Open local file links to hard disk, company's shared folders, mapped network drive... directly in your corporate website.
Local Explorer gives a simple file manager that lets you browse and open local file links directly in your web browser. Local Explorer opens Windows Explorer when a local folder is clicked, or associated application when a file is clicked. For examples, click *.doc file to open MS Word, click *.avi file to open Windows Media Player, and so on... Local Explorer can open local file & folder links to the local hard disk drives, or company resources like network shares, mapped remote directories or Active Directory enterprise environment. The two most commonly used applications on your computer are your file browser and your web browser. Wouldn't it be great if they were both in one place? EXAMPLES C:\Users\my_user_name\Documents ("My Documents" folders) \\10.0.0.1\shared\local\folders\files (network drive) W:\folder\ and W:\folder\file.doc (on webpages they're "file:///W:/folder/" and "file:///W:/folder/file.doc") NOTES - We built this long ago for our in-house system, and now we publish it and it's free. If you found a problem, contact us at [email protected] or the "Send Feedback" button to the right before you post a negative review. - We don't support Unicode yet. The extension won't work if the path or file name contains Unicode characters. - Currently it works only on Windows, we would build Mac OS and Linux version if we got high volume of requests. - For the people complain about anti-vir warnings, it was a FALSE POSITIVE. We rebuilt our Integration module, see this http://goo.gl/qDNGP7 - Silent Enterprise client installation for LocalExplorer protocol handler: LocalExplorer-Setup.exe /S HOW TO SET UP For security reason, Google has made a policy to not allow webpages to read-write local resource on hard drives. So we need an integration between the Chrome Extension and File System (Windows Explorer, Mac OS Finder) using an external software. To install both, just follow the simple steps described in http://www.vnprodev.com/browser-extensions/local-explorer-install.php - Step 1: Add the extension to Chrome/Firefox/Safari to browser and enable "Allow access to file URLs". - Step 2: Set your default folder in Options page and click Save Settings. - Step 3: On Windows, download and install this app http://goo.gl/trX9bB for Windows Explorer integration, just run "LocalExplorer-Setup.exe" once then you're ready to go. Now you can open local file links directly while browsing the web. SILENT INSTALL command line for the Integration module: LocalExplorer-Setup.exe /S
- (2020-07-26) Ronda Siberia: Please support the folder with Russian names!
- (2020-07-18) John Kyle: Oh this is sick! Exactly what I was looking for and it works great. Now I can put links like [My Markdown file]("C:\dir\dir\file.md") in www.dynalist.io and when clicked the file opens in its default app (VS Code for Markdown files on my system.) Thank you SO much, devs!
- (2020-07-06) Adarsh Madrecha: Perfect plugin to improve productivity
- (2020-07-05) Avi Barzilay Perspective: Very efficient and amazing tool...
- (2020-07-04) Frank Ebert: very good extension
- (2020-03-17) Kayleigh Moore: oh my its easy to do it w/out internet just use file explorer built in your os
- (2020-03-11) DEVARAKONDA MURALIDHAR: Very good for me in the pc
- (2020-01-17) F. R.: Would be better if you could limit to given URLs http://localhost -> use the plugin http://my.domain -> use the plugin http://google.com -> default behaviour of chrome
- (2020-01-16) Mirko P: Great Extension but when i click on a link, i see a dialog box saying "Open Local Explorer?" Then i have to choose between 2 buttons, "Open" and "Cancel"! This is terrible, each time confirmation-click. How can i disable this? Do you other guys also have this behaviour? Is this a Chrome thing or a extension thing? I tried everything, all settings i was able to find... no success. On another PC, it works without a Dialog box, no idea why, settings 100% the same!!! Hope anyone can help me out.
- (2019-12-31) Courtney Stearns: Conceptually it is a good idea. Unfortunately, the installation of the Integration Module didn't work for me. I downloaded and installed the Integration Module on my Windows machine (Windows 10 Professional). "Installation complete..." but the configuration screen did not appear and no shortcuts were created. I found the executable in the x86 folder, but that did not load either. Additionally, the documentation for configuring the Integration module - the "one simple step" is in my opinion poorly written and has no functional help for this problem.
- (2019-11-19) Eric Strid: Does anyone know how to get it to work when the user is not an administrator on the computer?
- (2019-11-14) David Young: Crazy constraints on Win file access at one client made this a no brain'er. Love it!
