Replaces references to Donald Trump with more accurate descriptions.
This extension cleanses some of your web pages of the words "Donald Trump" and replaces them with funnier, more apt descriptors. It has lots of useful configurable features: * clean, dirty, or mixed insults * mock-o-matic auto-generated insults, including a Shakespearean "Bard" mode * optional conversion of Trump images to kittens, puppies, or bunnies * customizable / optional formatting of insults * set length restrictions on insults * set what fraction of Trumps get replaced * optional for lots of other common RWNJ's * optionally black-list websites you do not want Detrumpified or white-list websites you do want Detrumpified * ... and MUCH MUCH MORE! Props and Credits: -- The initial list of replacement names goes to Jezebel.com, which compiled a list of 70 such names for DT's birthday: http://theslot.jezebel.com/in-honor-of-donald-trumps-70th-birthday-here-are-70-wa-1781899319. They continue to expand their list: http://theslot.jezebel.com/every-description-jezebel-used-for-donald-trump-during-1772372244. I have gathered more names from around the web, and will add new ones as I find them. -- The image replacement idea came from "Trump Kittens" Chrome extension (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/trump-kittens/ccghcnenefcpjjikaalmfkafenlhagpn) *** NOTE *** If you are wondering why it doesn't work on a particular site: Detrumpify was designed not to interfere with you. By default it only runs on a whitelisted list of websites that are baked into the config file. If you want it to run on all websites, choose the "ignore whitelist" option. You can also generate your own blacklist of specific sites that the extension should *not* run in, by entering them into the blacklist. Versions 1.2.12 - allow users to hand-edit config again locally 1.2.11 - minor fixes for people using custom config files 1.2.10 - simplify the page running logic to allow user-editable whitelist or user-editable blacklist 1.2.8 - fix bug with hyphens in blacklist. Turn off debug messages in console 1.2.7 - new user configurable blacklist. Add type in hostnames for sites you don't want detrumpified, or click a button to add the current page to the list. 1.2.6 - click detrumpified images to see the original trumpy image 1.2.5 - new feature! "Bard Mode" under Mock-O-Matic. What would Shakespeare say? 1.2.4 - new feature! "Breaking News" Turn it on in the options! 1.2.3 - shows the original text on hover 1.2.2 - add FB page link 1.2.1 - bug with brand-new users 1.2.0 - puppy images, bunny images, config fetch by https, major cleanup and refactoring, remove option for editing config in the plugin (if you want to use a custom config, contact me for help!) 1.1.43 - bugfixes including frequency mode repaired 1.1.40 - new experimental "scan on change" mode which will capture asynchronous page updates 1.1.39 - bug with saving "run_anywhere", fix to allow trump replacements to include "trump" 1.1.38 - allow user to set fraction of T mentions that get replaced 1.1.37 - basic mock-o-matic and bugfixes to options 1.1.36 - use defaults for enabled actions if user has not set preferece 1.1.35 - added steve bannon (optional as always) 1.1.33 - add link for submitting new insults 1.1.32 - more kittens mode has more aggressive T image detection 1.1.31 - add option to run on *any* site (ignore whitelist) 1.1.30 - make options more compact 1.1.29 - optionally replace images with divs 1.1.28 - separate regex for much improved trump images replacement 1.1.27 - bug 1.1.26 - kittens or blank or off 1.1.24 - kittens in pictures 1.1.23 - code cleanup 1.1.22 - bug 1.1.21 - moves most common configuration out of config file, into options ui 1.1.20 - allow users to enable only parts of config 1.1.19 - skipped, never uploaded 1.1.18 - add UI to allow user to set insult styles 1.1.17 - new icons 1.1.16 - config UI cleanup 1.1.15 - access options page from icon 1.1.14 - fix minor bug with too frequent insult update checking 1.1.13 - add Pence, fix minor formatting problem 1.1.12 - rename so so that people searching for Detrumpify get the current version 1.1.11 - revert default configs from dropbox back to toolsofourtools.org 1.1.10 - clean up config page 1.1.9 - changed name 1.1.8 - added "Drumpf-mode" 1.1.7 - move actual fetching of config to event page to avoid content security policy restrictions 1.1.6 - change config format and content code to allow multiple search/replace combinations in one file 1.1.5 - fix trump regex to avoid converting trump-based neologisms - rewrite replace section to allow formatting of new replacement chunk - add ability for arbitrary quoted - manifest changes to help stop XHR / CSP problems (still not resolved) 1.1.4 - had to move config files to https because new rules do not let chrome access http from https websites. I don't want to pay for SSL cert, so using dropbox. 1.1.3 - allow user to edit json in plugin and not use external resource 1.1.2 - configs, force no cache config, configs can very change freq 1.1.1 - bug fixes 1.1.0 - initial upload This is an open-source project. Code can be found at https://github.com/djacobow/detrumpify
- (2020-10-21) KC Sheehan: Very thorough, reaching beyond headlines to subheads and text. This extension brings me life.
