Forces Chrome to open new tabs instead of pop-up windows and/or links in the same tab by default instead of new or background tab.
If you hate when you click the link and Chrome opens it in a new or a new background tab, or even in a new window, then this extension is for you. It forces Chrome to open links in the same tab by default instead of new or background tab, and new tabs instead of pop-up windows.
- (2023-04-26) Victor TOULOUSE: Perfect. Now I can stop Slack from opening its “huddles” in a very annoying popup window.
- (2023-04-15) marius silviu stan: Sensational!
- (2023-02-26) Ed Ralston: It does not work on ancestry.com
- (2023-02-20) Argothiel: One of the perfect extensions!
- (2023-02-17) Scott: This does not work for Reddit as a PWA. For whatever reason, click on notifications icon in Reddit opens a tab in a new window... so annoying. I thought this extension would force the opening of the notification in the PWA I have open already.
- (2023-01-06) Suman Saurabh: very handy
- (2023-01-04) Aleksander Fijołek: Very nice extension <3
- (2023-01-01) Rifan Reindika: NICE
- (2022-12-08) Dave Gearing: It was great but now has stopped working, I have the extension turned on but pop ups open in new window. I have toggle the extension off and back on to get it working again. Every time I reboot. Which is a real pain.
- (2022-10-14) zaichi uwu: kalau sebaliknya bisa ga ya ? link biasa jadi popout gitu ?
- (2022-09-26) Eric May: 完美
- (2022-09-14) James Smith: Bug - it needs to be deactivated / reactivated to start working again
- (2022-08-17) Laurent Appenzeller: It works perfectly. Thanks very much
- (2022-08-05) lawrence d'Aniello: Doesn't always work for this site: https://sol.bibliotechediroma.it/sebina/boz/index.jsp
- (2022-06-26) Kie 7077: Did not work
- (2022-06-16) Dan Lindner: Just needs a whitelist feature now!
- (2022-06-10) Chu Đức Duy: GOOD S*IT
- (2022-06-07) Inga Ri: the only small bug - sometimes it needs to be deactivater / reactivated to start working again.
- (2022-06-02) Jose Dios: Imperdible
- (2022-05-13) Mike Simpkin: I use this to stop ebay constantly opening new tabs, works perfectly.
- (2022-05-05) Mohamed Jaseel: Works great, thanks dev!
- (2022-04-25) Dana Smith: Doesn't work on MacBook Pro. Went to Etsy to test, turned extension off and on several times. Refreshed page. It's a joke. Doesn't work AT ALL. I absolutely HATE Chrome but LastPass works best with it, otherwise I'd stick to Safari browser because it just works, no special downloads or anything to get new tabs to stop opening. I just want to hit back button to go back where I was, not close another dang tab. PITA Google!!!!
- (2022-04-22) Steve Frame: This should be configurable as part of Chrome, it shouldn't need to be an extension.
- (2022-04-08) r Lee: good......
- (2022-03-18) Josh Deluca: This extension is exactly what I needed! Thank you!
- (2022-03-15) Vitor Rolemberg Guerra Costa: Funciona muito bem! para ficar perfeito só falta o white/blacklist
- (2022-02-25) Google User: Doesn't work for me. Links still open up new tab.
- (2022-02-23) Bart Collart: Opens popup windows as tabs - awesome.
- (2022-02-23) Robert Brown: The extension is exactly what I have been looking for. It seems to work in both Chrome & Edge in Windows 10. In Windows 11 with Edge it does not always work, if I disable it & reanable the extension it works for that session. If I reopen Edge I have to repeat the process. Weird why I don't have this issue in Windows 10.
- (2022-02-20) Stan Ht. Wu: I tested on 163.com or baidu.com, but it seems not working on China's website... XD
- (2022-02-16) John terHorst: Works great but every time I shut down and power up my Surface Pro 7, (it did the same thing on my old Surface 3), I have to disable and re-enable it for it to work. I see in the comments that this is a common issue and years old. Maybe a single star will get some attention to the issue. Of course if Chrome just had this as an option...
- (2022-02-14) Vít Novotný: Can we get function so this same tab will be automatically closed? thanks
- (2022-02-08) Maxim Kushnir: I love this extension saves me so much time!
- (2022-02-07) Alan Agana: Use it for my entire company. Exactly what's needed. -Alan
- (2022-01-28) H K: Works good.
