Local network printing for Chrome and Chromebooks
Finally reliable local network printing for Chromebooks is possible. This Chrome extension allows you to print directly to compatible network printers or a CUPS print server from Chrome and Chromebooks. No Cloud Print required. Key features: Multiple printer support Printer compatibility check Offline help page Landscape, multiple copy printing Now supports more printers via PWG and Unirast (Airprint) formats Known limitations: It does not automatically find printers on the network, you need to know the IP address and IPP path for the printer (consult your printer documentation & help section in the extension). ** Search the store for 'WiFi printer driver for Chromebooks' which offers auto-detection of printers ** Your feedback and bug reports are welcome: [email protected] CUPS, Airprint and the CUPS logo are trademarks of Apple Inc. PLEASE NOTE that this application is not affiliated with or supported by Google or any of the printer manufacturers whose printer models are listed above.
- (2021-03-27) Gary Volk: THANK YOU! My chromebook used to print to my printer attached to Raspberry Pi, latest chromeOS updates broke this. Chromebook still saw the printer, looked like it sent the print job to the printer, but nothing came out. This extension fixed all of this in seconds.
- (2021-03-26) Lucian C.: Works! That's what matters. If you know your IP address, that's all you need. I noticed that even if you get a Fail message when you do the "i" test, the printer still prints. Thank you!!!!
- (2020-12-19) Adrian Walton: Developer doesn't seem to respond or even acknowledge questions or problems...
- (2020-12-03) Da Boogie Woogie: Gentoo Linux, HP 1320n - worked!
- (2020-11-26) Dave P: Since Google is discontinuing Cloud Print at the end of the year I was looking for other chromebook printing solutions for my Brother HL-L2380DW. This extension works flawlessly. Had I known, I would have been using this from the start instead of dealing with buggy Google Cloud Print.
- (2020-10-08) Jean-Christophe Uhl: ça marche super et c'est bien mieux que Google Cloud Print ! Bravo
- (2020-09-26) barbara velez: downloaded from store. followed directions. It recognized my Canon TS3122 and saved it to printers in advanced settings. I tried to print , pop up came up I clicked on pop up .The only thing I had to do was put TS3100 in the name box. and put printers IP address in Ipp box. I got that from the printer by pressing the Info button 2 or 3 times . Printer printed out all info about itself including ip address.10.0.0.221 click save and print. This is the first and only C Book I ever got printing. This is a fantastic help. It says 30 day trial, if its not too much I 'll keep it Thanks every one for your talent and hard work.
- (2020-09-10) Pete H: It doesn't support authentication, therefore you can only use it with local printers, not internet exposed printers with a username/password.
- (2020-09-10) Marcelo Lopez: Sees the printer, configues fine....doesn't print. Nada....zero...zilch.
- (2020-08-05) hoge hoge: It would be nice if the printing order could be reversed!
- (2020-07-30) D Brown: So grateful to find this! I was able to add the extenstion to my parents' Chromebook and print to their Brother MFC430W printer within 5 minutes. A little bit of a learning curve using the extension and adjusting settings in the Chromebook, but no big deal. My parents are thrilled to be able to print directly from their Chromebook again! (Not sure why Chrome or Brother couldn't manage to do this for their customers!) Thank You!! :)
- (2020-04-15) PS: Works, sort of... I could print, but all print jobs came from the secondary tray, as 4x6 images. If I were printing photos, it would have been fine, but the job was configured as letter to print Google Docs business letters.
- (2020-02-09) Matthieu Bucchianeri: Worked in minutes
- (2019-12-31) Sathvik Sriram: It almost works.. Adding the local printer works nicely by auto detecting the correct model number of my brother MFC-J435W brother, and the test result is a PASS. Then trying to print a document actually seems to be sent out.. the print message from chrome show the doc as being printed, except physical printer did not receive or print anything. I wish this worked !
- (2019-12-07) Andrew K: After learning that google cloud print would be discontinued, I spent way too much time trying to get my chromebook to print to my CUPS printer that was working with every other OS I tried. After giving up, I installed this extension, and it just worked.