- (2020-08-24) Drake Zachman: this extension makes my day so much better. nothing like the slight confusion when im on twitter and forget its running. im so glad someone told me about this lol
- (2019-07-23) dti131: 100/10. Creative insults, makes for a good laugh.
- (2019-07-18) Shoyu: It works most of the time, but sometimes shows compliments instead. (Example: https://imgur.com/iafppzX)
- (2019-06-20) Kat Adler: I like to stay up to date on world news but seeing a certain regurgitated cheeto's name is triggering as the kids say. This makes staying up-to-date much more bearable and amusing. Now, if only there were an option to replace the pictures....
- (2019-05-28) James Hiner: can you please add John Bolton and Robert Mueller to the list of names
- (2019-05-04) Kenana Kurtović: Doesn't work
- (2018-11-11) Tj Vertigo: I'm not sure why, but it only works 20% of the time for me, but when it does work, it is everything.
- (2018-10-26) Leanne Yanabu: DeTrumpify makes the news bearable with creativity and levity. I've recommended it to friends, who love the idea. Great extension!
- (2018-10-17) eclipsespilce /əˈklips/spil/kē/: You made me able to read the news again without puking in my mouth, and swallowing it. You are doing the lord's work, if a lord existed.
- (2018-02-21) Gabby Milder: amazing
- (2018-01-02) Marc Schiffres: Fun extension, but definitely has some issues. First of all, and this is the most important, it screws up when trying to edit reddit comments that have an altered word. If I mention "Trump" in a comment, then go back to edit it, the entire text in the editing interface will blank. I also noticed that if you have the extension set to replace Conway, it will notice the last name. This is kinda weird for more common last names like this. I would recommend only scanning for her full name, which I would imagine is already done with Paul Ryan (I hope). Furthermore, I noticed that one of her nicknames is something along the lines of "possible Trump hostage", and then "Trump" is replaced by the extension, creating a double-substitution. This is actually a nice touch, albeit likely accidental. Finally, one slight change I'd recommend is making it so you can see the whole original text on hover. Instead of just "was trump", I'd like to see it tell me if the original text was "Trump", "Donald Trump", "Donald J. Trump". etc. It makes it easier if I need to copy and paste anything when quoting for a comment on a site like reddit.
- (2017-09-25) Danny Tam: Great extension, makes it not as annoying to go online. Can I ask the makers to make a Dekaradashian/jenner app too?
- (2017-09-16) Katherine Gamble: Really cheers me up. Soggy Burlap Sack comes up a bit much, but hey! My favorite is Racist Teratoma. I now scan the news for these!
- (2017-03-08) Robert Clark: Oh my god this is an hilarious extension! I can safely browse the web with a huge grin on my face instead of waiting silently for the apocalypse...
- (2017-03-07) Ruben Silva: I will never, ever remove this from my browser.
- (2016-12-16) Mel Bar: This has given me HOURS of enjoyment!