- (2022-01-10) Michele Montalbetti: Super convenient, I hope there is similar version for Edge.
- (2022-01-08) Steven Van: I was hoping this would work to prevent new tabs from opening on Ebay, unfortunately it does not.
- (2022-01-08) ねろ: ブラウザをバックグラウンドで開くようにしてると、再度チェックを入れないと アンケートサイトがタブで開かないので、面倒。 コレを使いたいから、バックグラウンドで開くのをやめました。 うまく開かないことが多くなりました。 インストールするとまた別タブで開くようになりますが…面倒…。 関係あるかわかりませんが、同じページがもう一枚出るようになりました。 再インストールして様子見てみます。 2022年1月9日 アンケートサイトが別窓で開くようになりました。 このまま続くようなら、他の拡張を探します。
- (2022-01-06) Étienne Gagnon Juteau: It was working. It doesn't work anymore. Mostly for microsoft dynamics
- (2022-01-06) Alex Dany: for me this extension work good
- (2021-12-27) Ricardo: Realmente funciona. Força que os links abram na mesma aba, ao invés de uma nova aba, ou em nova aba, ao invés de uma nova janela. It really works. Force links to open in the same tab instead of a new tab, or in a new tab instead of a new window.
- (2021-12-22) Ian Geraris: Simple & does the trick
- (2021-12-16) Kathy Martin: Love, love, love this. Thank you!
- (2021-12-05) nlx78: TYVM!
- (2021-11-21) puppy cat: incredibly useful but i wish there was an option to open all websites in the same tab, for some reason some links will open in current tab and others will create a new tab?? however its free and makes using chrome slightly more bearable so im happy with it :)
- (2021-11-16) Paul Nesmiyanov: В яндексе не работает.
- (2021-11-08) Louis DiFilippantonio II: well i mainly downloaded this for Ebay. but it still lets ebay open a new tab..... this doesnt work
- (2021-10-12) S S: I got this because ebay being the epic failure ebay is and is incapable of doing anything correctly especially if it involves being user friendly, have decided to force new tabs or just glitch as they are always doing when changing things pretending they are still relevant. It did not work on ebay. Ebay will open a new tab for every item you click on now. This is not fixed in the browsers settings as ebay did this as many, many others are also complaining about this. This extension did work for Aliexpress that would also open new tabs on every click but had no effect on ebays disaster. So, since it did not work for what I needed it for 2 stars but I could see it working for someone else with a different issue.
- (2021-09-13) F L: Thanks good one
- (2021-09-06) Ymmymm Ymmymm: great .I like it.It always give comfortable on page thanks for developer
- (2023-04-12, v:2.3) Dhruv Joshi: Popup-as-tab-extenstion.sergiy.net/installed opening everytime we open the browser
Hello, there is new behaviour after yesterdays update. https://Popup-as-tab-extenstion.sergiy.net/installed opening everytime we open the browser how to stop this? Popup-as-tab-extenstion.sergiy.net/installed opening everytime we open the browser please let me know. thank you
- (2023-03-22, v:2.2) Grzegorz Barański: update chrome
When I update to the latest version of Chrome, the plugin doesn't work
- (2022-10-26, v:2.2) Tim McGrath: Stops Working In Chrome
Greetings.... This has stopped working for some of our users. If they delete it and re-install, the extension works for a few session, then they need to repeat the process.
- (2022-10-13, v:2.2) Kristian Krejberg-Larsen: Extension stopped working
For the past 6 months or so, the extension hasn't worked correctly, unless you disable it and enable it again. It's annoying, but there is this workaround
- (2022-08-20, v:2.2) Scott: PWA links
For my Reddit PWA, I want all links to open in the PWA. Links within comments work, however, links from the icons on the header, ie. Notifications, still open in a tab in a new window.
- (2022-08-04, v:2.2) Steven Gribbin: Works from Google and Bing pages, doesn't from Yahoo
This app opens links in the same tab when clicking links from a search from Google.com or Bing.com. However, when clicking links from a search from Yahoo.com, it opens the links in a new tab. Of course, I prefer Yahoo as my home page so this affects me. I know that it is possible for it to work in Yahoo as I had an older extension (of course, that google removed form extensions) that worked for all search pages. It would be great to if you could make whatever tweak is necessary to solve this issue. Thanks
- (2022-06-16, v:2.2) Dan Lindner: Whitelist feature
Hi, please add a whitelist feature. It's been "coming soon" for eons now.
