Dictate messages in Gmail™. Why type, when you can speak?
NEW & IMPROVED VERSION! Open a new message (or reply to an existing one), click the Microphone icon located to the right of the Send button. Dictate your message in any of the supported 60 languages! --- Do you have feedback? Please leave a comment here, or reach out to us directly: [email protected]
- (2021-03-29) Bill Moran: Not a very effective dictation program. Very poor compared to Dragon Naturally. Constantly showing error messages. Often simply no response to voice dictation. Lots of bugs. Needs continued development.
- (2021-03-28) Elizabeth Ludwig-Borycz: Hello, This tool is a great idea! I am able to get the microphone icon on my email but it wont dictate what I say when I click it. Can you fix this?
- (2021-03-12) Arjun Amar: This is helping me, but it will not pick up when I ask for a comma - it just keeps writing karma, I have tried changing my accent! but still won't work.... Also it is not capitalizing the first word of new sentences.
- (2021-03-02) Stores United Agro: hi, how do i dictate in the next line? can you let me know please?
- (2021-02-28) Baco Land: est-ce que cela marche avec Brave j'ai une erreur: "Error: An error has occurred.Dismiss"
- (2021-02-15) Mike Cardona: Can you please update this app? I have severe RSI and tendonitis on both wrists and this app would be incredibly helpful if it was more accurate. It hasn't been updated since September 2019!
- (2021-02-05) Iñaki Jiménez Miranda: Es un gran avance para las personas que no tienen habilidades mecanográficas.
- (2021-02-03) Franco Piergiacomi: devo provare ad usarlo poi avrò modo di giudicare, da come scrive questa recezione mi sembra buono
- (2021-02-02) Bill Keller: I spoke soft, loud, fast and slow and it was perfect. it puts Siri to shame. poke of google docs but it has its own "voice typing" feature. idk. works for me!
- (2020-12-19) Paul Duffill: I've just installed it. The reason why it's only three stars is: 1. it doesn't pick up my New Zealand accent very well for some vowels (or consonants) even though it's set to "NZ English" so there needs to be some more voice training for it for at least that accent. 2. there is no official list anywhere (not on the Chrome store, nor in the app's "Options" which is greyed-out and seems not to exist, nor on the apps official website: https://www.dictation.tools/) and it seems that, as others have said, the voice command are rather limited (it can use most of the Googe docs "Add punctuation" commands at https://support.google.com/docs/answer/4492226?hl=en plus parenthesis, but not the other voice commands at the link). But it would still be great to have a list in its entry in the Chrome store of the voice commands this app does even if they are limited. That would help a lot in using it and would change my rating to 4 stars for me.
- (2020-11-23) Martyn Ayers: Worse than useless because of the time wasted making corrections. If googledocs can do it reasonably competently (apart from capitalization, semi-functional voice commands, etc), why not gmail? Abysmal advert for google technology.
- (2020-10-28) Susan Bushell: I guess despite this being advertised as a great dictation app for gmail talk and text, it is not showing up as an option beside the "send" button as advertised. Might be a Google issue but really folks? Now I have to get it off my computer. So frustrating
- (2020-10-11) Daniel Pardi: Excellent app - works better than expected! Since I started to use this app about 10 days ago, it's changed the way I do email. I am now dictating most emails, which is something I have wanted for over 20 years. The accuracy is fantastic. The only request I have is to have the text display with my formatting preferences. It's really no big deal but it would remove a step I must do for every email I send. So grateful, Greg. Thank you!
- (2020-08-28) Jim Cranshaw: It isn't working for me at all. Every time I click the mic button, it doesn't record my voice to text and it just says 'error' and then you can click dismiss. Can you advise?
- (2020-07-20) Laird Hepburn: Great at dictation. However, when installed, I can't print any of my emails. Please fix and I'll change my review.
- (2020-07-16) Nicolas Giroudeau: Vraiment très très très utile !!!
- (2020-07-13) Takeda Parker: Love it thanks a million
- (2020-06-27) James Adams: Super helpful, but please enable users to hide the language selector dropdown button. It's too wide, and pushes the trash button out of view, so I can no longer delete email drafts. I use several Gmail plugins that add buttons to the toolbar at the bottom of an email draft. Thank you.
- (2020-04-09) Dairine Kennedy: i love the idea but when i downloaded the icon never appeared on my gmail for me to use???
