Override system power-saving settings.
This extension makes it easy to temporarily disable power management on Chrome OS. It adds an icon in the upper-right corner of the browser that can be clicked to switch between modes where the screen is kept on (sun icon), the system is prevented from sleeping (sunset), or power-saving settings are left unchanged (moon). ---- Frequently-asked questions: * Will this extension prevent a Chromebook from suspending when its lid is closed? No, but if an external display is connected, recent versions of Chrome OS will remain awake when the lid is closed. * What's the difference between the "screen is kept on" and "system is prevented from sleeping" modes? When the system is prevented from sleeping (sunset icon), network connections will remain active; this may be useful if using e.g. the Secure Shell app. The screen will still dim and turn off eventually, though. In the "screen is kept on" mode (sun icon), the system will avoid sleeping and the display will additionally remain on. * What do the icons mean? The sun icon means that the screen will be kept on. The moon icon means that the system will behave the same way that it would if the extension were not installed. The sunset icon is a middle ground: the system will avoid sleeping (as described above) but the screen will still turn off. ---- Release notes for version 1.8 (1.7 was never published): Removed windows.onCreated hack added to work around http://crbug.com/222473 on Chrome OS. Release notes for version 1.6: Removed scary "tabs" permission. (Technical details: There's a bug where Chrome doesn't notify extensions after the user logs in on Chrome OS. This extension loads its saved state whenever a window is created instead. The chrome.windows API is documented as requiring the "tabs" permission but listening for window creation appears to work without it.) Release notes for version 1.5: This version fixes a bug where the previous mode would not be correctly restored after logging out and back in. Note also that only the "keep the screen on" and "unchanged" modes are available in Chrome 26. In Chrome 27, the "prevent the system from sleeping" mode is also available.
- (2020-01-01) Gary Bishop: Works great. I use it all the time.
- (2019-12-22) Richard Stephens: Does what it says it does - Chrome OS would be far less usable without it.
- (2019-12-22) Jack Leahy: Does not work on Pixel Slate. Screen saver turns on in 6 minutes despite having set the extension to the keep awake setting unless I push a button or brush the track pad. It's a distraction if you want to watch any video that is longer than 6 minutes.
- (2019-08-26) iNoobBoi: Quite efficient and compact.
- (2019-08-14) Tahmid: Works
- (2019-06-08) John Paul Villanueva: I don't know how these 3 options works. No clear instructions or settings. I just clicked the daylight since I want to keep my screen open even if its locked. So 5 stars!
- (2019-05-16) kath nh: Now I don't have to sign in every time I walk away for a minute!
- (2019-04-28) Alaric Titeux: Bonne idée, c'est même complètement débile de la part de google de ne pas avoir un minimum de gestion à ce niveau dans les chromebook. Par contre l'appli à empêché l’écran de se rallumer après avoir éteint et redémarré l'ordi. obligé de faire un recovery via usb... pas content du tout!!!
- (2019-03-29) Pam wetherall: I 100% rate this as a must have for us filmeze and youtube watching video's buffs and other activities. etc...Before I had this ext added, it drove me crazy, well, I have now been using this ext for more than 3yrs and now I couldn't do without it now, it's like going out naked, you wouldn't do it would you,,,
- (2019-03-10) Joshua Vogel: Does exactly what I needed: Keeping the screen on while cooking. Great that it doesn't require any permissions. Found the icon a little confusing at first, thought the rollover text showed what mode the extension would go to if clicked, instead it tells you what mode it's currently in.
- (2019-02-27) Adrian Ma: Awesome, great for presentations and heavy duty work. Would be excellent if you offered a timed option to automatically switch back to regular mode after so many minutes or hours in case I forget to set it back manually.
- (2019-02-13) AdMan The Lab Rat: I used it on ou ACER CB5-3111,s and I Love it because using Chrome on a locked do it overrode wn Win7 work box, this allows me to override My former employer's group policy and kills our mandatory 5 minute timeout policy (I installed it on my ACER CB5-311, then enabled Chrome to also synch my extensions and apps, then logged in at work on my Win7 box, firedup chrome and now I'm in control!
- (2019-01-27) Marcelo Iturbe: Simplemente funciona.