- (2019-11-30) Barnaby Dillon: Worked with Brother MFC-J425w but had to add manually and select unirast.
- (2019-08-08) Ashlie Lewis: need better instructions
- (2019-07-02) Mark Dm: I am somewhat confused. I have a Raspberry PI Print server running CUPS on Linux. I decided to take the challenge and tested with Chromium OS (note not Chrome OS), the open source version. Chromium automatically recognized the printers on the PI but I never was able to print not even selecting Generic PDF , nor Postscript drivers worked from Chromium . Then I installed this and wow thank you! I was then able to configure a printer on Chromium OS and complete a print job. Maybe some day Google will fiinally get some things right but I doubt that will me in my lifetime . If CUPS is integrated to Chrome OS then why is this even needed? Also Chrome needs a way to turn off auto detection of CUPS printers.
- (2019-06-27) paul carpenter: If you don't know IPP address you probably can get printer to tell you. On my machine, pushing stop/clear button for certain number of seconds gives much information. See instructions for your machine. I found addresses under "Network Configuration" category. Here are "IP Address," "SubNet Mask" and "Default Gateway." Manufacturer gives another "IP Address." You also may find "IPP Information" with "Printer URI" and other categories such as "Default Gateway," which involves similar numbers. The key for me was "IP Address" under "TCP/IPv4 Information." Using that number worked. worked OK until IPP changed. After getting new IP it worked; however, at first I used "Auto" successfully, then I changed to "raster" and it's OK. If you have a second printer I believe it is helpful or necessary to give it a different name.
- (2019-05-18) Za Za Channel Nana X3: I gave it 4 starts, because it works great. Could not go to 5 stars, because I'm computer savvy. I know where to find the IP address and troubleshoot connectivity issues. For those that are not computer savvy, simply add the print app to your phone and you can easily locate the ip address in the setup. Good Luck! It's worth the small headache.
- (2019-04-06) Neesha Oneofakind: love it thank you
- (2019-03-29) Thank you for developing this extension! I have been pulling my hair out over my printer cutting off the top of everything (Google Doc, pdf, everything) that I send wirelessly from my Chromebook. I have been searching and searching for a solution and nothing worked until I found this extension. My only advice is to make the instructions for setting up your printer a little more user friendly. I managed to get the extension to work but I felt like the instructions were like reading a foreign language because I am not an IT professional. Having more photos in the instructions might help and or more user friendly instructions. From my printer, I could scroll through the menu settings and find the IP address (not the IPP address) and it only gave me a long string of numbers: 192.168.100.005 which I had to then think to add to "http://192.168.100.005:631/" I tried it and it worked! I am not sure others will think to do that. It would have been helpful if you would have said something like (with photos too): After you install the extension, 1)Click on the "Cupps Extension icon" on the top right corner of your screen 2) Select "Manage printers" 3) On the PRINT MANAGEMENT scroll down to "Add/edit printer" and enter: (a) Name: (whatever you want to call your printer) (b) IPP Address: http://***.***.***.***:631/ (***.***.***.*** = this is the "IP address" for your printer) For me I had to scroll through my printer menu. . .Network. . .WLAN. . .TCP/IP. . .IP Address. . . 192.168.100.005 (***.***.***.***) I hope that helps other people. THANK YOU!!! I am very grateful for this extension!!!!!!!!
- (2019-03-19) Patricie Macková: I am excited that there is one application on the Chrome store that works at first try!! I print from Google disc to Canon MG 6440 on home wi-fi network.
- (2019-03-07) Denis Loughlin: fallowed along ok but still not connecting not sure if IP address is righthow do you get the printers IP
- (2019-02-07) So much information out here and not enough solutions. Your system is the solution for novelists like me.
- (2019-02-03) Neil Passage: Thanks so much. Printing on a chromebook has been the bane of my existence for years, esp. envelopes. I've devoted countless hours to speaking very unkindly about anyone assoicated with chromebooks, computers and the universe in general, trying to print an envelope with my chromebook. You've taken care of that with "Number 10 " paper size.