- (2020-04-05) Jean-Michel DUBOIS: Outil que je recherchais MAIS la police que j'avais défini par défaut n'est plus valide ?? Un bug ou un paramétrage ? Pensez à mettre la langue que vous parlez
- (2020-03-27) Flor De los Santos: Me parece una herramienta muy util para mi trabajo
- (2020-03-22) Mark Ifi: this is unbelievably useful and easy to use, and on par with 300 euro software from a decade ago. My only wish is for it to work outside of Gmail, too!
- (2020-02-27) JR Boon: Okay, since I cannot get it to work I suppose I cannot actually hate it. Win 10. Used to work really well, but after a hiatus of a few months, I re-installed it again, on my GMail program where I really need it, and I cannot get a word out of it. Microphone is ICE Snowball Blue. Help!
- (2020-02-21) J T: Just used this extension...so far it's GREAT! Hope the positive experience continues. I will update this review if needed.
- (2020-02-17) Scott Miller: would be 5 stars but it doesn't capitalize the first word of a sentence. <--- *sigh*
- (2020-02-04) patrick sauvé: Prodigieusement rapide et précis. ma seule critique serait que je ne peux pas l'utiliser partout dans Windows ce serait vraiment pratique.
- (2020-02-01) worxi: Très bonne application. Me facilite la tâche énormément, je suis très satisfait merci pour le développeur.
- (2020-02-01) K. Durtschi: doesn't work.
- (2019-12-29) PS: I have the extension installed but will disable it again after I do this. I'm dictating this with the accessibility voice-to-text feature of Chrome OS, (which has its own problems). I've tried this extension 3 times on my Chromebook and the reported problems don't seem to get addressed. The first issue, that it only accepts and places dictation in the message body is a major annoyance when I'm already in the Gmail app and want to add a recipient or compose another message. The second issue, shared with most V2T apps, is the inactivity timeout. It's too short. IMO it's because developers tend to be young, are impatient and have short attention spans. This brings up the third issue - the activation icon. Finding an clicking a small icon may not be a problem for able-bodied people whose only disability is a lack of keyboard skills, but it is a problem for those with visual and dexterity difficulties. The icon placement is better than Google's on Chromebooks; it least it does;t disappear with the Tool Bar. The fourth issue is that the accuracy of the V2T isn't very good compared to what Google uses for its Assistants. The vocabulary it recognizes is much smaller than mine,a business standard vocabulary with some fairly common technical terms. That requires a LOT of corrections. I'd be curious to know what it uses as its decoding engine. If I tell a Home speaker to "Call Linda Blake" it asks which of the three numbers I want to call. If I dictate "Linda Blake" through Google's Accessibility app it types it correctly. If I dictate "Linda Blake" through the extension it types "Amanda Lake". I have several Linda's and many Blakes and Lakes in my Google Contact, including Amanda Lake. This may be a coincidence. I don't see that this extension directly asked for access to my Contacts, but since it can't be used to dictate a recipient's name it doesn't/shouldn't need it. I'll check in a few months to see if the app gets another improvement, but I'm not hopeful.
- (2019-12-14) ratus ratus: Marche très bien en français, merci
- (2019-11-11) Marcel Boers: Good app. Translates in many languages. Only problem is that the microphone turns off very quickly all the time. A button to leave it on would be perfect.
- (2019-10-11) Len Kowalik: Tried this as a last resort because I could not find the extension that I had been using, which disappeared from my Chromebook, and which worked very well. Not updated since 2016 is a disappointment, because it works somewhat, however with the glitches reported by others. October 2019 Tried it again. The icon changes colour when I switch between Gmail and other tabs, but no response. Checked permissions and that the microphone is working. Everything looks okay, but nothing happens, as for another user who posted in Support. Chromebook.
- (2019-10-01) Philippe Schaer: Great add-on. Can't wait for improvements though, especially in the French version that i use (i am gratefull it exists in French). By example, "virgule" (comma) "point" (dot) doesn't work yet,as far as i know.
- (2019-08-24) Susan Kramer: I just added this extension and tried to use it in gmail. There's no microphone icon. Next to the usual blue Send box, is another blue box (w/ no text), and another blue Send box next to that. When I put my cursor over the middle blue box, thinking maybe that's the microphone, the buttons all started shaking, for lack of a better word. So I tried clicking on the middle blue button and got an error message that I need to add a receipient. Not sure why I'm not seeing the microphone. Any ideas? I've tried closing Chrome and reopening it, still with no luck. Thanks for your help!
- (2019-08-07) Steve Davey: Absolutely fantastic! Can't thank you enough.
- (2019-08-05) Ernst Grabovszki: Ist zwar wie jedes andere Diktiersystem nicht perfekt, aber eine großartige Hilfe.
