Fix position:fixed by adding transform:translateZ(0) to element. For smooth scrolling with 60fps.
This extension optimizes scrolling performance by adding transform:translateZ(0) to layers with position:fixed. this triggers hardware-acceleration and makes scrolling more fluid. in the options page you can turn features on and off and decide if you prefer speed or effects. I also managed to apply this trick to the real chromium.app, so you can try it as a "native" chrome feature without the extension. for the brave ones here is a beta to download from my dropbox: (its latest chromium compiled with the patch). https://www.dropbox.com/s/cesnf1ekte8kwmn/Chromium.app.zip?dl=0 The screenshots show the difference of the extension in action. See comments in the adressbar of the screenshots. a) unoptimised, lot of green repaint areas, b) with extension enabled, still scrollbar is green. c) alternative with patched chromium.app where scrollbar is hidden, and no green repaints at all. I try to commit the patch (actually only 2 Lines of Code) to the official chromium git, but it might take a while to get access and get it approved. but in some weeks it might be part of normal chrome.app, so everybody can benefit from better scrolling experience. the code of this extension is also available on github: https://github.com/ayurmedia/fixfixed v0.1: initial v0.2: bugfixes v0.3: performance improvements + bugfixes. v0.4: fixed typo in comments v0.5: code cleanup and bugfixes, hopefully last version for today ;) v0.6: cleanup , optimizations v0.7: code optimization v0.8: implemented icon + badge-number for improved divs, also new options-page v0.9: optimized default setting. v1.0: reading css directly now and patching css. much more efficient and less false detect. v1.1: bugfixes, better parsing of css, respecting media-queries, reapplying transforms to reduce false positives. v1.2: bugfixes for subpixel-antializing. translateZ(0) forces grayscale antializing, so the css is now only applied during scrolling and removed when scrolling is finished. (during reading). v1.4: improved, option to turn off antializing fix which is faster, option for delay of antilizefix in milliseconds. (see options) This extension also works great in combination with "SmoothScroll" Extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/smoothscroll/nbokbjkabcmbfdlbddjidfmibcpneigj Please rate the extension and give feedback und bug-reports, this helps me to improve the extension. Greetings, Daniel
- (2019-09-14) Diet Water Gang: I just recently downloaded this extension on my Chromebook to see if it would work. It work ok and it didn't really speed up my computer. Overall It is a very good extension
- (2018-05-30) Руслан Товмасян: New extensions in chrome store for smooth scrolling. Working is beautiful.
- (2018-04-12) BLH BSIT: There use to be an addon that allowed 100% flexibility. Rate of scrolling, smoothness and more. I can't find it anymore. So I installed this. It is simple, of off button only. It works. My scrolling is 1:1 in that what I scroll, I get and expect. Thanks
- (2018-03-14) Paulo: Does what it says on the tin! Just upgraded my laptop for a high res one and chrome was struggling with the rendering of the scrolling when using the touchpad. It was really a pain to scroll through the pages. This plugin solved it and almost gives it an Apple/Macbook user experience. Only reason i'm not giving 5 stars is because the options and their labeling could be greatly improved.
- (2017-02-11) The options are weird. The extension's author uses zeroes and ones to enable / disable options, but uses them illogically. In binary, 1 = true and 0 = false. But looking at the options the extension author seems to use these settings at random with a 0 or 1 meaning different things for some settings than it does for others. Rather than just using an On / Off toggle. Which is a shame because it does seem to work once you wrestle enough with the terribly awkward settings menu.
- (2017-01-13) Thijmen Striekwold: ok
- (2016-12-04) Yash Verma: This is exactly what i wanted !! works like charm !!
- (2016-09-29) Сергей Болд: Sorry! Your Smooth Scrolling is great!
- (2016-09-03) Daniel Glasner: fairly sure it works, and quite well. Cheers!
- (2016-08-06) Luke Tarquinio: Fixed my frame rate issue when scrolling, great extension!
- (2016-04-21) Ketsuban Oficial: I really loved this, now my eyes aren't going to be slowly killed by the bad movement!
- (2016-02-10) Jaiba Mon: It works. It's pretty subtle, but it improves the smoothness of the scrolling. I am worried if this little hack can affect the memory/gpu of the PC, but for what it seems, there are no issues.
- (2015-09-01) FamKis: Does only work with touchpad OR touchscreen -- but not with both. Why is it that there seems not ONE Browser, Laptop or Touchpad that simply supports clean, simple, ballistic scrolling?
- (2015-08-01) Mu-Wei Kuo: Actually make my chrome smoother
- (2015-07-23) Selima Ontürk: absolutely no effect. uninstalled
- (2015-05-27) Wow, thank you
- (2015-07-22, v:1.2) 5silentrain: Another bug with "Smooth Scrolling with 60fps"
What is the expected behavior? 1 – http://jpegshare.net/16/bf/16bfa30f7e1d3ecd34e7cf48976e67b2.png.html 2 – http://jpegshare.net/f2/b8/f2b821ffa31578c383ace525b069f2f4.png.html Steps to reproduce the problem: 1 – http://jpegshare.net/b8/02/b8024c03741d875628edd13c776dd6fb.png.html 2 – http://jpegshare.net/f2/ca/f2ca6a083dbf196e7e0b0b1a773ca020.png.html Example: http://rutracker.org/forum/index.php
- (2015-07-18, v:1.2) 5silentrain: The mouse cursor will change after scrolling!
Screenshot 1: http://jpegshare.net/40/00/400073c89217667ba1a568c9584ac158.jpg.html Screenshot 2: http://jpegshare.net/24/18/241878d3afc008faabba68c73b8492af.jpg.html Example: http://nightmarish-dream.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=1089&view=findpost&p=231715 You can do so that when the scrolling stops, the cursor is returned to its original form?
- (2015-06-16, v:1.1) 5silentrain: About blurry text
Example: http://michellemorgan.net/home.php The extension is disabled: http://jpegshare.net/27/c3/27c30c0c92876dff57ddc412b5fb9981.png.html The extension is enabled: http://jpegshare.net/9c/ad/9cadc45bc9699b312b492c6b4144e751.png.html The extension is disabled: http://jpegshare.net/51/20/512039bf6f7b8260b27422478f521334.png.html The extension is enabled: http://jpegshare.net/ed/f3/edf3323c0ec60ff102bbda195130c4e7.png.html Subpixel antialiasing is turned off with your extension!!!
- (2015-04-19, v:1.1) Tomasz Gawlik: Blurry text
How to avoid getting text blurry when some element on page is "improved" by the extension? For example www.wykop.pl text gets fuzzy when enabled. Sometimes fonts in gmail also gets blurry.
- (2015-02-03, v:0.9) 5silentrain: o__O
One of the most complex sites to which everything slows down even if you enable your extension: http://femium.com/
- (2015-02-03, v:0.9) 5silentrain: ???
What is the probability that it will be in the official version of Chrome?!
- (2015-02-02, v:0.9) 5silentrain: Short description
Do, please, short description of your extension.
- (2015-01-31, v:0.7) 5silentrain: How about?
Maybe we should show your extension Google, to be finalized and implemented this feature by default?
- (2015-01-29, v:0.7) 5silentrain: Bug with background image!
Extension is turned on: http://jpegshare.net/8f/83/8f834bc541ba87e106285b0eeef116f4.jpg.html Extension is turned off: http://jpegshare.net/82/d8/82d868f44963a4a132bd9d527943530e.jpg.html Link to site: http://hotline.ua/computer-monitory/dell-u2414h/?tab=2
- (2015-01-24, v:0.7) 5silentrain: Bug on site http://html5test.com/