is easier to open a new tab and type facebook, rather than trying to find the existing Facebook tab. It seems this extension prevents opening a new tab only when the URL is exactly the same. This does not do what I need. If there was an extension that would let me mark some domains as single-tabbed, and if it would open new URLs of such a domain in the existing tab of that domain, that would be awesome!
- (2015-08-05, v:1.2.2) RandomlyDevin: Safari
Hi, Unfortunately I had to switch to Safari due to Google Chrome being too laggy. Unfortunately Safari has no extension preventing duplicate tabs. Is there any chance of you porting this extension to Safari?