- (2019-01-25) Summers Fucked: doesnt work
- (2019-01-15) Nicholas Cover: took a while but its good
- (2019-01-09) Ken Gilmore: Worked for me straight out of the box with a Brother HL-4570CDW via IPP. Based on reading other reviews, I just made sure to enter the IP address with full http://x.x.x.x protocol.
- (2018-09-07) John Laman: It is too small and too fast to be of help.
- (2018-09-03) Francisca Garcia: excellent
- (2018-08-26) Eleanor Lewis: Works well although the one thing missing in the brief instructions is that the extension puts an icon in the menu bar and that's where you put the IPP address. Yes, OK, I'm probably just stupid but in case there are others faced with the same problem, that's where you set up your printer. After that it's pretty straightforward assuming you've found the IP address of your printer/CUPS server. Just put in a printer name and the appropriate IPP address eg mine is: http://192.168.1.96:631 You can delete the default "My printer".
- (2018-08-26) Vincent Baldassano: Thanks! Worked immediately. It is easy: just go to manage your printer and overwrite the example in the address with the printer IP address with HTTP://your printer IP address. I have an older Brothers Printer which is cloud ready but I have had no problems with cloud printing. I figure I would just add this extension to have backup to print.
- (2018-08-13) Darci Erickson: it printed gobble-d-gook
- (2018-07-25) lenny dixon: My Canon TS3150 would not print at all using the official Canon app from the Google play store. But after adding this extension it now prints.It has a nice section that test your printer for compatibility before you add the extension. Good app.
- (2018-07-21) deirdre bellomo: Recognizes printer but doesn't print.
- (2018-07-18) Scott Dean: This was exactly what I needed! I had spent time trying to get CUPS printing to work directly through the Chromebook printer interface without success. Then I found this extension and 3 minutes later, I was printing. Instructions on setup worked perfectly for me... Gave it a name and pasted in the URL, hit the save button. Clicked the test button, got a pass result, and now I can print! Thanks!!
- (2018-06-30) Urs Bolt: It works! It took me twice with trying out how to enter the IP address (it was http:// not https://). I needed it because I stupidly bought a Brother printer model CL3142CW which isn't on the Google Cloud Print list. And I want my Chromebook to work. Thanks 1000x!
- (2018-06-06) Buck Downs: Cryptic instructions, can't tell what I'm doing wrong, finally I have to blame the developer, b/c it does not work at all.
- (2018-05-26) Gerard Manse: After using Google Cloud Print whereby the printer was online and then offline multiple times, I got tired of fixing it. Found this extension. Set up was so easy. Name your printer, find the IPP address (printer will print this out) and it was ready to print.
- (2018-05-20) Jürgen Gutekunst: works perfectly with my Epson Printer
- (2021-07-19, v:0.1.34) Edwin Jones: Who wrote this extension?
Hi there. I've had this extension installed for a long time and I was under the impression it was freeware by a single author. Now it says it's provided by directprint.io - is this correct? Did the original author sell this extension and if so is the source code still available? Thanks, Edwin.
- (2021-07-08, v:0.1.34) Brian Hall: Brother HL-1210W Series Printer Incompatibilty Problem
When I run the compatibility test it fails with " no PDF, PWG or octet support" although the printer settings report show both LPD and IPP are enabled. Have you come across this problem with Brother printers and is there a known fix? The printer doesn't look as though it's able to have any setting changes made. Thanks.
- (2021-07-02, v:0.1.34) Chris Parker: IPP/CUPS Extension
Where do I configure this? I've added the extension, but how do I give it my printer's IP address?
