Replaces references to Donald Trump with more accurate descriptions.
This extension cleanses some of your web pages of the words "Donald Trump" and replaces them with funnier, more apt descriptors. It has lots of useful configurable features: * clean, dirty, or mixed insults * mock-o-matic auto-generated insults, including a Shakespearean "Bard" mode * optional conversion of Trump images to kittens, puppies, or bunnies * customizable / optional formatting of insults * set length restrictions on insults * set what fraction of Trumps get replaced * optional for lots of other common RWNJ's * optionally black-list or white-list websites you do or do not want Detrumpified * ... and MUCH MUCH MORE! Props and Credits: -- The initial list of replacement names goes to Jezebel.com, which compiled a list of 70 such names for DT's birthday: http://theslot.jezebel.com/in-honor-of-donald-trumps-70th-birthday-here-are-70-wa-1781899319. They continue to expand their list: http://theslot.jezebel.com/every-description-jezebel-used-for-donald-trump-during-1772372244. I have gathered more names from around the web, and will add new ones as I find them. -- The image replacement idea came from "Trump Kittens" Chrome extension (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/trump-kittens/ccghcnenefcpjjikaalmfkafenlhagpn) *** NOTE *** If you are wondering why it doesn't work by default on site X: Detrumpify was designed not to interfere with you. By default it only runs on a whitelisted list of websites that are baked into the config file. If you want it to run on any website, choose the "ignore whitelist" option. You can also generate your own blacklist of sites that the extension should *not* run in, by entering them into the blacklist Versions 1.2.12 -- re-enable direct editing of the configuration in the options menu. for advanced users only! 1.2.11 - minor improvements for people using custom config files 1.2.10 - rework whitelist/blacklist to be (hopefully) more straightforward, definitely more user-configurable 1.2.8 - fix bug with hyphens in blacklist. Turn of console debugspew 1.2.7 - new user configurable blacklist. Add type in hostnames for sites you don't want detrumpified, or click a button to add the current page to the list. 1.2.6 - click detrumpified images to see the original trumpy image 1.2.5 - new feature! "Bard Mode" under Mock-O-Matic. What would Shakespeare say? 1.2.4 - new feature! "Breaking News" Turn it on in the options! 1.2.3 - shows the original text on hover 1.2.2 - add FB page link 1.2.1 - bug with brand-new users 1.2.0 - puppy images, bunny images, config fetch by https, major cleanup and refactoring, remove option for editing config in the plugin (if you want to use a custom config, contact me for help!) 1.1.43 - bugfixes including frequency mode repaired 1.1.40 - new experimental "scan on change" mode which will capture asynchronous page updates 1.1.39 - bug with saving "run_anywhere", fix to allow trump replacements to include "trump" 1.1.38 - allow user to set fraction of T mentions that get replaced 1.1.37 - basic mock-o-matic and bugfixes to options 1.1.36 - use defaults for enabled actions if user has not set preferece 1.1.35 - added steve bannon (optional as always) 1.1.33 - add link for submitting new insults 1.1.32 - more kittens mode has more aggressive T image detection 1.1.31 - add option to run on *any* site (ignore whitelist) 1.1.30 - make options more compact 1.1.29 - optionally replace images with divs 1.1.28 - separate regex for much improved trump images replacement 1.1.27 - bug 1.1.26 - kittens or blank or off 1.1.24 - kittens in pictures 1.1.23 - code cleanup 1.1.22 - bug 1.1.21 - moves most common configuration out of config file, into options ui 1.1.20 - allow users to enable only parts of config 1.1.19 - skipped, never uploaded 1.1.18 - add UI to allow user to set insult styles 1.1.17 - new icons 1.1.16 - config UI cleanup 1.1.15 - access options page from icon 1.1.14 - fix minor bug with too frequent insult update checking 1.1.13 - add Pence, fix minor formatting problem 1.1.12 - rename so so that people searching for Detrumpify get the current version 1.1.11 - revert default configs from dropbox back to toolsofourtools.org 1.1.10 - clean up config page 1.1.9 - changed name 1.1.8 - added "Drumpf-mode" 1.1.7 - move actual fetching of config to event page to avoid content security policy restrictions 1.1.6 - change config format and content code to allow multiple search/replace combinations in one file 1.1.5 - fix trump regex to avoid converting trump-based neologisms - rewrite replace section to allow formatting of new replacement chunk - add ability for arbitrary quoted - manifest changes to help stop XHR / CSP problems (still not resolved) 1.1.4 - had to move config files to https because new rules do not let chrome access http from https websites. I don't want to pay for SSL cert, so using dropbox. 1.1.3 - allow user to edit json in plugin and not use external resource 1.1.2 - configs, force no cache config, configs can very change freq 1.1.1 - bug fixes 1.1.0 - initial upload This is an open-source project. Code can be found at https://github.com/djacobow/detrumpify
- (2019-09-12) Jim Anderson: This is the single greatest technological achievement of the last 200 years! Everyone needs this extension to make the internet safe and your mind sane.
- (2019-05-28) Chris Sherlock: Worked quite well for me...for awhile. I post frequently on an anti-Trump website on which it is possible to post links to tweets. Since yesterday, I have been unable to post links to tweets with the extension enabled. The process works just fine with the extension disabled. I'm not sure what changed.
