Currently the best Chinese popup dictionary. More features. Frequently updated.
The most up-to-date Chinese dictionary extension for Chrome. Easier to use, with more features and more frequently updated than any other. Hover over the Chinese words to get their pronunciation and meaning. Turn it on and off by clicking on the extension icon. Better than Perapera and Zhongwen, with more functionality: - **Read aloud** with mainland and Taiwan options - **Hanzi character information** - **Stroke order animation** - Cleaner white default theme - Enable/disable Pinyin, Zhuyin and definitions - More lookup options - Bug fixes Zhongzhong is in active development. Request a feature and we'll consider it for implementation! https://github.com/PabloRomanH/zhongzhong/issues For detailed usage instructions and keyboard shortcuts, check out the message that is displayed after turning on the extension. **New Features**: 1.2.8 - Fixed shortcuts with Alt. - Updated to the latest version of the CEDICT Chinese dictionary (November 22 2019). 1.2.7 - Key shortcut to enable/disable the extension can be remapped to any Alt + [key] combination. - Key shortcuts to open online references can be disabled in the options. - Updated to the latest version of the CEDICT Chinese dictionary (July 20 2019). 1.2.6 - **Enable and disable the extension with the new key shortcut**: Alt + Z - Disabling tone colors now also affects Zhuyin. - Changing font now also affects Zhuyin. - Updated to the latest version of the CEDICT Chinese dictionary (November 10 2018). - Several small fixes. 1.2.4 - New option in the options page to disable quick settings key shortcuts for people who don't use them. - When adjusting the vertical position of the popup (with X/Y keys) the position is now remembered until you disable the extension. - Dictionary selection is now forgotten when you disable the extension and enable it again. You can still choose the default dictionary in the options page. - Updated to the latest version of the CEDICT Chinese dictionary (March 21 2018). 1.2.3 - Fixed a bug with some characters with variants. - Updated to the latest version of the CEDICT Chinese dictionary (Jan 21 2018). 1.2.2 - Fixed Taiwanese read-aloud setting. - You can now change the color of tones in the options page. - Updated to the latest version of the CEDICT Chinese dictionary (Dec 26 2017). 1.2.1 - Fixed YellowBridge lookup. - JuKuu lookup blocked by JuKuu. Disabling it for now. - Updated to the latest version of the CEDICT Chinese dictionary (Dec 17 2017). 1.2.0 - Added Chinese Cangjie codes in hanzi view. - Fixed position of stroke order animation. - Updated Chinese Grammar Wiki keywords. - Updated to the latest version of the CEDICT Chinese dictionary (Nov 19 2017). 1.1.4 - Added keyboard shortcut guide to the options page. - Updated to the latest version of the CEDICT Chinese dictionary (May 19 2017). 1.1.3 - Fixed some bugs in Zhuyin (Bopomofo) - Updated to the latest version of the CEDICT Chinese dictionary (February 7 2017). 1.1.2 - **Stroke order animations** integrated in the Hanzi information view! - Can change the default dictionary to the Hanzi information view. - Updated to the latest version of the CEDICT Chinese dictionary (November 11 2016). 1.1.1 - Updated to the latest version of the CEDICT Chinese dictionary (October 7 2016). 1.1.0 - Added lookup for hanzi stroke order and the Koohii.com Heisig study tool. - Updated to the latest version of the CEDICT Chinese dictionary (September 11 2016). 1.0.9 - **Read-aloud!** Press the 'V' key to hear the pronunciation of the word. 1.0.8 - **Hanzi information!** Press the Enter or Shift keys to switch to the new Hanzi information view and back. - Updated to the latest version of the CEDICT Chinese dictionary (July 17 2016). 1.0.7 - Updated graphics and icons. 1.0.6 - Updated to the latest version of the CEDICT Chinese dictionary (April 16 2016) with more than 700 added entries and 2600 improved entries. 1.0.5 - Cosmetic improvements to the default white theme. - Updated to the latest version of the CEDICT Chinese dictionary (November 28). - Added 2 new online lookup resources: Moedict and Baidu Baike. 1.0.3 - Redesigned options page. Now configuration is applied instantly. - Added option to choose between 3 different fonts: serif, sans-serif and handwritten. - For old or alternative characters: Now their definitions are showed instead of showing only a rather unuseful message "variant of ...". 1.0.2 - Added option to disable showing definitions. - Added keybindings to toggle showing Pinyin, Zhuyin and definitions. - New default white theme. - Option to show only traditional or simplified characters. 1.0.1 - Updated to last CEDICT Chinese dictionary version. - Added option to disable Pinyin.
- (2019-11-16) kuyaC: Would be cool if you added the option to show cantonese pronounciation. Alt+W often doesn't work to turn it off, especially during duolingo lessons. Often the character to the right of the one my mouse is over gets explained (very common in duolingo lessons again), or a character gets explained when my mouse isn't currently hovering above one. The word list doesn't synchronize across my devices. "Better than Perapera and Zhongwen, with more functionality:" Honestly, what's the difference between this one and Zhongwen? I tried both and one of you obviously copied from the other one.
- (2019-10-02) Tetsuo Kyoda: Greatest application in the mouse-over Chinese dictionaries!!