- (2021-06-01, v:0.1.34) BAE Grace: Printer receives data but no printed document (Working with Brother MFC-J835DW)
I added your extension in order to print from Google Chrome. Working with a brand new 2020 Chromebook. My old Brother Printer Model MFC-J835DW unfortunately is not compatible with Google Chrome. I installed your extension. I read through users comments in order to figure out how to add my printer. From what I read I click on the black puzzle piece (aka extension) in chrome browser in the upper right hand. I clicked on IPP/CUPS printing from Chrome. I clicked on managed printers. I added my printer by creating a name (just used my model name) and then added IP address by typing http://xxx.xxx.x.xx. (x's of course were the printer's IP address per the printed out network configuration). I then clicked on the little blue "i" for test print. I get that it passed. Here are the results:Printer make/model: enBrother MFC-J835DW Printer state: idle Accepting jobs: true IPP server version: 1.1 Supports PDF natively: false Supports PWG raster: false Supports Postscript: false Supports Unirast: true Supports application/octet-stream: true CUPS server: No Compatability report: PASS Printer should be compatible - try printing ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I then go to chrome and select print. It shows the web page to print. The default printer is the IPP/CUPS. The data is sent to my brother printer and then nothing. It shows completed but no print outs. What am I missing? What other steps or data input do I need to do to get this to print out? Thanks.
- (2021-04-09, v:0.1.34) Bern Philipp: Label Printers?
I need to print to a thermal label printer. I suppose that doesn't matter, as long as I have the IP address. Normally, these printers require software installation, but from what I've read, this should be able to bypass that, correct? Looking at either a Brother or a Dymo thermal label printer. Thanks!
- (2021-03-28, v:0.1.34) kishor galnimbkar: how to connect epson L220 PRINTER, AND HOW TO GIVE PRINT FROM ANDROID MOBILE
how to connect epson L220 PRINTER, AND HOW TO GIVE PRINT FROM ANDROID MOBILE
- (2021-03-10, v:0.1.34) N. Maas: Printer drukt niet af
Goedendag, Ik kon de extensie zonder problemen aan mijn Chromebook toevoegen. Mijn Chromebook herkent mijn Canon MG4250 printer. Als ik probeer af te drukken, krijg ik een melding "afdrukken" en onmiddellijk een bericht met de melding "afdrukken voltooid". Bij de afdruktaken staat afgedrukt, maar de er is niets afgedrukt. Hoe kan ik dit oplossen?
- (2021-02-24, v:0.1.34) Janice Perry: Canon pixma MG2900 issues
My chromebook recognizes my printer. When I call to print, I get a message that says "printing" and immediately get a message saying "printing completed", with the printer not printing anything. In the print que it looks like everything has printed.
- (2021-02-21, v:0.1.34) Paula Allan: Samsung C43x Series - fails to print
Hi, I have successfully connected to the printer and performed the test which was a PASS. However the printer seems to receive the instruction, can see lights flashing but then does not print anything. The CUPS printer log shows that the job completed. Anything I can try?
- (2021-02-18, v:0.1.34) Paul Calabrese: Canon MX922 Printer
HI there, Hope all is well. I was able to add the app to my chromebook with no problem. However, as others have reported who own the Canon MX922 printer it only recognizes the top tray and not the tray with 8.5 by 11 paper. At least with the app it communicates with the printer. The CUPS extension was successful, but I receive a message that the job was printed but the printer does nothing. Are there any fixes in the works? Are there any setting that need to be changed on my end o make the printer respond properly? Or am I out of luck because of the brand of printer and model? Thank you for a fast response and any help you can provide.
- (2021-02-16, v:0.1.34) Michelle: Printing over Internet
When Google Cloud Print was available I was able to sit at home and print lesson plans to the printer at work which is a Xerox VersaLink C505 but the guy who installed it was able to add my Chromebook for me. It used to show up in my available printers under its address. Now that Cloud Print is gone it shows up in the list as Xerox C505. I have the address, protocol, queue, uri and an end user licence agreement. I was successful in adding my home printer! and I am not a techie. I just can not get this one to add.
- (2021-01-05, v:0.1.34) alain sonney: connecter mon imprimante
ou trouver l adresse IP de mon imprimante?
- (2020-12-31, v:0.1.34) Robert Palestine: CUPS only prints from upper cassette on PIXMA M922
I configured CUPS?IPP for my Canon Pixma MX922 but only the upper paper cassette is recognized When will this be fixed?