- (2019-05-28) Paul Jacobs: It works. And it makes it possible to survive in our connected world in a country run by a man whose name will come to symbolize cruelty and stupidity compounded, the way xerox has come to mean copy.
- (2019-04-16) Lillian Swaim: Makes it easier to read anything on the internet.
- (2018-10-12) eclipsespilce /əˈklips/spil/kē/: The blockers didn't work, because I knew all the blank spaces were him. This made me laugh at the news again. You are doing a public service. And, please: add more as you find them. I printed out a "translated" news article, and passed it around the office, and it was better than donuts and kolaches.
- (2018-08-03) Ninjakitten: This extension helps keep me (relatively) sane. Sometimes there are false positives or false negatives for picture replacement, but it catches most of them, and now that you can change an image back by clicking on it, it's very easy to deal with the occasional times that (say) a graph or an editorial cartoon gets switched. With that addition, it's virtually perfect. The random-feline:45* ratio in my life is much improved!
- (2018-07-13) Erica Fahrlender: THANK YOU! He makes me physically ill when I see him. I wish I could use this on mobile, too.
- (2018-07-01) TheSqueak: Love it. It is childish but in the best possible ways. Really makes google searches, youtube and most news sites more entertaining. If only it worked for facebook.
- (2018-05-28) Kelly Macisaac: So hilarious!!!!
- (2018-05-25) Griffin Parker: Almost perfect, but I keep seeing a few [Paunchy, Reeling-ripe Clotpole] pictures. It is working perfectly on everything else, though. It really helps to not be depressed in times of (not quite) 'crisis.' Note: the 'breaking' thing about him being a big, fat tardigrade is an insult to tardigrades across the planet. You are insulting an entire phylum of animals.
- (2018-04-04) Curt Fennell: Nothing practical, but lots and lots of fun. Works very well, too, unlike some other anti-trump extensions.
- (2018-01-24) Tomas Ohlson: I love this plugin :D
- (2017-02-06) Janelle Bouchard: FREAKING AMAZING!!!!! I downloaded this extension, and enabled "kittens". No regrets. Sharing with everyone I have ever known!!!!!!!!
- (2017-01-22) Melle O: Hilarious and creative. I needed something to help raise my dopamine levels, and this helps! :)
- (2017-01-21) Ani Vasion: This is awesome. It's going to be a long 4 years but with this, it just got a little easier to take.
- (2016-12-23) paul mundy: great
- (2016-11-11) clem pavey: Makes the news a lot more entertaining, which we sorely need right now. Only trouble is I forget I have it on and end up wondering why there's an article about a 'decomposing tangerine' :)
- (2016-07-14) V S: It's great when it works, which seems to be about 15% of the time. Most of the time the name is unfiltered. Which sucks. Because I can't filter him in real life so I would at least like to filter him on my screen :/
- (2019-11-05, v:1.2.12) Robert Smith: Can you block all fascist US politicians?
Can you block all fascist US politicians: Democrats and Republicans, please!!??
- (2018-10-17, v:1.2.8) BJ Lanier: Not working on any sites today
Still allowing the name that shall not be named on sites like WTOP.com, Gizmodo, and Deadline.com. Works for CNN though. Not sure of any other news sites.
- (2018-10-10, v:1.2.8) Audrey Johnson: Help
This isn't working for me! What's the problem?
- (2018-08-30, v:1.2.6) Lucas Prado: Anti Communist extension?
Can you make a anti-communist extension?
- (2018-08-30, v:1.2.6) Lucas Prado: Anti Communist extension?
Can you make a anti-communist extension?
- (2018-07-13, v:1.2.5) Ninjakitten: Mostly great!
My only problem is that sometimes a picture is replaced that isn't actually 45*, and since there's no way to (for example) right-click and say 'change back' or 'reveal' or something, I have to change the image replacement to 'leave images alone' and reload the page. That's okay, but it's really difficult to get the extension to accept 'different kittens' again afterward. I have to try over and over, and today have given up and gone with standard kittens because at least it's willing to give me that one instead of going back to __off__ every time I close the dropdown. But that aside, it's pretty great.
- (2018-06-15, v:1.2.5) Griffin Parker: Messes with Conway's Game of Life
I recognize that there is a person causing problems with the last name Conway. But there was a person long before that who created a program called Conway's Game of Life, one of the simplest life simulators in the world. I find this somewhat annoying, but it isn't really much of a problem.
- (2018-05-21, v:1.2.5) Griffin Parker: Not replacing all pictures
I am on NPR, and it seems to be struggling to replace all of the pictures there. It is working for most of the pictures and all of the mentions of all of the names and those who you gave the option to replace in addition, and I have it set to work on all sites replacing pictures. Otherwise, it is perfect.
- (2016-12-19, v:1.1.30) Nathan Ruggles: Not working
The extension is not working on Google news and NPR websites (unlike the Drumpfinator extension.) I am disabling until it is fixed.
- (2016-08-30, v:1.1.13) Detrumpify isn't working
Great, when it works. Which is like, never.