Toggles comments on many popular websites.
If you've ever gone to a website and read its comments section, you'll have seen that it's just a vitriolic, idiotic wasteland. Why subject yourself to that? Shut Up hides comments by default. And, you can show comments on a page with a click of a button. It will remember where you turn on comments, and will show them the next time you visit that site. That's it. Simple and free. Enjoy! Uses shutup.css by Steven Frank, with permission. https://github.com/panicsteve/shutup-css
- (2023-03-31) ねろ: 便利に使わせていただいていますが、ヤフーニュースだけコメントが消えません。
- (2022-12-02) Marcus Chibucos: Shut Up is one of my favorite extensions of all time. I've used it in Firefox, Chrome, and Safari for years. It makes a site like YouTube much more enjoyable, allowing me to watch videos without even noticing the tiresome and endless stream of jabber in the comments section. I keep it pinned to quickly enable it on sites like Reddit, where comments are often desirable. I've never experienced any issues using this extension, and it doesn't seem to affect browser resources in any way that I've noticed. Great!
- (2022-07-08) Hwn Frd: Works like a charm. Works for the Reviews section on MyAnimeList.
- (2022-05-30) Continental Nobleman: good
- (2022-04-01) Turner_KC: Possibly, if not absolutely, the #1 most important and useful extension you will ever install. This is an absolute god-send and deserves to be not only one of, but THE, top rated and suggested extension on every "Top" list ever created. Hell...the world would be a better place if this came pre-installed and activated. Protect your sanity! Install this extension without delay!
- (2022-03-07) Frank Gabis: Great extension, works without any problems so far after downloading. IMO it's 100% necessary if browsing sites like Youtube, Instagram and Reddit if you don't want to pull your hair out over comments that are either very toxic and divisive, or overused jokes you heard 3 years ago
- (2022-01-28) Daniel Francis: Fantastic extension. I use it every day and have loved not seeing comments that would just bother me all day. I have noticed what could be possibly a bug. I just noticed today that the extension will not activate on Google hosted websites like Youtube. Is this something that Chrome is doing? Is it the pound of flesh for hosting this on the Chrome Web Store? Or is this news to the dev team? Edit 01/27/2022: I'm leaving this mostly unedited but have updated the stars to 5. I've learned the chrome web store is protected from any extensions modifying it. That's why this wasn't working on this website. My guess at conspiracy on Google's part was incorrect haha. Fantastic extension! Thanks!
- (2021-11-06) Dean Pearce: Installed and verified on a few sites that I frequent, this is probably now my second favourite plugin after uBlock Origin. Comment sections are insanely toxic, I'm happy that I can avoid the rage-inducing garbage.
- (2021-09-16) Eduard Tikhenko: Увы, не работает на habr.ru
- (2021-09-15) Comrade Toptunov: can u make it for the mobile app also
- (2021-07-29) CreeperPower storing: shut up
- (2021-07-16) Ian J: Works good on some sites, but Twitter still seems to load comments. I'm just a doom scroller and need to be stopped, and maybe this will help. Not reading the comments is self care, Comments not loading at all is even better.
- (2021-06-04) Billy Herrington: Best addon ever created
- (2021-05-05) Rodrigo Oliveira: YAY!
- (2021-04-05) Lad Zappa: I love you sir. I simply love you. I no longer have to see or read what people say on the internet. It's the grossest aspect of humanity, one that comes out when humans have anonymity and no recompense for their words or actions. It's worse than Mos Eisley. The things people say when they are in their home and behind a keyboard, the internet just really shows the true unveiled human condition and it's honestly just psychologically, bad. So thank you sir for making this.
- (2021-03-24) Matěj Fouma: Doesn't work on Facebook anymore. It's essential there! :( Edit 09/03 - still not working. Is it possible that it's because i haven't set English as language? Edit 24/03 - works perfectly
- (2021-03-17) Lahcen Idrissi: Amazing extension thank you!
- (2021-03-04) Milivoj Bunjevac: Five stars, perfect extension to silence the trolls. Just a suggestion to developer: if a password protect could be added, so that the comments cannot be enabled without entering password, it would be even better.
- (2021-02-27) D Boy: comments are a waste of time and where intelligence goes to die 5 times over, I dont need to see 100s of peoples opinions on stuff
- (2021-02-26) maskvp mGy: Worked on a couple sites for less than 24 hours.Had high hopes at first. Tried all sorts of way of using it. Inconsistent and a waste of my time. Probably for you too.