- (2019-11-10) Jim Bui: its very helful. Thanks
- (2019-09-08) Алексей Городков: setup
- (2019-08-13) John Blackledge: Oh - only for Windows Chrome users? - Bleh. Uninstalled.
- (2019-07-15) kb neopaney: done correctly
- (2019-07-10) Anderson Melo: So Cool
- (2019-06-20) Nate Hadro: A little vague on the instructions, but in short 1. Add the extension, 2. Install the associated tool on your machine. 3. Click on a link and say open with that associated application. From there you are good to go. Seems to work well and really the only option I've found that works. Thank you!
- (2019-06-19) P GS: this is malware. the code hijacks your clicks to ad pages so the cun- can make money
- (2019-06-07) Walter Segovia: Es muy necesario para aplicaciones web.
- (2019-06-04) Bruce Davidson: Doesn't work on chrome os, so why is it in the chrome store?
- (2019-06-01) ふりかけごはん: Please correspond to the Japanese path. 日本語パスに対応させてください。
- (2019-05-16) Fred Miller: Works Great, but I would like a way to search for file names. If there is let me know.
- (2019-05-16) A nonymous: can not windows shortcut open .lnk
- (2019-02-23) COOL.
- (2020-07-30, v:2020.7.1.1) Dimitri GAILLOT: Lacking checkbox to avoid showing the verification popup every time a file link is used
It actually works partially : - the testing link to C:/Program Files in "chrome-extension://eokekhgpaakbkfkmjjcbffibkencdfkl/options.html" doesn't add a popup nor require a checkbox - in localhost the popup "Open LocalExplorer App ?" actually does have a checkbox to avoid to validate this step in further attempts - in intranet web pages from URLs like "http://192.168.1.12/intranet/" the "Open LocalExplorer App ?" popup opens every time a file:// like is opened, without any checkbox shown to avoid this step.
- (2020-07-17, v:2020.7.1.1) Daniel Remler: Could not open Hidden File Share (with $ at end of name)
This looks great for normal file shares -- but when I try to open a hidden file share (a file share with a $ at the end of the name) it LocalExplorer says File or Folder not found. Anyway to fix this? I'd love it if so. I definitely have rights to open this share.
- (2020-07-16, v:2020.7.1.1) Eli Jacobson: New Microsoft Edge
I tried this extension on the new (Chromium based) Microsoft Edge, and it works great. However, there is a pop-up each time saying "This site is trying to open LocalExplorer App." On May 7, you posted a Registry setting to avoid this pop-up in Chrome. Is there a similar registry setting for the new Edge? By the way: I believe there is a typo in your May 7 post. There should be a [ before HKEY...
- (2020-07-10, v:2020.7.1.1) IMTIYAZ HUSSAIN: open app
why isnot oppenig my app
- (2020-07-07, v:2020.7.1.1) Alex xelA: Russian language link dont open
I have some problems with open link on russian language. Example: C:\Temp\UT2\Папка - dont open, but C:\Temp\UT2\ - worked. How to fix it?
- (2020-05-19, v:2016.6.21.0) fabio lorini: Network shared don't work
Hi, When i try to access network share, i got an error message "File or Folder not found" But if i copy and paste the same url on explorer it works. What is the syntax from web pages? I use: <a href="\\Server\opt">Open</a> But i've tried: <a href="file:\\\\Server\opt">Open</a> <a href="\\IP\opt">Open</a> <a href="file:\\//Server/opt">Open</a>
- (2020-05-12, v:2016.6.21.0) Konstantinos Gkentsos: popup window
hello, i have insalled file explorer to several pcs and laptops. the issue that i face is that to some computers i have the option to check a box and every time i use thw extention the file explorer opens at once and to some other compures i have to give permission every time i use the extension before the file explorer opens. is anything that i could do to have run it to all computers as in the first occasion ? all the computers runs win 10 and google chrome.
- (2020-05-06, v:2016.6.21.0) Mathew Brigham: local explorer app
hi i dont know where to find step 1 allow file to access urls please can you advise me
- (2020-05-04, v:2016.6.21.0) Pierre Joassin: How to suppress dialog box?
Hello, thank you for developing it. But I have a question : is there any way to disable/suppress the dialogue box "Open In Local Explorer App" which appears before opening a local file? On one of my PCs the dialogue box does not display, but on all my other ones, it does display...which is a bit annoying, since we use it quite a lot. Any help is appreciated. Thanks again!
