Reading comfortably with inverted brightness but preserved hue
This extension eases your eyes by inverting the brightness of every webpage you browse. The majority of websites mainly use very light colors, but some already have a refreshing dark theme. For these the user can disable the domain, essentially setting it on a blacklist of the application. Its goal is, in contrast to the approach of creating new webpage–specific templates, to be as general as possible. This is best achieved by applying the CSS filter invert to the document root, because it inverts the whole area in one swoop after it got rendered normally instead of going through every element. This is even more efficient because CSS filters rely on the browser implementation, meaning all the good stuff like hardware acceleration or other system specific optimizations. Images should still show normally, but single elements cannot be excluded from the filter. This is no problem, since they can just get inverted on their own before the whole document gets inverted, reverting the images to their original color. To preserve the visual appearance of websites which may be iconic like the blue theme of Facebook, another filter is applied that rotates the hue back by 180 degrees. However, due to certain limitations of the RGB color model, very saturated colors get clipped in their value component that would have to exceed the maximum, resulting in occasional weird–looking images after they got reverted. Where an exact representation is needed, the hue–rotation can be disabled. [TODO] more ideas to be implemented in future releases are: — serve options page to input custom CSS rules to optimize other websites — friendly ui for options page (e.g. click [+] to add a rule, specify the case e.g. as regex, input CSS to be applied into text field) — keyboard shortcuts for enabling/disabling on domain and more — (maybe) make only–invert option domain specific — (maybe) optionally stop inverting input text fields — (do YOU have an idea? contact me!) [KNOWN BUGS] — (confirmed for Chrome) Prints get heavily pixelated when NightReader is enabled (even with "enabled globally" unchecked). There might be a possible fix in a future Version. Workaround: disable Extension for printing [CHANGELOG] [Version 1.7.41] fix for changed Twitter CSS improvements and tweaks for YouTube, Twitch, Twitch Beta, Wikipedia, TED and Bandcamp [Version 1.7.4] made popup visually respond like websites (bg + css filter) adjustment for new YT theme (and other domains) updated preset blacklist [Version 1.7.3] Updated predefined custom rules for twitch.tv (not inverting the dark theme) added predefined custom rules for bandcamp.com [Version 1.7.2] Fixed/improved some of the predefined custom rules added message encouraging feedback [Version 1.7.1] Bugfix: extension won't install because options page (WIP) was referenced but not found because it got excluded when packing extension [Version 1.7] First public release of Night Reader Working: - inverting webpages via css filter at earliest possible stage (when loading a webpage) - inverting images etc. back to display normally - hue-rotating by 180 deg to achieve a brightness invert effect/preserving hues to keep the visual appearence as close to the original as possible - global quick extension disable switch - domain based blacklist managed by user - hidden CSS rules to further enhace and smoothen some features of a couple of popular websites like Facebook and Twitter - hue-rotation disable switch as workaround for loss of color information with very saturated colors
- (2020-03-04) Marcos: Exactly what you expect. It really gives a much more comfortable reading experience. Thanks a lot.
- (2019-11-19) Scott Cook: I've used this for 2 minutes and it appropriately flips colors to dark-mode on all my favorite sites. Well done.
- (2019-11-03) Faiad Sharif: This is really good. The only thing to improve is that it doesn't work when viewing pdfs.
- (2019-09-10) SHAAH HAMEED: It works on Google pages incl Google images Replaced Dark theme for Google and another chrome extension Very underrated
- (2019-05-21) Kurtis Collins: would not darken my padges did not work
- (2019-05-07) Mohit G: Really like this extension. I find it very useful for most of the sites. I want to make some feature requests: 1. Ability to import/export site settings. 2. Ability to apply dark effect to selected elements on page. 3. Better application on images (to prevent them from getting inverted).
- (2019-01-30) Roger: Been jumping around different dark mode extensions and so far this is the only one that has been working on all of my work sites without breaking anything. Amazing job on this!
- (2019-01-13) Ân Đỗ: What a wonderful extension! Really love it!
- (2018-10-16) Luca Bravi: Very good job, Patrick! Many thanks, Luca.
- (2018-09-28) 插畫者: pretty good
- (2018-09-23) Rodrigo A. Cruz: Me gustaría que también funcionara en la página inicial de Chrome. Por lo demás, es la mejor que he probado!
