New tabs open immediately instead of in the background
Concerns Regarding Required Permissions Please read the detailed description of required permissions (below) and why they are necessary. Without them, Tab Activate could not work as described. Absolutely no data is changed or collected. ---------------------------------------- Description When you open a link in a new tab, Chrome opens the new tab in the background and provides no option to switch to it immediately. With Tab Activate, new tabs open immediately instead of in the background. To override Tab Activate and open a new tab in the background, press the Shift key while opening the new tab. Note: Override does not work for bookmarks. Tab Activate effectively reverses Chrome's new tab focus behavior. In other browsers, this setting is called: "When you open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately." ---------------------------------------- Required Permissions Read and change all your data on the websites you visit: Required to detect when the Shift key is pressed (no website data is read or changed) Due to limitations in the Chrome extension API, the only way to detect if the Shift key is being pressed is with the required permissions. Absolutely no data is changed or collected. ---------------------------------------- Changes Version 3.2 Refactored code. No longer requires bookmarks permission (bookmarks still work). Version 3.1 Improved Shift key detection when the window loses focus. Improved error handling. Fixed a console error. Version 3.0 Updated to Chrome Manifest V3. Version 2.1 New icon. Fixed issues created by Chrome 79 extension API changes. Version 2.0 As requested, bookmarks are now supported. Version 1.2 New tabs open to the right of the previous tab and new background tabs open at the end. Version 1.1 Shift key overrides Tab Activate and opens new tabs in the background. Version 1.0 Initial release.
- (2022-08-14) Dmitry Myshkov: If any site already has link functionality, which should open a new page in a new window, then the extension works. If you click on the link yourself with the mouse wheel, the new page opens in the background. The problem appeared after one of the Google Chrome updates. One of the reasons why I abandoned Google Chrome. the guys are very stubborn.
- (2022-07-27) Megosu Tmp: Doesn't work with Vivaldi browser (tested with 5.3.2679.55). It opens a new tab but it stays blank. I'm currently using "Open Tabs In Foreground 1.0.4" which works a treat, but has been recently marked as "This extension violates the Chrome Web Store policy". It is why I have been trying your extension, but with no luck :(
- (2022-05-28) Akihisa Toyota: 基本的な機能は有効に動いています。 しかし、副作用があります。 Tab groupを折りたたんでいても、Chromeを再起動したときにすべてのTab groupが開いてしまうことがあります。 また、これはChromeの話ではないが、Edgeで空白の新しいタブが開く位置がおかしいことがあります。 このように様々な良くない挙動をすることがあります。 The basic function is working effectively. However, there is a side effect. Sometimes all Tab groups open when Chrome is restarted, even if the Tab group is collapsed. Also, and this is not about Chrome, but sometimes a blank new tab opens in Edge in the wrong position. This is a variety of bad behavior.
- (2022-05-19) Rafał Wałczyk: Aktywacja zakładek działa, ale kiedy mam ustawione, żeby Brave zapamiętywał zakładki przy wyjściu, później przy otwieraniu programu ładują się wszystkie na raz, ogromnie obciążając procesor.
- (2022-03-27) Libre Gisin: THE problem with this extension, is that it destroys the action of "New Tab at End 3000" and of "Tab Position Option". It switch well to the new Tab, but forces it to be next to to current one, so this extension is useless for me if this behavior is not corrected. Two extensions that work well for me are : "Switch to New Tab" and "Tab to Front v2". They can be combined with the two first extensions I mentioned.
- (2021-11-18) Кот Фобос: Удобное приложение. Изредка возникает баг: не переключается на вкладку. Решаемо перезагрузкой браузера.
- (2021-11-15) 易弗: 时不时会失灵，需要关闭重启扩展，也不知道是哪里出了问题
- (2021-11-05) 小哥哥: 亲测有用
- (2021-04-22) Costas G: Works great.
- (2021-02-07) Terry S. Bruce: Hope this helps someone as confused as i was: <Macbook [Big Sur] & Chrome v.88.0~ :> --Touchpad click opens link in same tab --Shift+click opens link in new window --Ctrl+click opens a context menu --Cmd+click = joy :-⎎
- (2020-12-05) Patrick Nelson: Extremely simple. Works better than "Switch To New Tab" which I've used for years. I'm a developer, so I audited the code and can verify that it's extremely simple and doesn't do anything with it's access. In fact, it really doesn't need the requested permissions, because pressing shift when clicking opens in a new window anyway, so it has no practical effect anymore. That's why I reduced this by 1 star. It requires permissions it doesn't really actually need (at least not anymore). The author should update this!
