Tools that make life as a Slack emoji addict a little easier.
Ever wanted to upload 100 emoji to slack in one fell swoop? Now you can. 1. Install this extension 2. Go to your Slack's /customize/emoji page 3. Drag and drop your emoji image files into the new "Bulk Emoji Uploader". Make sure that the image files are named what you want the emoji name to be ("ditto.gif" will become ":ditto:"). 4. You've now got a whole lotta emoji!
- (2023-03-18) Mesmaeker (Mesmaeker): If there was to be only one chrome extension, this would be the one.
- (2023-03-07) Kamil Pajdzik: Does one thing and does it really well
- (2023-02-14) David Melvin: works well!
- (2022-09-12) P. Zeb Griffin: Perfect. Exactly as advertised. I used it to uploade 1290 custom emojis to a workspace. No problems.
- (2022-08-31) Svetlana Nelson: still works (shows up as long as you have at least one custom emoji in there) love the error handling, nice touch!
- (2022-06-10) 열라많이고쳐(fixalot): Cool
- (2022-04-29) Shia Liu: This is the first chrome extension I download (lol probably after ad blocker) whenever I get a new laptop. Works like magic!
- (2022-04-22) Platinum X: Still works! Make sure you have at least one custom emoji added or else the window will not show. Cheers to the creators <3
- (2022-03-31) Sergio Najera: Absolutely beautiful and absolutely fantastic!! What a time saver.
- (2022-03-31) Shuuji TAKAHASHI (shuuji3): Very helpful extension for all who add new emojis frequently or register a lot of emojis at once. I really recommend this extension! 🙂
- (2021-11-23) Lawrence Chan: Rate limiting workaround: https://developer.chrome.com/docs/devtools/network/#throttle Throttle your connection to a custom rate (I'm using 250/50/300) and it slows the requests down enough to (mostly) avoid the limiting. Much easier to be patient rather than figure out which emojis didn't get uploaded.
- (2021-07-22) David Celis: Surprisingly still works! Something to note, though, is that Slack rate limits emoji creation… This extension doesn't seem to detect when it's happening. So if you drag and drop too many emoji into the interface, the extension will report them all as having been uploaded, even if many of them were _not_ actually uploaded due to rate limits. I'd recommend dragging and dropping in small batches.
- (2021-06-02) Raynor Kuang: Good extension, but has trouble with rate limiting from Slack, where it'll silently fail if Slack rate limits you and report "Succesfully uploaded" even if it totally wasn't. A good fix seems to be to detect the upload time -- Slack basically gives an insta-response if it's just silently failing, so an abnormally quick upload for a file is probably a good sign that it didn't actually upload.
- (2021-05-20) Jen McVicker: If it's not working for you on Chrome, try it on Firefox. The Chrome extension worked for me about a year ago, but when I just installed it on my new mac, it didn't work. Tried it on Firefox and BAM! Bulk uploader is there!
- (2021-05-06) Griffen Fargo: Careful uploading massive amounts of files via this extension. It seems if you add more than ~25 files at a time the Slack API will start rate limiting the requests causing the rest of the uploads to silently fail despite claiming "upload complete" I have around ~700 custom emojis to add to a new Slack and after dropping all of them into the extension only 125 were successfully uploaded. Go slow and steady to avoid rate limiting.
- (2021-04-30) Felix Mann: Easy and straight-forward! Does exactly what it says on the tin :D. The best part is: if one of the emoji conflicts, it will still proceed with all the others.
- (2020-10-24) Francesco Visin: IMPORTANT: You need at least one custom icon installed, for the "bulk emoji uploader" section to appear! It took me ages to figure this out. It should be fixed, or made explicit at least.
- (2020-08-31) Jacob Shavlik: Works great! Weird bug where the extension doesn't appear in-page unless you have already at least one custom emoji already added.
- (2020-08-21) Jeffrey Placencia: Worked wonderfully. Now in this odd WFH era I have so many new ways to communicate to my co-workers... now should I use the :elmo-fire: or :this-is-fine: when people ask me how I'm doing?
- (2020-08-20) Nathan Leiby: Worked perfectly!
- (2020-08-20) Rory Kiefer: Does the trick. Very quickly.
- (2020-08-07) I used this back in May and it worked great, but now it doesn't seem to work. Such a useful tool though, really hope this get's fixed 🙏🏼
- (2020-07-31) Andrew Rich: This is wonderful and works perfectly. Thank you.