- (2018-08-04) Am I empTEA: Ну опять, инверсит все подряд, и картинки и видео -_-
- (2018-07-30) Piotr Kołodziejski: Próbowałem Dark Reader, Stylus i Tempermonkey, ale w każdym przypadku miałem jakieś "ale". Np. niedziałająca wtyczka Pinterest, zepsute obrazki na stronach, pokitfaszone menu, za dużo skomplikowanej konfiguracji. NIGHT READER jest prosty, szybki i przez to skuteczny. Polecam!
- (2018-07-09) Jose Betancourt: Like said, it'd be nice if there was a hotkey for on and off, other than that it's probably the best one available in the whole store so 100% recommended.
- (2018-05-26) Marcus Otterström: Great job, works perfectly with Google docs, drive & presentations. The actual presentation images look exactly the same, but the sides are dark, just like you want it to be. Other extensions invert all the colors, which makes your entire presentation looks weird. Thanks a lot for this! <3
- (2018-03-19) Mike Costello: very good and useful <3
- (2017-11-15) 王佳欣: very nice, I use it for firefox and chrome!
- (2017-08-11) 1 0: If you can set the color reversal on / off hotkey, this program will be perfect
- (2020-05-04, v:1.7.41) serendip42: JupyterLab colors
I used your tool with JupyterLab. And it worked pretty well. But now the color in between the windows that is kinda grey turns pretty bright. It was better before.
- (2020-04-04, v:1.7.41) 1 2: YouTube thumbnail time display is gone
The time display at the bottom right of the thumbnail.
- (2020-03-08, v:1.7.41) Joan Hammond: screwed up my hue aye?
now what do i do?
- (2019-06-06, v:1.7.41) Ben Dilley: Exclude elements of the DOM per domain
It would be great to be able to specify that certain elements of the DOM are excluded from the inversion, e.g. where a site's menu bar is already dark, I'd like it to stay that way while the brightness of the rest of the page is inverted. github.com is an example of this. As an initial implementation, you could (hopefully simply) allow someone familiar with CSS selectors to be able to specify an exclusion string, but for improved UI in a future release, maybe extensions are able to utilise Chrome's inspector somehow to allow a user to hover over elements before selecting them? (I've never looked into this myself, just speculating).
- (2019-03-11, v:1.7.41) Fae B.: "Enabled On This Domain" Not Working
The option to enable/disable the extension on certain domains isn't working. I've had this extension for a long time, and this only started happening recently. Clicking it on/off again does nothing, nor does refreshing the page. Only the option to enable/disable the fitler globally works. I just have no idea what's happening. Please send help.
- (2018-12-10, v:1.7.41) Elijah Beale: Implement Regex based exclude list?
This night reader is my favorite, but it does suffer from the common issue that other night readers do: no user interface to add custom exclude rules with regexes. Case: I'm using Repl.it disabled for the Repl.it domain, but the Repl.it viewport (for web stuff) does not follow the domain pattern for Repl.it (see here: https://FloatPropertyExercise--zetaomegagon.repl.co), so my view port has inverted colors which is no good for web dev. I end-up having to disable it globally and re-enabling it when not working on web dev (In a class, so web dev is approx 20-30hrs/wk).
- (2018-09-18, v:1.7.41) Jacob Miller Otxoavallee: dark mode inconsistency
greetings the black background inconsistency keeps defaulting or reverting back to the blinding white background im having to set it back from page to page within the ebay app and other apps. i am using a LG Chromebase all-in-one 22 inch desktop.
- (2018-09-14, v:1.7.41) eyes
how to disable for burns eye sight.Night mode with basic no bright colors ,black background white letters
- (2018-08-07, v:1.7.41) Faizul Ramjohn: BRIGHTNESS
HOW CAN I INCREASE AND ALSO CHANGE THE COLOR CONTRAST??
- (2018-08-02, v:1.7.41) Devesh Kumar: enable specific domain
In Linux ubuntu distribution enabling for specific domain is not working, though when I'm enabling it globally, it is working perfectly. I love the extension but this problem some time very annoying. Thanks
- (2018-06-13, v:1.7.41) George Montanaro: option to disable for print
I just printed something with a black background by accident. I can't imagine many users install this add-on to get that feautre. There should "print in normal colors" option.
- (2017-11-08, v:1.7.41) text field
Nice work... congratulations. My suggestion is to not invert input text fields... or make it optional. In Firefox on Linux, text fields often gets the same color for foreground and background. Thank you. Silvio
- (2017-10-30, v:1.7.41) Vitaly Zdanevich: Bad at mail.yandex.ru
Hi, please check on mail.yandex.ru (you will need an account).