- (2019-07-08) Pat Erler: Recognition quality, at least with my mic, ist top notch. But it doesn't insert the text at the cursor but at the bottom of the email. This is especially annoying as this means, it inserts the text below the signature.
- (2019-07-06) Shon Myers: this app NI
- (2019-07-02) Rich Siciliano: Works great for me, Thanks Greg Greg, Rich Rich
- (2019-06-20) Nickolaus Frey: Please note the date of this Review...6/20/19. I stumbled upon this app upon buying a new Dell Laptop in early June....and it made me crazy enough that I couldn't find this to add to my desktops that I and Google Gmail have had somewhat contentious series of conversations about why I could not find it for my Desk tops! (It is to be noted that I am nobody and probably less than nobody...but my contention that I would actually pay for this if I could get it for my other computers maybe caught their attention....lol) Get yourself a good mic...I bought thisFIFINE USB Microphone, Plug &Play Home Studio USB Condenser Microphone for Skype, Recordings for YouTube, Google Voice Search, Games(Windows/Mac)-K668 ) I write for a living, (and talk), so maybe my enunciation is particularly good....but I have struggled with voice dictation programs for some 10 plus years now....and this works for me. Amazing, a life changer. Sure you have to edit afterwards, and closely, and you then have to cut-n-paste onto letterhead a three page letter or memo or billing or whatever....but for me....this extension has been shockingly good.
- (2019-06-19) JULIA POKALO: It was functioning well and now for some reason it starts typing the message at the very bottom of the email chain, under the signature so I have to cut and paste it at the top where it is visible. Please fix it, otherwise it is fantastic tool!
- (2019-06-12) Mark Michell: Runs incredibly slow and crashes on my Chromebook. I wonder what's going on? Could it be the latest Chrome OS update? Is my Chromebook getting too old? This app is so critical to my livelihood! I've noticed that the microphone icon looks different....If I pause for a short time an error message shows up. "An error has occurred". This happens a few seconds after stop speaking.
- (2019-03-22) Sam Pardue: Please, please make this plug in better. I have early onset arthritis and I need your help. The annoying 'starting at the top' bug is sand in my gears. Some basic punctuation commands like period, comma, new paragraph, would be golden. I'd pay good money for a plug in which worked a bit more seamlessly.
- (2019-03-01) SR Fisher: This works pretty well so far for me on my Chromebook. It's not perfect, but it does save a lot of key strokes.
- (2019-02-26) shams azzam: עובד ויעיל
- (2019-02-15) As an update to my previous review, this app often replaces , with 'comma' and . with 'full stop'. However, I tried it in Docs and the same thing happens, so it seems to be a Google issue, not with this app. Either way, it renders this app not very useful to me.
- (2019-02-14) Patrick Forbes: After installing if you can't see the RECORD ICON simply refresh gmail page and create a new email. The record icon should be there now. "If time is money I must owe you something for saving me so many keystrokes!"
- (2019-02-08) No icon. No support.
- (2019-01-26) Hal Rez: It is basic but It works.
- (2019-01-15) Tracy Burney: This is a pretty good app. Would be nice however to customize it in some way as in a customized dictionary or if it is able to save your voice and make improvements in recognition.
- (2021-05-15, v:1.0.7) Petros Coroneos: Issue: i have tried to add extension
Ive added the extension and updated it / gave permission to the sites, but its not working
- (2021-05-13, v:1.0.7) Ryan Kempf: problem
it doesn't work correctly
- (2021-05-12, v:1.0.7) Gilbert Dufour: Dictation for Gmail
i all way get that message error. an error has aoccurred dismiss
- (2021-05-10, v:1.0.7) Free 2 Be: no microphone icon
Hello I just installed your extension but there is no microphone icon appearing to use. How can I activate it and see the microphone?
- (2021-05-01, v:1.0.7) Michel Salas: ajouter cette extension a gmail
je n'arrive pas a rjouter cette extension a mon g mail
- (2021-04-30, v:1.0.7) anne marie Gay: Consignes d'envoi de mail "Envoyer" également par dictee vocale ?
Bonjour , peut on donner des consignes d'envoi de mail également par dictee vocale ?
- (2021-04-22, v:1.0.7) Gregory Struck: error has occured
Microphone icon loads in Gmail but when I click on it I always get an error message that says, "An error has occurred." I can see that the extension is trying to access my microphone and it is allowing it to use it but still no luck. Thank you - Using Gmail ion windows 10 on edge browser.
