Use this extension to add subtitles available to user to any YouTube video
SubtitlesForYoutube =================== This extension lets you add subtitles to any video you are watching on YouTube. Just drag and drop .SRT file or zipped .SRT file for your movie on to the upload-box and the subtitles will start showing up. The extension also supports searching and using subtitles directly from OpenSubtitles.org and Amara.org right from the YouTube video page. Now you can search in ALL LANGUAGES. Note there are only 5-10% videos on YouTube which have corresponding subtitle in OpenSubtitles.org and Amara.org so you might not be able to search and find subtitles for all videos. One example of video with searchable subs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qF_qbaWt3Q [Music video - Waiting For The End (Official Video) - Linkin Park] Note: If you already had opened a YouTube page before installing the extension you will not see extension load on that page. Just refresh the page once after installation is complete. Keyboard Shortcuts: 'V' - Enable/Disable subtitles 'G' - Precede subtitles relative to video 'H' - Delay subtitles relative to video 'Q' - Decrease subtitles size 'W' - Increase subtitles size 'O' - Move subtitles up 'P' - Move subtitles down Do not forget to rate and review the app once you use it. If you like the extension and want to help me build/improve it even further, then please do consider donating Ethereum at 0x34A3c6f483858f2440b983CFcD3F5Aa9c9FE13b8 Also do visit http://www.diycaptions.com/ which makes it very easy to create captions for YouTube videos. Github Repo: https://github.com/yashagarwal1411/SubtitlesForYoutube Developers: Yash Agarwal ([email protected]), Nitin R Gupta ([email protected]) ------------ Changelog ------------ v 9.9.22 Fixed Amara API breaking due to expired api keys v 9.5.16 Fixed extension not working after YouTube UI changes v 9.3.10 Added shortcuts (O, P) to move subtitles up and down v 8.7.03 + Dark theme support added by https://github.com/SilkyFowl v 8.3.06 + Fixed Amara integration after API contract change v 8.2.21 + Adding support for Delaying subtitles from UI
- (2022-11-24) J I: Es inutil. En youtube no hay peliculas, solo videos de la comunidad o alguno que otro un poco mas largo, entonces los subtitulos no existen. Al buscar la opcion en el menu inferior siempre dice que no ha encontrado nada, obvio, si mi primo sube un video hablando ingles por 20 minutos, por qué alguien se tomaría el trabajo de crear los subtítulos a algo tan privado. Mejor es la extension para Netflix porque ahi sí hay subtitulos ya cargados de muchas peliculas y series CONOCIDAS y puedes ver mucho contenido con los subtitulos en ingles y castellano a la vez para que puedas aprender ingles. En youtube, los subtitulos propios de la aplicacion son suficiente.
- (2022-10-08) Ahmad Bilal: You're a life saver Yash. The people here complaining about subtitles not being found, that is not what this extension is meant to do. Find subtitles from opensubtitles and use this ext to apply them. Also, I was wondering if it is possible to create a webapp that embeds youtube videos and does the same thing on the web.
- (2022-10-02) TiMERS: usless
- (2022-09-20) nathanist: the characters ãáâéêóõí are not supported
- (2022-08-09) OPULENCIA, Keith David M.: It doesn't work on the get-go. If you're planning to use this on a not popular video, then it's not worth it, as it relies on already-existing subtitles out there. If there are none, it just isn't going to work. The description also sounds a bit vague and quite misleading for me.
- (2022-08-04) Mustafa Yıldırım: it is not working now
- (2022-07-19) Ale :D: I spent a long time translating subtitles but i cannot publish them cuz there isn't a add button or anything like that. Please fix.
- (2022-05-22) No One: I can use subtitles with a video, but I'm not able to share them so that others can use them. They don't show up in the search. Maybe because of Japanese file name? But I changed the filename to English and it still doesn't show up in search. I don't know. Still a good extension for adding downloaded subtitles to a video.
- (2022-05-16) Alfar0nt: did this extension already not working on edge or it's just me?
- (2022-05-14) Hysen Ch: it is not working now. I have been using this plug-in for two years, but it doesn't work recently.
- (2022-05-06) AgeTheMage _: It worked when I first got it and now it isn't working at all, the bar doesn't even come up to upload subtitles
- (2022-04-25) 김하나: It's not working!! I could'nt find "Add" butten. Please fix this.
- (2022-04-24) Sergen Aykuş: Doesn't work.
- (2022-04-23) Kamil Przygodzki: It currently doesn't work - SUBTITLES button under a YT video doesn't do anything
- (2022-01-27) Ginny Nelson: Doesnt work. Tried several different videos and no subtitles for any of them.
