Helps you learn languages by translating words and phrases on the websites you visit
Gloss teaches you foreign languages by automatically using Google Translate to translate a few of the words and phrases on the sites you visit into the language of your choice. Each time you load a new web page or new content in Chrome some of the words on the page are translated into the language you're learning, marked in bright red. This lets you learn the words in context while you browse the Internet. You can disable or enable translation for specific websites or for all web pages by clicking the icon in the Chrome toolbar. There's also a snooze button you can click if you just want to take a short break. You can read the original untranslated text or hear the pronunciation of a phrase by hovering over the translation. Gloss selectively picks combinations of common nouns, verbs, adjectives and articles that will be particularly useful to learn. It includes preceding articles and grammatically significant words to help you learn verb conjugations and tenses, adjective forms and noun genders. It also makes sure to pick the same phrases for translation each time you revisit a web page so that you can reinforce the same words and phrases multiple times. When used alongside more traditional language learning tools like books and courses it's a great way to learn new terms and reinforce existing vocabulary. We support over thirty languages completely free including Spanish, French, German, Latin, Italian, Japanese, Chinese and Russian. We're constantly working to add new languages - please contact us if there's a specific one you'd like to see soon. Learn more from our FAQ at https://www.glossolaliasoftware.com/ Supported Languages: Arabic Bengali Bulgarian Chinese (Simplified) Chinese (Traditional) Croatian Danish Dutch Esperanto Filipino Finnish French Galician German Greek Hebrew Hindi Italian Japanese Korean Latin Norwegian Polish Portuguese Romanian Russian Scots Gaelic Spanish Swedish Thai Turkish Vietnamese Welsh Xhosa Yiddish
- (2021-03-29) Kat Kunst: Does what It tells, which is great! Quite often when I want to listen to the word the button for audio vanishes before I can click on it, which can be annoying.
- (2021-01-06) Mustafa Jnainati: Under rated, i never write reviews for anything but this is so good i couldn't help myself
- (2020-12-20) Stewart L: I thought of this concept and then found Gloss. It's what I was looking for. I hope the developer considers expanding this further to maybe allow us to customize how many of the words are translated (such as 1% to 100%) or letting us click on translations and selecting "known" and then it will always include that translation but add more. Good work.
- (2020-11-23) Thomas Bohanon: Simple and effective. As far as I can tell it is the only Chrome extension for replacing text in a webpage with Norwegian. My one request would be that you update the text-to-speech engine for the Norwegian pronunciation. It isn't accurate for Norwegian at all. I'd recommend pulling in Google Translate's audio pronunciation, if that's possible.
- (2020-11-19) aia net: Thank you very much! Vielen Dank!
- (2019-09-29) Kiron Chakraborty: I have tried all the extensions that do this and this is the best one, works very consistently and picks good words to translate in context. the only addition i would like is to be able to control the amount of words translated. So eventually i could get to 50% or even more words as my comprehension grows.
- (2019-04-10) Louis Parker: Thank you for this really good extension that helps me learn German. Keep up the good work!
- (2019-04-02) It needs to also look at context and not just translate individual words. Sometimes the translated words are completely wrong because of this.
- (2019-01-30) Josiah Coad: Love this! And recommending it to family/friends. Works exactly as hoped.
- (2018-09-07) Peter Henry: Just came to say this, this has been ONE OF THE BEST language learning tools I've ever used. From seeing Spanish in context of things I'm doing daily, I'm finally starting to feel like I'm getting somewhere with the language. Amazing idea. Wish this was available for mobile as well. Thank you!
- (2018-07-25) Deta Wiki: It should have an options to setting the minimum length of word to translate.
- (2018-07-16) kami: Terrible. I wanted it to help me learn Korean, instead it's just sitting there doing nothing
- (2017-10-15) Anna Dandelion: While pretty useful, even the "advanced" learning option translates mostly basic phrases. I'm leaving a review because of a big flaw: even when disabled on Facebook it messes up my web Messenger app to the point that it refuses to display the list of conversations, on occasion doesn't display the text typing field, and restores chat colours to default Facebook blue (minor nitpick, but in addition to the other problems it was very annoying); this all happened within 10 minutes of installing the extension. While it has potential it's hardly on the level of a paid app. I might activate it when going on a Wikipedia spree.
- (2017-09-23) Adnan Hussain: Really helping me learn, easy to turn off if I really need to focus on the web page. I use it on reddit so my time wasting turns into great learning!
- (2017-06-10) For me, the hardest thing about learning a new language is getting enough hours of practice. This app turns my time-wasting web-browsing into useful vocabulary practice. And the implementation is very seamless, which I greatly appreciate.
- (2017-06-04) Floyd Knapp: I want to remove this app forever!
- (2017-03-30) Uniquement payant, en version gratuite en tout cas, ne fait rien.
- (2021-03-19, v:1.3.16) Ron Goo: Problem installing extension on chrome
i have an error when installing gloss app. It says download interrupted. An error has occurred. How can I fix this.
- (2020-09-22, v:1.3.16) Daniela Renaudo: ITALIANO
NO ENCUENTRO LECTURAS EN ITALIANO
- (2020-09-22, v:1.3.16) Daniela Renaudo: LEER EN ITALIANO
NO ENCUENTRO LECTURAS EN ITALIANO
- (2017-11-10, v:1.2.2) Caitlin Huxley: Asana Issue
Having this installed causes Asana to give an error "Asana needs to be reloaded". Disabling gloss on that page does not help. Only disabling gloss completely fixes the error. Any idea why, or suggestion on what I can do? I love the plugin, but use Asana every day for work.
- (2017-06-19, v:1.2.2) Matthew Holland: Functionality
I recently added this plugin and was wondering if there are certain types of websites that it doesn't work with. I checked the Wikipedia page that you suggested in the reviews, and it works there. If I look on other websites like msn.com or others nothing happens.
- (2017-05-07, v:1.1.7) Rajiv Abraham: Increase translation frequency and save sentences
Hi, Great App. I liked how you also incorporate repetition. I was looking forward to the following features and was wondering if they are in the paid version of the app? - Is there a setting to increase the frequency of words getting translated? - Can we save the words we like to a database(e.g. Anki)
- (2017-03-30, v:1.0.6) Freemium or only paying?
Is it supposed to be a paid only extension? Because the free version does nothing for me