Removes and prevents popups, overlays and cookie notifications, other tools do not. Enjoy the original look of the internet.
Hey! Seen the terrific rating above? You must be wondering: “Is it finally a good popup blocker? Should I try it?” Let’s read the description to find out if there is something interesting about it and if so, give it a try. So, answering your questions: “No and Yes” - it isn’t some “good” popup blocker. PopUpOFF is brilliant: https://github.com/RomanistHere/PopUpOFF/issues/16 - and you should definitely try it if you ever struggled with popups, cookie notifications, overlays and other nasty things. Why? - PopUpOFF doesn’t just block some popups that other developers paid for, but YOU are in control of it. You decide not to have any single overlay on the screen or casually remove only the most annoying things (hi cookie notifications and subscription popups). - You can unlock and read PAID content FOR FREE on some websites (see the video above). - Size of this extension is 100 times less than any other average popup blocker in the store. Size doesn’t matter? Well… I’m not so sure. - PopUpOFF is a non-commercial and open-source project. It means no ads, no tracking, everything it has is available for you for free and forever. I am RomanistHere and I’m giving you this piece of better web. Drawbacks? - It still is in development, so there could be bugs or imperfect solutions, I’m working on it solo and there are other things in the world to do. So be gentle, I created it for myself back then, but now I’m doing it for you. - PopUpOFF is as addictive as it gets. After you start using it, there would be no way back. You are warned:) Sounds interesting? Go get it. Write “hello” to me, share the feedback. Check what else I’m doing. There are probably other pieces of better web. Be cool, be gentle, help me make the world better. Not saying goodbye. Have a better life now:) Useful links: GitHub (tech description): https://github.com/RomanistHere/PopUpOFF Why am I doing this: https://romanisthere.github.io/posts/my-mission/ Changelog: https://romanisthere.github.io/apps/popupoff/updates/ Stay updated on my projects: https://twitter.com/RomanistHere Donate: https://www.donationalerts.com/r/romanisthere
- (2022-07-28) Bob Loucks: This really IS a hidden gem! Go into the settings and be sure to set it to your taste...medium... aggressive ?? I love it when stuff DOES what it SAYS :)
- (2022-06-27) Brandon H: Works better than expected, thank you!
- (2022-05-24) Engin Rençber: berbat
- (2022-05-17) Codo Coderson: At last, an extension that sweeps off "Cookies" and "Dowload my eBook" overlays. Cannot live without it anymore. And the dev is a great guy! My Settings: Moderate mode by default and, if I notice something may be missing, Alt+X for Dormant mode.
- (2022-04-26) Pat MySecret: This is my new favoriite PopupBlocker. I also keep "Nope 2 Overlays" to do a manual block of things that Auto blockers don't catch. 4/26 Yes, I see what the author is saying now. Though the WhiteList isn't formally listed, a leftclick choice on the PopupOff icon for particular sites will be retained. Thank you Extension Creator! ;)
- (2022-04-20) ე ქ: This extension is a hidden gem! Thank you @Romanist Here, I appreciate the work you've done.
- (2022-04-14) Anthony Congiano: Works extremely well on even the most aggravating site's overlays. The settings options help, if the overlay popups and redirects keep happening, just move up the settings from Dormant to moderate, or to aggressive.
- (2022-03-11) Steven Herrmann: I read the instructions, I put aggressive and anti-paid on and it still doesn't remove the paywall for NYT! A few times it seemed like it worked for 5 seconds or so and then it came right back on preventing me from reading! I tried a combination of every setting, no luck! I don't like giving bad ratings so I still gave this 5 stars lol! But there are a lot of good reviews so hopefully im doing something wrong and the dev or someone can reply and help me! Thanks! 😊
- (2022-03-02) Mohamed Awad: KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK PEOPLE, GOD BLESS THOSE WHO HELP.
- (2022-02-07) Sherif Aliti: 3 star for effort but if missing turn ON-OFF function every blocker is useless
- (2022-01-28) CHIRAG SINGHAL: I really like the aggressive mode. It do the same thing that i used to do with adguard custom rules manually creating a lot of user rules and working too much and sometimes which are not easy to make . This extension sometimes shutter, works after sometime, have performance issues but i'm sure developer will work on them . Seems like something fishing going though too (https://i.imgur.com/9qyRepg.png)
- (2022-01-15) Herndon High: Works! Big thanks to the developer(s)
- (2021-12-22) Mark Gerber: This is the best pop up blocker I have ever used. Until I now I had 3 or 4 pop up blockers installed and I still got loads of pop ups. This one is finally blocking all those idiotic pop ups. So many websites try to stop you from leaving with a pop up that asks if you are sure you want leave. Of course I want to leave when I close the window. This extension takes care of that. This extension was sorely needed and you can be certain that I will be spreading the word. @Romanist Here, thank you so much for this great extension.
