This extension will hopefully help you be less distracted
Experimental Anti-Distraction App. Alternative method compared to stayfocusd/coldturkey. Aimed at a long term goal of defeating poor browsing habits! Focused on delayed gratification and understanding the realistic need for 'distracting' sites. All feedback is welcome. Bugs/features =D. Shoutouts to: Roy Baumeister, Daniel Goleman, Kelly McGonigal for knowledge on self-control. v.0.3.4: typo v.0.3.3: - removed a message v.0.3.2: - merged pull request to fix "Bypassing Writing more than 1 phrase" byg v0.3.1 -bugfixes: -youtube embedded problems -oAuth redirect pages v0.3.0 -added a disable-able reason tracker -added an options page with few options -added edit options -fixed a few bugs v0.2.1.0 -second round of customization added: block current site by using the icon/popup block sites using the button on the main page. delete blocklisted sites edit blocklisted sites v0.2.0.0 -first round of customization: select your links. -in the works: blacklist/whitelist functionality More details at: https://github.com/qt31415926/cdad
- (2021-04-05) Gusts Mūrnieks: It really works! It is also great with the combination of an addon "Crackbook Revival". When you get passed one barrier, there is another.
- (2021-02-26) Kyle Kaiser: Hey, I love this extension but see it hasn't been updated in a long time. I have some ideas for how it could be improved and might be interested in buying it from you. If you'd like to learn more, let me know at [email protected] Thanks!
- (2020-12-19) Joshua Tay: This is great for staying focused on work! The only way to make it more perfect is to make it block entire domains like youtube.com/... instead of just the homepage of youtube.
- (2019-03-26) Hozaifa Bhutta: This extension is just fantastic. I used to have this a few months ago and it decreased my screen time by a large margin. However after I deleted it my screen time went soaring high again, So now I decided to just stick with this extension due to its amazing effectivness.
- (2018-08-22) Amar van Duijneveldt: options page doesnt work, making the extension kinda useless
- (2018-08-09) Michaelann Gardner: I've tried practically every site blocker, it feels like. Either they require me to exercise discipline in the moment (like Forest), which works sometimes but not foolproof,or they're so nuclear that I eventually end up uninstalling them (StayFocused, Blocksite, Cold Turkey). This one allows for the perfect balance of choice and control. I'M in the driver's seat and can make a different choice anytime I want, but I have a gentle reminder of who I really want to be. My only complaint? I want an app version for my phone! Also, can I donate to the upkeep of it?
- (2018-03-18) chagam kamalakar: loved it .. one small suggestion instead of block list ... how it would be if only whitelisted? so rest are blocked with descent customized/personalized message.
- (2017-12-06) Kimball Robinson: LOVED the concept. Used it a ton. But lately noticed that youtube vidoes embedded in other sites are broken (embedded iframes). Sadly, I can't block anything youtube-related with this extension, but I continue using it for other sites. I block youtube with another mindfulness extension. It would help if this extension also reminded me when I had spent too much time on a site, like the "stop autopilot" extension. Right now I have to maintain my list of bad sites on two extensions instead of just one. And there's no way to mass import/export these lists of sites.
- (2017-09-04) Marcus Ritosa: Thank you for putting this extension together. It gives me a better control about mindfully preventing rabbit holes when I have 30 extra seconds. Love the reason tracking! Self-reflection is important!
- (2017-03-17) Thomas Ragsac: I love this extension. The only thing I would do is add a whitelist function to certain videos or sub links
- (2017-01-21) Jingyao Zhang: I've been wasting much less time on the internet since installing this extension! Thank you so much for making this most excellent thing. Is it possible to have a "whitelist" function (i.e. block all websites except those on the list)? That's the only thing I can think of to make this more perfect.
- (2016-11-25) Thos Thorogood: No1 site blocker by far!
- (2016-10-18) Keyur Shah: This app is quite better than blocking sites out completely. Love that it just slows you down a little bit. It's made me change my habit as I just mindlessly type in some sites when I have a slight pause in my work.