- (2022-01-14) Lukas Filip: Works perfectly as necessary when uploading an .srt file
- (2021-12-07) Aiman Jain: It was helpful! At first It did not work as I had the youtube video opened before I installed but then I refreshed the page and it worked, thanks!
- (2021-11-30) I K: Great idea, but when I select the srt file to upload, it doesn't upload - no error message either.
- (2021-11-14) Martu Sky: No me deja usarla, siempre me aparece como inactiva
- (2021-11-08) Robel Begashaw: thanks it is great.
- (2021-10-27) SS: I love this extension. I started watching a Turkish series on YT but the channel disabled auto-translate subtitles, so this has been a lifesaver. Although the database it uses to search for subtitles doesn't have any of the titles I watch, I can easily find an .srt file elsewhere from other subtitle websites, and upload it. It integrates seamlessly into YT as well, it looks like it's actually part of the website. The developers have done a great job on this.
- (2021-10-05) Jhon: Buena extensión y si funciona pero podrían agregar la opción de cuanto delay(ms) exactamente podemos aumentar o disminuir por favor. Good extension and if it works but could you add the option of how much delay (ms) exactly we can increase or decrease please.
- (2021-09-30) 王志詳: Excellent.
- (2021-09-13) Zaynah N: its good, but captions aren't available to half the videos i watch :(
- (2021-08-04) NIAN RAMBØ YT: Bro whenever i try to get subtitles under the search there is no subtitles available it keeps saying so, i can't neither upload or see if works.If Anyone what happened if can be fixed then tell me what to do
- (2021-07-13) Mr. Lance E Sloan: It works fairly well. However, one big downside is that clicking on the video no longer toggles pause and play. To pause or play, you must either click on the little pause/play icon in the lower left corner of the video or press the spacebar. My impression is that the captions are shown in a transparent layer over the video, so when clicking on the video I'm actually clicking on the captions layer. It would be nice if that could be handled better. I was happy to see that this extension is compatible with the "Video Speed Controller" (VSC) extension (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/video-speed-controller/nffaoalbilbmmfgbnbgppjihopabppdk). Some of the shortcut keys conflicted, though. Fortunately, VSC allows its shortcuts to be configured. I wish "Subtitles For YouTube" allowed configuring shortcut keys!
- (2021-07-03) J G L: It doesn't seem to be working for YouTube anymore? I can't find the interface when I open YT on my Desktop.
- (2021-05-29) Sherif Aliti: No subtitles found on YouTube...
- (2021-05-22) Paolo Di Bello: Honestly there aren't many subtitles
- (2021-05-07) Onyx Solace: I applaud you for your great work in making this extension, you're a community pillar. I'm running into an issue, and I created the issue ticket on github could you please take a look? I uploaded an srt file to this video, but it's not showing up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRsiBhhH0rc&ab_channel=ABO-SLLO
- (2021-04-25) Sunil Singh: doesnotwork,when i searcheditkeepssayingtheresaprolem
- (2021-04-20) Magic Fibre: So far it's working great! I love the feature of shifting the subs timing if they don't exactly match the video. It would be nice to be able to change the background color of the subtitles box though, because it's sometimes barely visible on bright backgrounds.
- (2021-04-09) Yosi C.: Muy buena me ayudo a ver capítulos que no tenían subtítulos en español <3
- (2021-03-30) RickyDecode: It only displays the captions on very few videos. I was expecting this extensions to be like how Chrome's live captions work but with more languages then English. Disappointed.
- (2021-03-09) Ibrahim Ahmad: Hi Yash is there any way to DL video with extension youtube subtitle? i tried to DL spanish video but there is no english subtitle.
- (2021-03-05) Elisa Lópëz: ALGUIEN QUE ME ENSEÑE A USARLA SE LO VOY A AGRADECER MUCHO
- (2021-02-25) Maria Fletcher: It worked once.... then I tried to watch the same thing the next day and it was no longer working. Kept saying "Uh Oh looks like there are no subtitles" even though the day before there were subtitles.
- (2020-12-02) Jade Balyeku: Does this work while watching live streams if it does its not working for me :(
- (2020-11-28) Wei Shan Lee: Accurate, no lag.
- (2020-11-07) gianna :D: it really doesn't work well. searching up subtitles doesnt work and theres no other way for me to watch what i want to on yt-
- (2020-10-10) AL Weni: sangat membanty
- (2020-10-02) Michał: It's must have :D
- (2020-09-03) CD N: Not working! English song, still no subtitle. Terrible. Clicked on Chrome extension and it's just RED/ It does nothing. Just downloaded too.
