Replace typewriter quotes, apostrophes, ellipses and dashes with their typographically correct counterparts as you type.
Instant Smart Quotes is the last extension you will need to write beautiful typographically correct texts. - Support for over 50 languages - Quickly enable and disable the instant replacements from the toolbar - Quickly change the language from the toolbar - All settings are saved per page and synched across all of your devices - Text in `backticks` will be ignored in favor of Markdown Depending on which language you have set, the following chars will be replaced for language-specific replacements (comma-separated): ', ", >>, << Chars that will be replaced for no matter which language are the following (comma-separated): ', --, ---, ... This website is a nice manual for English punctuation guidelines: http://www.thepunctuationguide.com/ Sources of which quotes to be used for which language: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark#Summary_table http://www.witch.westfalen.de/csstest/quotes/quotes.html `"Don't be dumb"`, “you’re using Instant Smart Quotes”. ✍️
- (2022-03-18) Toni Mai: This has helped me in my writing so much! Thank you!
- (2022-02-01) Franco Zearo: Excellent extension. I love that it supports more than 50 languages. One observation: Smart quotes work if one word needs to be between quotation marks, but it does not work when I need to put a phrase or a whole sentence between quote. In such cases, only the closing quotation mark changes to a smart quote; the first quotation mark remains a straight quote.
- (2022-01-04) Mr. John: Excellent job, it also works with Opera browser!! Changes all my quotes to curly quotes, which is exactly what I've always wanted on desktop but could only get on Apple mobile by default. So happy as now my tweets/posts look so much more aesthetically pleasing.
- (2021-01-15) Russ Campbell: Cannot get it to work with Blogspot/Blogger editor using Chrome & Windows 10.
- (2021-01-06) Ariel Aguayo: Thank you for the extension.
- (2020-02-07) Gracefolk: Sadly, doesn't work.
- (2019-04-10) F'in Wit The S: I'm loving the idea (and even most of the execution!) *but* it doesn't fill the need I have, which is to replace straight to smart quotes in a Markdown editor -- for Ghost.io in this case, but it would apply anywhere -- but *only if not inside a code block* (between opening and closing ` or ```, in other words). Obviously you need single and double quotes to be unchanged in code. I know this would probably mean a dramatic change to the codebase, but please consider it for the future.
- (2018-11-30) Chris Allen Moore: I so needed this extension. Thank you so much for this useful extension! It saves me a lot of work.
- (2018-08-17) Jachym Michal: Great job, man! I mean, this is way more useful than any so called 'typographic' guidelines. It just works. Would give it six stars if I could. And make it a native part of Chrome.
- (2018-03-11) Max Mustermann: Really useful extension, although it keeps forgetting settings for a small number of sites (Reddit comes to mind, you have to set it manually to your language every single time you visit any page on there). It would be great if there was a way to set the default language manually (like a global button) to make such issues less of a problem. Additionally, having the extension work with guillemets (as an alternative setting) would be great, as some languages use those as their primary smart quotes in machine written texts.
- (2017-11-18) Michael G: Exactly what I was looking for and so well designed!
- (2016-03-22) zamfofex: Brilliant! However, it doesn’t work with contenteditable elements. (i.e. YouTube comment box)
- (2016-01-14) Steven Noble: Handy, but would be worth four stars if you could enable/disable it from an icon in the toolbar, and five stars if you could create whitelists and/or blacklists of sites that it did/didn't affect. Let me know if you add these features as I'd love to revise my rating.
- (2015-10-27) Ayrton De Speville: I'm thrilled that this has has been added as an extension, especially due to the fact that it automatically changes the prefixes on whatever website I may be using, so a big cheers to that! Now, if only I could find a counterpart to affect the whole OS!