- (2016-12-14) H.A. Fowler: OMG this makes the news bearable again. Used with Make American Kittens Again, it makes the internet a much more pleasant place to be!
- (2016-09-30) Jazz Rocks: My personal fav: Cartoon Representation of Irritable Bowel Syndrome in a Pharmaceutical Ad. LOL
- (2016-08-13) Jody Ambrose: This ext is the only good thing to come out of this election cycle. "Orange Muppet" and the train-hopping corndog always makes my day! Only description I don't care for is "Monopoly Dog Balancing a Sponge Cake Atop His Head" because the dog is the best Monopoly piece and not lame enough. Also ruins spongecake, which is delicious.
- (2016-08-02) Alex Petrakis: This is the only chrome extension that matters anymore.
- (2016-07-31) Thomas Marren: Love this extension. It rids me of Trump and keeps me laughing all day...pure gold!!
- (2016-07-06) Doug T: Hello. I use Google Chrome and cannot get the extension to work on gawker.com. This makes me sad. Any tips? Thanks.
- (2016-07-02) Lisa Purvis: It's not working. :(
- (2016-06-30) Brian Y: I love it. I look forward to each new description I discover while reading my morning news. "Dishrag that on Closer Inspection is Alive with Maggots"
- (2020-05-07, v:1.2.12) James Hiner: name adding
can you please make insults for Dr Fauci
- (2019-07-03, v:1.2.12) James Hiner: name adding
can you please make insults for John Bolton
- (2018-10-29, v:1.2.10) Bolsonaro
I say leave Mueller and Cohen (too common a last name) alone for now. But can you please add Jair Bolsonaro? That would be nice. I'm sure we could work through posts with the #elenao hashtag to get an initial set of epithets. I mean alternative names.
- (2018-06-04, v:1.2.5) James Hiner: name adding
can you add Mueller, Cohen and Pai to the list
- (2017-08-08, v:1.1.41) Amy Kelso: Image replacement
I used the Make America Kittens Again extension, and then the Bunny My News extension before starting to use Detrumpify. The problem with substituting nice, sweet, adorable animals for *his* image is that now I associate nice, sweet, adorable animals with *him*!! Can you offer a more nefarious substitute, like an image of the devil, or Voldemort, or Darth Vader (I know copyright issues might be involved with the latter two). Just a suggestion to keep our PTSD in check and still enjoy kittens!
- (2017-01-25, v:1.1.31) Kittens not working?
Hi, Kitten pictures not working? I can still see his DayGlo roadside kill on every page I visit... Settings are set to Kittens. What's going on?
- (2016-11-18, v:1.1.17) michelle lupei: usability: visually tokenize replaced text by default
Since we're going to be stuck with your plugin* for the next 5 - t_i** years, it might improve usability to default to an alternate style on substituted text - like reducing font size or using a condensed font and adding an orange background. This would serve to visually tokenize the phrases that can be multiple lines long, improving readability without sacrificing our sanity. I'd think that wrapping the text with a span tag with a custom class would do the trick, then advanced users could change this through internal stylesheet mods if they wanted, rather than risk editing and possibly corrupting a custom config file. * not your fault, obviously, and no complaints about the plugin - thank you! ** t_ i = time to impeachment
- (2016-11-13, v:1.1.15) Nancy Kuhl: Detrumpify
Not a suggestion just a thank you to the genius programmer who wrote this code. It has literally saved my sanity!
- (2016-06-29, v:1.0.10) Wilson Lilburne: Highlight Insult
Hi could you put some sort of underline when you've changed something? I like to know when its the extension that's insulted him and when it's a fresh new insult from the articles author. THANKS!
- (2016-06-26, v:1.0.10) Jazz Rocks: CNN doesn't like it, rock the Casbah
It's not working on CNN. :)
- (2016-06-24, v:1.0.9) jm15: URL correction for Detroit News
Hi, the url for The Detroit News automatically redirects from detnews.com to detroitnews.com, so Detrumpify doesn't work there.