- (2021-02-11) adri kuczynski: me sirve mucho para no leer automáticamente los comentarios estúpidos que ponen en youtube
- (2021-02-07) DC Fan: Runs great on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube but not on Twitter. Please fix this. I really like not having to read negative comments from trolls, fanboys, fangirls, social justice warriors, keyboard warriors, etc, when I watch the video's or read news links. The negative comments can be infuriating. The vast majority who post & respond use fake profiles. Many will post once and never post again just to irritate you or get under your skin.
- (2021-01-02) Brad Bird: Exactly what I needed, works on everything I tested so far.
- (2020-12-15) Lucas Vaz: Funciona com praticamente todos os sites, até mesmo sites mais desconhecidos.
- (2020-12-14) Environmentum: Does not block twitter comments.
- (2020-12-03) Sam (SecondBreakfast): Didn't work :c
- (2020-11-24) Greg OfCanada: Sweet relief. I don't care much for the psychotic ramblings of others. Now I can just block it out. Thank goodness.
- (2020-11-04) Артем Алексеев: Great extension.
- (2020-10-24) Łukasz Jaszak: This plugin is a heaven sent. Even it's name is perfect. Thank you.
- (2020-10-14) Andrew Robinson: Perfection. no longer must i, or anyone else be subject to the cesspool of hatred and pain in comment sections such as the one in youtube. i have no clue who the creator is, but you have created something holy that i will cherish for the rest of my life. Thank you.
- (2020-10-12) Timofey Sherudilo: Does what it should, but not without troubles. Lastly, it began to hide not only comments, but the whole reposts in vk.com conversations. When reading news or recommendations on the same site, there are some glitches, too. And what's strange: the Firefox version of the extension still works perfectly! So 4 stars.
- (2020-09-24) Gevin Madharha: Works perfectly on all websites that I've been to so far. Thank you for allowing me to remove negativity online with ease.
- (2020-09-21) Marcin Pasternak: Dzięki temu rozszerzeniu Internet znowu stał się używalny.
- (2020-08-03) Jonathan Marten: Absolutely fantastic extension, vital for my mental health. Now I can enjoy the internet without the torrent of toxicity that comes from having a comment box. One feature request - the extension doesn't seem to work on the chromium-based Kiwi browser for Android. I'd love to have this work on mobile as well!
- (2020-07-20) David: It stopped working again
- (2020-07-04) Михаил Груздев: Прекрасное расширение! Всё работает идеально и не портит разметку, в моём случае ВКонтакте! Большое спасибо разработчику!
- (2020-04-12) IvanH915: It doesn't work on all of the sites that I go to. Wondering if that can be fixed.
- (2020-04-06) William Tsai: Thanks. That's what I need.
- (2020-02-11) Best comment blocker out there by far. The ability to turn comments on or off quickly, and for it to remember the settings for each website is the winner for me. Highly recommended!
- (2020-02-11) Rayna Kuzio: This extension works *better* than perfectly!! You just right-click to display the context menu and hit the TOGGLE COMMENTS button. That's it. That's all that's involved in turning comments ON or OFF. No extra pop-up's or anything. The sheer ease of this extension has earned an essential place in my personal "distraction-free-zone" kit for Youtube.
- (2020-01-22) In-game Event: Read the name in Pewdiepie voice then you got a perfect extension. No more time and mental health wasting in a cesspool called comment section.
- (2019-12-21) First Last: Doesn't work on Pateron
- (2019-12-09) Gabriele L.: This is a must have. No more useless polemics under forums, videos, just content and no spam. Thanks.
- (2019-11-02) Mark Unruh: I've been using this for awhile now and it worked fine till recently I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it and still is not working the way it use to I sure hope this can be fixed
- (2019-10-26) Michal Palma: Finally no more comments popuping at soundcloud, THANKS!
- (2019-10-08) Gumball Watterson: The greatest invention since video game emulation. I can't think of surfing the internet and not going insane without this. Comments section really don't belong in certain places.
- (2019-10-03) Tim Watts: Awesome :)
- (2019-09-11) Blaise Leseultre: Was looking for such functionnality ! Works perfectly !
- (2019-08-30) John: Sublime, works perfectly.
- (2019-08-10) john larryfish: Saves my sanity.
- (2023-01-27, v:8.0.1) maskvp mGy: New York Post
Does not work on one of the worst out there the NY post! Can you fix this please?
- (2022-12-01, v:8.0.1) Benjamin Ayamba: I want to buy your extension
I want to buy your extension
- (2022-07-29, v:7.1.2) Jane: Doesn't seem to be working
Hi there, I've been using this extension for ages and it's great but recently, it seems to have stopped working. I can see comments on sites even when I have it set to no comments.