- (2020-12-03) Hamilcar3K: Excellent, simple but highly useful extension.
- (2020-11-05) Zahtec: Does what it says it does, been using it for a year, great extension
- (2020-09-01) Gerard Reitsma: Just what I was looking for. Tabhandling in browsers mostly is poor. This is useful. Thanks!
- (2020-07-19) CheckIn Center: It works well
- (2020-07-08) Alexis Wilke: Just installed, I clicked with the middle mouse button and sure enough, I'm in that new tab. So much more sensible. Why would you want to open links in a hidden window?! It's like the behavior of the hidden popup everyone hated so much.
- (2020-06-30) Telmo Amaral: Should be built into Chrome.
- (2020-04-04) Gary Wei: 不能用了失效了
- (2020-03-29) if it only had more options, to turn it off quickly, to make site specific rules etc
- (2020-03-19) Scott Toughill: The fact this requires an extension is why I tend to never use Chrome unless necessary. This is a standard option in every other browser.
- (2020-02-18) 周佳: 木有用啊
- (2020-02-10) luo wen: Not work on version 80. Please help to update it.
- (2020-01-06) Gilu One: Works for normal links. However, it does not work for bookmarks in toolbar.
- (2020-01-01) UU Bz: 谢谢作者更新 Thanks the author for the update
- (2020-01-01) Luuk De Vries: It works again. Thank you very much.
- (2019-12-30) Gary Will: Awesome! Great to have this back again after Google made changes to Chrome that stopped Tab Activate from working. Working great again!
- (2019-12-26) Jay: chrome内核79的edge下，插件不生效
- (2019-12-25) Pete Athoe: I use tab activate all the time. Recently it stopped activating new tabs when I select a link from my favorites in chrome. It works from a web page just fine but won't activate a link from the bookmark tabs. Very frustrating. Why did it change?
- (2019-12-19) Joseph Morlan: This extension worked fine until the latest Chrome update. It still works on links, but it does not work as expected on bookmarks. The author has been notified, but has not yet come up with a fix. Frustrated I found an alternative that does not have this problem. Tabs to Front v2 Offered by: dougcuk42
- (2019-12-16) Paul D: It just stopped working today. Will leave installed for a day or two and see if it regains function, otherwise will switch to one of the similar apps.
- (2019-12-14) carsten e: I was happy to use it for a year or so. But now it stopped working (12-2019). Such a shame to have to find another one of these.
- (2019-12-13) D Wainio: It use to work great before the chrome 79 update. Unfortunately, now it's broken. Please fix it Google!
- (2019-12-13) john maletic: No longer works in Chrome 79. Pitty.
- (2019-12-13) Gary Quiring: Since Chrome v79 release this no longer works. And I noticed the last update to this extension was 2015, so it looks like abandon-ware.
- (2019-12-12) Jesus Says: Not working in Version Chrome 79.0.3945.79 (Official Build) (64-bit). Is this going to be fixed?
- (2019-12-11) Michael Levin: On one PC it works as advertised. [When I click the wheel on a bookmark, it opens a new tab and jumps to that tab.] But on my laptop it stopped working. Reinstall did not fix it. Reinstall Chrome did not fix it. Now if I click the wheel on a bookmark while pressing shift, the desired behavior works. If I don't press shift, I get the new tab, but have to select it.
- (2019-12-05) Jim Robinson: So far, so good after a few days of use; Tab Activate works as advertised on Google Chrome version 78.0.3904.108 (Official Build) (64-bit); it even works with bookmarks via the Neater Bookmarks extension.
- (2019-11-22) Ronald Ramakers: I lov(ED) it. Unfortunately, recently it doesn't work anymore. It's activated but for some unclear reason when I click with my right mouse button on a bookmark and select 'Open in new tab' it only opens the bookmark in a new tab but doesn't go automatically to that new tab anymore. Hence, each time I have to click on the new tab to open the bookmark site. So, there's no difference anymore with or without 'Tab activate'. I use Google Chrome Version 79.0.3945.36 (Official Build) beta (64-bit). When I read the positive comments it seems that nobody has this problem. So, it must be a problem with my version of Google Chrome. Anybody an idea how I can solve this problem; so, I can use Tab Activate as before?
- (2019-11-18) le zou: 按ctrl链接跳转新标签页，按shift跳转新后台，比右键选择还是要方便点
- (2019-11-06) 王雪涵: 失效
- (2019-10-31) Kuteiba Al-imami: Please update. The bookmarks page sometimes opens in the background. Other than this issue the add-on is very useful to me.
