Cycle through last used Chrome tabs using keyboard shortcut.
This extension tries to mimic the ALT+TAB behavior from Windows(or Command+TAB in Mac) to allow to switch between open tabs in a Most Recently Used fashion. It remembers the order in which you switched tabs (made a tab active) and it updates its records so that you can switch to the recently used ones quickly. Note: Sometimes after updating the extension the keyboard shortcut settings get reset. Hence you might want to set the desired key board shortcuts again in the keyboard shortcut settings in the Chrome Extensions page. Please rate and comment. The project is made open source in GitHub: https://github.com/harshayburadkar/clut-chrome-extension.git Default Keys*: ALT+W: Quick switch ALT + S: Normal switch ALT + Shift + S: Normal switch (in opposite direction) *Keys can be changed in keyboard shortcut settings on the Chrome extensions page. =Quick switch=: Use for rapid switching to last tab (by pressing once) or to the second to last used tab(by pressing rapidly twice) and so on. =Normal switch=: Use when you want to look for a tab recently used but when you would want to go in a slower pace (needing to glimpse for a bit to see if it is the page you need) Most other extensions meant to accomplish the same thing don’t work well since there are some limitations/difficulties in the Chrome API. This extension uses some basic algorithms and timers of intervals between key presses to get over these problems. That is the reason there is separate keys for quick and slower switches with different timer settings. Features: * Can cycle through ALL open tabs from all Chrome windows in a most recently used order * Extension DOES NOT need access to any of your visited website's data * Can work through tabs across different Chrome windows * Snappy and fast switches FAQ: - Why are there two sets of shortcuts one for quick switch and one for a slower switch. Isn’t it possible to simplify like ALT+TAB behavior ? A: There are some restrictions in Chrome API which makes it difficult to implement this feature in the most natural way. The intention was to make this extension work as close to Alt+Tab in Windows (or Cmd+Tab for Mac). Unfortunately due to these limitations though, this extension relies on time intervals in between your key presses. That is the reason there is a concept of quick switch (faster timer) and a normal switch (slower timer). - Where can I change the shortcut key for switching tabs ? A: To change shortcut, go to the Extensions pane in your Chrome browser and in the bottom of the list of extensions find the Keyboard Shortcuts link. You can change keyboard shortcuts of your installed extensions and apps here. Note: Few shortcuts may be not allowed to be set by Chrome if Chrome itself uses that shortcut or the shortcut is needed for system level operations. Feel free to post feedback, comments and suggestions.
- (2020-07-01) Jackson Scholberg: Works great, but don't understand the appeal of 'rapid' switching backward. I wish as long as ctrl is pressed, it would continue backwards every time tab is pressed instead of having to press it 'rapidly'. Like how the app-switcher for macOS works. You don't need to be 'rapid' about switching through the MRU list... That is just silly. But solid extension otherwise.
- (2020-04-14) Alexis Ramírez: just i need this!! Thanks!
- (2020-04-10) JoGa Leone: perfect complement to 'go to playing tab' if you have multiple chrome windows/tabs open
- (2020-04-01) Matias Rossi: This is exactly what I was loking for. Thank you Harshay.
- (2020-02-27) Eduardo Simioni: Is there any way to get it to work on Brave Browser?
- (2020-02-06) Mark Wiesinger: Thank you so much! Up to now it has been working great :D
- (2019-12-09) Alex Nguyen: This is a must-have extension. I'm using this on Edge Dev. I've stopped using Chrome PURELY because of lack of support for the correct way to implement Ctrl-Tab out of the box!
- (2019-11-18) Vinay Saini: Exactly what I wanted. Thanks!
- (2019-11-04) Parth Devloper: very good
- (2019-09-25) Muhammad S Maromi: I wonder why it's not told that the command is ALT ( + Shift) + S
- (2019-09-12) 李越宁: Normal switch 最大程度上模拟了一些 IDE ctrl+tab 的行为。可惜扩展程序不能监听按键，松开 ctrl 键时 unshift 才是正道，而不是通过按键间隔模拟。
- (2019-08-26) Daniel Zaretsky: most useful extension in a long time. use it with auto hot key to activate last tab. its burned into my muscle memory, so i can't live without it!
- (2019-08-05) Jeff Pearson: Thank you! Works flawlessly and saves me from crying into my keyboard.
- (2019-08-02) Nick Leonard: This is THE extension I use most often. Love it!
- (2019-07-21) Антон: Not working as advertised.
- (2019-07-16) Renato Moraes: It really works!