- (2022-05-26, v:2.2) Derek M: Issue with Service Now
Certain popups on the Service Now website do not work with open link in same tab. It flashes a window and then closes, not opening in a new tab. It would be nice to be able to exclude specific sites or domains from open link in same tab so that I don't have to disable it entirely.
- (2022-02-15, v:2.2) Johnny Pirch: The extension is no longer working.
The extension is no longer working.
- (2021-11-10, v:2.2) john casiotis: exclude website
Could you add an exclude website function?
- (2021-08-24, v:2.2) Elizabeth Darke: Why did this quit working?
This was working great until the end of last week or early this week. Now I have to turn it off and back on each morning to get it to work.
- (2021-07-29, v:2.2) Arden S.: Not working?
Hello. I got really excited this existed as Etsy apparently has this forced setting where any item you click opens a new tab every single time--its made it almost unusable for me and keeps crashing my computer and brain. I thought this would address this (its supposed to stop websites from auto opening new tabs, right?) But its not doing anything. Is this only for intitial pop ups and turning them into tabs? It cant block new tabs from opening from links on sites? Etsy forces a new tab open when you click on a link to a product even just for a sneak peak. Then u end up with 50 tabs just from looking for soemthing, and lose the thing u were looking for. Is this someting the extension is supposed to address? Thanks a lot. I really appreicate it. If I can get this to make etsy usable for me I'll def be donating. thanks
- (2021-07-24, v:2.2) Privacy: The extension is blocked
The extension below is blocked popup-window/nnlippelgfbglbhiccffmnmlnhmbjjpe
- (2021-07-14, v:2.2) Alex Thompson: force open in new tabs instead of reusing existing tabs
There are some cases where the plugin forces the pop-up to open in a new tab, which is perfect. However, when opening multiple pop-ups they all open in the same tab, reusing it, instead of each opening in their own tab. If there is a way you could add the option to force every popup to open in its own individual tab that would be really appreciated.
- (2021-06-02, v:2.2) Zalmen Freund: Open Next to the Current Tab
Hello Thanks for your so beneficial extension. I would like to suggest a upgrade. It would be very beneficial if you can implement that the new pop up tab should always open next to the current tab and not by the end of the tabs Thanks
- (2021-05-07, v:2.2) Darren Munson: Needs to be re-enabled every day
As above, each day when I start up, popups open in a new window, I disable, then re-enable the checkbox, and it works again. Probably due to a Chrome update, but can it be fixed? Thanks.
- (2021-03-10, v:2.2) Matt Frost: Stopped working
No longer works on Windows 10/Edge as of v89.0.774.45
- (2020-11-25, v:2.2) Miroslav Belák: Extension site access feature
Dear developer, First of all, kudos for such much needed extension. Question. In extension settings there is a section called Site access. I had it set to "On all sites", thought the list of sites I would like the extension to run is low, therefore I tried to switch it to "On specific sites", or even to "On click". It appears the the extension ignores this setting. I wonder if this is the extension issue, or rather Chrome issue. For comparison other extensions seem to follow this setting flawlessly. Thank you for you reply!
- (2020-10-19, v:2.2) yrLDtLnt: Ignore list
I need a pop-up window for some websites, please add a list to filter
- (2020-09-25, v:2.2) sunkist paradise: not work on some site
i'm installed this extention to open link/button in new tab, but apparently this extention does not work on some site, for example pahe.ph. when i click the button/link it does not open in new tab as i expected
- (2020-09-18, v:2.2) Yu Cho: Dear developer,
Thank you so much for developed such a wonderful extension. Could you consider to implement whiltelisting function to the next version? Because for some sites I do not want them to be opened as a new tab. e.g. for goole hangouts, if I checked "open pop-ups as a new tabs", then hangouts window can not pop up normally. Please have a look and I am really looking forward to adding whitelist function. Thanks again!
- (2020-07-30, v:2.1) ルミ: デスクトップ通知が来ない
- (2020-06-24, v:2.1) Artemi Lebedev: Pops
How to open popup (i think) windows in SAME tab? For example: https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/
- (2020-05-21, v:2.1) Edward Allisette: Application no longer working
Hi, Not sure what has happened but as of the last week or so the extension now does not do as it is supposed to. I have to manually turn the open in new tabs option off and back on every morning. I have tried re-installing it but it has not fixed the issue. I am assuming others have raised the same thing with you. Thanks Ed
- (2020-04-07, v:2.1) Ehren Dimitry: Edge availability
Can you add this extension to the Edge Library?
