Create Wayback-Consumable WARC Files from Any Webpage
WARCreate is a Google Chrome extension that allows a user to create a Web ARChive (WARC) file from any browsable webpage. The resulting files can then be used with other tools like the Internet Archive's open source Wayback Machine. The tool is an evolving product with the end result pushing toward being a personal web archiving solution for those that wish to securely archive their metadata in a standardize way. RECENT VERSION HISTORY Version 0.2019.1.19 Fixes a variety of issues in code and capture quality.
- (2019-08-06) Qiang Zhong: I search for it for a long time.Thank you for your nice job. I want ust this plugins to achive a japanese website and import to wail,then FTP to my sever let friends or customers to see a local website.
- (2019-03-09) Stefan Quandt: Nach Installation muss man eine zu archivierende Seite erste einmal neu laden, damit ein Klick auf den Tool-Button der Extension einen "Generate WARC"-Button zeigt. Leider hat dann aber ein Klick auf diesen Button keinerlei Wirkung (nicht einmal das Menü mit dem Button verschwindet). Getestet mit Google Chrome 72.0.3626.121.
- (2018-02-08) Rico Ailleurs: Thinks not works with last chrome version
- (2017-12-12) John Berlin: Awesome extension to quickly create a WARC file of any webpage
- (2015-03-22) Panos Diakakis: Software is needed to replay the WARCs by nature of the format. I recommend using Web Archiving Integration Layer (WAIL), a software suite that came about because of WARCreate.
- (2020-01-24, v:0.2019.1.19 build 612) Kittiwake NL: WARC from local .html files
I want to create WARC files from .html files that are stored locally on my computer. Clicking Generate WARC doesn't seem to do anything. Help?
- (2019-03-09, v:0.2019.1.19 build 612) Stefan Quandt: "Generate WARC" has no effect
On most pages I tried to archive (e.g. plus.google.com, www.slashdot.org, chrome.google.com/webstore/search/warcreate, https://www.nytimes.com, www.reichelt.de, www.zeit.de), the "Generate WARC" button has no effect at all (the menu containing the button does not even disappear after being clicke). I.e. in most cases no WARC file will be created in my Downloads folder and no error message is shown. Is there any chance that this will work in the near-term for pages on plus.google.com (the whole site will be shutdown soon)?
- (2017-07-09, v:0.2017.6.6 build 2126) Mohammad Aftab Uddin: Takes time
Seems like it takes time to understand the page based on the contents. It would have been great if we could show a busy indicator next to the button with some progress messages about what's going on. Depending on the site, it takes a good deal of time for Facebook posts.
- (2016-09-02, v:0.2014.8.14) David Portabella: nothing happens
When I click Generate, nothing happens. I don't see any file created on /home/David/Downloads/
- (2015-11-08, v:0.2014.8.14) Egle Jankauskaite: Press Generate - nothing happens
Hello, I am trying to archive a post on Facebook with its comments. When I click Generate, nothing happens. What should I do?
- (2014-03-17, v:0.2014.3.15) Caitlin DeMarco: Problem downloading
Was not able to download. I use Windows 8, don't know if that might cause a problem, but I shouldn't think it would.