- (2019-07-15) Tomasz CEDRO: cannot remap recently switched tabs keyboard shortcut to Alt+Tab on macOS Chrome 75.0.3770.100 :-(
- (2019-06-20) Otávio Augusto: Amazing!
- (2019-06-06) Il Re Enomis: Now with Chrome version 75.0.3770.80, the shortcuts can be edited under chrome://extensions/shortcuts (or from the sandwich menu on the upper left, once on extensions)
- (2019-05-26) Herbert Kunze: Sehr, sehr praktische Funktion. Vielen Dank an den Entwickler!!
- (2019-03-29) Nicholas Prato: It's working for me!
- (2019-03-25) Ree: wondiw10 no wokr
- (2018-12-15) Cezary Drożak: It is not perfect, but with Chrome API's limitations it is the best you can get. For me it's a must-have.
- (2018-12-14) Yikai Wang: Doesn't work anymore on Windows and latest Chrome. Can you please check? Thanks!
- (2018-11-14) Mario Mitchell: Exactly what you need if you write code! Love it!
- (2020-05-19, v:1.6) wood stock: Unclear description in keyboard setting reset
Hi, The description regarding the need to reset keyboard setting is quite confusing to me. Are you referring to some options in your extension's option page (which is always grayed out), or some global setting in chrome (which I cannot find)? Please clarify. Thanks!
- (2019-02-26, v:1.6) Tudor Milencovici: Remapping to CTRL+Tab CTRL+Shift+Tab
Hi, Is it at all possible to map the tab navigation to the standard CTRL+Tab CTRL+Shift+Tab? If I try to define the combination, I am moved away from the settings tab :) and if this is the only opened tab, nothing happens. It would be nice to be able to do this - would make this standard behaviour. Thanks and... great work!
- (2019-02-19, v:1.6) Rick Sims: Which open source license?
Hello - can you tell me which open source license you released this under? Trying to get this approved at my place of work, but they will only approve software released under certain licenses. Can you add this information to your GIT page? That is where they verify the open source license. I use this at home and can barely use Chrome without it! Thanks for creating a great extension!
- (2018-11-15, v:1.6) Hosting NSB: Cant type in chrome sometimes when extension enabled
I love this extension and can't imagine working without it, but recently I have been having a problem. When switching back into chrome from another program I cannot type anything, I have to trigger my recent tab and then I can type again. I have turned the extension off to make sure its that and it appears to be the issue. Has anyone else had this issue and know of a way to fix? Thank you!
- (2018-10-24, v:1.6) Shortcut for Mac ?
Hey, I just got a recent mac machine and I am trying to figure out the shortcut combination for CLUT on Mac.
- (2018-09-11, v:1.6) Peter Lecki: icon
I think your icon leaves a little to be desired. It's really small to where you can't really see what it says in the small font. And it shouldn't really be text to begin with. It should be an icon that makes it obvious what it does. For example, check out the icon for a very similar extension: Last Tab Back or Alt + Q Switch Tabs Keyboard Shortcut. I keep having to manually change the icons so it makes more sense but it's a pain the butt because I gotta do it on each computer I use.
- (2018-08-28, v:1.6) Robert Laverty: [PRIVACY] This extension tracks your online activity...
The proof is in the source code: https://github.com/harshayburadkar/clut-chrome-extension/blob/master/background.js#L350 Granted the times have changed quite a bit since 2016, but users should be aware that this extension imports Google Analytics with `_trackPageview` enabled.
- (2018-08-10, v:1.6) Jay Gillibrand: Not switch windows?
Is there any way to disable the behavior where it switches between windows? I expect switching tabs to be confined to a window. I find it really frustrating when I alt-tab to a window, then try to ctrl-tab between it's tabs only to be taken back to the previous window.
- (2018-06-25, v:1.6) Paul Mongré: Preferences no longer accessible
Since a recent update of Chrome, "Options" is greyed out in the CLUT menu. That means hotkeys can't be set anymore.
- (2018-06-12, v:1.6) Thomas Krog: supporting a slow tab switch
Suggestion (just a nice to have): you could make a alt+shift+w hotkey where you have fx. 5 seconds between you keypresses - so you have time to read the headline of the page and consider "is it this page I want to access?" (if you can read when the alt key is released/pressed you could make a single hotkey that supports both fast and slow users - but the chrome extensions might not have access to released and pressed for the alt key)
- (2018-06-12, v:1.6) Thomas Krog: Hotkeys
Nice extension! Here is some basic info: - the default hotkey is alt+w - you need to press the hotkey fast if you want to go through several tabs (back in history) - in order to change hotkey you should go to "manage extensions" page click settings and "keyboard shortcuts" (Chrome does not allow you to change it to ctrl+tab)