Adds a new non-searchable metric to AO3 works, describing their Kudos/Hits ratio.
It's hard to find the best works on AO3. You can search by kudos, but that tends to give preference to works with a lot of readers that may not necessarily be that good. On the other hand, if you search by hits, you get the most popular works, but as a lot of modern music is a testament to, popularity doesn't necessarily imply that a specific individual finds it of a high quality. Searching by comments or bookmarks generally doesn't work because not enough people use those features for them to be a large enough sample size. Plus, a single user can comment more than once on multi-chapter works, artificially inflating the status of those under that search metric. So what is to be done? How can one, at a glance, determine the overall quality of a work? Enter TrueRank. This extension takes the number of kudos a work has, divides it by the number of hits it has, and displays the resulting value as a percentage. For example, a work with 12 kudos and 96 hits will have a TrueRank of 12.5, because 12/96 = 1/8 = 0.125. This metric is better than any of the ones listed above because it doesn't give preference to popular works (excluding works with < ~10 hits), nor does it prefer multi-chapter works (each user can only leave 1 kudos, and hits are recorded per unique visitor). It's not perfect by any means, but it's a lot better than the tools we have now. Unfortunately, due to the way AO3's search works, you cannot sort an entire body of works by their TrueRank, so for sorting purposes you're stuck with one of the built-in options. But this will very quickly let you know whether a work is (in general) going to be work your time to click on. (Note: The red boxes in the screenshots are for highlighting purposes and do not appear during actual use.)
- (2019-01-09) No longer functional
- (2018-10-09) Olivia Saad: doesn't work.. ao3 has a new layout :(
- (2018-04-08) Endo: I love this extension - but for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to be working anymore! I think AO3 might have changed something with their API recently or something, because no amount of logging in, logging out, uninstalling, reinstalling, or shaking my computer screen seems to be making a difference.
- (2017-11-11) Giulia Correia: It does not work :/
- (2016-12-28) Kelly Preston: Does exactly what it says wonderfully. It would be totally awesome if you guys would consider making a filter too ;)
- (2016-07-27) Katie Willems: When deciding whether to read a fic or not I always look at the Kudos/Hits ratio. I've had to make do with eyeballing it before, though, so this is super helpful. Gives me an actual measurement for comparison. Thanks for this. If only it could be used as a filter.
- (2020-04-22, v:1.1) Jessica Li: Simple fix:
Note to the developer: The only issue with this extension is that the url that the extension works on is http://archiveofourown.org/* instead of https://archiveofourown.org/* For users: for now, until the extension is fixed, all you need to do to fix it is to get an extension such as the "Chrome extension source viewer" (found here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chrome-extension-source-v/jifpbeccnghkjeaalbbjmodiffmgedin). On this page (where you're reading this), the CRX button will be yellow. Click on it and download the extension as a ZIP file. Extract the ZIP file and open up the manifest.json file in a text editor. Find "matches": ["https://archiveofourown.org/*"], and change http to https, keeping everything else the same. Save the file, and open chrome://extensions. Enable developer mode and click "load unpacked extension". Select the *folder* with the modified manifest.json file in it and open it. However, every time you start Chrome, Chrome will show a warning about developer extensions. Just ignore it. All you've done is change the URL that the extension works recognizes. No malicious scripts are running.
- (2020-03-21, v:1.1) Betsy Rosenblatt: Trademark Infringement
Dear hujgup: We are writing on behalf of the Organization for Transformative Works (OTW), a nonprofit that, as you know, hosts fanfiction and other fan-¬created content at the Archive Of Our Own (AO3) website. It has come to our attention that you provide the”AO3 TrueRank” extension for Chrome. We appreciate your apparent affection for the Archive of Our Own, and don't want to dampen that at all! However, we hold trademark rights in our “Archive Of Our Own” and “AO3” names as well as the Archive of Our Own logo, and we need to protect them against unauthorized usage that confuses our users. Since you have launched your extension, we have received communications from users who are confused and believe that your extension is associated with or provided by the AO3. With that in mind, we ask that you remove the AO3 logo from your page, add the word “Unofficial” to the extension name (for example, “Unofficial AO3 TrueRank”), and include a disclaimer in your product description explaining that the extension is not affiliated with the OTW or AO3. It is also important to us that users understand that the AO3 is free to use and does not have any advertising. With that in mind, we kindly ask that you either make all uses of your extension free, or include a note in the extension description noting that use of the AO3 is free without the extension. Thanks again for your affection! Please contact me at [email protected] if you have any questions, or if you wish to discuss the situation. Best, Betsy Rosenblatt, Esq. On behalf of the OTW Legal Committee
- (2018-07-05, v:1.1) mercury: Needs updating
Doesn't work anymore!
- (2018-05-08, v:1.1) Joking611: No longer functions
Extension seems to have stopped calculating truerank
- (2018-04-05, v:1.1) Whit Steele: Not working
Currently not working. I have removed, reinstalled, refreshed, etc.
- (2018-01-08, v:1.1) Yvonne: Extension does not work.
Doesn't work at all.
- (2017-12-17, v:1.1) Rae H: Not Working
Also not working for me
- (2017-11-11, v:1.1) Giulia Correia: Not Working
Sadly, the extension does not work.
- (2017-10-10, v:1.1) not working?
Hi, I've installed this extension but I still don't see the true rank when I'm browsing on AO3. Not sure what went wrong?