- (2020-03-21) Ali Bagheri: If this isn't working for you - make sure it's enabled in chrome, then upload a single emoji the manual way in Slack/Customize, then the multi-upload should show up after that first upload.
- (2020-03-19) Treavor Wagoner: Thank you so much. 🙏🏾
- (2020-03-14) Joseph Henrich: Works great. You need to have at least one emoji for it to actually add the box to drag and drop.
- (2020-03-06) Mark Davis: Worked very well. Don't get greedy, do 25 at a time.
- (2020-02-10) Matthew Roy: Currently does not work, there is no change to the slack emoji page with this extension and so no way to bulk upload.
- (2020-01-25) Bri Jean: Does not work.
- (2019-11-08) Mathieu Doyon: Save plenty of time when you have to create bulk slack emoji.
- (2019-08-27) When it works, it seems to succeed, but I keep running into "Error: Unsuccessful HTTP response" errors, which the console shows as due to "Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 429 ()." Error code 429 is the "Too Many Requests" error. In other words, I'm getting rate limited. This is also happening after only a few dozen successful image uploads. Is there any way to pause or slow down in between uploads to not run into this issue?
- (2019-06-22) Kyle Florence: This is a much needed extension. Unfortunately, slack is throttling requests so after about 20 uploads all the rest fail... then you have to wait, and try again. Please add request throttling so they can slowly upload over time without manual intervention. Thanks!
- (2019-05-09) Michael Wells: I guess it's OK. I can't upload in bulk from a website, I still have to download each emoji individually, so it's not much different than what's built into Slack. Oh, and it would be nice to add in the directions that you have to install a single emoji using the Slack interface FIRST, because it didn't work until I did that, but I had to read the reviews to get this little tip.
- (2019-04-09) Ivan Loreto: Clean and performs as advertised. Nice use of AJAX progress bar and quick page refreshing! Kudos!
- (2019-04-02) K E: It seems not working as slack UI has been changed?
- (2019-03-16) Colin Childs: Mostly works but I'm getting rate limited, which means I have to drag them over one by one every few seconds, completely defeating the purpose of this extension. Should either have default rate limiting, or allow us to set it as an option!
- (2019-03-08) Lucas_Fofo: COMO COLOCA? OS EMOJIS
- (2019-03-07) Douglas Nassif Roma Junior: I'm receiving an error: 'invalid_auth'. Tried to re-authenticate, but not worked.
- (2018-10-26) Thomas G Henry: Does less than nothing.
- (2018-09-02) Chaim Eliyah: Does exactly what it says it does! Just one little thing, you have to first add an emoji with the original Slack interface (if it's a new workspace) otherwise the new UI doesn't come up.
- (2018-08-24) Ryan Metcalf: This is great. I want to echo the comment from "Josh", who said Slack changed the emoji tab for customization. You may want to look at modifying the extension to work with the latest website! This tool was great otherwise.
- (2018-08-23) Josh: Wonderful tool, use it daily! Noticed that Slack recently changed their Emoji upload interface and this extension no longer works - any plans to update? Thanks for a fantastic utility!
- (2018-08-01) Chad Hamre: Thank you for building this!
- (2018-04-04) John Williamson: It made it a complete breeze to add hundreds of emojis to a slack I didn't have API access to. Thanks!
- (2018-03-13) Lee Fuhr: If only there was an option to auto-increment filenames (or something) for those that are named something you already have. So many packs have, like, heart.gif or whatever.
- (2018-01-16) Turadg Aleahmad: Works as advertised. Good feedback on the bulk job. Skips if the org already has an emoji under that name.
- (2017-11-15) Jason Conklin: so simple! saved a ton of time!
- (2017-09-26) Илья: Отлично, все работает быстро и без проблем! Awesome tool, easy and fast!
- (2017-09-11) Akhilesh Yarabarla: Works as you would expect and looks nice. :thumbsup:
- (2017-08-29) Erik Wiberg: Perfect!
- (2023-01-12, v:3.3.0) Kevin May: Gov Slack Support
Please add site access for: slack-gov.com Thanks!
- (2022-12-21, v:3.3.0) Jeremy Tudisco: Adds went wrong--string got filled out wrong?
Having never used the plugin before, I tried it today, and it seemed to duplicate the text in a weird way: "my-emoji.png" seemed to get entered as ":my-emoji::my-emoji:". I can't see the entry in the list of emojis, and when I try to use it, auto-suggest shows the doubled up version, and a <?> icon. When I use it, it just gets inserted as :my-emoji:. Weird!
