Removes black bars on ultrawide videos and offers advanced options to fix aspect ratio.
Need to remove unnecessary black bars from this youtube video you're watching? Ultrawidify is here for you. If the extension stretches the video instead of cropping, you're experiencing a Google Chrome bug. Go to chrome://flags/#use-angle and select D3D9. 🌟🌟🌟 MAIN FEATURES 🌟🌟🌟 ⚠️ Features automatic aspect ratio detection (not all sites are supported — support may vary from site to site) ✅ Supports primarily youtube, vimeo, twitch, netflix, but will try to work on any website ↔️ Supports both cropping and stretching ✅ Works with youtube theater mode ❓ How do I use it? If the site does not utilize DRM, you can just sit back and let autodetection handle everything for you. On sites that use DRM — or on videos where autodetection proves unreliable — you can either use the extension popup or the keyboard shortcuts (note that extension shortcuts do not override site's default shortcuts) to set the aspect ratio manually. 💬 Features in detail 💬 1️⃣ Automatic aspect ratio detection This feature ensures that video will be cropped without you having to lift a finger. It runs continuously and will even detect aspect ratio changes that happen in the middle of the video. While autodetection should work fine on most of the videos, it is not 100% accurate and has some limitations: ◾ The extension may struggle with dark frames (especially the ones that contain text) ◾ Autodetection may cause high CPU usage (especially on older CPUs) ◾ It may not be able to keep up with rapid aspect ratio changes ◾ It cannot work on sites that utilize DRM protection schemes (e.g. Netflix, Disney+) — you will have to adjust aspect ratio manually on those. Certain aspect ratio detection parameters can be tweaked in the extension settings. You can increase (or decrease) the frequency of aspect ratio checking. It is also possible to increase the level of certainty that's required for extension to change the crop. 2️⃣ Manual aspect ratio correction For sites that do not support automatic aspect ratio detection, Ultrawidify allows you to manually crop the video. The extension allows you to crop to these aspect ratios by default: → Fit Width (shortcut: W) → Fit Height (shortcut: E) → 21:9 (shortcut: D) → 18:9 (or 2:1; shortcut: X) → 16:9 (shortcut: S) You can also reset the aspect ratio back to the initial aspect ratio (shortcut: R). Note that some sites may define keyboard shortcuts that interfere with the shortcuts defined by this extension. In such cases, the shortcuts defined by this extension may not work. 3️⃣ Stretch the video You paid for the entire monitor, so you're gonna use all the monitor — even if it means stretching the video into complete garbage? Ultrawidify's got you covered with a bunch of different options: → Don't: for men of culture → Basic: for people who just don't care, at all. (This option does not remove the black bars) → Hybrid: crops the video first and then stretches the video to fill the remaining space →Thin borders — only stretch the video if the black borders are _really_ thin → 4:3 (src) — not all people are men of culture. Some people torture others by posting 4:3 content stretched to 16:9. This option makes the video 4:3 again. → 16:9 (src) — ensures that the video is stretched (or squeezed) to 16:9. 4️⃣ ALIGN VIDEO TO SOMETHING OTHER THAN CENTER There's a few people who aren't bothered by the vertical bars you get when watching 16:9 content on a 21:9 monitor. However, they would much prefer if instead of having two thinner black bars on either side of the video, they'd have just one bigger black bar on one side. That way, they can watch their 16:9 video on full screen while also having a bigger space to put their League of Legends chat¹ in while waiting for their match to start. --- ¹or something like that.IDK I'm more of a CSGO guy, so I'll take the guy who asked for this at face value. 5️⃣ MANUAL OVERRIDE FOR PLAYER DETECTION Ultrawidify not working on a site? It's possibe that Ultrawidify can detect the video, but not the video player. If that happens, you can head over to 'Advanced settings' tab in the popup and specify the player element. You can do that by specifying the player node index (gradually increase the number from 1 to ~10) or — if you know how HTML and CSS work — providing the query selector. Sometimes, Ultrawidify won't work because of the quirks in site's CSS. If you know how to fix that kind of issues, 'advanced settings' section of the popup allows you to do so. Remember: sharing is caring. If you manage to fix a website using these tools, consider sharing the solution via email or github. . . : FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS . 1. WHY DOESN'T AUTODETECTION WORK ON <website>? Because the site utilizes DRM/anti-piracy measures, which prevent autodetection from working. . 2. WHY DOESN'T AUTODETECTION DETECT ASPECT RATIO CHANGES INSTANTANEOUSLY? Due to performance reasons, Ultrawidify only checks for aspect ratio changes about three times per second. That means that aspect ratio detection may "lag" by about 300 milliseconds. While the frequency of aspect ratio checks can be increased, Ultrawidify can only check the currently displayed frame. As such, it will always lag by at least one frame. Note that increasing the frequency of aspect ratio checks may result in Chrome becoming laggy and, in extreme cases, even memory leaks as browser's garbage collection is unable to keep up with the scripts. . 3. AUTODETECTION HAS [INSERT A PROBLEM WITH MOVIE CREDITS OR BAKED-IN SUBTITLES] Aspect ratio detection requires a little bit of math to be done. Because doing too much maths can result in your browser not responding properly or even crashing, autodetection must find a compromise between accuracy and doing as little math as possible in order to establish the aspect ratio. Issues with text are result of these tradeoffs. If it bothers you that much, you can disable autodetection (either temporarily, by manually setting aspect ratio, or forever). If you know what you're doing, you can go to extension option and tweak aspect ratio detection parameters. . 4. CAN I ADD A CUSTOM ASPECT RATIO/CUSTOM KEYBOARD SHORTCUT? Yes, but it requires some effort as the UI is currently mildly to majorly broken. . 5. THE EXTENSION BROKE A SITE / DOESN'T WORK FOR A GIVEN SITE You can submit a bug report via email or github. Please include all the details the email/issue template asks for. If the site requires a subscription or is geo-locked, you can also save the page with "Save Page WE" extension and attach the file to the email (if submitting a github issue, you need to put the html file in a zip archive). This will make my life a bit easier. . 6. IS MICROSOFT EDGE THE SAME THING AS GOOGLE CHROME? No. Yes, Edge is chromium-based just like Chrome, but that doesn't mean they're the same thing. In the past, we've had plenty of issues where this extension worked plenty well on Chrome, but not in Edge because Edge had some bugs that Chrome didn't. Here's some of that stuff that has since been solved: https://github.com/tamius-han/ultrawidify/issues/117 . 7. IS OPERA THE SAME THING AS GOOGLE CHROME? No. -- Github's here: https://github.com/xternal7/ultrawidify Full list of features (WIP): https://github.com/xternal7/ultrawidify/wiki
- (2022-08-25) Sathianphong Phongsathian: test some video on youtube with originally 4:3 but uploaded as 16:9, use 4:3 stretch (src) mode, working great when not fullscreen. i have to press f (toggle fullscreen) multiple times to make it work in fullscreen mode tho, quite inconsistency for now
- (2022-08-15) Liquid Rider: For a while this extension was unmatched. Whether it was a recent update on Chrome's end or theirs, the app has become unbearable to work with. Constantly freezing, unable to select settings. Installed reinstalled, even tried using Edge and the same issue occurred. Uninstalling for now, but will check back later.
- (2022-07-26) Thomas Lundy: It just zooms in, so you lose content. I'd presume it would resize the video player, but I guess not. Why bother lose content? I'd rather black bars than missing out on content in the video.
- (2022-07-17) Edi Knezevic: Thank you. Works as I wanted.
- (2022-06-04) Tim Hutt: Doesn't seem to do anything at all on Prime Video (UK) unfortunately.
- (2022-04-29) GalaxyFilmsTV: doesn't work with a curved monitor
- (2022-04-27) Tei Ama: На некоторых сайтах смещает картинку вправо на 20% (
- (2022-04-10) Michael Wozzeck: It used to be bad now it is amazing and I can't live without it thanks for the auto-detection it's so good your work is under appreciated thanks man!
- (2022-04-07) Maximilian Teschner: doesnt work
- (2022-04-06) Fredy Guzman: it does the job
- (2022-04-04) Thepprasit Polaha: ใช้งานใด้ดีเยี้ยมแต่ยังมีปัญหา การตัดขอบสีดำนั้นยังคงมีเหลือให้เห็นอยู่ ฉันอยากให้คุณช้วยแก้ปัญหานี้ และให้ส่วนขยายนี้ใช้งานใด้งายขึ้นอีกเล็กน้อยเช่น ปิด หรือ เปิด ถ้าหากเป็นไปได้ฉันอยากให้คุณทำให้มีภาษาไไทยด้วย
- (2022-03-16) iRokr: Unfortunately, this caused issues with viewing Reddit videos. Switch to the Zoom to Fill which doesn't seem to have an issue.
