Legally get full text of scholarly articles as you browse.
Get full text of scholarly articles as you browse. When you view a research article, Unpaywall automatically looks for a copy in our index of 20 million free, legal fulltext PDFs. If we find one, click the green tab to read the article. Unpaywall points you to legal, author-posted manuscripts that are hosted on university and government web servers. We are pointing to versions that have been posted with the full and explicit authorization of the publishers themselves. These free, author-posted manuscripts are often called "Green Open Access" and are a longstanding and completely legal part of the scholarly communications ecosystem. The majority of scholarly journals permit authors to "self-archive" their papers on university and government web servers. It's these legally self-archived papers that Unpaywall helps users find. Any papers posted outside of publisher permissions are NOT included in our index.
- (2020-02-11) Hemanth Reddy: I've installed less than an hour ago, and I'm in love with it already!!
- (2020-01-27) Ross Mounce: This even outperforms Sci-Hub sometimes! Excellent tool.
- (2019-10-18) David Brotman: Not working for nytimes.com
- (2019-10-14) Nick Westgate: Love it! It worked on all the papers I tried today. Victory for the non-medical-professional amateur-armchair-scientist geeks. Thanks so much!
- (2019-09-24) Federico Leva: Ottima estensione per trovare facilmente i PDF durante l'uso normale, in qualunque sito ci si trovi. Non devo più lanciare una caccia al tesoro ogni volta che visito un editore o archivio istituzionale per capire dove sia il pulsante che porta all'eventuale PDF! Il 50 % delle pubblicazioni scientifiche recenti è disponibile e facilissimo da scaricare grazie a tutte le università che hanno messo a disposizione le opere in accesso aperto verde.
- (2019-08-28) Awair80: Doesn't work....
- (2019-07-14) Neil Thawani: A simple Google Scholar search revealed free instances of a semi-popular article referenced in a tech news outlet that the extension did not locate. This extension is not worth downloading.
- (2019-07-02) Big Tony: Great Extension! Keep fighting the struggle for freedom of free information!
- (2019-06-01) iris shields: Not working. Nothing shows.
- (2019-02-14) Serena Sangiorgi: Utilissimo per trovare copia degli articoli pubblicati, in giro per il mondo.
- (2019-02-03) J. Albert Bowden: seems like scihub is down for me. what to do?!?!?!? before despair could set in, installed unpaywall and had access to the document i desired instantaneously! works as advertised! open everything!
- (2019-01-13) 王xu: 哪些网站可以用呢，我咋至今没见到一个绿色按钮呢
- (2018-11-20) G Bell: A must have app ahead of any scientific review.
- (2018-10-18) Vanessa Fortune: Fantastic! I love it - it makes me happy. A happy little nerd-ling.
- (2018-09-18) 绾海WanHai: 要是插件支持中文就更好了
- (2018-08-16) Egon Willighagen: Easy to use extension, giving access to many paywalled journal articles.
- (2018-05-25) Mark Ray: Love it! There aren't free versions of every paper (those on ResearchGate aren't available), but I'd say it has a 75% success rate. And you can't beat the price.
- (2018-05-06) Leda Eliana Mendia Jimenez: Muy util y rapido
- (2018-04-28) Dominic Siaki: Have yet to find a free version of any paper.
- (2018-04-05) Shackleton: When you need to find the original research, this is the perfect extension. I use this on all my personal computers. Unpaywall is an absolute must have extension!
- (2018-03-05) Luis Anton Imperial: Works like a charm!
- (2017-10-11) Andrew Mathas: Works really well. Of course, it doesn't always find a free version of the article but it often does Very helpful!
- (2017-10-07) Nikoleta Despodova: It doesn't work; it doesn't show at all.
- (2017-08-20) Didn't work for me.
- (2017-08-09) Nikolaj Feidenhans'l: It generally works nicely and is very convenient! However, Google Scholar can often find papers not found by this extension.
- (2020-04-15, v:3.91) The Best: Challenge
Hello site idnes.cz is not working even with your extension. Want to take a challenge? I tried what Google offered to get through paywall and nothing (even your software)
- (2019-08-24, v:Unpaywall 3.89) Aldo d'Alessandro: funzionamento
non capisco come funziona
- (2019-07-22, v:Unpaywall 3.88) Morgan Movies: Cannot install extension from Chrome Store
When I go to add the extension it fails and this error pops up. Package is invalid. Details: 'Could not load icon 'img/icon.png' for browser action.'.
- (2018-12-04, v:Unpaywall 3.87) reader
Compare the latest Top 500 list with the Top 500 Green List of HPC systems. Discuss a few top winners and losers in terms of energy efficiency in power and cooling costs. Reveal the green energy winners’ stories and report their special design features, packaging, cooling, and management policies that make them the winners. How different are the ranking orders in the two lists? Discuss their causes and implications based on publicly reported data
- (2018-09-02, v:Unpaywall 3.77) Charles Williams: Read and change data
Why does it need to read and change data on websites visited? What exactly does this mean and does this apply to every website visited or only to the websites that contain the articles and papers being accessed? This is a question that has been asked many times before but has yet to be answered. Please answer as clearly/detailed as possible. Thanks.
- (2018-03-06, v:Unpaywall 3.76) Can you kick off this
Can you block me from using this it has been interfering with other things
- (2017-09-15, v:Unpaywall 3.0) NPAVisuals Nicholas Pearson Associates: No longer working
No longer pops up on screen when viewing a journal article listing. Seems others are seeing the same thing. Shame, I liked this extension.
- (2017-09-15, v:Unpaywall 3.0) Peter Jones: OSX, error in Chrome, was OK
Error in response to storage.get: ReferenceError: k is not defined at Object.callback (chrome-extension://iplffkdpngmdjhlpjmppncnlhomiipha/unpaywall.js:715:53) at runWithSettings (chrome-extension://iplffkdpngmdjhlpjmppncnlhomiipha/unpaywall.js:715:27)
- (2017-08-20, v:Unpaywall 2.4) Not working at all
Acer Chromebook 11 running Chrome OS ver. 60.0.3112.101. Installed fine, but clicking on the little tab takes me to an error page.
- (2017-08-03, v:Unpaywall 2.4) David Hopgood: Unpaywall doesn't work in Chrome
I tried installing Unpaywall in Chrome - nothing happened. Please advise. David Hopgood
- (2017-07-03, v:Unpaywall 2.3) Dispense with the huge button
Having a huge big green thing on the side of the screen when I read articles online like at PubMed is a huge distraction. You should give the option to only light up the mini icon on the toolbar and get rid of it on screen.