- (2021-12-09) Mark E: This is excellent. Not perfection yet, but what it already has works so well. Finally a de-bullsh** browsing experience.
- (2021-12-09) George Hank: Works Really good. Stops the junk on a web page from appearing.
- (2021-11-22) Ahmed Seoudi: It really works! Just a feature request. I would like if possible that it doesn't wait for the page to fully load before t removes the overlays. Other than that it's a 5/5 from me!
- (2021-10-26) Claribel Sanchez: great app, although some sites are fully unbothered by it. lol.
- (2021-10-10) Marco Schramm: First, I was skeptical because Google Chrome Safe Browsing showed an alert that this extension isn't safe. But I really need a pop-up blocker and so far no extension did its job well. But this is the first I found which really blocks these annoying pop-ups. Thank you very much for this add-on, keep it up!
- (2021-08-27) Michael Kruse: Update 2021-08-27: I'm not a web developer or a chrome extension developer, so I can't confirm whether that json file proves anything, but I appreciate the prompt response and attempts at transparency. Changing back to 5 stars. Update 2021-08-25: Why does this app require access to my browsing history? I love it, but I won't use it if it's harvesting my data... Please explain? It works too well sometimes. I keep it on 'Moderate' level, but at least once or twice a week it will end up blocking a dropdown menu or a necessary pop-up from one of my banking websites. Then it'll take me a few seconds to remember that its probably this add-on which is causing the issue, so I'll set it to 'Dormant' and then the issue is resolved. There's not much that can be done about this, since the add-on is working as intended. Although perhaps you could add all the major banking websites to the default whitelist?
- (2021-08-13) NoobMaster69: really fantastic
- (2021-07-06) harshwardhan gajbhiye: OMG IT LITERALLY BLOCKS ALL THOSE ANNOYING OVERLAYS. THANK YOU DEVELOPERS:) YOU MADE THE IMPOSSIBLE THING POSSIBLE. I M RELIEVED. THANKS AGAIN.
- (2021-06-10) Sir Anthony: Defiantly stops those aggravating overlay popups. I set it to manual so that if a site has hidden overlays (where I click anywhere but the click activates a new redirect or malware webpage) it gets stopped but it won't affect legitimate forwards. Works effectively well!
- (2021-04-24) Paul: In one word: awesome. Just a little question: does it disable all those 'legitime interests' and consent things or does it only make them disappear ?
- (2021-03-31) Pramod: The best free overlay & popup ad blocker in the market with 3 easy to choose modes and the preferences are saved for each website visited. Dormant mode is very friendly to all the day to day websites (e.g., banking) and moderate or aggressive modes are needed for few news websites with annoying popups. Developer promptly responds to your feedback or questions. I wish I found it sooner!
- (2021-03-17) Unverified Joe: Works perfect when i'm combining with Avira Browser Safety. No less no more! Just perfect! Thank!
- (2021-03-06) Caio Fr.: it really block any pop up and overlay bad things
- (2021-02-12) you cef: i like it it works as described what i like more about it is that you removed google analytics from it that's the best choice you have made i support you for doing it i wish you good luck from algeria :) it's really cool that we have many young developers who care about privacy and make life in internet much easier for us. PS: i tested it along with uBlockorigine extention they work perfectly together i hope you share your experience with them and help each other in developing both your skills and addon together. :)
- (2021-02-01) j k: Features are good, but there is no option to disable right click context menu in the browser Please add options to enable or disable context menu
- (2021-01-19) 日本小鉄: オーバーレイ広告を消したいと思って探してたどり着いた。 こういうわかりやすく簡単に使用できる拡張機能が欲しかった。 ホワイトリストに設定したサイトの広告は表示される。 一度ホワイトリストの設定したサイトでも広告を非表示にすることも可能。 とても使いやすいと思う。
- (2021-01-08) Matt Shalvatis: Sadly, in the latest update, it's treating the Evernote Web Clipper as a pop-up, breaking it's functionality. It worked fine before that. Note: this is when using it in the Brave browser. It does work fine in the Chrome browser, but it worked fine in Brave before a recent update.
- (2021-01-07) Joma Bastos G P: OK! 3
- (2021-01-07) Father Justin: I owe the author an apology. It was working fine, until I wanted to block some content on a website, and suddenly everything on the page disappeared. I uninstalled the extension, but the content still disappeared. Then I realised what I had done. I had clicked on uBlock instead of PopUpOFF. So I adjusted my settings on uBlock, reinstalled the extension, and now it's working perfectly! If I could make one suggestion: it would be to enable an "undo" function, which you could press if you don't like the change you just made. And thank you for this great extension!
- (2021-01-01) Another great essential extension to have along with No-Script Suite Lite, Malwarebytes Browser Guard, Browsec, Long Press New Tab and zoomWheel. It was (or maybe still is) easy to block video autoplay in Firefox config but I never found a way in Chrome before I found this. It's not site-specific and I'm not sure why Dormant or Moderate are recommended as only Aggressive blocks video pop-ups. And the slider now in options to set the default mode when it is already set by clicking on the icon - and I would hope not changed - doesn't seem at all helpful.