- (2020-12-23, v:0.1.34) Claire Kostopulos Nackoney, Ed.D.: Printing Beginning January 2021
How will basic Chromebook users be able to print documents after December 2021. I am retired and am not affiliated with an organization with an IT department that can help with this conundrum.
- (2020-12-23, v:0.1.34) Claire Kostopulos Nackoney, Ed.D.: Printing from Chromebook
I am a basic "home" Chromebook user with no real technical savvy. What will be available for people like me to use to print documents from our Chromebooks come January 2021. What good is the device if one can no longer print from it?
- (2020-12-19, v:0.1.34) Adrian Walton: Chromebook OS v87 Update seems to have broken this
Since the ChromeOS 87 update, my system will only send 50% of any print job... doesn't matter how many pages... using HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format Printer, two paper trays. And this app still doesn't recognize or allowance user to choose a tray.
- (2020-12-17, v:0.1.34) Claire Yates: Canon MG3050
Hi there I've been trying to work out if I'll be able to print for weeks and came across this fab extension. I can't seem to get it to work though and it states "can't fetch data". I have a fairly old Canon Pixma MG3050, and it already seems to have stopped working. I will probably have to buy a new one - but I'm getting mixed messages on which canon printers will support chrombebooks. I have tried to look at "CUPS" and I'm going cross eyed trying to work out how I'm supposed to get the full IP address of my printer - I have the first bit. Any advice would be hugely appreciated Thanks Claire
- (2020-12-10, v:0.1.34) Adrian Walton: For HP OfficeJetPro - 7740
Hi... like many printers, I have two trays. This extension easily connects with my printer, and it offers lots of paper sizes, but it's not really useful when it only seems to recognise one of the paper trays...
- (2020-12-09, v:0.1.34) Doris Torigoe: Canon Pixma MX922 doesn't print from bottom tray at all
When I use this extension on my Chromebook with my Canon Pixma MX922 printer for standard web pages and such it uses only the upper paper tray that is sized for photo cards and never the bottom tray where letter-size paper is loaded into - this needs to be fixed ASAP as the Google Cloud Print service built into my own MX922 is about to be rendered useless on New Year's Day 2021, and I could really use this extension on a full time basis!
- (2020-11-14, v:0.1.34) Rob Gibbon: Canon MG5550 Problem
I connected to my printer with your extension using the IPP Address, http://192.168.0.16:631/ipp/print and this produced the following information from the printer Printer information Printer make/model: Canon MG5500 series Printer state: idle Accepting jobs: true IPP server version: 1.1 Supports PDF natively: false Supports PWG raster: false Supports Postscript: false Supports Unirast: true Supports application/octet-stream: true CUPS server: No Compatability report: PASS Printer should be compatible - try printing All good so when I tried to print a window appears to say it's printing but nothing comes out of the printer. Can you help?
- (2020-11-08, v:0.1.34) David Roush: Brother HL-L8360cdw Printer
I installed this extension and attempted to add a brother HL-L8360cdw printer. I tried entering both "http://" in front of my printer's IP address as well as "https"//" and when I clicked on test it was unable to communicate. I also tried changing the printer type from autodetect to pdf, etc and none of these were able to communicate with the printer. Any ideas of things to try, or is this just not a compatible printer ?
- (2020-10-20, v:0.1.34) Geoff Smart: No printer output.
Have added CUPS printer via your extension, selected TEST, it returns....Printer make/model: enBrother MFC-J4610DW Printer state: idle Accepting jobs: true IPP server version: 1.1 Supports PDF natively: false Supports PWG raster: false Supports Postscript: false Supports Unirast: true Supports application/octet-stream: true CUPS server: No Compatability report: PASS Printer should be compatible - try printing but when i try printing NOTHING comes out! plus i cannot see how i can view the print queue - please advise
- (2020-06-07, v:0.1.34) John Allan: Printing
Printing from this device, a Dell Chrome, to an HP Deskjet 3637 is impossible. I wish to return this product to Backmarket. PLUS there is no delete button. I'd appreciate a refund. John Allan [email protected],com 314-805-4966
- (2020-05-17, v:0.1.34) ken osman: Printer Xerox Workcentre 3335 Achieved Pass on TesT but Wont PRINT
I set up IPP/CUPS and the Test facility showed PASS. On trying to print a page it printed out "PDF Error : INVALFONT Cant print this document (error code 11-1515)". What can I do now?
