Meet Seymour. He's your personal typist.
As you type anywhere on the web, Seymour keeps count of the characters that you write. Seymour can remind you to reduce the length of your paragraphs and can even prevent you from crossing a certain amount, set by you individually, for each website that you visit. Seymour is unobtrusive and only shows its counter sign when you're writing. You can easily turn on or off Seymour for a certain website and can easily choose, for each website, a limit of characters you'd like to set for your self. Seymour will take care of the rest for you: he will show you character count with a light color change - starting from basic black to red as you get closer to your limit. This would help you grasp how much you've written. If you choose to force that limit on your writings, Seymour will also show you that limit in its bubble and how many more characters you have left until you reach it. When you do, Seymour will forbid you from writing more in that text area. This is a nice little feature to help you stand in your own expectations.
- (2017-02-02) Hantover: Easily the most used extension in Google Chrome. I love it! It works great for SEO professionals who are trying to see how many characters they've typed into a field. Thank you to whomever created it. It really is a life saver.
- (2015-11-17) If you're copywriting in Google docs or sheets to set limits, this extension is absolutely fantastic.
- (2015-09-09) Adam Gillett: This will save you endless hassle (and clicks) if you have to prepare metadata, standfirsts or other content to strict character limits in spreadsheets or other web apps. Get it!
- (2014-05-09) Igal Steklov: Recommended :)
- (2014-04-20) Niwo'ogaba Joel: Good staff
- (2014-03-21) Dean-Ryan Stone: Great idea, but you need to fix the "floating" thing. The bubble is all over the place and not consistently positioned above the current text entry field. Fix the position in some other way please. Apart from that, well done.
- (2013-10-10) Редкие Клипы: It's a mess, while working in Gmail - characters began behaving crazy, typing in wrong (i mean "gnorw") direction. Also, the extension's bubble was blinking constantly. Words counted though, so two stars.
- (2013-08-02) Anton Tregubov: Works in some fields, alas on forums and websites does not work, often in fields where the chat is working, Not enough option of counting the number of characters without spaces. it would also be convenient if the added option of counting the number of characters the selection of already written text (simply printed on a resource, not you)
- (2018-05-08, v:1.5) Edward D: Feature Request: Character Limit
It would be nice if SPT could read any embedded character limits on a field, or at least the MAXLENGTH attribute in the HTML. I'd like an option for it to be displayed. I'd also like an option to have the character limit (and coloration) change from the default to the maxlength if one exists.
- (2013-12-20, v:1.0.1) Jason Darrell: Google+ inability to transpose plus mentions and hashtags
Hi there. I love this counter, but it's giving me a real headache when trying to comment on Google+, either through the drop-down notification box or as a +1 on a website. Whenever I begin to try to plus mention someone, as soon as I have typed the + sign, the cursor gets sent back "Home" to the top of the comment box. The same is happening when I type a # - no sooner do I start entering text after the hashtag, the cursor gets sent back "Home". As soon as I deactivate Seymour, the plus-mention and hashtag functionality returns. As Google+ is my absolute number 1 social media site, I'm having to disable Seymour on the majority of sites. Is this something you can fix?