- (2020-11-30) Frank Martin: This is really fun. Thanks to the developer.
- (2020-10-06) Cameron B: I have a few page element control extensions installed, including one that specifically is intended to deal with blocking overlay (anti adblocker) page elements. I was still finding that a few sites just didn't respond properly to my previous overlay remover and I couldn't use other broader controls to manually edit past a few of those. I figured I'd have a look again and see of I could find anything better and came across this one. Instant win. One button simple click and the page I was having issues with cleared immediately. Very impressed. Good job.
- (2020-09-28) Skill seizer: like it
- (2020-08-04) Tom Jerry: Loved it!
- (2020-07-18) Thallysson Costa: Ótimo! Obrigado! Resolveu meus problemas, tanto no Google Chrome e no New Microsoft Edge. Os dois navegadores que uso e essa extensão, super feliz.
- (2020-07-05) EvgenKo423: This extension does a really great job on removing unwanted stuff. But unfortunately, it doesn't work automatically and according to the author won't be able to do so in a near future, so this basically kills all its pros.
- (2020-07-02) Rafael Rodrigues: Works great. Easy to use. No complains
- (2020-06-23) Keaton Nash: Really great, seems like every site has a modal asking you to sign up for their email or whatever and this extension is excellent at blocking them. Only suggestion would be a setting where it's always on, that way I don't have to turn it on every time I open a site
- (2020-04-08) Soo Teck Quek: great stuff!
- (2020-03-01) Rachamim Shemesh: The best Pop up blocker
- (2020-02-02) micom fa: test on makeuseof.com, not working, thanks anyway.
- (2020-01-07) What is Life: Just needs a bit more work. Prefect for regular use, but not if you watch video feeds in fullscreen, it'll kill the video too then once it's turned on. Opening a video feed into full screen while it's on and there will be no video feed. Also the shortcut only activates it, it doesn't deactivate the setting as well. I guess I'm an outlier on what I use this for, random popups over a video feed that are also there in fullscreen. Other than that, this is the must have extension.
- (2019-11-25) Simon: great software, it actually disable those please disable your adblock overlay on the screen, tried adblock plus, uorigin and pop up blocker and none of those works, then i found this extension, give it a try
- (2019-10-31) JOHNNY: Si te gusta leer paginas que tienen un montón de cosas molestas, esta es tu extensión.
- (2019-08-19) Ferran Buireu: Funciona realmente bien, además se trata de un proyecto Open Source, muy fácil de usar y con muchísimo futuro.
- (2019-08-08) Carlos Pavía Noriega: It is a worthy finding!
- (2019-07-25) Tim Long: Cool
- (2022-05-15, v:2.0.2) Mark E: Effectiveness lowered
Has something changed? In the last few days blocking has become a lot less effective on Moderate. E.g. email prompt coming up here: https://www.purpleparking.com/gatwick-airport-parking on moderate. Plus many other examples.
- (2022-04-21, v:2.0.2) Christopher Sullivan: Blooket
Can you greenlight Blooket? There are no advertising popups, but I'm having trouble editing my sets because it blocks them from popping up.
- (2021-03-10, v:2.0.2) Bergg Uscha: not working: asics
https://www.asics.com/de/de-de/ the initial overlay is not removed on moderate, but settings are removed on moderate. works only on aggressive.
- (2021-03-10, v:2.0.2) Bergg Uscha: Cookies are saved
My reasoning was that cookies popup, if not answered, would be suppressed by PPO, hence, no decision yes or no. Why are the cookies being saved anyway. Is that normal?
- (2020-12-07, v:2.0.1) CB: pop unders
does this block pop UNDERS ? thanks
- (2020-11-08, v:1.1.9) Maurice Verdonk: Found a site where the extension does not work 100%.
On this site ... https://www.digitaltrends.com/news/shower-power-speaker-powered-by-your-shower/ Your extension removes several things with Hard Mode but there is still some kind of overlay? I can scroll the page but the overlay makes it more difficult to read. It is not a must, because I got to that site through Reddit, but reporting it none the less seemed like a nice thing to do.
- (2020-05-27, v:1.1.4) Hypnotoad: Read Browsing History?
I'm simply curious as to why my browsing history would need to be read by your add-on. I'll admit that I'm not too educated on the subject, but is there any particular reason why this is needed?
- (2020-03-12, v:1.1.4) Leo Alves: videos in fullscreen
I saw in the comment section someone saing about the videos when going in fullscreen your application kills or crashes the video, it happend to me in a anime website that I viseted. https://anitube.be/ Here is the link. Thank you for this amasing add-on.
- (2019-10-23, v:1.1.2) Engin Rençber: 13/5000 I can not download
Cannot download google chrome There was a problem adding the item to Chrome. Please refresh the page and try again. says