Toggles comments on many popular websites.
If you've ever gone to a website and read its comments section, you'll have seen that it's just a vitriolic, idiotic wasteland. Why subject yourself to that? Shut Up hides comments by default. And, you can show comments on a page with a click of a button. It will remember where you turn on comments, and will show them the next time you visit that site. That's it. Simple and free. Enjoy! Uses shutup.css by Steven Frank, with permission. https://github.com/panicsteve/shutup-css
- (2019-12-21) First Last: Doesn't work on Pateron
- (2019-12-09) Gabriele L.: This is a must have. No more useless polemics under forums, videos, just content and no spam. Thanks.
- (2019-11-25) David Hulks: It stopped working but removing it and re-installing it solved the problem.
- (2019-11-02) Mark Unruh: I've been using this for awhile now and it worked fine till recently I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it and still is not working the way it use to I sure hope this can be fixed
- (2019-10-26) Michal Palma: Finally no more comments popuping at soundcloud, THANKS!
- (2019-10-08) Gumball Watterson: The greatest invention since video game emulation. I can't think of surfing the internet and not going insane without this. Comments section really don't belong in certain places.
- (2019-10-03) Tim Watts: Awesome :)
- (2019-09-11) Blaise Leseultre: Was looking for such functionnality ! Works perfectly !
- (2019-08-30) John C: Sublime, works perfectly.
- (2019-08-10) Callofduty4636362422324242424242 hack: Saves my sanity.
- (2019-08-09) John S: Brilliant extension. The internet is an amazing place that's chock-full of vast collections of knowledge, art, and information. It's a shame that hordes of ignorant, hostile, and incredibly unintelligent people tend to ruin it.
- (2019-07-08) Guerric Haché: Very good generally, but I wish there was a whitelist option. The extension blocks comments on comment-based sites like Reddit as well as comments that are "secondary" to page content like news comments, but I only want to block the latter. In order to make sure it's not constantly blocking comments on Reddit I need to enable the "remember were I enabled comments" option, but that also makes it trivially easy to unblock comments once on another site, forget to reblock them, and have that site be comment-enabled from then on. Another extension, Hide Comments Everywhere, does allow individual whitelisting, though I otherwise prefer this extension's interface.
- (2019-07-05) Ryan: Finalmente!
- (2019-05-25) Mai Shiranui: Literally useful on YT if you're tired at reading unoriginal meme format comments and Paheal if you get bothered by anons saying the FG word
- (2019-03-29) Kevin Houlihan: This plugin blocks all comment sections by default with no option to instead allow by default. The plugin is well-maintained and I'd prefer to stick with it if the default could be changed but it can't and this is a huge obvious missing feature. For now, I've switched to the NoComment plugin.
- (2019-02-26) Brian Anthony: Excellent. Works with the Guardian newspaper. Eases the pain and reduces the distraction level. Just one click to toggle on if required.
- (2019-01-17) Rodrigo: THAT'S AWESOME. BEST EXTENSION EVER. Most of comments are really toxic, nazi, racist and stupid. Installing it was the best thing I did
- (2019-01-11) Works well to block time-wasting and annoying comments. The developer responded very quickly and helpfully to my request to fix this so it worked on a newspaper site that I subscribe to.
- (2018-12-24) Zira Angel: I couldn't remove the comments to the site i specifically installed this to get rid of I'm sure it's good for others, but not me
- (2018-12-12) Aya Leo: I love this! Now, I don't have to see the negative irrational comments from many people. I feel compelled to correct their ignorance and it just leads to an argument. It's one thing to simply disagree but it's another to be so factually incorrect and biased. Thank you for this!!!
- (2018-12-04) Karl Lundblad: Ironic.
- (2018-11-29) Atif Hussain: Great extension. One thing I noticed though is that some websites do show 2-3 comments. Is that intentional?
- (2018-10-24) Alex Knibb: Absolutely brilliant. A lovely simple way to get away from the bile and trolling that ruins so much of the internet. Thank you, Ricky!
- (2018-09-18) ChalkWhiteVelosterN: Exactly what I was looking for, super simple.
- (2018-09-17) Jevin So: Thank you for this!
- (2019-12-04, v:4.2.2) marcus dean: IGN
Great app! Any idea why it doesn't work for IGN.UK?
- (2019-03-08, v:4.1.1) Descriptions on instragram blocked
I'm so happy I can finally hide comments on instagram! However it also hides the descriptions of the post by the op, is there a way to fix that? Thanks!
- (2018-11-19, v:4.1) Rainbow Warrior Princess: Forced stylesheet actualisation in options doesn't work anymore
It says: cannot connect with rickyromero.com
- (2018-08-28, v:4.0.1) Pedro Quendo: It's a good extension, but...
I would love if someone invent a way to block a single youtuber in the comments. Saying this because i have so many channels that i like and all of them have a boring guy that comment bad jokes. Sorry for the bad english, nice extension btw :D
- (2018-03-17, v:4.0) Matt Cowherd: Block Steam Comments
Would it be possible to block the comment sections on steamcommunity.com ? Thanks
- (2018-03-08, v:4.0) Dean Brocious: How do I turn off this extension?
I can't see comments on social sites. I want this turned off.
- (2018-03-01, v:4.0) Max P: Instagram comments hides only after page reloaded!!
plugin version loaded from 1.03/2018 Chrome version-- newest (actual on 1/03/2018)
- (2017-05-27, v:3.0.3) Rick Sheahan: Explanation for issues some people may have had
Longtime user of this extension, have my beefs with it but overall I love it (more options? whitelist? blacklist?) anyway, as I reinstall all my extensions on a new browser and come across an issue where even if i uninstall it and switch browsers, the comments no longer show up on the chrome store. I did some inspecting with the dev tools and it turns out I was getting 403'd with my calls to the reviews route as I visited the page because it thought I was a robot, and I had to enter a captcha at the route, I doubt this was triggered from just seeing so many extensions, I think that injecting CSS sometimes causes websites to try to undo it in a funky way that makes a ton of requests, and if its a well made server then you might just get blocked out entirely from your IP for DoS / bot protection.
- (2016-10-02, v:2.5) Nick Douglas: Can't unhide comments on Medium
The option to reveal comments doesn't work on Medium.com. Is there a workaround?
- (2016-05-25, v:2.5) David Graña: Facebook issue?
Suddenly the icon is grayed-out when I go on Facebook, suggesting that it's not available for some reason.
- (2016-05-23, v:2.5) A: temptation
I wish there is a "lock" button, so that I am not tempted to switch it back to where I can see the comments again.