Easy, powerful CSS Selector generation.
Selector Gadget is an open source Chrome Extension that makes CSS selector generation and discovery on complicated sites a breeze. After having installed the extension, go to any page and launch it. A box will open in the bottom right of the website. Click on a page element that you would like your selector to match (it will turn green). SelectorGadget will then generate a minimal CSS selector for that element, and will highlight (yellow) everything that is matched by the selector. Now click on a highlighted element to remove it from the selector (red), or click on an unhighlighted element to add it to the selector. Through this process of selection and rejection, SelectorGadget helps you come up with the perfect CSS selector for your needs. There is a tutorial video and a bookmarklet version available at https://selectorgadget.com
- (2022-12-08) Hussin Sebti: Love this but doesn't seem to be working anymore
- (2022-01-10) Edgar Higareda: nice
- (2021-11-20) Giannis P.: Very nice but maybe needs an update? on some sites now not working
- (2021-10-24) Greg Ricks: Huge time saver!
- (2021-07-02) KJ Sudarshan: Absolutely fantastic! This extension has been literally saving me tonnes of time which I would have otherwise laboriously spent finding the deeply nested elements! Kudos
- (2021-06-03) Ian Kinner: Doesn't handle dynamically added elements very well (at all?). Does produce specific enough selectors to isolate a single element.
- (2021-01-17) Malikul Akbar: Nice tools for web scraping
- (2020-10-22) Hao Liu: Nice!
- (2020-10-21) Vivi Mentari Dewi: Makanan enak, pelayanan ramah Sambutan hangat "Parkiran luas Keamanan dan keselamatan dijaga Responsif atas masalah kamar Tempat bermain anak yang luas dan lengkap Dekat pusat belanja Layaknya small city dalam satu kawasan hotel Komplit dah pkoknya Terima kasih Royal Ambarukmo hotel"
- (2020-08-24) ujwal: Appreciated your efforts sir, to save time of others! Hope we get more features in future and plugins like this in coming days :P Hope we Indians will be the next innovators in coming years :)
- (2020-01-20) 夏春旭: 学习scrapy需要用css.
- (2019-12-16) Wietse de Vries: I need something like this to find unique selectors
- (2019-12-03) Mark Krieger: So old and still working so great to find CSS selectors for tweaks.
- (2019-11-24) Adrian “Jagi” Jagielak: The best helper for scraping
- (2019-10-07) Александр Евдокимов: BEST! THX MAN!
- (2019-10-06) Cake Jacob: Cool!!!
- (2019-08-21) Đỗ Anh Duy Trần: Just genius!
- (2019-06-19) Abhinav Rai: Such a time saver. Really amazing work there!
- (2019-06-09) Marc D: I dont even know what to say... really good. As someone learning scraping... I use it to see what logic its using to get these selector paths. Super informative and one hell of a time saver. Excellent job.
- (2019-05-09) Heath Howe: Freakin' awesome tool. I'm a test automation engineer who struggles with the right combo of CSS selector for related objects. This makes it as easy as I can imagine. Read the very quick "?" help, and use in combination with https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/trysel.asp. Only thing that I care about that is missing from that website is :contains("searching for this text"). Killer. Just killer.
- (2019-03-29) Nick Ward: Thank you! Already saved hours on day one...
- (2018-08-08) Henry Zhang: How do I use it with Scrapy???I pick an item and the box just gave me .text, how do I convert that into .css() something?
- (2018-04-24) Hariton H: Nice!
- (2018-02-22) Dennis Irorere: cool
- (2017-12-17) Boon Hong Goh: nice !
- (2017-10-31) peng zeng: 好用
- (2017-09-17) Rahul Tiwari: Drastically reduces my eyes' effort for scraping web pages. Although not useful for some sites.
- (2017-08-17) Simon Ludwig: Thank you very Much :)
- (2017-06-24) The best extension of this kind.
- (2017-04-24) Shawn Graven: This does not give me the full path, not what I am looking for.
- (2017-02-27) rekaa0251: Excellent plugin, i use this whenever i need to find a jQuery ID.
- (2017-02-08) Ryan Chin: So useful. I don't have to dig the source code to determine what CSS classes and IDs are being used for specific parts of pages.
- (2016-12-13) Keith Tyler: It really only gives very basic selectors that aren't at all likely to be unique. This isn't useful for getting css selectors for testing and I would imagine on anything but the simplest of web sites, it wouldn't be any good for scraping either.