- (2018-12-04) Steven James: OMG this actually worked!!!! This just saved me a ton of headaches from a really inconsiderate policy.
- (2018-11-29) BILL jester: the option is built in but u got to know how to find it and you all rock.
- (2018-10-10) Ning Cao: good
- (2018-10-01) Dave: Lid has to be opened and closed each time I use it connected to TV HDMI. Would love to just click my mouse and have it wake the screen. fail. Chromebook
- (2018-09-30) Jacob Katz: It doesn't work on my Acer Chromebook. I wish it would, the screen keeps shutting off while I try to listen to a music video.
- (2018-09-25) John Dickinson: Works great on HP Chromebook X2!
- (2018-09-18) Jiahui Peng: At least the icons are lovely LOL
- (2018-09-14) Michel Basilieres: Doesn't work. Chromebook goes to sleep and won't wake up until rebooted.
- (2018-08-15) Leighanne Turner: it works
- (2018-07-09) Jay: it works
- (2018-06-19) Victor Daniel: So great, I love it. Thank you google.
- (2018-06-13) rahim4411: THIS IS HOT, AND IT WORKS!
- (2020-01-13, v:1.8) Amanda Garcia: Extension is Prohibiting PDF Files From Opening In Chrome
Extension must be disabled to open PDF files in the browser.
- (2019-11-15, v:1.8) Arnau Carreras: No Longer Working
As others have said, this extension does no longer prevent a company-managed Chrome OS PC from sleeping since 1-2 weeks ago.
- (2019-11-15, v:1.8) David Zhong: Does it work on Windows 10 with restricted ability to alter power settings?
My company laptop is running Windows 10. I see reviews primarily from Chromebook users and I wonder how well it works on windows 10? Also, the power settings are managed by my company thus cannot be changed. The screen goes dark after 30min and requires password to log back in (yup, it's super annoying). Are you confident your addon can override this? Look forward to your reply.
- (2019-11-14, v:1.8) Ryan MacConnell: No Longer Working
This extension was working fine up until about a week ago. Now it will fall asleep no matter which mode it is set on.
- (2019-11-12, v:1.8) CJ Vincoy: Does not function
It appears that this extension is no longer working on our chrome boxes. Even though we had it turned on and setup, our units automatically shuts to sleep mode when no action is made within a minute, thus also removes connection in ethernet and causes problem for us to be back with our speakeasy on time. I am unable to record this for security reason here in our work environment. You can ping me at my LDAP (cvincoy) anytime if you have additional questions that I can help with.
- (2019-11-11, v:1.8) Cute pepe: System is still going to Sleep mode (Tried using the two modes)
The moment the tool is kept on awake mode and Kept ON mode, system should be ON forever but it's going into sleep mode per the system settings.
- (2019-09-03, v:1.8) John Radford: Screen keeps turning off despite settings
Hey there, I have this setup on a chromebit for a TV at my business, and for whatever reason everything works fine for a live menu we have on screen without it ever shutting off, but once we move chrome over to a static .jpg in another tab (it's our "we're closed" sign), the screens turn off after a couple minutes. Any insight on what is happening here and how I can fix it? Thanks in advance for your help. - John
- (2019-08-16, v:1.8) Alex Hernandez: How do I download it? No apparent option
No button or link to download
- (2019-08-12, v:1.8) Mark Stahl: Suggestion: add a sleep timer
Works great on my Chromebook, but if I If I forget to turn it off, the battery drains to zero. Please add a timer. For an example of similar apps that have a timer, see the Mac apps Caffeine and Amphetamine. Thanks.
- (2019-06-14, v:1.8) Taiz Hernandez: Issue with Sleeping
I have added the add on for Keep Awake and have also changed it to the sun so that it does not go to sleep. I am casting a desktop to a TV with Chromecast but the sleep images are still coming on the screen after a period of time. What do I need to do to fix this? Is it something that I need to correct on my television settings? Thank you
- (2019-06-14, v:1.8) Jean Martin: Keep awake
Bonjour, J'ai installé l'extension Keep Awake, et que je sois en mode coucher de soleil ou soleil, si je ferme l'écran, je perds la connexion internet. Cela ne fonctionne seulement si je laisse l'écran ouvert, mais je voudrai éviter le mode veille en fermant l'écran, comment faire?