- (2019-10-21) Kelvin Lincoln: 失效了。还是需要按住cmd点击才可以在新tab页打开链接
- (2019-09-25) Tom Zane: Thank you thank you for creating this simple but very useful app, I love it. Of course it wouldn't be necessary if Google would just build the option into Chrome like most other browsers do.
- (2019-09-17) Don Lund: I absolutely love this extension. I don't know why this isn't the default behavior when you click on a link, or at least a configurable option. When I click on a link it's because I want to see the content, not load it in the background!
- (2019-08-15) Sergio Jetro: После первого запуска браузера, открывается страница по умолчанию, которая больше всего нравится этому разширению, а нужно чтоб оно игнорировало этот момент, а что если у меня 100 вкладок, и я сейчас на 73, а ЭТО разширение все время открывает 52 вкладку... Нужно фиксить это, чего ждем ?
- (2019-07-25) ĐẠI BI: Xin hướng dẫn cách đăng nhập vào tài khoản CrytoTab - của tôi Link= https://get.cryptobrowser.site/7287381
- (2019-07-25) So Le Van: Xin hướng dẫn cách phục hồi tài khoản CrytoTab - Link mời Bạn bè của tôi https://get.cryptobrowser.site/7287381
- (2019-07-15) Timothy John Telfair: Works great....Thanks !
- (2019-07-14) Torbinu: Does not work for middle click on home page button. Otherwise fine. Ctrl + Shift does the same without extension.
- (2019-07-02) hy y: 无效
- (2022-06-04, v:3.2.1) Francesco Cassese: Groups' Tabs open at launch
Since a couple of weeks ago (perhaps a little more, perhaps a little less, cannot remember, but it's recent for sure), upon launching Chrome for Windows automatically expands ALL groups' tabs. I initially thought it could be a problem of Chrome itself, but now I have certainty about this very extension, since, if I deactivate it, on next launch, this behaviour would not occur. I REALLY hope you developers could fix this issue: it's very annoying (expecially for those who, like me, tand to laucnh and close Chrome many times per session). Thank you so much for your attention.
- (2022-06-03, v:3.2.1) きつね しゃん: Group tabs aren't kept collapsed after Chrome restart
This extension it's preventing group tabs from being collapsed once you restart Chrome. All the group tabs are expanded right after Chrome loads which is painful and a resource hog since those tabs should remain in background till the groups are expanded and the tabs selected. I hope it can be fixed soon, I has been using this extension since a decade or more. Regards, thank you for keeping this extension alive.
- (2022-05-20, v:3.2.1) Sebastian Zander: Collapsed tab groups start out expanded when Chrome starts
Before some days ago, previously collapsed tab groups also remained collapsed after Chrome was restarted. However, since a couple of days ago either Chrome or Tab Activate changed in that regard. Now whenever Chrome starts all tab groups are expanded/opened. This is a bit unpleasant. I had this problem with another extension that does the same as Tab Activate on my company's computer. The reason may be different initialization time points, I don't know. Unfortunately, for now I have to manually collapse them all on start.
- (2022-05-14, v:3.1.1) M Y: TabActivate will not switch to the opened tab after using CCleaner.
TAB ACTIVATE works as expected. I realized that every time I use CCleaner, I need to disable then enable the TAB ACTIVATE extension, otherwise for every new tabs that will be opened, focus will not switch to to that tab. CCleaner must be erasing some settings of TabActivate.
- (2022-05-08, v:3.1.0) Wayne Rush: Update: I Must Uninstall and Reinstall Tab Activate.
Update: I have turned off all of my extensions with the exception of Tab Activate. As soon as I close and reopen Chrome, Tab Activate no longer works. I have also tried switching off Developer Mode to no avail. This is all without rebooting and Ccleaner has not been run.
- (2022-05-07, v:3.1.0) Wayne Rush: Update: I must uninstall and reinstall Tab Activate Every Time I Boot Up
This is an update of a previous post in which I said I must uninstall and reinstall Tab Activate every time I boot up. I have since found out that it isn't only when I reboot, but also, if I close and then open Chrome again without rebooting the problem still happens. All I have to do is close and then reopen Chrome for Tab Activate to no longer work.
- (2022-05-06, v:3.0.0) Wayne Rush: Tab Activate must be uninstalled and reinstalled every time
All of a sudden I must uninstall and then reinstall Tab Activate every time I boot up or else it doesn't switch to the new tab automatically. This is a new development. Tab Activate has worked flawlessly until now.
