This extension allows users to learn Traditional or Simplified Chinese as well as see useful descriptions of characters..
Duolingo, and the Chinese course have changed a lot since this extension was built, The job on my own is too big so I'm going to open source it on GitHub. If you're interested in collaborating please follow and start this repository: https://github.com/robincard/chinese-duolingo (It's empty right now). And, if you're a developer or not, feel free to join the discord which will be for developers and non-developers. https://discord.gg/FKWCr9C As of 2018; this extension is no longer supported. The information below is for reference only. This extension allows users to see the meanings of characters as you learn, store character meanings and switch between traditional and simplified. • Switch between traditional and simplified • See word definitions • See a list of word of learned words • Collect a basket of words you want to learn later • Re-hear sentences slowly, in a different voice. If you're interested in reading any Chinese literature published before the 1950s it will be most advantageous to learn the traditional characters. Also, it is easier to read simplified if one has learned traditional Chinese, than the reverse. 0.9998 Made the delete button in the basket look like the delete button in the skills quiz. 0.9997.1.2 Made the delete button in the basket look like the delete button in the skills quiz. Release notes 0.9997.1 Small bug fix. Release notes 0.9997 Added a word basket Release notes 0.9996 Added 7 lessons and two skills: Entertainment and Restaurant Release notes 0.9995 Added 4 lessons and 1 skill: Payment Release notes 0.9994.6 Word meaning fixes. Release notes 0.9994.5 Added an all words list Release notes 0.9994.3 Added pinyin to learned words list Release notes 0.9994.3 Added pinyin to learned words list Release notes 0.9994.2 Increased built in word bank. Release notes 0.9994.1 Performance enhancements, clean-up of characters file. Release notes 0.9994 Bug where traditional was not possible in practice, thanks CharlesE780046 Release notes 0.9992 FIxed bug with 'buy' character Release notes 0.9991 Added a Taiwanese flag Release notes 0.999 Learned words feature Release notes 0.996 Bug fix Release notes 0.995 Strengthen skills works again Release notes 0.992 8 lessons and 2 skills added: Location 3 and Hobbies Release notes 0.991.5 Mouseover hints on type boxes now work on Traditional! Release notes 0.991.2 Huge bug fix, please update. Release notes 0.991 Added 7 lessons and two skills People 1 and Time 2 Release notes 0.99 Flag bug Release notes 0.98 Added further characters and traditional words Release notes 0.96 Added a further 11 lessons (4 skills) Location 2, Time 1, Family 2, Telephone Release notes 0.95 Fixes bug whereby ready lessons indicator is shown on non Chinese skills, features now available on Strengthen Skills feature. Release notes 0.94 Added phrases 1, family 1, phrases 2, greeting 4, drink and time skills Release notes 0.93 Fixed indicator bug. Release notes 0.92 Welcome page upon installation Release notes 0.82 Added 5 lessons; Greeting 3 and Location 1 skills Release notes 0.81 Disabling of traditional characters now possible. Beta preview of word definitions for Greeting 1, Numbers, Name, Greeting 2, Food 1, Occupation, Contact and Nation now enabled! Release notes 0.6 Total refactor of the code and I've released the source code at: https://github.com/robincard/duolingo-simplified-to-traditional-chinese/tree/master Release notes 0.5 Fixed bug that stopped characters showing on load for some Chrome users. Reduced file size from 100Kb to 29Kb Release notes 0.4 Larger local cache, which has also been hand curated Release notes 0.3 Bug fixes Release notes 0.2 Doesn't apply to Japanese Kanji characters.
- (2020-07-04) Krzysztof Kańtoch: Used to work perfectly however recently it started mixing both traditional and simplified characters in one sentence.
- (2020-03-26) Australasian Squad: Often, when I hover above characters, the whole page goes blank and I have to reload the page and restart the lesson again. Could you please fix this bug?
- (2019-12-09) Сергій Козак: It does not show meanings.
- (2019-07-11) Peter Fiee: Inconsistent. Will sometimes render words properly but I still see a lot of simplified characters that it ignores. No rhyme or reason to it.
- (2019-04-30) Vincent Gélinas: 會很有用，但如果你不用英語學中文，沒有辦法看繁體字。比如：韓語和中文，日語和中文。T.T
- (2018-09-24) Gordon Chiu: Unfortunately this app slows down your computer to a crawl.
- (2018-07-14) Lê Thu Trang: rất hay và bổ ích
- (2018-05-05) Pedro Pinho: 好好
- (2018-03-26) Denise Tang: Most of the time the extension struggles to translate the characters and creates significant lag. Some meanings are also go missing under the characters.
- (2018-03-02) Lazy Einstein: Makes learning Mandarin on Duolingo better. Thanks Robin
- (2018-02-17) Bastián Parra: Very useful!
- (2018-02-13) Nigel Mirren: The traditional chinese feature is amazing, I'm learning Chinese in Taiwan the Simplified features are useless for me.
- (2018-02-13) Jorgera OR: The course basically isn't possible without this extension.
- (2018-01-18) David Goldman: Works great! Thank you! It would also be nice to have the option for the pinyin pronunciation to appear above the text.
- (2018-01-12) Henry Long: works great but some hints dont show
- (2018-01-08) Nathan Blaisdell: Works great! I would love a word bank with all the definitions though.
- (2017-12-18) Learn to Code: Really helpful, it translates the characters instantly! I was so excited when I found this plugin. Thank you so much!