This extension allows the user to easily insert accented characters
**IMPORTANT** This does not work in Google Docs, Google Search, or Gmail, due to their design. After installing the extension, try it out in https://www.editpad.org/ to see if it works. This extension allows you to easily insert accented characters through fast and intuitive key combinations. To insert an accented character, type Control+Accent, followed by the character. For example, to insert an á, you would type Control + ' followed by a. Note: Press and hold down Control. Then press the accent key. Release both keys and press the character the accent should be applied to. ## Key Combinations ##: Control + ' + character = acute accent (á) Control + ` + character = grave accent (à) Control + ~ + character = tilde accent (ã) Control + : + character = umlaut/diaeresis (ï) Control + ^ + character = circumflex accent (â) Control + , + character = cedilla accent (ç) Control + 0 + character = ring accent (å) Control + ^ + character = caron accent (š) Control + Shift + ? = spanish question mark (¿) Control + ! + ! = spanish exclamation mark (¡) The plugin requires read keystroke and modify content permissions so the extension can accept key combinations and insert characters.
- (2020-11-04) Jerry Z.: This extension doesn't even work at all!
- (2020-11-02) Christian Brechbühler: As advertised, it works on https://www.editpad.org/. No restart required. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work on any other website, at least none that I tried. I'm removing it again. (Google Chrome browser on Ubuntu 18.04.)
- (2020-10-23) manni v: Works after a chrome restart, but not everywhere e.g. search bar in gmail works but not writing an email, outlook doesnt work, etc. but WORKS on duolingo :)
- (2020-08-20) - trek: Using for learning foreign languages on Duolingo The hot key combinations are intuitive and require fewer keystrokes than the alt+number pad combinations, and it works perfectly for me on Windows 10, Chrome v84. It does not work in Chrome on my Android tablet, though there is a workaround using other browsers available through the Play Store. I tested FastAccent installed with the Yandex browser and it does work on my tablet with a Bluetooth keyboard connected.
- (2020-03-25) Jul S: it doesn't work at all
- (2019-12-05) Cheeseek.: расширение не работает! как сделать так, чтобы оно заработало?
- (2019-11-25) Anthony Morassutti: Pretty good; but Slight problem: how to add cap??
- (2019-11-14) Charlie King-Miller: Works in some places, not others. Doesn't work in the omnibar, though once you get to google it works fine. Doesn't work in any of the Office 365 online tools, which is what I got it for.
- (2019-10-06) DenzoWenzo: Some commands appear to be different to what's stated in the description. For me, running on a Windows 10 PC (with a UK keyboard), here are the commands that I have found. (1 space between keys means you press the keys together, 3 spaces means you type in sequence) Control # a = á Control ` a = à Control @ a = ã Control : a = ä Control ^ a = â Control , c = ç Control 0 a = å (I couldn't figure out how to do š) Control ? ? = ¿ Control ! ! = ¡
- (2019-09-13) Avoyt Doukas: Ít wörkš! However, it doesn't appear to have support for the esset (ß), so it doesn't quite fulfill my needs. You have to restart Chrome after installing it, btw.
- (2019-08-10) Sam B: Worked/works great.
- (2019-07-04) Kat Nelson: It works fairly well once I figured out they keyboard shortcuts, but none of them are even remotely close to what it says in the description. Figured out most of them through trial and error (most of them are control/option + (one of the letters along the top row of the keyboard). that will give you the accent mark, then you pick the letter you want to use it on. So "á" according to the description should have been control + `+ a, which gave me nothing and I assumed the plugin didn't work, but I found out the actual combination to get it to work was option + e, which gave me the ´ mark, then a. At first I thought it was just because I was on a mac and the devs forgot to post the combinations for mac, but looking at the other comments it seems like everyone is having the same or similar issues.
- (2019-06-17) Len Hazell: Utter waste of time does not work at all
- (2018-12-30) Sean Anstey: Works well, other than in google... the banner image is conflicting with the description but besides that it works as needed. with it was as easy as mac though. nice work.
- (2018-11-09) Jake Hanson: Works great; maybe the people saying it didn't work forgot to restart chrome before expecting it to work, but once I restarted chrome the combinations work just fine (I'm using it for french btw, can't attest to other accents)
- (2018-09-04) Sherwin Lai: This actually works and saves me a bunch of time!
- (2018-07-10) Noddie: Didn't work at all. Rubbish extension that should be deleted. DO NOT, I repeat, NO NOT get this extension! It's a complete waste of time.....
- (2017-12-18) I didn't understand how to use it with my AZERTY keyboard.
- (2017-09-13) Jens Behrens: Seems not to work with German Umlauts. Pity.
- (2017-09-11) Rocío Camargo: Doesn't work.
- (2017-07-20) Thomas Hudson: It doesn't work on Chromium in Ubuntu 17.04.
- (2017-06-24) Robert Turin: It is a great concept but it doesn't work for some reason. If it worked it be gold! I'd even pay money for it!
- (2017-06-14) Matt: Great concept! I wish it worked on Chrome OS v59. I tried it everywhere. Tried all possible keyboard shortcuts. Even tried a reboot.
- (2017-03-23) Kucoo Kucoo: really convenient to enter some French/Spanish characters without searching Unicode number!
- (2017-01-24) M.s S: very useful!
- (2020-06-25, v:0.2.0) Nick: Macrons for vowels
Hi, I like your extension, thanks for making it! I was wondering if you could extend it for Māori? The language needs macrons for only the vowels, only A, E, I, O, U (not Y) in both upper and lower case. It's just one symbol in each case, a flat symbol over the vowel. Eg "ē" and "Ē". Not sure what the shortcut would need to be, since Chrome has already grabbed both Ctrl-dash and Ctrl-Shift-dash.
- (2020-05-11, v:0.2.0) Jamyre: Outlook
This works great, but is there any way you could make it work on Outlook and other Office 365 products? If there's not that's fine, but I saw someone else in your reviews with this same problem.
- (2020-01-19, v:0.2.0) George Killen: try and make it work on google docs because a lot of people use it
- (2019-02-10, v:0.2.0) Erik Demaine: Missing accents
Two letters I wanted to be able to type today were ǎ (LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH CARON) and ş (LATIN SMALL LETTER S WITH CEDILLA). This extension supports caron, but uses the same keys (ctrl-^) for caron and circumflex, so ctrl-^ a produces â, making ǎ inaccessible. I'm not sure what the best key sequence is for this... This extension also supports cedilla such as ç via ctrl-, c but does not seem to support other cedilla characters like ş. This one should be easy to fix.
- (2019-01-24, v:0.2.0) Gwenael Rabut: Not working
Hello, I would love to use your extension to type accents, but it is not working for me. Is there any special setting I need to adjust ? Thank you very much in advance, Best wishes, Gwenael
- (2018-09-25, v:0.2.0) Gavin Hatcher: Doesn't Work
Wish I could do my spanish homework
- (2017-09-11, v:0.2.0) Rocío Camargo: Doesn't work
I really wish this worked! I want to use chrome instead of firefox with a certain web program for work. I need this feature as I'm typing in Spanish all day.
- (2017-08-11, v:0.2.0) French
How can we use this for all the French accents? Are there codes for these that I am not seeing? I only see a few available.
- (2017-06-14, v:0.2.0) Matt: doesn't work on Chrome OS v59
I tried it everywhere. Tried all possible keyboard shortcuts. Even tried a reboot.
- (2017-05-03, v:0.1.0) Sherwin Lai: Upside down question marks and exclamation points
How do I type those? thanks