- (2022-04-14, v:2.1.0) Becky Heacox: 4/14/2022 - Tab Activate Stopped Working
I love the extension but it stopped working a few days ago. Is there an update? Can you please help? Thank you!
- (2022-04-12, v:2.1.0) Hunter7: Tab Activate
In the Brave browser, Tab Activate won't install. Says Access Denied.
- (2022-04-09, v:2.1.0) Fernando Viñan-Cano: No longer changing focus to new tab
Recent update to Brave and Edge browsers, now the extension no longer works - the new tab gets opened but the focus is not switched.
- (2022-04-05, v:2.1.0) Tom Laub: Tab activate no longer working correctly on Edge
Middle click will open the link in a new tab but the tab is no longer activated. This started a couple weeks ago.
- (2022-04-05, v:2.1.0) James J: Hard to find
Chrome makes it to hard to find your extension but I found it. I kept typing in Tab Active and could never find it. Finally I Googled that and refined my search to correct spelling. BUT THANKS!
- (2022-03-30, v:2.1.0) Leonhard Voos: Not working any more
Tab Activate is not working any more on macOS since recent update 100.xxx
- (2021-10-26, v:2.1.0) Paul Palombo: LastPass Icon does NOT appear on tool bar line?
I'm a newbie, and "Danged" if I can make the Lastpass Icon appear on top right toolbar! How do I enable my subscription of Lastpass in order to get the ICON? Thanks!
- (2021-06-30, v:2.1.0) carsten e: goes to new tab, but leaves the bookmark folder open...
When I open a bookmark from a folder in my bookmark bar (folder folds open over webpage) in a new tab, it activates it correctly, but leaves the bookmark folder open. I then have to click it again to close it. Since june 2021 on updated chrome.
- (2021-06-30, v:2.1.0) Nick: Tab Activate on Windows 10 Enterprise Build 17763.rs5_release.180914-1434 (64-bit) and Edge Version 91.0.864.59 (Official build) (64-bit)
Clicking on link on web page (not search results page) opens link in same tab rather than in new tab and switching to it, so, does nothing.
- (2021-03-10, v:2.1.0) Matt Frost: Working again on Win10/Edge 89.0.774.48
Updated Edge to 89.0.774.48 (Windows 10) and its working again
- (2021-03-09, v:2.1.0) Gary Quiring: Do you make this extension for Microsoft Edge?
I would really like this extension for Edge. I switched to Edge because I found it's a lot faster than Chrome.
- (2020-12-27, v:2.1.0) Amy Bostock: extension does not work
i have installed the extension on chrome, but when I click a link it still opens in the same window
- (2020-12-13, v:2.1.0) James Burcker: New Features
Would be greatly appriciated if you could incorporate some if not all of the features from 'Tab Position Options'.... It was originally developedby: 安東邦泰. There have been no updates to his work since 2015. His extension makes the "New Tab" the first on the left which would greatly accent your current work. (By moving to the top of the list, it is protected from tab queueing and memory dump)
- (2020-06-12, v:2.1.0) Russ Wyllie: Chrome vs. new Chromium-based MS Edge on Windows
Thanks for making Tab Activate; I really like it. I'm using Tab Activate in the new Chromium-based Edge browser on Windows, and Edge behaves differently than Chrome. In Chrome and most browsers, pressing Ctrl-t causes a new tab to open at the right end of the tab list. When Tab Activate is installed in Edge, pressing Ctrl-t causes the new tab to open to the right (adjacent) to the current tab instead of at the end, as if I had Ctrl-clicked a link in the current tab. To me, pressing Ctrl-t should always open the new tab at the right end. Small thing, I know, but it drives me a little nuts sometimes!
- (2020-05-07, v:2.1.0) Peter Crickman: Not working with new Tab Groups feature
I enabled the Tab Groups feature available in Chrome 81 and now the new links do not open immediately.
- (2020-04-23, v:2.1.0) XZeenon: Not switching to new tabs when they're created
When a program or extension opens a new web page in a new tab through some sort of automation, it doesn't switch the tab. I would hope for an option where if a new tab is created whether through user input or non user input, it would switch to it.
- (2019-12-27, v:2.0.2) graphicjazz: Not working anymore
To all who are having an issue with this extension no longer working with bookmarks I would suggest using a different extension. This extension hasn't been updated since 2015 and it has been 3 months since this problem has appeared without any feedback from the developer. It would be better to move on to something else than be frustrated with this outdated extension.