- (2020-08-22) Sophie _Sandall: it wasnt wornking i was trying to watch anime and it was in Japanese so i got this and it did nothing
- (2020-08-14) it transalates all the languages and it shows english subtitle all languages arabic tamil english hindi
- (2020-08-10) padigapati srikanthreddy: nice
- (2020-07-10) Stewart L: I have no idea how this works because it's somehow adding subtitles to some videos that don't have subtitles included (usually short scenes from American Movies posted on youtube), it's impressive.
- (2020-04-14) Ibrahim Rasheed: works like a dream, specially for foreign language movies. Thanks a lot for the brilliant idea on internet.
- (2020-04-03) Nimish Sarin: hey yash, great work! it used to work perfectly fine for me but suddenly even though i have it installed, the UI for the subtitles doesn't show up anymore. Tried reinstalling it but to no avail. Please help.
- (2020-03-31) Enrique Godina: como se usa ayuda
- (2022-06-13, v:9.5.16) Theo Long: background color too light
background color too light, so the white subtitle is barely visible. Why not adjustable color fot both?
- (2022-05-15, v:9.3.10) m.nageh: IT'S BROKEN
- (2022-05-05, v:9.3.10) Milo De Nadai: Extension broken
The extension doesn't work anymore, clicking the "subtitles" button no longer does anything. It's a shame since there are no other extensions that actually work for this purpose.
- (2022-04-25, v:9.3.10) María José Simón: No se me activa la opción
Hace unas semanas me descargué la extensión y funcionaba, pero ahora no se me activa cuando estoy en Youtube, aparece el botón pero no es clickable. La he desinstalado y vuelta a instalar pero sigue sin funcionar.
- (2022-04-24, v:9.3.10) Sergen Aykuş: Youtube subtitles upload doesnt work.
Last 1 month doesnt work.
- (2022-04-22, v:9.3.10) Agus Jamaludin: not working
not working when interface on youtube
- (2022-04-22, v:9.3.10) Afif Maulana: tidak muncul menu pilihan untuk upload subtitle
tidak bisa mengupload subtitle
- (2022-04-22, v:9.3.10) NSawit FCPO Indicator: Not working
All of a sudden it wont show the subtitle menu like it was not loaded. The icon was there but no menu.
- (2022-04-20, v:9.3.10) Sultan Muzaffar: tidak berfungsi
kenapa tidak bisa menambahkan subtitle
- (2022-01-03, v:8.7.03) Ivan Dolcic: Faster Delay Adjustment
Add an option to increase/decrease the delay faster. If a delay of few minutes or more is needed, it takes a long to time to adjust by pressing G/H. For example, increase/decrease the delay by seconds or minutes too, input custom delay or something similar.
- (2021-12-30, v:8.7.03) Yash Agarwal: Showing your support !!
A few folks who liked the extension have showed interest in donating a small amount to show their support. So I am sharing my Eth wallet - 0x34A3c6f483858f2440b983CFcD3F5Aa9c9FE13b8 In case you liked the extension and want to show your love and support, then you can donate a very small amount at my Eth wallet above. Do share your name and email with me in case you donate as I can thank you personally. Also the extension will always be free and I will keep on working to improve it further with your feedback and suggestions.
- (2021-11-30, v:8.7.03) I K: Upload doesn't work
Great idea, but when I select the srt file to upload, it doesn't upload - there is no error message either. What could be the problem?
- (2021-10-27, v:8.7.03) SS: Add ability to change subtitles style
Add the ability to change the subtitles style - e.g. colour, background colour, formatting (bold, italic, etc). Some people have problems reading white subtitles, it is not accessible for everyone.
- (2021-09-21, v:8.7.03) Ivan Dolcic: Subtitle delay bug
It seems like there is a bug with the delay option since some of the last few updates. When using the delay to synchronize the subtitles, after some time the subtitles get desynchronized. Then the delay needs to be increased/decreased more, but the subtitles get desynchronized all the time.
- (2021-09-21, v:8.7.03) Rubina Ujkaj: subtitles not displaying
i added the srt file, but the subs are not showing. what should i do?
- (2021-06-29, v:8.3.06) Ivan Dolcic: Recently stopped working
Seems like it does not work anymore. The whole UI is missing. Tried reloading the page and on different videos.
- (2021-06-21, v:8.3.06) Alberto Rotili: It doesn't work.
The app can't display my subtitles.
- (2021-05-20, v:8.3.06) Bruno Navarro: No detecting subtitles when clicking on SEARCH...
Thanks to help...
- (2021-05-17, v:8.3.06) Bob Styles: Chinese translation into English
Understanding recreational Chinese being spoken to me and others
- (2021-05-17, v:8.3.06) Bob Styles: I need translations from youtube Chinese (in Taiwan) into English (US)
I need translations from youtube Chinese (in Taiwan) into English (US)
- (2021-05-02, v:8.3.06) sarthak singla: Do you have any tutorial for using it?
