Disables tabs for tab-less browsing
This extension disables tabbed browsing. Rather than opening new tabs, your browser will open windows wherever possible. * Why would you want to disable tabs? Because I always find it difficult to find the tab I'm looking for. Tabs obscure the browsing experience, and I find it far easier to browse the web when I can see all of my windows at once. Most modern operating systems can arrange windows elegantly and efficiently, making tabs defunct. * If you don't like tabs, then just don't use them! You don't need an extension for that Increasingly, browsers force tabs on you by default. It does not provide an option to default to using windows rather than tabs. This extension overrides that behaviour to open windows instead, to make it seamless for users like myself. * Why should I use Tab-less rather than New Tab, New Window? 1. Tab-less does not require any access to your browsing history at all (most extensions require access to your browsing history or the current page you're viewing). 2. It's designed to be as light-weight and simplistic as possible. 3. There's no magic, it just moves tabs to a new window, whenever they're opened (using the default settings for a new window). All of the code for this extension is open-sourced and can be found online at https://github.com/iainbeeston/tab-less. I'd be happy to receive any feedback, hear about any bugs or accept any pull-requests for new code at that address.
- (2020-12-20) Matej Chalupka: Perfect add-on.
- (2020-11-07) SC: Your child can just right-click and remove from Chrome, rendering this extension completely useless.
- (2020-10-06) Mike G: This cool extension lets you experience browsing without tabs. Well basically I was just curious, so I installed it on a Chrome/desktop. Works great, no problems at all. Of course the browsing experience is different, and at this point I'm not totally sure which I like better, but at least now I have a choice. Hats off to the programmer!
- (2020-08-28) Gerald Shudy: So, you get used to alt-tabbing through the bazillion windows you have open on your desktop and seeing the thumbnail to know what you're looking at. But then your browser simply shows the current tab. And you have three browser instances open, each with multiple tabs. How do you know which browser has the tab you're looking for? Ugh! This solves the problem by opening a new browser instance instead of allowing a stack of tabs that you can't see when you hit Win-Tab or Alt-Tab.
- (2020-07-06) James Fox: Works exactly as described. Much appreciated!
- (2020-04-14) Carter Adams: I use Chromium to test and debug sites and webapps I am developing. I have bad ADD and shouldn't be opening up random sites while developing. Hell, I stopped working to go find this plugin. Anyway, this lets me have a browser exclusively for focusing on my work and not for browsing. I use Brave for browsing.
- (2020-04-09) April Pujol: Couldn't be easier to switch to tab-less browsing!
- (2020-04-07) Eric Eskildsen: Perfect for window-switchers with search capabilities like Switcheroo or Rofi.
- (2020-02-14) M Henderson: So sorry there's no setting for this. Thank you soooo much!
- (2019-10-12) Ananstracated: This doesn't force only 1 tab, it forces multiple instances of chrome, like having an old browser. so now my 3 tabs are three chrome windows, and that isnt what I want either. To me forcing 1 tab, means it will not open new chrome browser windows, which in this case, is just a bunch of tabs that are not joined.
- (2019-09-02) Kyfho B: I am so happy that this extension exists.... This is the only reason I am now using Chrome again
- (2019-04-26) Dmitriy Zelinskiy: As advertised, no feature creep, no bugs as far as i've used it... Just switched to i3 window manager and linux. This extension makes chrome fit the ideology of tiling window managers.
- (2019-03-07) Petr Shevtsov: Works awesome with my i3wm setup!
- (2019-02-19) Philip Bridger: The only thing missing is the ability to temporarily disabling the extension without needing to go to the extensions.
- (2018-12-10) Vicente Florida: tabs are overrated. dock view is super useful now. great simple extension.
- (2018-09-25) Eduardo Sá: Now in Chromium is sadly not working.
- (2018-04-09) Oliver C. Colic: Exactly what Chrome was missing - I HATED their idea of pushing tabs on people, even if it's less efficient for power users!
- (2018-01-04) Linda Campanella: Thank you a thousand times! Good-bye, tabs!!
- (2017-12-04) Eric Arseneau: Wish Chrome had this build in, but this is a most excellent substitute. Have had no issues in the year I've used it.
- (2017-04-18) Regrettable Stitches: This is a total life-saver. Amazing, simple, removes all the hair-tearing frustration of trying to adapt a streamlined tabless process to tab use.
- (2017-01-04) Thomas Biesaart: Great and simple extension. Does exactly what it is supposed to do: Open all tabs in new windows. It would be perfect if it would also hide the tab bar, but I don't know if this is technically possible.
- (2016-10-28) Yuichi Kikuchi: Chrome should provide this option by default
- (2016-07-14) Robert Giaquinta: It's about time that there's finally a way to get rid of tabbed browsing in chrome. This is a game changer... atl-tab works again! This will remove frustration for me hundreds of times per day.
- (2015-01-31) ikaruseijin01: Unlike Windows, which is a half-assed GUI, Mac has no issue with multiple windows, and as such there is no need for tabs, in fact they're very annoying. I only use browsers that can have the tabs turned off. Now Chrome can do that too.
- (2015-01-05) senselocke: Did what it was supposed to do, but as of December 2014, new windows cascade instead of remain maximized (or same size as parent). Until this is fixed, "New Tab, New Window" works better.
- (2013-09-16) Charl Botha: 5 stars because you decided to make this extension, and because you open-sourced it! I agree entirely with your motivation for tab-less browsing. My window manager (Unity on Ubuntu, I'm one of the 3 people that like it) was designed to work with multiple windows. Plus, using Alt-Tab to jump to and fro between two windows is hard-wired. Chrome with tabs takes that away from me.
- (2013-07-25) Plamen Djonev: this one is the only way i can use chrome, i will remove it if there is no way for tabless browsing as a suggestion: new window offset is too small, it should be at least the height of the title bar an option new window to be opened in background
- (2013-05-12) Andreas Lund: Perfect
- (2018-09-24, v:0.5.1) no longer works
It no longer works in chrome please advise.
- (2018-09-24, v:0.5.0) Igor Š: Stopped working after Chrome update
Stopped working after Chrome update Version 69.0.3497.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)
- (2018-03-28, v:0.4.0) Suddenly Tabs
So I came in to work this morning and found that Tabless had suddenly and mysteriously stopped working, and I can't get it going again. Help! I am being buried by tabs!
- (2017-06-02, v:0.4.0) Jon Sykes: Very nice!
I've given tabs a good 5 years to be very sure they are not for me - so I was very happy to find your extension while at the end of my tether. Thank you! Having used it briefly, my immediate feedback would be not to resize the windows upon opening - perhaps you could keep it the same size as the origin window? If you could implement that, it would be perfect for me.
- (2016-04-21, v:0.4.0) Still Seeing Tabs
I wanted to disable tabs, so that I didn't see them. Seems not to be possible.
- (2015-08-09, v:0.4.0) How did you get so awesome?
I can't rate your extension since to do so I would be forced to join up with that atrocious Google+ site but I wanted to say "I love it" anyway. You deserve a full 5 stars, and I never give those.
- (2015-08-06, v:0.4.0) Charles Slutz: Pushing App through Domain
Working in a school it would be helpful to be able to disable tabs. If this app is pushed through the admin panel will it automatically be effective or will the student need to activate it? Thanks
- (2015-04-10, v:0.3.6) One Tabless One Tab
Hey, are you able to make one tab tabless and the others tabful?