- (2019-12-24, v:2.0.2) Vincent van der Tuin: No longer activates bookmarks
When I middle-click a bookmark from the bookmark bar, it used to activate the opened tab, but this no longer works. It still works for links opened from pages. Using Chrome version 79.0.3945.88 (Official Build) (64-bit).
- (2019-12-23, v:2.0.2) Максим Беляев: Перестало
Перестало автоматически переключаться на новую страницу!
- (2019-12-23, v:2.0.2) Albert Kagarmanov: Help
Please adjust the opening of links from the bookmarks bar with the middle mouse button (scrolling).
- (2019-12-23, v:2.0.2) Andrew Livsey: Tab Activate
This extension has stopped working.
- (2019-12-20, v:2.0.2) Lex Peek: Does not work after update Chrome
Updated to Versie 79.0.3945.88 (Officiële build) (64-bits). Extention stop working. Please make it work again. Regards
- (2019-12-20, v:2.0.2) Albert Kagarmanov: Clicking on a scroll not working
Clicking on a scroll to open a new tab now does not work. Will you fix it?
- (2019-12-19, v:2.0.2) Ken Miller: No longer working
As so many people have posted on here the extension no longer works with some Windows 7 Chrome upgrade that I did not even ask for. This is a huge headache for me. Please fix!!
- (2019-12-18, v:2.0.2) Gsimonis Wisdot-Gmail: Tab Activate no longer working like it should, Tabs opening in the background
All new tabs open in the background and I have to click on them to make them the current tab and to work in them. I am running PC, Windows 10, Google Chrome Version 79.0.3945.79 (Official Build) (64-bit)
- (2019-12-18, v:2.0.2) aaarwin: Tab activate malfuncion
Tab activate stopped working since a few days, after working just fine for several years.
- (2019-12-16, v:2.0.2) Dylan Rook: Tab Activate
Tab Activate is no longer working.
- (2019-12-15, v:2.0.2) Joseph Morlan: Not working now.
No longer works on bookmarks with latest Chrome. Any chance of a fix? Thanks.
- (2019-12-15, v:2.0.2) RomoDrummer: Not working on Chrome Version 79.0.3945.79
Not working on Chrome Version 79.0.3945.79.. Please fix it!
- (2019-12-14, v:2.0.2) Peter Rice: Sudden failure with latest Chrome version
Tab Activate extension no longer works properly in Chrome 79.0.3945.79 when opening bookmarks. Still works OK with embedded links. Have also reported to Chrome feedback.
- (2019-12-12, v:2.0.2) Luuk De Vries: Werking gestopt
Sinds update chrome 79.0.3945.79 werkt Tab Active niet meer.
- (2019-12-11, v:2.0.2) Todd Gums: Stopped working with Chrome Version 79.0.3945.79
Quit working as of December 11, 2019 with update to Version 79.0.3945.79
- (2019-12-11, v:2.0.2) Gary Quiring: No longer works with Chrome 79.0.3945.79
I upgraded my Chrome browser today on Win 10 and it no longer works.
- (2019-12-10, v:2.0.2) Wayne Rush: Tab Activate no longer works.
After the latest download and installation of Windows Update for Windows 7, Tab Activate for Google Chrome no longer works. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Google Chrome as well as uninstalling and reinstalling Tab Activate to no avail. It no longer works.
- (2019-11-28, v:2.0.2) robert wood: please fix
stopped working, using Google Chrome Version 79.0.3945.16 (Official Build) (64-bit)
- (2019-09-30, v:2.0.2) Toby Erkson: Is this free for commercial use?
The company I work for needs to know if this is free for commercial use before they will whitelist it.
- (2019-03-06, v:2.0.2) Gm Dell: as of day 2 doesn't work
Hi, it worked great, only for 1 day. Any idea?
- (2018-12-07, v:2.0.2) carsten e: your extension needs too much access for what it does
Why does your extension need to read and alter my bookmarks and browserdata? Just to set focus on the new tab?
- (2018-11-26, v:2.0.2) Spelunker: Tab Activate
Unable to open options, greyed out from the menu.
- (2018-10-22, v:2.0.2) মতিয়ার রহমান: motiar
- (2018-09-05, v:2.0.2) Please also
activate tabs opened from One Tab.
- (2018-07-23, v:2.0.2) Debbi Vittitow: how do I add icons to my google chrome homepage?
why is it so difficult to add a icon on my google chrome log in page ? I have ones I dont need ughhh
- (2018-06-23, v:2.0.2) Leif Gregersen: dashlane download
this irem doe not appear to download