- (2021-04-16, v:1.0.7) Soran Richards: Gmail voice
I would really Like if This became A full voice Assistant Like hey buddy etc
- (2021-04-08, v:1.0.7) Craig: list of commands?
How can I do these things - (do you have a list of commands?) semicolon; colon: period. full stop. comma, exclamation point! question mark? open parentheses (close parentheses) open quote" close quote" hyphen-slash new paragraph
- (2021-04-07, v:1.0.7) Angie Dong: "An error has occurred"
"Error: An error has occurred" this keeps coming up when I click on the mic please tell me how to solve this i'm running the brave browser on a windows 10 PC
- (2021-03-26, v:1.0.7) MIGUEL ANGEL LUCAS ROMERO: No funciona con cascos microfono
Una vez instalada la extensión, no me funciona con micrófono de diadema (auriculares con micro)
- (2021-03-25, v:1.0.7) Avi Tuschman: Keyboard shortcut // use on other websites
Is there a keyboard shortcut to activate/deactivate the dictation? How can I use this on other websites, such as Superhuman email which runs on top of Gmail? Many thanks!
- (2021-03-23, v:1.0.7) Professor Zone: Error
Microphone icon loads in Gmail but when I click on it I always get an error message that says, "An error has occurred." I can see that the extension is trying to access my microphone and it is allowing it to use it but still no luck. Thank you.
- (2021-03-21, v:1.0.7) Leo Roberts: Microphone not recognized
I have used your extension on a number of computers with great success. However, I just installed it on a computer with a webcam/microphone combo connected with USB. This works fine with ZOOM and all other applications. However, when I click the microphone of your application, it does not respond. Please help. Dr. Leo Roberts
- (2021-03-10, v:1.0.7) Walker Mills: visual enhancement
Hi, I am an OT working with students with visual limiations. Is there a way to increase the size or brighten (color) the microphone so the student can more easily locate it when attempting to dictate an email? Walker
- (2021-03-05, v:1.0.7) Tammy Krings: Downloaded extension and nothing has happened
Downloaded extension and nothing has happened to my Gmail account. I don't see the microphone icon at all. Suggestions/recommendations?
- (2021-02-26, v:1.0.7) LPC Assist: Error
I just got this extension and keep getting this alert: Error: An error has occurred
- (2021-02-24, v:1.0.7) Louis Mancuso: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa 64-bit
I'm using Linux Mint above. Extension loads and microphone icon is visible, however when I click on it it states "error: an error has occurred - dismiss" Any suggestions? FYI Kernel Linux 4.15.0-135-generic x86_64 MATE 1.20.1 Memory: 5.71GiB Processor:Intel® Core™ i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz × 4
- (2021-02-18, v:1.0.7) Bruce Kimura: Not working
Nothing happens when I start to speak. The mic goes from red to grey again. I have mic enabled
- (2021-02-17, v:1.0.7) Adam: Punctuation
Great programme, except I don't know how to do punctuation. IOS enables me to say new line, full stop, etc - how does this work pls?
- (2021-02-17, v:1.0.7) Yonatan Neril: Dictation not working
When I click on the microphone button to record, I receive an error message after I end the recording. Please help.
- (2021-01-31, v:1.0.7) andrew schlossman: where are the instructions?
What are the commands and how are they used? General instructions???
- (2021-01-29, v:1.0.7) Melanie McCullough: Added extension Microphone is not showing
Added extension but nothing appears. No microphone.
- (2021-01-29, v:1.0.7) Richard Cunliff: Punctuation
Hi, do you have a list of punctuation commands, when I say comma, upper case or other commands it just types what I said. Also when it does put a period it does not start with a capital letter on the next word.
- (2021-01-23, v:1.0.7) Suzanne Castle: Dictation not working
The microphone appears but when I click on it and speak, nothing happens. I can use speech to text successfully in google searches but not in gmail so I know my mic is working. Thank you
- (2021-01-20, v:1.0.7) Joe Bonahoom: dictation not working
this just stops working at times. I am dictating and it going fine and then when I try to continue it says error when i click on the microphone and won't allow the dictation
- (2021-01-14, v:1.0.7) Jessica Oliff: Turn off?
Is there a way to turn off the extension so that it is only on and listening when I click the microphone? TY
- (2021-01-12, v:1.0.7) GSACRD: Can't dictate
I have downloaded/added the extension but the red mic icon is not showing to dictate my message.
- (2021-01-08, v:1.0.7) Noel Bravo: Is there an autocorrect dictionary?
