Great tool for learning Chinese. Includes links to Chinese Grammar Wiki. Supports adding words to Skritter.
The most popular Chinese popup dictionary. 70,000 active users worldwide. Quick, easy and simple to use. Includes useful tools for learners of Mandarin Chinese. (The source code is available on GitHub: https://github.com/cschiller/zhongwen) HIGHLIGHTS - Look up more than 100,000 words an expressions while reading Chinese web sites just by pointing at the words with your mouse. - Includes links to grammar and usage notes for more than 400 keywords - Skritter users can add new words to their study list with a simple keystroke. - Save words to a built-in word list - Create Anki flashcards by importing the text file exported from the built-in word list - Easily look up example sentences on tatoeba.org HOW TO USE After installing the extension it can be turned on and off by clicking on the little icon in the upper right-hand corner of the browser. When it is activated, the word "ON" is displayed in red over the icon of the extension. Otherwise the extension is inactive. After activating it, simply go to a web page in Chinese and hover over the Chinese characters with your mouse to see a pop-up window open up showing the English translation along with the Pinyin romanization using the following colors: red = 1st tone, orange = 2nd tone, green = 3rd tone, blue = 4th tone. If simplified and traditional differ, then the simplified character is shown first. If you're typing Chinese text, like an email, for example, simply hovering over the characters might not work. In that case, simply hold down the Alt-key on your keyboard while hovering over the Chinese characters you just typed. In most cases, this will bring up the translation. This way you can proofread what you just typed. FEATURES - Supports both traditional and simplified characters. - Includes the current version of the widely used CC-CEDICT Chinese English dictionary with more than 100,000 entries. - Displays Hanyu Pinyin along both the simplified and traditional characters. - Learners of Chinese can choose a large font size for the Chinese characters to help them clearly identify and memorize the different characters, especially those with a large number of strokes. On the options page of the extension you can choose between a large and a small font size. - As a learning aid it uses different colors for displaying the Pinyin syllables, depending on the tone of the Chinese character. The color scheme is the same as the one used by Skritter. Tone coloring can be deactivated on the options page. - Can be turned on and off with a single mouse-click. - Highlights the characters whose translation is displayed in the popup window. - Also supports keyboard navigation for translating the next character, the next word, or the previous character. - Bopomofo (Zhuyin) can be activated on the extension's options page. EXTRAS - Built-in Skritter support: Directly add words to a Skritter vocab list for studying. Just hit "s" on the keyboard. - Built-in word list that you can add your words to. Just type "r" to remember a word when the popup is shown, "Alt+W" to open the word list. Words can be exported from the word list to a file. - Look up example sentences on tatoeba.org by simply typing "t" while the popup window is shown. - Provides keyboard shortcuts 'Alt+1', 'Alt+3', 'Alt+4', 'Alt+5' and 'Alt+6' for looking up selected text in other online dictionaries (nciku, Dict.cn, iCIBA, MDBG and JuKuu). - In order to save a word to the internal word list, press "r" (for "remember") on your keyboard. To display the word list, use Alt+w, or "Open word list" from the context menu (right-click on the page). On the word list page, you can select the words you want to export to a file. You can then import them into other learning tools, like Anki. KEYBOARD NAVIGATION For power users: When reading an entire paragraph, you can easily navigate to the next word by hitting 'n' on the keyboard. The 'b' key takes you back to the previous character. You can also navigate to the next character (not the next word) by using the 'm' key. In addition, you can move the popup window around using the 'x' and the 'y' key, or move it to one of three alternate locations using the 'a' key. COPY TO CLIPBOARD You can copy the dictionary entry of the currently selected characters to the clipboard by using the 'c' key on your keyboard. This is useful if you want to paste this data into a spreadsheet, for example. Each entry appears on a separate line, and the individual parts a dictionary entry consists of are tab separated, so they appear nicely aligned in separate rows and columns when pasting them into a spreadsheet. Note that using this copying method (using just 'c') differs from the standard copy-to-clipboard shortcut (Ctrl+C or Command+C) which would copy only the selected Chinese characters without the English translation. INPUT FIELDS AND TEXT AREAS Zhongwen also works in input fields and text areas. Simply hold down the Alt-key on your keyboard to see the dictionary entires, for example when composing an email.