- (2021-02-26, v:4.0.2) Anatoly IVANOV: Cursor position jumps to beginning of text field (div with contenteditable param) after line break
Hallo Florian, Starting sometime end of 2020, your JS code does not longer maintain the cursor position after a Shift+Enter line break — the cursor jumps to the beginning of text field or div with contenteditable set to true. Also happens with emoji insertion, as reported earlier by @Serhat ATALAY. Rendering an otherwise fantastic extension unuseable for longer text entry, unfortunately. Ping me for any debug info, I'm a JS dev as well. — Anatoly IVANOV .com
- (2020-11-24, v:4.0.2) Christopher R.: Windows Application
I’m currently using your Chrome extension which works absolutely like a charm, but I was also wondering if it would ever be possible for an extension such as this one to be developed as a standalone application that would be used in the Windows environment. Currently I’m using an AutoHotkey script which is supposed to replicate the behavior of this extension outside of Chrome, which functions almost similarly to the Instant Smart Quotes extension. Of course it has its own issues, but those are what led me to inquire about the possibility of this extension becoming an application.
- (2020-10-27, v:4.0.2) Charles Meyerson: This extension, Opera and Blogger
Any way to get this extension to work with Blogger on Opera? It does work with Chrome very well!), but most Chrome extensions work with Opera, too. This one seems not to. I'd be happy to pay for a version that did.
- (2020-09-18, v:4.0.2) Charles Meyerson: Doesn't reliably work with Opera and Blogger
Just installed this and it worked flawlessly … until it didn't. Not sure what changed. But I've installed and reinstalled several times and can't get it to work again. Suggestions welcome!
- (2020-08-12, v:4.0.2) Serhat ATALAY: Cursor jumps to beginning when inserting objects into the text box
I've been using this extension for years, and I did suggest it to some of my translator/editor friends. For the last couple of months, we've been running into a weird problem. Whenever I insert something other than text into the text field, (for example an emoji in whatsapp web client), the cursor jumps back to the beginning of the text field. I'm mainly using this extension on a translation tool, where I need to insert tags in the text boxes (to signify a bold font, make a text hyperlink etc.) And as soon as I insert a tag, the cursor moves to the beginning of the text box, which makes it really hard to work with. It is the exact same behaviour with the whatsapp web client, which should be easier to test. Other than this hiccup, I really love this little extension and hope to use it in the future again.
- (2020-01-30, v:4.0.1) Jon M: “Guillemet” quotation marks
To create French-style guillemet quotation marks, the extension requires the user to type << and >>. It would be much easier if the extension would automatically change the standard quotation mark key (“) to a guillemet, since this is the key that French-speakers actually use (MS word autocorrects “ to << for example)
- (2019-08-28, v:3.1.0) Roly Perera: Undo not working
Hi, I love the idea. However I'm using Chrome 74.0.3729.131 on Ubuntu and smart quotes interfere with Undo: it's not possible to undo past the insertion of any smart quote!
- (2019-03-15, v:3.1.0) Eric Ressner: Am I doing something wrong?
Trying to turn the app ON for use in a WordPress dashboard. I clicked on the big black dot, chose a language and clicked ON. The icon changed to "OFF", and no matter what I do, I can't change it to "ON". I'm using a Toshiba Chromebook.
- (2017-10-14, v:3.1.0) Christopher R.: Em Dash/Ellipsis Bug; Suggestions
Hello. This is actually a pretty good extension and I do enjoy using it. I do however want to mention a few things I've noticed. There's a bug that occurs on Facebook that forces the cursor to the previous space preceding the first or second character that is typed after an em dash or ellipsis is typed, and so for instance, "...okay" would become "...kayo" or "...ayok" instead. So far this bug only occurs on Facebook and nowhere else. The bug manifests every single time either of these characters are typed and so I hope that this can be corrected since it is quite bothersome when it occurs while typing. One suggestion I have would be an implemented dialogue or menu of typographical characters into the extension button/menu that the user can access and select characters from that are either copied to the clipboard when selected or implemented directly into the users' text field while typing when or after the character is selected, similar to how the 'Emoji for Google Chrome' extension functions. I noticed that while using this extension that an opening single quote is also typed when a shortened numerical year is written; i.e. "‘95" or 1995 should actually be "’95" in order to be typographically correct. The same thing occurs textually when shortened words like "'cause" (because) or "'til" (until) are written, where the improper apostrophe is placed instead of the closing single quote. This is one reason I mentioned the typographical character menu implementation into the extension earlier. I do thank you however for taking the time to read my message concerning these matters, and I also hope to see the progressive development of this extension.