- (2016-04-19) Ivan Terekhov: this is a great extension, much more effective for me than stayfocusd
- (2016-02-03) Michael C: Good stuff github page is here https://github.com/qt31415926/mad
- (2015-10-19) Dante Fox: Working great so far. There are better options, But I love the way it redirects you to a page to pick from a few links.
- (2015-09-20) Derek Whatley: Exactly what I was looking for. I was going to write my own app to do this but you've already done it!
- (2015-07-29) William: Really loved it :) I hope there is some kind of challenge for those who wish to remove a site from blacklist :)
- (2015-06-24) Leyna Cameron: My girlfriend and I both love this extension. I wish that we could set active hours and white/black lists, but I see that the latter is in the works. Good job!
- (2015-05-21) Para el poco tiempo que tiene la aplicación es útil. Ya viene poder colocar imágenes. Y quizás configurar los días que esté activo y que días no.
- (2015-04-16) Ruth Grace Wong: I used to have this problem where links clicked on Facebook would open in a new tab and always be blocked, but I brought this up to the developer, and he fixed it right away! No complaints now. Customization of the blacklist has also been added.
- (2015-04-09) Jameel Jiwani: Let us customize blacklist!!
- (2021-04-29, v:0.3.4) Atkin Smedley: YouTube
Hey, not sure if you are still maintaining this tool, but first I want to say, "What a great tool!" I have tried other blockers, and this is by far the best. Thank you! I do want to report an issue I've run into where for YouTube the page will not load after entering the verification phrases. It moves on from MAD to the YouTube page, but the page remains blank, even upon reloading. Only disabling MAD or removing YouTube from the block list fixes the problem. It's sad because I'd like to block YouTube, but still be able to use it. I would appreciate a fix so I can keep using your tool for YouTube! That's a big distraction point for me, but a very useful tool as well, so being able to block it would be really grand.
- (2018-11-19, v:0.3.4) Cesar Calzada: Is there any way to set it off?
Hello I have been using it and I love it. One thing that I do not understand is: how am I able to turn off the blocking after I've finished my work without disabling the extension completely from chrome? Is it possible? Thank you.
- (2018-02-01, v:0.3.4) Kelly Lang: delete
I want to delete this program
- (2018-01-05, v:0.3.4) Kimball Robinson: Exception
The error I get every day or more is this: This extension failed to redirect a network request to chrome-extension://fobapabjknmdghbgnghnpoadiffhijao/background.html because another extension (HTTPS Everywhere) redirected it to https://www.facebook.com/...
- (2017-12-06, v:0.3.4) Kimball Robinson: Add custom phrases
I would like to add custom phrases to have to enter, and have more variety.
- (2017-12-06, v:0.3.4) Kimball Robinson: Focus mode/Ask about every site...
Sometimes I want to go into a focus mode, where I am prompted about any unknown sites (think of it as a whitelist mode). I would like MAD to ask if it's a distracting website (not text entry, just a button), just for the sake of mindfulness...
- (2017-12-04, v:0.3.4) Kimball Robinson: Show URL I'm blocked from
Sometimes after a browser restart or a long period I am not sure what page is even being blocked. It would be VERY helpful to show the URL that is being blocked.
- (2017-09-26, v:0.3.4) Kimball Robinson: Breaks youtube iframes!
I added youtube to MAD. When I try to watch videos on other sites (like facebook and google plus), they seem just plain broken with no explanation. When I disable MAD, the linked youtube videos start working again. MAD needs to take IFRAMEs into special account.
- (2017-06-17, v:0.3.4) Matt Roberts: Embedded videos/websites
This app blocks embedded sites - for example, it blocks YouTube videos on the Google Play store, and there is no way to unblock these videos without disabling the extension. I'd like to be able to do a challenge to unblock these embedded videos.
- (2017-02-25, v:0.3.2) Raizal I.N. Pregnanta: Add disable options or active time please
Could be better if it has disable option or active time option. I can't relax with this extension enabled in my free time
- (2017-02-04, v:0.3.2) Mark Briffa: whitelist
it would be nice if there were an option to block everything by default and have a white-list.