- (2019-03-08) Eliseu Viana: Zhongwen: Chinese-English Dictionary nao tava ativando (08/03/2019) essa extensao me salvo
- (2019-03-05) Russell Young: Doesn't show in text entry. The functionality looks really good though.
- (2018-12-28) micom fa: not work in input text area.
- (2018-12-05) Justin Garrison: Hey, thank you so much for this extension! Is there any way that the zhuyin or pinyin display could be set to different dictionaries, like Taiwanese Mandarin ones? Also, the Alt + 1, Alt + 2, Alt + 3... extensions aren't working for me, but I'm on Windows.
- (2018-11-29) Barnabus Premier: Clean and efficient extension. Thank you! Just lack some simple features and better presentation. Feature: it would be better if users could fix the position of the floating window (when floating everywhere it can hide parts of the text) Presentation: for example, when the dictionary finds an expression (with 4 characters), to separate it clearly from the detailed vocabulary (meaning of each character), or use bold characters, that would improve the visibility.
- (2018-10-12) Xander Koo: Good extension, but pressing K still triggers the shortcut regardless of whether or not you have shortcuts enabled. Also, when you disable tone colors it doesn't do the same for bopomofo, and also displays bopomofo in a serif font regardless of your choice for the Chinese characters.
- (2018-06-15) hak han Koh: It's good but please remove the keyboard shortcut buttons. I keep activating/deactivating them accidentally and it's really annoying.
- (2018-05-11) Sean kim: very nice. unlike other popup dictionary it give us so many option including text speech. thanks for making this awesome webapp. ps is there any way to use this with google translator?
- (2018-04-04) Martin Raeside: Excellent extension. my only problem is that I'm using a chromebook, so I can't use ALT-1 etc to look up example sentences, as chromebook uses those to launch other apps :(
- (2018-03-30) Việt Hùng Nguyễn: It's OK but frequently automatically disable pinyin and difinition display. I have to open Options and re-activate them many times. Removed.
- (2018-02-28) Jordan Schneider: YES YOU CAN CHANGE THE COLORS FOR THE TONES!
- (2017-12-20) Werner Sævland: Much better than all the alternatives! Keep up the good work :)
- (2017-09-20) Mel Gross: This is everything I wanted to combine from the two other "big" mandarin popup dictionaries, and then some!
- (2017-07-25) தந்தை ழுத்துக: Wow, 5 Stars, Really an improved version (easy look-up, pronunciation etc.) Great Work!
- (2017-03-08) Excellent!
- (2015-10-14) Twins Photographer: Love it! Just exactly what I want.
- (2019-10-16, v:1.2.7) Daniel Allegri: Pop Up Problem- Individual Characters
I used the dictionary for a while, but it suddenly just started displaying the definitions for individual characters, not the whole word. I.e. it would display the definition for 工，not 工作 or 表 not 表示. Could you help me figure out how to get the whole world displayed? Thanks!
- (2019-08-10, v:1.2.7) Gyula Molnár: Stroke orders not showing up in Quizlet
Hi there! Great extension, thanks for all the effort. However, I'd like to suggest a fix. The thing is that when I'm howering over a character in Learn mode on Quizlet.com, and then push shift to bring up the extended popup, everything turns up all right, except for the stroke order. I took the liberty to look into the thing, and turns out the issue is here to be found: [content.js:1255-1256] ... var unicode = window.getSelection().toString().charCodeAt(0); var strokeorder = 'https://www.mdbg.net/chindict/rsc/img/stroke_anim/' + unicode + '.gif'; ... Now, in this particular case window.getSelection().toString() seems to be an empty string, and so the request that's being sent will be .../NaN.gif. Changing line 1255 to var unicode = entry.hanzi.charCodeAt(0); seems to have resolved the issue for me, though I haven't yet tested it rigorously :) Keep up the great work, Gyula Molnár
- (2019-06-13, v:22.214.171.124) f pc: No définition appears
Thank you for this very usefull extension. When I click on the button and when I move the cursor over Chinese text a popup appear with the pronunciation but not with the definitions.
- (2019-05-21, v:126.96.36.199) Ray Lillywhite: 'k' keyboard shortcut doesn't respect disabling keyboard shortcuts
I disabled keyboard shortcuts but the K key still opens Koohii.com
- (2019-02-04, v:1.2.6) Pressing 'K'
When I press 'K', especially when I'm not highlighting anything nor on a Chinese website, koohii pops up. This makes it especially difficult to fill in forms. Please look into this bug. Thank you for the wonderful extension!
- (2018-12-18, v:1.2.6) Nathan Cain: Save all looked up words
I would like the option to save all words that I click/tap to lookup. So I don't have to press R.
- (2018-12-16, v:1.2.6) Nathan Cain: tablet mode without keyboard
In tablet mode I don't have a keyboard. How can I change the location of the popup or add to word list?
- (2018-11-22, v:1.2.6) Asaph Cheng Yao: Alt-Z
Thank you for your wonderful extension. However, your hotkey Alt-Z seriously conflicts with other functions on my computer. Kindly allow for users' assignation of the hotkey.
- (2018-11-21, v:1.2.6) Famiglia dell'Immacolata Mediatrice San Francesco: Adding definitions
Is it possible to add words manually to the dictionary? Or will it be a possible add-on in the future?
- (2017-06-10, v:1.1.4) Hoa Lê: question
how do i open troke and related information of hanzi pop-up?