- (2016-09-24) 卢凯鹏: very very very good!
- (2016-08-17) Michael Zhang: It's real helpful and saves so much time in developing and testing, but don't use it too much when you are going to have a interview.
- (2016-06-30) Diogo Nunes: almost never works on the pages I test... I'm removing this
- (2016-05-20) Marcel Nita: Really useful! Function over form, right?
- (2016-05-08) Yum: Awesome!, easy to use and very useful tool
- (2016-04-19) Harry Yu: This is a super cool tool. I used this in my scraping helper extension (WrapAPI.com). This by far the most advanced CSS Selector generator that I've found. Its code (https://github.com/cantino/selectorgadget) uses an extremely cool scoring system.
- (2022-10-07, v:1.2.0) Jon Seidel: selecting elements of a graph (e.g., x-Axis)
We use recharts/react and I need to select all the x-axis elements for a given graph. Clicking on an x-axis element selects the whole graph; clicking on more elements winds up selecting the whole page; I see no way to remove the whole graph from the selection without removing everything
- (2022-10-06, v:1.2.0) Palatao Army: Ms Edge
Does not work on ms Edge Version 106.0.1370.34 (Official build) (64-bit) on Linux Mint 20.3
- (2021-10-13, v:1.1.1) Madame Minty: Plagiarism
Hi, just so you know, some dude copy-pasted your code 1:1 and added ad pop-ups https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/css-selector/dobcgekgcmhjmfahepgbpmiaejlpaalc
- (2020-11-12, v:1.1.1) Chris Newton: Empty data from Xpath with Google Sheets and broken Excel Xpath?
I get a error that the data imported is empty with Google Sheets or with Excel, I get a broken Formula. I am trying to import stock related data from otcmarkets.com For Example, the Market Cap number from Stock CYDY: In excel, I get an error stating the formula is invalid =importxml("https://www.otcmarkets.com/stock/CYDY/security", "//*[contains(concat( " ", @class, " " ), concat( " ", "kYmYWE", " " ))]") I also tried a quick conversion to a Google Sheets format: =importxml("https://www.otcmarkets.com/stock/CYDY/security", "//*[contains(concat( ' ', @class, ' ' ), concat( ' ', 'kYmYWE', ' ' ))]") Error says imported content is empty. I basically am trying to pull the DTC #, the Market Cap # and Unrestricted #s each in different cells. Then I am also trying to pull the associated dates with each. Can you help please? I spent all night trying to get these formulas to work. I stumbled across this app and thought, wow! just need a little extra help. I am hoping to see formula examples for Google Sheets and Excel to test via both platforms. Any help is Greatly appreciated!
- (2020-10-21, v:1.1.1) Christoffer Ulander: Importxml
Im using the selector gadget to import data into excel. I use the xpath and directly copy that into my excel formula =importxml(A1,A2). My issue is when I unselect (Turn them red) certain cells in a table on the website, once i import that to excel and attempt the calculations. Excel comes back to me with content cannot be parsed.
- (2019-11-11, v:1.1) Machine Learning: Doesn't select on Yellowpages.com
I tried selecting individual fields like restaurant name or Phone number on the below link. However, the selection is off i.e., when i point on restaurant name it highlights address & even when i click it says "No valid path found" Does this work with Yelllow pages? https://www.yellowpages.com/los-angeles-ca/mip/el-cid-restaurant-3134624
- (2019-06-18, v:1.1) Andrei Bintintan: Google Analytics?
This should be a "developer" add-on, why do you inject google-analytics?
- (2017-03-21, v:1.1) Sam Helmich: Doesn't work on local files?
I wrote up a simple little HTML file on my desktop in order to demonstrate to a few others how SelectorGadget works, and when I open the file in chrome (with the extension file:///<etc>, SelectorGadget doesn't seem to work.
- (2017-02-22, v:1.1) Aisulu Aisulu: не могу загрузить
все время выводит ошибку о загрузке
- (2016-12-07, v:1.1) pat OHara: Not selecting individual objects - selecting main div
Hi I initially installed SelectorGadget and it worked great. however now if I try to select an object on a page it selects object the whole page (div). If I open a new browser window individual objects become available to select. Not sure what is happening but would be helpful not having to keep a new browser window. Is there something I need to do in order to make sure it just selects individual objects and not the whole page? Thanks
- (2016-01-11, v:1.1) Hamed K: an error occured
this extension is not added to my google chrome , image decode fail