This extension counts the number of characters and words of selected text on-the-fly.
This extension counts the number of characters, characters without spaces and words of selected text on the fly. All you have to do is to select the text and look at the icon to see the character count. You can see both count values by either right-clicking the selected text or by hovering the extension badge. You can also choose which type of count you want to see by default in the red square from extension options page. 1.0.9: Fixed word count bug. 1.0.8: Added non-space character count in context menu and on mouse hovering over extension icon, and option to set as default. 1.0.6: Added options page with option to change the badge default counter type. 1.0.5: Character and word count is available in context menu (right click). 1.0.4: A word count of the selected text also available, by hovering with the mouse over the extension icon. 1.0.1 - 1.0.3: Initial build.
- (2020-09-20) Matt Holmes: It works great! With some caveats. First, you must RESTART CHROME. It works on most sites (Amazon, Gmail, Google, YouTube, etc.) - but NOT on the Chrome Web Store. Google has the permissions on this site locked down. It also has trouble drilling down into a nested IFRAME, such as the Live Chat box on a YouTube live stream. An IFRAME is essentially a separate web page displayed in a box inside a parent page. I popped out the chat into its own window, and this extension was able to count the characters/words just fine. As for the actual functionality, a selected character count (including spaces) will appear on top of the extension's icon at the top of your browser. If you mouse over the icon, you'll see a count of the characters / characters without spaces, and words. If you right-click your selection, you'll see the same counts. Left-clicking the context menu item or the top bar icon does nothing. If you right-click the icon you can adjust its site permissions, and if you select Options you can pick which number you want to see over the icon (chars / chars without spaces / words). This is actually just what I've been looking for, since the old character count extension I used disappeared for some reason. 5 stars from me despite the issues mentioned above, because I'm overjoyed to find an extension that displays the live selected character count without having to do extra clicks or spamming me with advertising.
- (2020-03-18) Marek P: It works as it should. The people rating it one star don't know how to use it. The icon shows the number of characters but when you hover over the icon it shows the number of words and characters. Or you can highlight the text, right click on it and it'll show the number of characters and words. Very useful for SEO when writing titles and description. It works on all pages, it terms of improvement I wish it worked in WordPress edit mode when I edit a post, not a big deal as it works in preview mode. Thank you developer for taking the time to create and share this extension!
- (2019-10-01) Adam Nanji: Doesn't work on some websites - Using a mac :(
- (2019-08-15) Tai Cook: Tried all the tips suggested in reviews, nothing worked. Wish Google would just build this in to right clicks...
- (2019-07-30) Dragon Master: Works after Chrome restart.
- (2019-07-24) Константин Федюк: Не работает. Пробовал через меню и через панель - безрезультатно...
- (2019-07-12) Роман Тимохов: Не работает. Выделяешь текст, жмакаеш в меню на пиктограмму и тишина. Отстой.
- (2019-06-10) Pamela Keegan: Working great so far! Wish I had looked for an extension like this a long time ago!
- (2018-11-13) Sébastien DEGLIAME: Dont work anymore on Chrome 70... so bad
- (2018-06-19) Tonya Trembath: Makes my life easy!
- (2017-10-01) Anthony Profenno: Works on some sites not on others. Not sure why
- (2017-07-08) Anton Galinin: То что нужно, очень удобное расширение! Спасибо!
- (2017-06-28) Charles Benninghoff: Reviewers who say this does not work (for example one below says is doesn't work on BBC.Co.UK) are nuts. This app works 100% great. Just highlight, right click then look for app's logo and voila there is character, letter and word count. PERFECT.
- (2017-06-07) Miguel Caneiro MKTG: No funciona, no instalar
- (2017-04-18) Hilton Shumway: Does nothing.
- (2016-10-06) Katlyn Droke: Doesn't work
- (2016-06-02) Peter McAndrew: Doesn't work as other suggest
- (2016-06-02) Olee: Doesn't work at all
- (2016-03-23) Роман Липатов: Очень хорошо! Ничего лишнего, считает с пробелами, без пробелов и слова. Больше ничего не надо.
- (2016-02-02) Scott Hampton: Doesn't seem to work
- (2015-12-16) Юрий Гец: Все супер. Быстро считает кол-во символов без пробелов. Порой очень нужная штука для копирайтера-контенщика.
- (2015-03-12) Jared McMorris: Does not work.
- (2015-02-11) John McGarvey: Waste of time. Does nothing - I've followed the instructions and tried left- and right-clicking and hovering.
- (2015-02-05) Doesn't work. AT ALL.
- (2014-11-10) Владимир Казаков: Exelent! Very simple and useful - count on the fly. Отлично! Очень простой и полезный - считает на лету.
- (2018-08-01, v:1.0.9) David Kimont: no counting for Jira
Hello, I want to use your counter in Jira, but it does not work. Can you help? Thanks for your plugin, David
- (2017-04-03, v:1.0.9) Simon Olsen: Count characters in a form field
Is it possible to get a character count of a form field? This is where I REALLY need character count, particularly for SEO (keeping metadata entries below 155 characters, for example).
- (2016-06-14, v:1.0.9) Rafael Cabral: Não funciona.
Simples assim. Não funciona.
- (2015-02-08, v:1.0.9) Doug Shuck: Enabled but does not work.
Characters and words counter version 1.0.9 / Chrome Version 40.0.2214.94 m Within the last two days this Extension has stopped working. I briefly saw a popup window that said something about "permissions" needed to be refreshed or updated. However, that windows disappeared before I could see all of it and I have not seen it since. I have tried removing & reinstalling but no luck. All other Extensions loaded are still working and nothing new added.
- (2015-01-06, v:1.0.9) Barry Clement: Didn't work
Highlight text, then nothing. Right-click and select Word Count option, nothing. Highlight and click extension icon on Chrome, nothing...
- (2014-12-18, v:1.0.9) Didn't do anything
Didn't respond as described when text was selected. No change in icon, right click option did nothing.
- (2014-11-24, v:1.0.8) Jack Turnbull: Inaccurate word counts
I've noticed that the word count gives inaccurate results when more than one paragraph is highlighted. It seems to ignore the first word in each new paragraph.
- (2014-10-16, v:1.0.8) Mauro Bighin: Not working
I select a text on any website, click on the extension icon but nothing happens. It seems like the app is not working. Please let me know. regards
- (2014-03-07, v:1.0.6) Rich text field character count
Hi, I'm using a CMS called MODx Revolution, and in its rich text fields, I'm unable to use the counter from either the context menu that pops up (it's being controlled by the rich text editor) or from the counter on the Chrome toolbar (it stays at zero). Is there a way around this?
- (2014-01-07, v:1.0.6) Anton Tregubov: New option
Please add option "character count without spaces".