- (2020-04-04, v:2.1) Lonfo Sbernecchia: should open tab next to the current one
the extension should open the tab at the right of the current active tab. please can you fix it? thanks.
- (2020-03-19, v:2.1) Kristian Krejberg: Extension stays active even when told not no
I have added this extension, and have only allowed it for one specifik URL Even though it stays active on all websites I have tried to mark that it should only be active if I click on the extension, same issue as above
- (2020-02-29, v:2.1) Jaydeep Thoke: In Chrome I need it to disable and enable once every day once. Then only This works.
Hi, I am using this since last 1 or 2 years in chrome. Works great. But recently In Chrome I need it to disable and enable at least once every day. Then only This works. Please look in to this issue and solve it. I want to work with you guys to solve this let me know if you need more info on it.
- (2020-02-28, v:2.1) Ravinder Yadav: addon is not working in opera browser
addon is not working in opera browser
- (2020-02-07, v:2.1) Artemi Lebedev: Evernote
Some problems with evernote clipper - cannot auth in evernote
- (2020-01-10, v:2.1) Yod Samuel Martín: Extensions do not open on a new window
Although in theory "Chrome extensions are not blocked", they are indeed in practice since Chrome 79. When I click on the extension button (in particular, Tabs Outliner), the extension window flickers and then it opens on a new tab of the current window.
- (2020-01-08, v:2.1) Michael Long: tabs
chrome and tabs not responding. drive disabled. tabs not acting right.
- (2019-12-19, v:2.1) Scott Comstock: Chrome 79 and this extension blocks Google Hangout extension from opening
Starting with chrome version 79.0.3945.79 the floating google hangouts window won't open. The browser just flashes as if a popup window was blocked. If I disable "Open link in same tab, pop-up as tab" then the Google Hangout window will open. For my users this just started with Chrome 79 on both mac and windows versions of the browser.
- (2019-12-17, v:2.1) Dave Stout: Blocks Hangouts Extension From Opening
Now that Google has switched Hangouts to an extension instead of app, I cannot open Hangouts with "Open link in same tab" enabled. If I disable it, then click Hangouts it opens. Please have an ability to white/blacklist Hangouts so it can function properly. Thanks.
- (2019-10-26, v:2.1) צבי דראך: modelism/טיסנאות
לפרסם חוגי טיסנאות ובניית מודלים
- (2019-10-07, v:2.1) Judy Waybright: Chrome TAB extension DOES NOT WORK
I see folks are saying extension does not work just like me...however I am not seeing where anyone is responding or assisting with the issue. The extension is not fully functioning...whomever is able needs to fix it so that it actually does work... Please assist and advise as to why it is not working and what we need to do to get it to work.....
- (2019-09-18, v:2.1) Judy Waybright: same tab link does NOT work
works once but if you go out and come back it doesn't...
- (2019-09-13, v:2.1) Engin Rençber: It's not working
This extensiion is not working
- (2019-09-12, v:2.1) Engin Rençber: It's not downloading
It's not downloading
- (2019-07-15, v:2.1) Diana Gonzalez: Profile Update
I AM A FIVE STAR WOMAN OF GOD
- (2019-04-05, v:2.1) Eric Miletich: extension control from google admin
We would like to push this extension out through google admin but global control the options so we can disable the reuse tab function. Is there a way to do so?
- (2019-03-01, v:2.1) Brenda Sloan: httpitunes
cant connect itunes because im locked out of my iphone 6 plus
- (2019-02-01, v:2.1) Katherin Morris: Reset every morning - Open pop-ups as a new tabs (Chrome extensions are not blocked)
For the last month or so I have to reset the "Open pop-ups as a new tabs (Chrome extensions are not blocked)" every morning because it stops working. Help Please.
- (2018-09-23, v:2.1) Susan Janeczek: need help with tool
How do you set this tool up so that when I click on a link in one system, it shows up in the same tab each time? Currently, every time I click on a linkedin URL in a record, it keeps opening a new tab. I thought this tool could be set up so that that linkedin URLs all open in the same tab? Is this possible? Can you help?