- (2020-04-16) Nate C.: best mandarin translator thus far for reading novel and articles
- (2020-01-31) Jessica Zhou: Very useful and convenient for when you need it. Won't get in the way of your usual browsing, but very helpful when reading large blocks of Chinese! Good with general knowledge, too - like historical figures or famous celebrities.
- (2020-01-22) Maria Gabriela Patiño Pisani: Muy Útil
- (2020-01-02) Karina Bao: This extension is amazing! I use it everyday. I wish I could venmo the developers some money for their efforts!
- (2019-12-12) Sitou Dien: Works for me. Can you please add cantonese.
- (2019-12-10) Daniela Sat: Perfect! Until it broke.. I need it back ... TToTT please fix it youll be my heroes!! Seems like theres not many people studing chinese in the world, since the other coments are from 2014... But please please please Man, back to using pleco on the phone... I kinda liked this... flow of going trought the internet in another laguage with instant trasnaltion.... Please fix it my eternat thanks to whoever does it, like real, ill make sure you get an unicorn gifted to you or something I promise
- (2019-11-10) Kim Chung: Excellent range of vocabulary and easy to use.
- (2019-09-07) Iris Song: This is one of the most useful tool for learning or teaching Mandarin Chinese. I highly recommend it!
- (2019-08-18) Emma L: Was amazing but in the last few days it stopped translating phrases (more than one character) and is only translating single characters. Any way to solve this?
- (2019-08-13) It's Jusst Max: Not working anymore on Google Docs after the latest update.
- (2019-08-09) Yo Yo Fu: Love this extension, have been using it for years!
- (2019-08-06) Tora GuuMoonRyoung: While extension is active, it is impossible to drag and select texts with mouse. Please try to add this.
- (2019-08-01) Lil Meow Meow_swag: dumb app did not work at all . just terrible
- (2019-07-30) mullet bae: OUTSTANDING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- (2019-06-12) Awetewtewtew Awetwetw: Request: I would like options to customize the rendering of the window like changing the color, selecting the font size. It would be even better if I would make the text black and background white with a bigger font. Also it'd me much more useful if it had the option of saving the sentence along with the word as well as providing clozed version of the sentence, a blanked version of the sentence, etc a la rikaisama https://images.app.goo.gl/GrYMBpZ8zmuvJ89Y7
- (2019-06-09) José Yusty: It's made my Chinese language exchanges so much more efficient.Thank you so much! p.s it works with text on Google Docs which is great!
- (2019-06-04) Kamil Wysocki: Great tool for Chinese language students
- (2019-03-23) Victor Ujjinov: the best friend
- (2019-03-15) The best tool for a Chinese learner. Love it ^_^
- (2019-03-07) Huai Tian Lee Tan: Hi, it has worked for me in Google Docs, but recently after it asked me for more permissions to read my browsing data, it stopped working in Google Docs. Tried pressing alt while hovering, and reinstalling. But still cannot work. Please advise.
- (2019-02-27) Edouard Roquette: This extension is incredibly useful when living in Asia with limited character knowledge. It's a lifesaver. To the developer: I'd be glad to pay for a premium version if it could support optical character recognition, meaning the ability to recognise characters in pictures or non-text material. I use this for buying online in Taiwan and China, and a lot of the pages for products on taobao or shopee are no longer in text form. The text is included in page long graphics that can't be read by the extension at the moment. Currently I have to get my phone out and use the optical feature in Google translate. Having it in the browser would save me a lot of time and bother.
- (2019-01-10) Henrique Arthur: The best tool I have ever had in my computer. Thanks for making it available!
- (2018-12-28) micom fa: not work in input text area
- (2018-12-14) Highly recommended for whom understands English and wants to learn Chinese by just putting mouse on the Chinese character
- (2018-12-10) Alina Zhou: If you could, please create the option to put the Pinyin below or on top of the corresponding Chinese characters. Pinyin on the side of the words makes reading extra difficult. This is because different Chinese words have different lengths, making your eyes have to move as you scroll through. Please also create the option of placing the traditional Chinese characters below the simplified ones as opposed to on the side of the simplified ones, or the option to get rid of the traditional characters being placed alongside the simplified characters. They are distracting.