Making the web a stranger better place.
Is the news getting you down? Well about to be cheered up with substitutions that make reading the news more fun. see http://xkcd.com/1288, https://xkcd.com/1625/ Now with custom substitutions! Simply right click the extension icon and click options to add your own. some other xkcd jokes have made it into the newest version. https://xkcd.com/1004/ https://xkcd.com/1418/ https://xkcd.com/1031/ https://xkcd.com/1625/ all credit to xkcd also checkout s/keyboard/leopard, which inspired this extension. http://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/skeyboardleopard/oheflacdocadefgdpiimpapbkomhgbbe source: https://github.com/Posnet/xkcd-substitutions
- (2021-08-05) Lars Jörgensen: Love it. Little thing though: for "expand" --> "physically expand", the extension gives me 10–20 physicallys, probably because the substitution contains its own trigger word. And as others said, uppercase and lowercase distinction would be nice but that's just cosmetic. Edit: they are getting more and more. I am at over 50 physicallys now.
- (2021-04-08) Ye Wang: I tried replacing "."="!?" but instead it just replaces every space with "!?". Other than that it worked fine and I had a lot of fun.
- (2021-02-24) Peter Nielsen: Very nice... worth the install. Laughing for days. Don't forget to turn it off if you're doing something serious, though... it can get confusing. Still. Very good.
- (2021-02-12) Matthew Lopez: It makes the Internet a stranger and better place. There are a couple problems, though, but they are all possible to fix. The first problem is that switching 2 words doesn't work. For example, when you set it to change minute to year and year to minute, it just changes both minute and year to minute. This can be fixed by adding a 0-length whitespace character to the text, like this one: (). This can also fix the recursive "physically physically expands" issue, as others have noted. The second problem is that it does not work with 0 web sites in the blocklist, but that can be fixed by adding gibberish to the blocklist. The third problem is that it does not have the substitutions 3 comic by default, but they are easy to add.
- (2020-10-14) Rassul Li: Reading the news have became my favorite part of my day
- (2019-12-01) Vedang Ratnaparkhi: now i read news
- (2019-11-01) Ritalio: Would be nice if it somehow highlighted what was removed. But really funny otherwise!
- (2019-10-02) Backspin Studios (SIrAxolotl): All of this is yes.
- (2019-05-17) 希望alex: Good idea and execution but it slowed down Twitter and Facebook to a crawl, made them basically unusable on a powerful desktop... Fix your extension.
- (2019-03-15) Steven Bartels: I really love this extension. It's great... although, I have to admit, if you leave it running forever and forget it's running there are times when it can leave you seriously confused, especially when measurements are switched around. Enjoy.
- (2018-10-06) LoganDark: Amazing, even though you can't delete substitutions.
- (2018-09-22) Daniel Wolf: It turned NASA into Space core
- (2018-06-13) reed rodgers: This is easily the best extension to install on people's browsers when they aren't looking. My co-working genuinely believes Doug Ford won an eating contest just before the Ontario election.
- (2018-05-09) Andy Tewfik: Please add highlighting/mouseover text to changed words. Would be *super* helpful. Sometimes it's funny, but sometimes it's just confusing.
- (2018-04-23) Fabian Remie (GAGO): is there a substitution limit? i want to make an entire substitution language.
- (2018-04-17) Василий Свинко: IMO, it should be disabled in <pre>/<source> tags and/or on technical websites because it might cause trouble when copy-pasting commands (horse-install, etc.). Otherwise, it's great!
- (2018-03-24) Thundersnow: Very fun to read. You're looking stuff up for a research thing and you come across a story about an uncontrollably swerving atomic cat. Very nice. Only problem is that the "expand->physically expand" substitution recurses so you get things in the vein of "physically physically physically physically expands".
- (2018-03-23) Generic Profile: I love this. I am never going to unintall this.
- (2018-03-22) Brennan: This extension is a lot of fun, but I did find one minor bug. When replacing something partially with itself, for example 'expands' => 'physically expands', the replacement runs multiple times and you end up with 'physically physically physically expands'.
- (2018-02-12) NeoApolis: best thing ever!!
- (2018-01-21) Anon Person: This is AWESOME! Entertaining for hours!
- (2017-12-04) The Stokes: Throughout this year, I've been dealing with triggers, and I have used this extension to remove triggering words from websites. It made me feel so much safer browsing the web, and has saved me from having a bad reaction to something written on a webpage many, many times. It's helped me so much and actually allowed me to use the internet without needing to be worried about what if I happen across something triggering, because I know that this extension will remove it and I won't have to read it. I can't recommend it enough, I'm very thankful that I had this to help me through this year.
