Looks up the selected text on a world famous online dictionary.
Just right-click on the selected text and choose * Lookup 'text' on the world famous, blue and red colored online dictionary context menu item and there you go! It was easy, huh? Or alternatively you can hit "Alt + W" shortcut to get the selected text looked up or if there is nothing selected, then the online dictionary is started up on a new tab. (Since version 1.2) HINT: Just be careful not hitting "Ctrl (Cmd on Mac) + W" instead, because it will close your active tab. But in case if you did so, don't panic, you can recover that tab by pressing "Ctrl (Cmd on Mac) + Shift + T". Buy me a coffee :) https://www.buymeacoffee.com/baspeti
- (2022-01-23) shahriar azadian: the best dictionary for esl and native speakers.
- (2021-04-21) Ajay Kumar: Everything is great with the dictionary but using the extension and looking up words open a new tab instead of a pop up bubble right there on that page, it shouldn't be like that. One star less for that caveat.
- (2020-10-16) Tunde Ola: I actually would want it to show me results without leaving the page I'm in. Maybe I can just double click or just right click and select Lookup, but the result shouldn't take me off my page.
- (2020-07-31) W. Colin McKay: Excellent. Just as expected!
- (2020-03-16) Raphael Yang: 可否移除掉[Ctrl + W] 打开merriam-webster.com 的功能呢？
- (2019-09-26) Siding Chen: OMG. It is useful and amazing!!!
- (2019-03-10) -Archie V.-: It just works as expected, so I like it.
- (2018-11-14) Kiran Fatima: whenever i click "look up" it opens chrome web store page :(
- (2018-06-09) Johnavon Joseph Jin: Interesting and useful extension. Despite the fact that multiple versions of Merriam Webster's Dictionary Chrome Extension exists, this is serving me adequately. Many Thanks!
- (2018-04-16) Muhammad Numan: how to download
- (2018-04-14) lalaram gurjar: this dictionary is great but there is no option of direct search in chrom with double click option. plz solve this issue.
- (2018-04-02) Gener Tinio: I have the Merriam-Webster installer CD for my Desktop I like using Merriam-Webster as a personal dictionary .
- (2018-03-29) Bobby Soliven: very useful every time i make and do a bible research, highly recommended
- (2017-12-25) 言川: 提供了选中后右键直接跳转Webster的快捷功能
- (2017-10-14) Nicholas Zachary: Smart idea and good work. Thanks for making this extension.
- (2017-07-16) Daniel Escorial Marqués: It doesn't work correctly. When you click on the icon only the app window that belongs to chrome web store appears.
- (2017-05-09) Roy Wolf: Dysfunctional Extension
- (2017-03-09) edwin catral: Very helpful for getting the right spelling and meanings.
- (2017-02-19) Mohamed Elhadi: very good many thnx
- (2016-12-07) Charles Smith Jr: Great for getting the correct word usage and meanings.
- (2016-11-25) harwinder singh: great dictionary
- (2016-11-14) Noel Leal: great for English definitions
- (2016-11-13) Ross Querubin: really helps my vocabulary.
- (2016-10-20) Saimon Farooqui: awesome
- (2016-09-19) jovialbivouacker99: Great for getting the right word spelling and usage(i.e. definition).
- (2016-05-23) Peter Kim: thank you
- (2016-03-09) Bimbo Fly: Serves as advertised. :)
- (2016-03-09) kirupa shankar: very helpful...
- (2015-12-06) Muhammad Zafar Iqbal: Seems to be good
- (2015-09-13) Anees Bhatti: nice detailed dictionary with synonyms and antonyms.
- (2021-03-31, v:1.3) Marcelo Marcelo: Double-clicking on a word to get its definition stopped working
The first time I installed, the double-clicking feature worked nicely, but now, it simply stopped working. So, when I'm reading an article online, such as the New York Times, I can right-click on a word to get its defintion, but double-clicking on it will not work anymore. Plus, the "options" in the settings of the extension appears disabled, grayed out. Thanks in advance.
- (2020-06-11, v:1.3) Johan Sheridan: Was this extension recently updated?
Forgive me, I am trying to figure out a problem. My MW dictionary extension disappeared from chrome when I migrated, and I'm trying to find out if this is the same extension that I previously had. The extension I had created a popup when you highlighted/double clicked a word, and would give you the MW definition without going to a new page. It seems like the behavior for your extension adds a context menu item when you right click. Is this a recent update? Did your app used to behave differently? I am sorry to bother you! Thanks for any help you might have.
- (2018-05-14, v:1.3) install of merrium webster
How can i install merrium webster?
- (2018-02-18, v:1.3) Nithya Rajan: Unabridged Merriam-Webster
If possible could you add an option to look up unabridged merriam-webster instead of regular merriam webster? The base url for unabridged merriam-webster search is: http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com/unabridged/"search term" Thank you
- (2017-09-27, v:1.3) Dragosh Petrake: Offer
Hi Cool extension :) I'm ready to buy your extension. If you are interested my offer, write to me by e-mail: [email protected]
- (2017-08-10, v:1.3) Margaret Cline Harmon: The voice prompt stopped working
I love the Merriam-Webster App; however, the voice prompt stopped working. I use it daily! Do you have any suggestions for restoring it? [email protected]
- (2017-06-24, v:1.3) Charles Souza: Open the dictionary in popup or modal page
Open the dictionary in popup or modal page.
- (2017-03-17, v:1.3) Irina Svetlowa: Extension buyout
Hi, I am interested in acquiring your extension "Lookup on Merriam-Webster". Please contact me at: [email protected]
- (2016-11-07, v:1.3) its bad
this is bad
- (2016-10-16, v:1.3) Ahmad Zamanifar: DONT WORK
- (2016-05-17, v:1.3) Cameron Dowdle: Inline the definition
What I want is for me to highlight a single word and the definition pops up. Or I highlight and hit a hot key. If ya'll aren't going to do it, I am but I can't make it public with the 1000 hits / day restriction.
- (2016-03-14, v:1.3) Michelle Baxter: extensionon not working
When I highlight a word and right click the Look Up option isn't there.
- (2015-07-29, v:1.3) Sarah Lasair Berry: No Longer Appearing in Context Menu
The "Look up X in Context Menu" option is no longer showing in the right-click context menu when I highlight a word or phrase. It works on my Chromebook, but not on my Windows 7 desktop.