Every time I say "comma" your program types this "oh ," How can I fix this?
- (2021-01-04, v:1.0.7) Richard Feifer: Gmail Printing Error
Each time I enable this Chrome extension, I lose the ability to print gmails using my Macbook Pro. (Printing all other apps is fine.) More specifically, the gmail print preview window comes up with a header and footer, but with NO email text in the body of the preview window. Actual printing also only produces header/footer with no email body.
- (2020-12-29, v:1.0.7) Mike Murray (C): Cursor Jumps down to my signature, doesn't stay where I want to start
Sent you an email with example....but, when clicking the mic button, cursor jumps down to my Signature. Does it again when I click mic to start new paragraph
- (2020-12-24, v:1.0.7) Eliot Watkins: Dictation
Hi...no icon for dictation...heavily dependent on it... Help
- (2020-12-22, v:1.0.7) Mr. Mario Ayala: no icon ?
The icon does not appear after the install of the extension
- (2020-12-17, v:1.0.7) Billy Walker: Security?
Hi there, Can you please inform me about the security of the dictation? What information does you plugin take/store? I love the idea but need to confirm the security of my emails. Do you have any security certifications? Thanks!
- (2020-12-16, v:1.0.7) Sandeep Tripathy: Conflict with Outreach
The mic button gets hidden by the Outreach button so I need to disable Outreach if I need to use the extension to record/
- (2020-12-06, v:1.0.7) Sylvain LE BRETON: gestion de la ponctuation
bonjour comment gere t-pn la ponctuation et le retour à la ligne. j'ai essayé de faire comme dans DRAGON et cela ne fonctionne par correctement
- (2020-12-04, v:1.0.7) Heidi Pedersen: no microphone icon
no microphone icon. there is a microphone icon in my chrome browser, but not one in my gmail
- (2020-11-19, v:1.0.7) Tom Berry: Issue with dictating in Gmail
We are having an issue when in gmail and clicking the dictate icon we are getting the red icon and the pulse when picking up a voice but no text is being inputted. We are on a filtered network can you please advise on what we can do.
- (2020-11-16, v:1.0.7) Robert Dean Howell: Mic icon shows but wont work
The mic icon shows and when I click it turns red and you can it is receiving the data but nothing gets typed out. It was working like 2 weeks ago but not anymore. Maybe due to Chrome update recently?
- (2020-11-12, v:1.0.7) Michael Perko: doesn't work
No mic in email box
- (2020-11-09, v:1.0.7) Deborah Lazard: the mic does not appear
the mic does not appear
- (2020-11-03, v:1.0.7) Nat Beef: EDGE
Chrome extensions are installable in EDGE. This works for me in Chrome. In EDGE it just gives me an error when I try to dictate. A notification of error pops up with a Dismiss button. I've tried reinstalling several times. Windows 10 PC. Chrome OK. Edge error. Can this work in Edge?
- (2020-10-19, v:1.0.7) Mark Southard: mic is not showing in gmail
mic is not showing in gmail
- (2020-10-07, v:1.0.7) David Miller: Cursor Placement
It doesn't want to begin typing where I place the cursor. If I stop the mic and start i back and speak it automatically jumps to a new line. Then, if I actually say "new line" it often types it out instead of going to the new line.
- (2020-09-16, v:1.0.7) peter creighton: DICTATE GMAIL
“Dictate on gmail” is not functioning. When composing new email, microphone symbol next to SEND button is black. Click on it turns red. My voice makes the red symbol vibrate but no text is input. The only way to dictate is WIN key + H. The mic symbol did work when I first installed the extension.
- (2020-09-16, v:1.0.7) peter creighton: dictation to gmail
when i click on black mic symbol it turns red . my voice revebarates the symbol but no texting
- (2020-09-15, v:1.0.7) Sylvain Cabaret: Mic doesn't appera
Hi, the mic doesn't appear...How solve it ?
- (2020-09-14, v:1.0.7) Stefan Gharib: mic does not appear in gmail
mic does not appear in gmail
- (2020-09-03, v:1.0.7) Stefan Gharib: mic does not sho
the microphone does not show in gmail. what can I do? tried to remove and reinstall, close chrome and even restart the mac. please help.
- (2020-08-26, v:1.0.7) Alice Hearst: Microphone
Have been using the extension and it works relatively well (except, when typing a note to a student, enunciate: it came out urinalysis for your analysis.). but I just got a brand new MacBook Pro and despite having reinstalled the chrome extension, the microphone icon is nowhere to be found. Nor does hitting the function key twice work.