- (2017-09-23) Joshua manders-jones: Makes pretty much everything a lot more interesting to read. However I would like to point out that the translation for expand -> physically expand is recursive, so it ends up looking more like: expand -> physically physically physically physically expand
- (2017-09-14) Tyler Szabo: Funny but ultimately a pain to use. It will cause issues with text boxes where your cursor will jump to the front when the page is updated. It's a cute gag but if used will more likely break pages (even on pages that lack any words that it would substitute).
- (2017-09-04) Ryan Murray: This is a very fun extension. However, the main problem I have with it is that turning it off requires refreshing the page. Other than that, awesome extension!
- (2017-07-02) John: This is an absolute must-have if you read xkcd. It doesn't quite work 100%, but it's really funny. Just make sure to organize the site blacklist before you do any research!
- (2017-06-10) Tom Smith: Massively slows down your browser. You have to wait for every bit of a page to fully load, then the XKCD extension completely freezes up Chrome for about 4 seconds while it does its work. Not worth the giggle.
- (2017-05-22) Nolan Westrich: After I added some substitutions of my own: -----:-----:-----:-----:-----:-----:-----:-----:----- UK Conservatives' lead halved ahead of eating contest, according to this psychic reading [Image caption: British Lord Theresa May campaigning ahead of the 2017 General Eating contest] Lord Theresa May's Conservatives' lead over the opposition Labour Party halved to 9 percent in a Survation telephone psychic reading published on Monday, adding to signs that the eating contest race is tightening ahead of the June 8 pokémon. -----:-----:-----:-----:-----:-----:-----:-----:----- As you can see, I'm having fun with this. And I have'nt even had the extention for more than two hours yet. EDIT: A suggestions: Make the extension work when there are few/no websites in the blacklist. I prefer this extension to function on ALL websites, and then just have it off when I'm doing something serious.
- (2017-05-20) Harshit Garg: Really really love this one. That feeling you are reading something seriously and suddenly you see "spaaaace instead of "space" is just hilarious.
- (2017-05-18) Morgan Weeks: i was realllllly confused about why someone stole a cat until i remembered i had this on
- (2017-04-29) DEdd Cuber: Pls add more words
- (2023-07-15, v:1.4.1) Bruce Morgan: www.tractorsupply.com slows to a crawl
love this extension but it slows www.tractorsupply.com hugely
- (2023-02-24, v:1.4.1) Harrison Ambler: How to bring list from other browsers?
I've got a long list of substitutions that I use to convert US English phrases to UK English which I'd like to keep when moving between browsers. Whether this be through a service like syncing through Google Drive or just by importing and exporting a .csv, any option would be great.
- (2020-03-26, v:1.4.1) Tristan Fritsch: Weird Capitalization
Climate Change >> Greta Thunberg's secret fetish That's what's supposed to happen. However, this is what really happens Climate Change >> Greta thUnberg's secret fetish. A small issue, and a great extension, but it's kinda weird.
- (2019-11-04, v:1.4.1) Don S. MDT: Substitutions 3
When are you going to add the third comic?
- (2018-11-17, v:1.4.1) David Czech: Title
Should replace text in <title> as well, as seen on some of the comics.
- (2018-10-10, v:1.4.1) Tristen Harris: recursive replacements
Hey man, great job on this thing, Im going to have a ball with it but It seems to have some interesting bugs, first it continues to replace the expands multiple times so you get physically physically physically ... expands instead. Also the years-> minutes things loops back constantly and ends up on years again, basically nullifying it. It makes multiple subs in that time something like 5-7+ I didnt keep count. Might want to patch that up (or make it open source Ill take a crack at it)
- (2018-10-06, v:1.4.1) LoganDark: New substitution?
- (2018-07-26, v:1.4.1) joseph sarjero: J AIME PAS TRO CE TRUC
- (2018-07-14, v:1.4.1) Gail Bryan: Recursive expansion
expand>physically expand, ends up turning into expand>physically physically physically physically physically physically expand
- (2018-06-13, v:1.4.1) Elden Lai: randomization
Do you think there's a possibility of making an option for substitutions to shuffle randomly? As in, the right column would pull from a list of words.
- (2018-05-09, v:1.4.1) Andy Tewfik: Marking swapped words
Highlighting or adding a mouse over text to swapped words would be very useful. For each time I laugh to myself because of a swap, I have to re-read a sentence a few times to figure it out.
- (2018-03-24, v:1.4.1) Polar Vortex: Recursing Substitution
Maybe fix the "expand>physically expand" substituton so it checks if there's a "physcially" before the word so it doesn't recurse.
- (2017-12-02, v:1.4.1) fullmetal: Stopped working
For some unknown reason this completely stopped working for me. It used to work perfectly but just stopped one day.