- (2022-03-28, v:3.2.0) Matthew Wo: No uploader when "There aren’t any custom emoji in your workspace yet"
The uploader is not showing when there are no emojis in my workspace I need to upload at least 1 custom emoji before the uploader will show.
- (2021-05-12, v:3.2.0) S W: Doesn't Handle API Limit Errors
The UI indicates an emoji was successfully uploaded, but it does not take into account when the Slack REST API returns a 429 (API limit exceeded).
- (2021-04-19, v:3.0.1) Mark D: Please add a cooldown / sleep to avoid 429s
I want to upload a lot of emojis and end up getting a 429 too many requests from slack, could you add a configurable sleep/ cooldown to wait when you get a 429 please?
- (2021-01-19, v:3.0.1) Ralph Samuel: Rate limiting on upload
I think it would make sense to throttle your uploads since we start getting rate limited after about 25 or 50 uploads...
- (2020-10-22, v:3.0.1) Diana Smith Flores: No longer working?
As of a day or two ago I noticed the extension is no longer activating on any of my workspaces. Not sure if slack recently made an update to render this incompatible?
- (2020-08-19, v:3.0.1) Mitch Troy: Tool errors when I try to upload more than 10 or so emoji at a time
When I try to upload more than a few emoji at a time it shows for each emoji <Error: Unsuccessful HTTP response>
- (2020-04-28, v:3.0.1) Luke Wilson: Not showing when no custom emojis added
Repro steps: 1. Navigate to the Customize Your Workspace page for a workspace with no custom emojis 2. Select the Emoji tab - Expected: the bulk importer shows - Actual: the bulk importer doesn't show 3. Import an emoji manually - Observe that the bulk importer is now visible
- (2020-03-04, v:3.0.1) Brian M: No worky
:sad-panda: no worky.. slack hates bulk uploading apparently.
- (2020-01-31, v:3.0.1) Mike Stapp: No longer works
The extension is active but the bulk upload UI doesnt populate any longer. It was working last week but as of today it no longer populates with Chrome Version 79.0.3945.130.
- (2019-10-20, v:3.0.1) Kevin Liang: I get this error when I try to bulk upload <Error: Unsuccessful HTTP response>
I get this error when I try to use the bulk uploader. I'm wondering if this is because I have uploaded too many in too short of a time spam. I have a script that scrapes many png/jpg/gif files for me and I just drag and drop it into the bulk uploader. Some of them work but some don't and produce this error. Once one of the one's produce this error in a single bulk upload, the rest all fail with the same error. Was just wondering if this is a bug or if this is a limitation with the extension. Thanks!
- (2019-10-15, v:3.0.1) Nicholas Fielding: If you don't already have a custom emoji uploaded, you won't see the bulk uploader tool.
Have the bulk uploader appear even if no emojis have been uploaded (or mention it in documentation)
- (2019-10-11, v:3.0.1) Avishalom Shalit: it works on some spaces, not on others not sure why
i thought it was the dash in the name, but changing the name and url didn't help. it works on other spaces.
- (2019-10-01, v:3.0.1) Error: Unsuccessful HTTP response
Most bulk uploads fail.
- (2019-04-09, v:3.0.1) Ivan Loreto: Upload Delay Option
When uploading large set of emojii, it would be nice to have a throttle setting to slow down the upload so the slack server don't complain with so much :bangbang: !! Thanks for the great tool!
- (2019-03-22, v:3.0.1) Cody Swartz: Alias Naming Convention
I would love to actually alias emojis rather than duplicate them. If there could be a naming convention it could surely do this I think :) Ideally you would want/need to upload alias after the original has been uploaded; this may have to be manually done on a user's part. Is this extension open source? I would love to help :)
- (2019-03-15, v:3.0.1) Error when uploading
I keep getting the error: error_bad_name_i18n when I try to upload. What is the cause?
- (2019-03-08, v:3.0.0) Error when uploading
I keep getting the error: invalid_auth when I try to upload. Will you please fix that issue?
- (2019-03-07, v:3.0.0) How do I fix the invalid auth message when I attempt to do bulk uploads?
I'm getting a message that says "invalid auth" next to each emoji I try to bulk upload. How can this be fixed?
- (2019-03-07, v:3.0.0) Benjamin de Jager: invalid auth
just says invalud auth