Support arranging Trello lists into horizontal swimlanes. To start a new swimlane, just add | or a swimmer emoji to a list's header.
Trello is a handy tool for keeping track of list items, but it limits you to a single row of lists. This lightweight, keep-it-simple extension for Trello allows you to create multiple horizontal "swimlanes" of lists. Just add the | character or swimmer emoji 🏊 to the header of any list that should start a swimlane, and you're all set! The lane will be labeled with whatever text follows the swimmer, so if the header reads "Backlog for |Project X", that lane's label will read "Project X". Moving lists around can cause Trello to get confused and show everything in one lane again; just reload the page to fix it. You may also find it easier to toggle off the extension, re-arrange your lists, and then re-enable the extension. (This is not ideal, for certain, but it's so far unavoidable.) Note: the extension may ask for permission to view your browsing history. This is to allow it to activate itself only on Trello pages; it is inactive anywhere else. It does not and will not collect, save, or transmit your browsing history.
- (2021-04-08) Stan Sorochan: Steep learning curve, annoying at first until you see what it's doing. But in the end it works.
- (2020-09-30) Alyona Anokhova: Thank you for creating so desirable option! The only one thing I am conserned about is it doesn't work 😥 I see the extesion icon, it is turned on, full access was granted to trello.com (no more permissions is required in the settings). I am trying to add | or swimmemodji and nothing happens. I'm logged in Trello as an Atlassian user, i'm currently the only team member with this extention installed What am i doing wrong? Please help
- (2020-07-12) Carmine Esposito: I downloaded it but I don't know how use it, I can't see any button that allows me to create swim lanes. Any suggestions please?
- (2020-04-01) James Blakey-Milner: Buggy. Keeps reordering lists, putting them into the wrong swimlane. If I manually fix it, it undoes the fix. Most frustrating.
- (2020-02-04) Jorge Díaz Bes: Excellent, just what I was looking for. Combine it with Trello Fold chrome extension + some reporting powerup and you have a fully functional kanban.
- (2019-10-29) Greg Eatwell: Great effort!!! Thank you for creating this. It is a little buggy but once you've set up your template it works great. Unfortunately it doesn't translate to the mobile apps, but if you and your teams use desktop all day then it shouldn't be a big deal. I agree with others that it would be nice to be able to shrink the lists to improve visibility.
- (2019-09-29) VV VV: A bit tricky but it works) thank you! Just put the "I" sign and refresh the page. Everything is written in the description.
- (2019-06-06) Don Mink: Love the idea. Unfortunately, I've tried every formatting option to get this to work, but it's only adding cards as usual, not swimlanes.Using Chrome 74.0.3729.169.
- (2019-05-22) Thorsten Reis: this does not work at all, maybe if you use two swimlanes only, setting up 3 or more swimlanes with 4 or 5 columns was impossible, reloading did always end up with randomized order. no idea how others can work with this
- (2019-01-09) yannick quenec'hdu: Don't work with the last chrome version. No documentation to describe to use this...
- (2018-11-27) K.B. Tidwell: I'm in the middle of road testing every Trello extension I can find, and this one has found a permanent spot with me! My use-case: I had created many boards for to-do lists, each one centered on a particular area of my life. Like Home, Vehicles, Finances, etc. I set up IFTTT recipes to allow me to enter to-do's on any board, and have all of them consolidated on my master board that I have in constant view on my phone. But with the too-long delays involved in the recipes, it proved too cumbersome. So I have been building one big board to handle everything (I'm a busy, yet not productive enough husband, father, son, employee, human so I need this), and believe me...the end result was about six miles long in screen real estate. So this is a Godsend! It's made a huge difference because of Trello's scrolling peculiarities. I'm no developer, so all I can do is suggest: * Allow the inclusion of a special character in a list name to enable a Bookmark tick on the horizontal scroll bar, similar to in some videos where you can click the mark to fast forward to that spot in the video. -OR- * Allow the roller button on the mouse to scroll lists vertically when you HOVER OVER THE LIST, or to scroll the board horizontally when you HOVER OVER THE BACKGROUND. My one suggestion to Jeff Yaus about this extension: implement a toggle to allow shortening of long lists so that the vertical empty space between swimlanes isn't so potentially huge. Right now I suppose it's unlimited, and I have some lists that give me a LONG scroll time between them. Otherwise, rock on. This is one awesome extension.
- (2018-11-23) Marc Autó: Very nice. It would be great to be able to minimize a lane
- (2018-09-17) Luigi Vitelli: Very nice plugin, I can't use trello without it. 5 stars if I'll be able to "minify" a lane. please.
- (2018-08-20) Thiago Malatesta Teixeira: Very easy to use and very usefull
- (2018-07-30) Simon Phillips: Thanks Jeff - this is a really great addition to Trello. Do you know if it can be used on the Android app as well or there another way to achieve the same outcome ? Simon
- (2018-06-09) Александр Суходько: Отлично работает. Всё удобно. Надо в начало имени какого-либо списка вставить этот символ: 🏊, и тогда с этого списка начинается новый swimlane.
- (2018-06-04) DEISER: The swimlanes don't add the functionalities you'd expect - namely, being able to split lists across. It just adds a lable above the list and creates list on a horizontal stack, but as soon as you try to move them around they break.
- (2018-03-07) Tobias Locsei: Thank you for creating this! It was simple to get up and running. Moving columns in swimlanes layout is a bit buggy, but you can work around it by turning off swimlanes for a moment, then re-ordering the columns how you want, then turning swimlanes back on again. Please keep developing the extension. It's very useful and there are no alternatives.
- (2018-02-02) MJ C: This extension is a great step in the right direction, but doesn't quite meet our need: the swimlane is automatically started from the first column. In order to assign work to 2 teams from a common backlog, it would be very useful to be able to start the swimlane from the 2nd or 3rd column. If the backlog in the first column is very long, it makes the work of the second team disappear off the bottom of the page.
- (2018-01-09) Sameer Youssef: Hi Jeff, great idea but some issues: (1) Extra columns (wider than screen width) wrap onto a new row. (2) Rearranging columns is painful and requires a page refresh to see the new order.
- (2017-12-19) Stephane Duplessis: The extension has potential, but it is really buggy. Trying to move lists around once you've started establishing swimlanes provides unexpected results. List width also seem to be impacted (narrower). It's the only real solution I can find that does swimlanes with Trello. So it has potential. Will still attempt to use.
- (2017-12-11) Terence Tirella: Makes it so much easier to organize Trello boards.