- (2020-04-20, v:2016.6.21.0) MixUnit Sales Team: Suppress "Open Local Explorer App" dialogue box?
Hi, love the app! Thank you for developing it. My question is: is there any way to disable/suppress the dialogue box "Open In Local Explorer App" which appears before opening a local file? On one of my PCs the dialogue box does not display, but on all my other ones, it does display...which is a bit annoying, since we use it quite a lot. Any help is appreciated. Thanks again!
- (2020-04-01, v:2016.6.21.0) Gerard Boterman: Poor users manual
A very colourful, over populated screen, but no idea how to set up to shared google drive. Right-click 'Options' does not relate at all to the setup screen. Currently cannot use it as Explored open in google format, not in explorer format. Needs improvement.
- (2020-03-12, v:2016.6.21.0) Gregory Bell: Install thank you page opens automatically with home page
Whenever I open Chrome the http://www.vnprodev.com/browser-extensions/local-explorer-install.php?thanks page also opens along with my designated home page.
- (2020-03-02, v:2016.6.21.0) Conrad Buerger: FireFox Extension/AddOn
The webpage suggests that the extension is also available on FireFox, but I cannot find it when searching for FireFox extensions or on your webpage.
- (2020-01-30, v:2016.6.21.0) STP Engineering: Popup forever??
Pop Up since Chrome update Since one of the last versions of Chrome we have a popup asking "Open File Explorer App?" This didn't used to occur. Is there a way to change this so that this does not continuously pop up?
- (2019-12-13, v:2016.6.21.0) ITS Inc.: Pop Up since Chrome update
Since one of the last versions of Chrome we have a popup asking "Open File Explorer App?" This didn't used to occur. Is there a way to change this so that this does not continuously pop up?
- (2019-11-22, v:2016.6.21.0) Наталья Литвин: "file or folder not found"
При попытке открыть файл, название которого содержит кириллицу, появляется ошибка "file or folder not found". Есть ли возможность настроить открытие файлов и папок не только на латинице, но и на кириллице?
- (2019-11-11, v:2016.6.21.0) Mike Ma playlist: fenêtre de confirmation...
Quelqu'un peut t'il m'aider svp ? Car depuis que j'ai effacé toutes mes données de navigation et l'historique dans Chrome, une fenêtre s'ouvre et me demande à chaque clic : "Ouvrir LocalExplorer App ? [ouvrir] [annuler]"
- (2019-11-07, v:2016.6.21.0) Marco Kirchmair: Umlaute
Ich kann keine Ordner in meinem Filesystem mit Umlaute öffnen. z.B. C:\\daten\Aufträge Bitte um behebung
- (2019-10-09, v:2016.6.21.0) William Thebrand: Linux / Unix support
Have not been able to get the extension to work in my unix system. Was wondering if unix was supported at all?
- (2019-10-08, v:2016.6.21.0) Scott Wilson: Phone
How do I get google to phone me?
- (2019-10-08, v:2016.6.21.0) Scott Wilson: Hacked
My entore sustem is bring run my outside means. Please call asap/ Scott 310.9844631
- (2019-10-08, v:2016.6.21.0) Joseph Cam: There used to be a "remember" setting option that seems to have gone away.
Is there a way to stop chrome from asking to access the directory via the extension? There used to be a "remember" setting option that seems to have gone away.
- (2019-10-04, v:2016.6.21.0) Thomas Oaks: Recent Windows Update
Now while using at work, I have a popup every time I click a link asking "Open File Explorer App?" - This is a bit annoying, I'd like that disabled with a update if possible, or email me instructions on how to disable this. [email protected]
- (2019-09-28, v:2016.6.21.0) Rahish Kumar: Confirmation Check box
in older version when i clicked a folder, locar explorer was asking if i want to open the files "always" with local explorer as a choice. Now in updated chrome i dont have such a choice. Can you guide me how to enable it? Thanks in advance.
- (2019-09-23, v:2016.6.21.0) Panagiotis Alexopoulos: Confirmation tick box.
In older version when i clicked a folder, locar explorer was asking if i want to open the files "always" with local explorer as a choice. Now in updated chrome i dont have such a choice. Can you guide me how to enable it? Thanks in advance.