- (2022-02-22) Benjamin Ehambaram: Doesnt work
- (2022-02-21) Gnider Sol: How I wish Ultrawidify was the first Chrome Extension to appear when I searched for ways to get rid of black bars when watching Netflix. This extension is like the easy plug-and-play setup. I only needed to add it and boom! It does its magic perfectly! Thanks to the brains behind this very helpful program.
- (2021-12-28) Ammon Marstella: doesn't work
- (2021-12-25) 中村巌（RU245）: Works like a charm! 21:9
- (2021-12-20) Aberraton: The auto detection is beautiful sometimes wrongfully detects but very rarely trust I can't live without this it works so well with movies and such has made my viewing experience a dream. One thing I think people forget this is a free extension. Thank you Tamius Han you're an angel
- (2021-12-18) Etherpixel56: works so far .....just what i needed to get rid of em horrible black borders , shouldve used this ALOT earlier, keep it up @dev
- (2021-12-17) Sam Woolf: works
- (2021-12-12) Walter Monzon: It does not work. Crops too much.
- (2021-11-30) Adrian Black: Funciona de manera automática, se ajusta a la ventana y a las pantallas ultra wide, totalmente recomendado
- (2021-11-17) Joseph Thaidigsman: I've used around 10 different widescreen extensions and this one is by far the best. No bugs and it constantly reevaluates videos to stretch them appropriately without any user input. Greatly appreciated.
- (2021-09-21) Anthraxxis (アンスラクシズ): How I didn't think to look for something like this sooner, I don't know. But either way, this works like a charm for me, and better than a couple others I tried. Couldn't ask for more.
- (2021-09-13) Sean Krinsky: No longer works with HBO Max. Screen gets shifted to the right.
- (2021-08-23) Vincent Wendén: Doesnt work on Disney plus or Netflix
- (2021-08-17) Mark Rai: Great app, everything works. Automatically switches from 16 * 9 to 21 * 9 and vice versa. The main thing is to familiarize yourself with the settings and configure the application correctly, otherwise it will not work correctly in certain situations. P.S.All video after adjustment is stretched by itself. Anyone who gives bad grades is just stupid. Отличное приложение, все работает. Автоматически переключается с 16*9 на 21*9 и обратно. Главное ознакомитесь с настройками и правильно настройте приложение, иначе оно будет не корректно работать в определенных ситуациях. Все видео после настройки растягивает сам. Кто ставит плохие оценки просто глуп.
- (2021-08-08) Dennis Vc: Only extension that works as supposed to 32:10 monitor.
- (2021-08-05) Michelle Leynes: Until I find a better app, I don't think I'd ever have it any other way other than ultrawidify. At first I thought this app wasn't working because the configuration seemed a bit complicated, however after I got it to work, watching videos on my 34" monitor has been a D R E A M. My gripe with several other display configuration app catered to those blessed with the ultrawide curse that is black bars, most apps stretch it out in a certain way that erases some of the video in the corners as it's just zoomed in. But hybrid mode has been a God send as it's not overly and obviously stretched out, I truly feel immersed watching youtube and streaming site videos. I have not tried Twitch or Facebook videos yet, so I cannot vouch for those. However thank you so much for such an amazing application, you saved my eyeballs!
- (2021-07-13) DeadWolf: perfeita, muito facil de usar e resolve o problema
- (2021-06-11) Shark Attack: 21 век на дворе а я должен постоянно каждое видео настраивать,сразу нельзя сделать чтобы он ВСЕ видео растягивал? помойка!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- (2021-06-11) Kenneth: it does nothing at all
- (2021-05-30) Da Michl: mega einfach - macht was es verspricht
- (2021-05-30) Sammy: its awesome.. Thank you God bless
- (2021-05-13) Nikhil Sikka: It DOESN'T work, at all. Tried on latest chrome on Disney, Youtube and netflix and amazon prime. It's just a fancy extension with a lot of fancy options that do absolutely nothing
- (2021-05-13) Unmesh Gaikwad: Does what it says was searching for one so bad this works like a charm even in fullscreen for 21:9 Thanx Mate 👍
- (2021-04-18) himansu nayak: Didnt work well on the LG 49wl95c-we 49 inch screen monitor
- (2021-04-14) Walter Gurke: Works perfectly without having to do anything ;D
- (2021-04-13) k ory: gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood
- (2021-04-09) Exodious: This normally works amazing, as it still does for most sites, but disney plus it seems to just sit in the center of my screen with black bars on every side of it. But last week it worked great with disney plus. Very confused.