- (2020-05-03, v:0.1.34) Henrik Sölver: Duplec printing always flips along short edge
I have a Brother DCP-9020CDW. When doing duplex prints they are always flipped along the short edge even if long edge is selected. Except for this issue this extension works very well.
- (2020-03-09, v:0.1.34) Frank Vandemark: Print problem Brother mfc-j410w
I have win 10 pc with brother wireless printer on local network which works fine. I have chromebook (new to chrom OS) and have chromebook on same network. Been using cloud print, but now looking for alternative. I downloaded extension. Selecting extension and manage printers, i enter printer ip address, and when i test, i get error code "typeerror failed to fetch" When i try to print from email, ipp/cups printer choice appears, but give "cannot contact printer" Am i doing something wrong, or will it now work with this printer. Any info appreciated. [email protected]
- (2020-01-30, v:0.1.34) Mary Harper: won't print
I can't print.
- (2020-01-26, v:0.1.34) Yoshiro MIHIRA: Canon MG6200 issue
I use IPP / CUPS printing for Chrome & Chromebooks v0.1.34 on Chromebook(cloudready) 78.4.3. I have the Canon Printer MG6200 series. From Printer information, Printer supported PDL is only Unirast. If I set "Printer type: Auto detect," no output[NG]. Even I set Unirast as Printer type; the output image is smaller than expected[NG]. And also if I set Black and White mode, the output image is always color[NG]. If I print the same PDF from iPhone, there is no issue. sample PDF https://www.arachne.jp/pdfcalendar/pdf/common/monday-start_strong-colors_2020.pdf NG output https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NO0Xn_kgTX7di8hT8S8pRH2mn_xYCiVp
- (2019-12-09, v:0.1.34) michael westfall: printer
i wish to cancel this as it does not work
- (2019-09-13, v:0.1.34) Ro Mey: ich wollte aus einem honor drucken
können sie deutsch can you german
- (2019-09-06, v:0.1.34) sherry brooks: sherry
icanot find my ip address on my printer
- (2019-09-02, v:0.1.34) Greg Scott: Zebra LP 2844-Z
If finds the address ok, but always returns the same error. Not clear what to do next. Address: http://cups_server:631/printers/my_printer Error: Failed to contact the printer - please check the connection URL. Error code: TypeError: Failed to fetch Check the help section for more infomation.
- (2019-07-19, v:0.1.34) Marcelo Lopez: Canon MX920
The extension detects the printer just fine, it says it prints just fine, and then it doesn't print.
- (2019-05-27, v:0.1.34) Lucia Herrera: how to scan from my HP ENVY Photo 6200?
how to scan from my HP ENVY Photo 6200?
- (2019-03-10, v:0.1.34) cant print to canon mg3500
Im on same wifi network and have ip address for printer which i got through my phone settings, it says all is compatible but i get a failed to fetch error. i tried unirast setting and at one point printer took a sheet of paper but didnt print on it ???? didnt expect this much grief please advise or update extension to enable printing
- (2019-03-06, v:0.1.34) Stuart Warren: asus chromebook / brother DCP-T700W
I have registered the IP address and test says pass but cannot print? I did manage to print a pdf doc before but print window always says save (not print)
- (2019-02-25, v:0.1.34) Dave Sullivan: Says successful print but nothing happens
When I click the test icon I get a pass. When I go to print to the ipp/cups I get a success but nothing happens on the printer side. Any ideas of what might be wrong?
- (2019-02-11, v:0.1.34) connecting to Lexmark printer
I purchased a Chromebook 15 and set it up. My Chromebook 11 had your program installed and it worked fine. Not sure why, the other set up was easy
- (2018-12-18, v:0.1.34) will not connect to printer
will not print from printer mine is canon TS3122 and I can't get it to connect to my chrome book which is a Samsung