- (2022-07-19, v:7.1.2) Dave W: Per Page Comment Blocking
Apologies if this function is available and I missed it. Would it be possible to add per page comment blocking to the extension? I ask specifically for reddit. There are some subs which are comment wastelands, but others which are more functional that benefit from being able to see comments. As an example, I follow a few subs for new subtitled content of Japanese TV - the comments often elaborate and give useful detail. Meanwhile the subs for Vegas locals where I live benefits greatly from having the comments off (especially if anything has a hint of political bend). While I can easily turn on and off the comments manually, I have the turn off button off the toolbar so I am not tempted. So yes, what I am asking of you is because I have poor self control. However, if it was not difficult to add, it would be a greatly appreciated feature to an already excellent extension. Thanks!
- (2021-12-21, v:18.104.22.168) Imran ALI: comment section access in social media platforms
hello, I have a problem in my final year project I want to know that sir how did you access the comment sections of the websites. in my project I need to access the comment section I will be your grateful to you.
- (2021-05-27, v:22.214.171.124) 楊雁雯: It didn`t work on FB.
It didn`t work on FB.
- (2021-03-03, v:7.0.2) Aron Strandberg: Doesn't block all comments on LinkedIn
Hello! Not all comments seem to be blocked successfully on LinkedIn (for me). It seems to only block replies in threads. Anything you can do in the css? Thanks for a great extension!
- (2020-11-04, v:7.0) Артем Алексеев: Allowed list
Hi, where is and how the list of allowed sites stored? I would like save and transfer it between browsers, at least manually.
- (2020-10-15, v:7.0) Timofey Sherudilo: Vk.com still not perfect
OK, reposts on vk.com are fine now, but another older bug still exists. When in the Recommendations (random news) section, from time to time – when looking at images in the imageviewer, closing the viewer brings me to the top of the page, and sometimes to the News section (upper level). I didn't see this behaviour in Firefox. And this occurs not every time I close a news.
- (2020-10-12, v:5.0.2) Timofey Sherudilo: VK.COM problems
Hides the entire reposts in the vk.com conversations, not only comments. Also, breaks the HTML structure, as it seems, when reading news/site recommendations, so when closing a post, I lose the place where I was reading.
- (2020-05-26, v:5.0.1) Bryan “Bevans” Evans: Password-protect?
This is a great extension. Would it be possible for you to add a password-protect option, so it can't be turned off as easily?
- (2019-12-04, v:4.2.2) Marcus Dean: IGN
Great app! Any idea why it doesn't work for IGN.UK?
- (2019-03-08, v:4.1.1) Descriptions on instragram blocked
I'm so happy I can finally hide comments on instagram! However it also hides the descriptions of the post by the op, is there a way to fix that? Thanks!
- (2018-11-19, v:4.1) Rainbow Warrior Princess: Forced stylesheet actualisation in options doesn't work anymore
It says: cannot connect with rickyromero.com
- (2018-08-28, v:4.0.1) Pedro Ávila: It's a good extension, but...
I would love if someone invent a way to block a single youtuber in the comments. Saying this because i have so many channels that i like and all of them have a boring guy that comment bad jokes. Sorry for the bad english, nice extension btw :D
- (2018-03-17, v:4.0) Matt Cowherd: Block Steam Comments
Would it be possible to block the comment sections on steamcommunity.com ? Thanks
- (2018-03-08, v:4.0) Dean Brocious aka Dean Ray: How do I turn off this extension?
I can't see comments on social sites. I want this turned off.
- (2018-03-01, v:4.0) Max P: Instagram comments hides only after page reloaded!!
plugin version loaded from 1.03/2018 Chrome version-- newest (actual on 1/03/2018)
- (2017-05-27, v:3.0.3) Rick Sheahan: Explanation for issues some people may have had
Longtime user of this extension, have my beefs with it but overall I love it (more options? whitelist? blacklist?) anyway, as I reinstall all my extensions on a new browser and come across an issue where even if i uninstall it and switch browsers, the comments no longer show up on the chrome store. I did some inspecting with the dev tools and it turns out I was getting 403'd with my calls to the reviews route as I visited the page because it thought I was a robot, and I had to enter a captcha at the route, I doubt this was triggered from just seeing so many extensions, I think that injecting CSS sometimes causes websites to try to undo it in a funky way that makes a ton of requests, and if its a well made server then you might just get blocked out entirely from your IP for DoS / bot protection.
- (2016-10-02, v:2.5) Nick Douglas: Can't unhide comments on Medium
The option to reveal comments doesn't work on Medium.com. Is there a workaround?
- (2016-05-25, v:2.5) David Graña: Facebook issue?
Suddenly the icon is grayed-out when I go on Facebook, suggesting that it's not available for some reason.
- (2016-05-23, v:2.5) A: temptation
I wish there is a "lock" button, so that I am not tempted to switch it back to where I can see the comments again.