- (2021-04-06) Lars Holmen-Jensen: Recently videos have been stretched instead of zoomed to fit ultrawide, but this fixed everything for me: "If your video gets stretched instead of cropped, this is because of a recent Nvidia and Chrome bug, as a workaround you should disable hardware acceleration on Chrome advanced settings to avoid this temporal bug."
- (2021-03-30) Dennis Hååg: This fixed Disney plus so that i can watch things in 21:9 without stretch again, instead of fullscreen stretched that just looks wrong.
- (2021-03-20) Tommy Vercetti: The best ultrawide fix extension on here! Supports all video playing/streaming websites that I use, and you can prevent video cropping with the proper settings.
- (2021-03-19) Benjamin Dabel: Not 100% flawless but finally found the right settings to crop the black bars on the sides of Justice League on HBO max when watching a 4:3 movie which was not cropped at its source. Thank you!
- (2021-03-12) Александр Пастухов: Most of the videos on the Internet using this application began to move to the right side of the screen. This cannot be changed in any way in the application settings.
- (2021-03-06) Quentin: Works great!
- (2021-03-06) Nicholas Giustozzi: Non funziona proprio, non serve a nulla!
- (2021-03-05) Power Maker: Why do people rate this extension 1/2 stars??? It works like a charm! I don't know why I didn't search for this earlier.
- (2021-02-28) Captain Tim: I love this extension works well on all of the sites I use except Disney+ I really do hope the maker fixes Disney+ and then this will be a five star review.
- (2021-02-23) Davis Hampton: I just wanted to note the odd use I have for this extension, I don't use an ultrawide monitor, in fact quite the opposite. I use a Raspberry Pi to run current streaming content over composite video to an old CRT television I have. Not every service will display their old content in actual 4:3 often adding bars to the sides and forcing viewers to watch in 16:9, thanks to Ultrawidify I can watch the more difficult services like Disney+, HBO Max, and WWE Network in 4:3 for native 4:3 broadcasts. This program has sated my desire for nostalgia mixed with modern technology, without Ultrawidify I would have been much more limited. Massive thanks to the developer.
- (2021-02-22) Yatman: it took me a while to find this, just the W key and the magic happens, great extension
- (2022-09-19, v:5.1.5) Space Fractal: did not work at all
This plugin did not work at all. So uninstalled. Not either on Chrome or edge. Nothing worked really.
- (2022-06-06, v:5.1.1) Rich Lindberg: Prime
Ultrawidify no longer seems to work for Prime Video as of 6/5/22, especially on The Boys season 3. Could you look in to it please?
- (2021-09-18, v:5.1.0) Luke Skywalker: Extensions no longer work on the latest version of Netflix
Hi there, first of all, thanks for developing this extensions! It's been an awesome companion for the last 1.5 years for me. It seems that after the latest Netflix Chrome player update in September that extensions either don't work or don't work properly/as intended. Video speed controller has lose the ability for clicking interface and can only work via hotkeys while it seems Ultrawidify cannot be used at all. Manually pressing hotkey (D) no longer works to scale the screen. May I ask if there's a workaround the latest Netflix update for Chrome? Or if I can make the keyboard commands for Ultrawidify work again.
- (2021-09-17, v:5.1.0) Ben Pomeranets: Its worked perfect, but now autodetection stopped work at all. I think it was latest patch. Please fix
Its worked perfect, but now autodetection stopped work at all. I think it was latest patch. Please fix
- (2021-08-31, v:5.0.7) Jeff Mitchell: Windows 11, Plex - Background bars are white instead of black
When using Ultrawidify on any browser in Windows 11 with Plex, the background of videos is set to white instead of black. Using the same settings on the same PC in Windows 10, the background is black as expected. Amazon Video seems ok from limited testing. Have not tested other sites yet, Plex is mostly the only thing I use the addon for, now that Netflix UW support is better.
- (2021-07-10, v:5.0.5) женя мухин: Ultrawidify
программа начала растягивать видео просто в лево и право, раньше она растягивала хорошо на 21 : 9 по всем сторонам и вверх, и вниз, и влево, и вправо .а сейчас только влево и право
- (2021-07-04, v:5.0.4) Stephen Chu (朱朱): Interferes with reddit video player control
With this extension enabled, the controls in reddit's video player stops working.
