Convert japanese text (kanji, kana) to latin (roumaji)
Furigana (振り仮名) is chrome extension that convert kanji (japanese text) to furigana, that is a japanese text with small hints above each word how to pronounce it. For known words it also displays english meaning of the word. It uses my own dictionary-based kanji tokenizer. Data are from EDICT dictionary plus my own data. Unlike similar extensions (e.g. IPA Furigana), this one converts all kanji, not just the hard ones. It also converts hiragana and katakana. For example: Original: 時速５０１キロ体験！リニアモーターカー車内映像 ！ Furigana: jisoku 501 kiro taiken! rinia mootaakaa shanai eizou! IPA Furigana: jisoku ５０１キロ taiken ！リニアモーターカーshanai eizou! How to use it? Select text you want to translate. Right-click to display context menu and choose "Furigana" with yellow icon. This will translate selected text. Because sometimes it hard to select entire sentence, especially around the edges, when you select the middle of sentence, entire block of text will be translated. You can also translate text in popup window (click on yellow icon in upper right corner, type text and press button "Furigana"). You can add new words to dictionary and publish it for others.
- (2021-08-24) Jadiel Lima: I'm very satisfied, Thanks!
- (2020-09-24) Luiz Almeida: It`s a really bad app. There`s no meaning using romaji as furigana, if you cant read hiragana you don`t know japanese. Furigana is to show kanji readings, not hiragana. Also, You have to copy the text to the app window. Why the hell?
- (2020-03-08) blueYOSHI: Would be perfect for what I need it but the patreon reminder is a bit too annoying imo. I don't mind a reminder in itself but laying it on top of the results is a bit too much. No need to remove it, just place it below the results or at least make it half transparent, that's all I'd ask for but having to hide it every single time just to see the results really is annoying.
- (2019-06-11) Bboy Krillin: Would be a great extension if it displayed hiragana above the kanji. Romaji isn't ideal. Very disappointing.
- (2019-05-26) Brett Sanson: Furigana should have hiragana above the kanji, not romaji.
- (2019-01-23) Luis Fernandez: can it be like in the image, convert the kanas to romaji on the page and not in a text box? the image looks amazing
- (2018-09-06) HitokageProduction: Exactly what I've been looking for. Pity that there is no shortcut and one has to right click and select but that's just a minor detail.
- (2018-08-02) Graeme Rock: Too many clicks and navigation to trnaslate
- (2018-02-23) Yu Ze: working with roumaji (Latin transcription)
- (2017-10-12) bentocalb blacbento: usefull
- (2017-07-29) Mary De La Garza: Has many options and would be a great extension, but there seems to be zero support for kana of either kind -- everything is in roumaji. To the developer, you do not need to know how to read hiragana to add support for it! All you need to do is to look at a table of hiragana while you write the code.
- (2017-01-09) William Cedervall: Didn't work for alot of kanji
- (2016-07-30) Z Binghui: 希望能在汉字上显示仮名
- (2015-09-26) Yamui: It works and converts to roumaji, but not like the Screenshots show its features. Its just a Convert-Popup not a fulltext transcription
- (2021-06-02, v:3.0.86) Austin Burk: Available as a node module?
It would be really nice to integrate this functionality into a small web community site I'm working on. I only know English but I'm developing it for a Japanese audience, and it would be helpful to be able to tailor it to work within the application.
- (2017-06-28, v:3.0.78) arystar krory: Toggle the display
Extension works great, only thing is there is no way to toggle it on and off. It can only translate it. Theres no way to switch it off other than to refresh the page. Which quite the hassle if there s alot of text that was translated when only wanting to display certain text.
- (2017-06-09, v:3.0.78) Felina Faerlaingal: Auto-activating
It's a rather nice extension but you should make it automated. Maybe an option that when checked make the addon do it's thing automatically on any pages encountered instead of having us do the right click thing all the time