Please provide me any tutorial for using this extension?
- (2021-03-20, v:8.3.06) 호아포: 자막 색상 변경기능을 추가해주세요
색깔 흰색 하나뿐이라 어떤 영상은 보기가 너무 힘듭니다 글자 색상변경기능을 추가해주세요
- (2021-02-27, v:8.2.21) Yash Agarwal: Extension is not able to search for subtitles
Looks like a recent update from Amara has broken the Amara API which the extension relied on to fetch subtitles. I am actively working on resolving this issue. Should take a couple of days. Will let you guys know once the update is published.
- (2020-10-18, v:7.6.24) Galit Levi: subtitels are not working
I watched movies and series with subs with the help of thisextention, but now Subtitle drop panel not showing.
- (2020-10-15, v:7.6.24) J K: please add dark mode support
It doesn't look good with youtube dark mode
- (2020-08-07, v:7.6.24) Ritu Jhalani: problem
subtitles not displaying
- (2020-06-21, v:7.4.02) Abhishek Agarwal: Extension request
Please make an extension that allows us to add subtitles on a local video playing on chrome. I ask this specifically because I was trying to cast local content to my chromecast using chrome browser. But, the chrome browser does not support subtitles added onto the video
- (2020-05-21, v:7.4.02) Miss Marius: Different plataform
Hi there, I wonder if I can install the extension on Apple? Do I can load my videos on Iphone or Ipad with subs? Thanks, I appreciate it.
- (2020-05-15, v:7.4.02) Niqabi Chef: subtitles for youtube
please. can you explain the way of using this extension with my videos
- (2020-04-13, v:7.4.02) JJ PETERSON: No search results.
Extension not returning search results.
- (2020-04-07, v:7.4.02) Cheryl Chen: Drop down menu not appearing
I'm not seeing the extension anymore in my browser when I go to youtube videos.
- (2020-04-04, v:6.3.31) Aravind Ghosh: Subtitle drop panel not showing now
Previously i watched movies with subs with the help of thisextention, but now Subtitle drop panel not showing.
- (2020-04-01, v:6.3.31) Reem Orabi: not work
do not work it appear back page not active in details for add
- (2020-03-31, v:6.3.31) Yash Agarwal: YouTube UI not showing subtitle search options
This is because of recent update to YouTube page which broke the extension. I am working on fixing this. Will let you guys know once the new version is released. Thanks.
- (2020-01-17, v:6.3.31) ori noco: Alert user when they apply malformatted srt file
right now it silently fails which could be confusing especially if you're trying the extension for the first time
- (2020-01-17, v:6.3.31) ori noco: Can't click on video to pause or unpause after applying subtitles with this extension
- (2020-01-15, v:6.3.31) Lori Rutt: Can't Drag and Drop File
This does not work for me - I am using an IBM clone. I can't drag and drop the extension, and don't know where to find the file on my system to upload it.
- (2019-11-02, v:6.3.31) KainSubs BLUR: Opacity
Is there a way to make the background darker? I have a video that is subtitled in Thai but it's hard to read the overlaid English Subtitles of this plugin.
- (2019-08-21, v:6.3.31) الكورة مع بوكش: البرنامج لايدعم بالعربية
البرنامج لايترجم فديوهات اليوتيوب بالعربية
- (2019-06-05, v:6.3.31) Spiros Doikas: In order to continue OpenSubtitlessubtitles service you need to Log In
This is what I get in youtube videos today In order to continue OpenSubtitlessubtitles service you need to Log In Who needs to log in and where?
- (2019-04-03, v:6.3.31) Nadir Whitelaw: Issue displaying subtitles
Hi. I downloaded a .srt file which is encoded with chinese characters. Opened it in notepad and it looks fine, when trying to load it into your plugin it does not show the characters, is this an issue with the plugin or my machine?
- (2019-01-15, v:6.1.14) No arabic subtitle
Hello, i cant find any arabic subtitle on my mac chrome. The keyboard is grey
- (2018-12-21, v:5.8.6) hello
- (2018-12-20, v:5.8.6) Frederic Spycher: YouTube interface update
Today, a new interface was rolled out (at least for some users) and the extension is not visible anymore.
- (2018-09-14, v:5.8.6) YeeeHaaa 111: Extention not working on Max OS
Hello, This extension is not working on latest version of chrome on MacOS while it is working on latest version of chrome on Windows.
- (2018-09-07, v:5.8.6) Rodolfo Loya Muela: cant sync
subs load but cant delay them at all
- (2018-09-02, v:5.8.6) Ven Wilson: no subtitles?
There's nowhere to enable or search for or upload the subtitles.