- (2021-03-24, v:22.214.171.124) Ning Du: Can't change shortcuts
I know it is technically experimental, but I can't change the default keyboard shortcuts. I use other extensions in Chrome to change video speed and it also use "R", "D", "A", etc., so I would like to change those shortcuts. The prompt "[Press a key or key combination]" doesn't disappear when I start typing. You can type something random into the prompt, and it will be like [Presjafoeijfgoaiejgoajis a key or key combination]. Also, I delete the prompt and try to type in a key or key combination, when I click "save", nothing is saved. Overall, the extension is really good. I don't have any wired graphics issue mentioned in the comments, just this one simple shortcuts problem. I hope you can look into this. Thanks!
- (2021-01-29, v:4.5.2) Michael Caines: Upscale Not Working
I've been using Ultrawideo on Upscale mode because it usually just zooms in the picture to eliminate the black bars on the left and right. Recently, after the latest update to the extension, Upscale and Stretch both just stretch the picture. Any possible solutions to getting back the way Upscale mode performed previously? Or maybe I'm just missing something?
- (2020-10-31, v:126.96.36.199) Erwin: Apple TV + not apple tv
My macbook pro do not allow Apple TV+ shows to fill the screen.
- (2020-10-22, v:4.4.10) A. J. L.: Fit Height
Please add a setting to scale 1:1 to Fit Height without stretching the width. This will leave black bars on the left and right but will allow you to see the video in maximum size that does not distort the width.
- (2020-09-22, v:4.4.9) Daniel Garcia: Dual Monitors
Hey, I have 2 monitors, one is 21:9 and the other is 16:9, I notice that when I play 21:9 aspect ratio videos on my 16:9 monitor it tends to place the video space on the top of the screen with a large black area on the bottom. Is there anyway to have the video stay in vertical center on my 16:9 monitor while still doing the auto-detect on my 21:9 monitor? Otherwise, this app works great!
- (2020-04-25, v:4.4.7) Sidilamine_kt 1: Ultrawidify for YouTube
Ultrawiidify for YouTube
- (2019-03-26, v:3.2.2) Gustavo Campi: Crop allignment
hey can you add an option to crop on top? because every movie i watch it cut a part in the forehead and to me its annoying, i really aprecciate that! Thanks for the app and for read this.
- (2018-10-23, v:3.2.2) Eric Kupitz: settings don't stay in place
can't change settings and the default is set to whitelist but you can't put anything on whitelist because as soon as you do and close the settings it reverts back to default. i see everyone telling you to revert and seems like you are just too bull headed to do it. sad but your choice.
- (2018-09-07, v:3.1.1) Doesn't work for me
Frensh user, and this extention dos'ent work for me ... i can't change anythings, anythings work :(
- (2018-08-27, v:3.0.1) Christian Lancaster: Reviews
Read the reviews - everything was 5 stars until the new version came out now everyone is rating this 1 star - please revert back to the old version.
- (2018-07-13, v:2.2.5) Георгий Селиванов: auto cancel
Bro, it works like a charm, but unfortunately the checkbox for autodetection and the whitelist for youtube are off everytime i start the browser! I have to turn them on manually each time. Really annoying! With this issue fixed, the addon would be A+, one-of-a-kind thing.
- (2018-05-19, v:2.2.5) Alex Giehrl: Automode cancels
Every time i change to another side, the auto detect function disables itself to reduce lag? Very Dissapointing. Please fix this i love the extension when it works.
- (2018-03-03, v:2.1.2) extension
it doesn't work anymore
- (2018-01-19, v:2.0.3) Raitis: Lastest Update
Dude?! Why the hell did you remove the best function this addon had? The buttons on youtube videos. It's such a hassle to go to the settings and change stuff manually, especially if you don't want it for every video. It's so unpractical, I'm removing this addon and I'll only consider re-instaling if you bring back they youtube player buttons.
- (2018-01-10, v:2.0.1) Кирилл Мялик: Update issue
After update nothing working, this expansion looks grey in the top right of GC but its on in settings, i also missed all the buttons like make video wider in the vertical or horizaontal, when i try to fix it it opens me some kind of fast button settings but they dont work
- (2018-01-09, v:2.0.1) Connor Puckett: Keyboard Shortcuts don't Work, Bring back the Buttons!
They keyboard shortcuts wouldn't be a problem if they worked, the save button is un-clickable in the settings for this app. Since everybody used this app primarily for youtube, I would appreciate the return of the buttons that actually worked. Heck, make it a youtube exclusive feature, just bring them back.