ToggleLink: Converts the link to text for copy, select or highlight of link text. Toggles the link and helps you select link text.
Have you ever tried to select some text from a link? How cumbersome and annoying it is? Very much !!! What you would normally do is carefully put the cursor at the beginning or end of link, click and slowly drag until the wanted text. Then you would paste the copied text somewhere and delete words you don't want to. What a crap! isn't it? Now, with this chrome extension, it's easy and snappy. All you need to do is press shift key while hovering the link. You will only see the text and can click anywhere to select a part or whole link text. It will change back to original form after five seconds of pressing shift key or selecting 'ToggleLink' in right click option. Steps: 1. Just put your mouse cursor over the link. Don't click the link. 2. Press 'Shift' key. You don't need to hold it. Just press shift key and leave it. or 2. Right click and select 'ToggleLink' 3. Now your link is converted to Text only. 4. You can copy/highlight/double-click some or all of the link text. 5. After twenty five seconds (yes! no longer 5 sec), the original link will be back to normal Version 5.1 now includes context menu so that you can right click and select 'ToggleLink' for easy conversion of link to text. Please add your comments and suggestions. Also don't forget to install highly useful clipboard extension, Smart Clipboard : https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/bhpmmnjmgiokghailccccelnmhcgoakb
- (2021-10-28) Vlad G: Doesn't work. I tried several methods with shift method and right clicking and selecting the needed option, it never worked.
- (2021-05-02) Andreas: Stopped working.
- (2021-02-25) Сергей Пименов: хуета
- (2020-08-28) dust Star: Works great in Youtube. Thanks for making this~
- (2020-08-14) Anton S: doesn't work
- (2019-07-30) Brandon Jewett-Hall: Doesn''t work on my MacBook with Chrome 75.0.3770.142. When I hold down Shift and click and drag on link text, the browser still tries to drag the whole link somewhere as a bookmark or some such.
- (2018-03-14) Dominica Parkhurst: Works well but too many clicks to copy link text.
- (2017-09-24) Gabor Müller: if the cursor is above an image, pressing shift makes the image dissapear. this creates conflicts with other extensions. please repair! otherwise, great extension!
- (2017-08-26) Pranav Devati: So simple and and such a great idea. Works almost everywhere
- (2017-08-10) Jeffrey Norden: Doesn't work for me either. Too bad.
- (2017-06-15) Сергей Попов: Незаменимая штука!
- (2017-06-03) Joe Bradley: Works well! Thank you developer ajoshi. However operation not intuitive. Found helpful suggestion under support tab posted by Gnouveli - Aug 18, 2015, "Hold right-click and select text by left-click and then to end it by release the left-click first before the right-click. it's like the way that shift-key works."
- (2017-05-21) Daniel Hitzel: Awesome!!!!
- (2017-05-18) Ning Cao: good
- (2017-03-29) 夕若逸: beautiful!!!!
- (2017-03-22) Nicholas Conrad: No instructions in the extension, have to read how to use in the web store page. Also, doesn't seem to work.
- (2017-01-14) Sadhguru Sir: This is what I needed
- (2016-09-26) This isn't working.
- (2016-06-14) Tu Ngo: Good. Please decrease the timeout or let me set it in a setting field!
- (2016-04-26) Patrick Kasarski: does nothing
- (2016-02-22) Don Lorusso: Use this at least 20 times a day.
- (2015-07-29) Reid Wilcox: Very simple and useful function. It might not work everywhere, but it is pretty consistent on most text.
- (2015-02-23) Vikrant Singh: great tool.
- (2015-01-21) Marcel Partap: ..using it all the time, especially useful together with the "selection search" extension. Thanks!
- (2014-12-22) Alex Petrov: Спасибо! Если ссылка текстовая, а не картинка, то работает всегда. Только не сразу разобрался, что нажатие SHIFT должно быть двойное. Конечно, неплохо было бы назначать горячие клавиши по своему усмотрению и иметь возможность менять время замены. Только по этому оценка хорошо, а не отлично. Спасибо.
- (2014-11-04) alexander taylor: this app is cruel. the 5 second time limit is just mean for anyone who is trying to select text that doesn't happen to be easy to select for whatever reason -- bad eyesight, a remote connection, a hard-to-use mouse, text with small font size or large amount of text. even worse than not working, it stresses me out!
- (2014-08-19) Jeff Kang: Mnemonic (underlined letter) access key for fast keyboard activation After right clicking and bringing up the context menu, the extension name should have a mnemonic (underlined letter) access key so that I can quickly activate its with the keyboard. Choose time that hyperlink is toggled off Also, please consider allowing us to decide how long a hyperlink is toggled off, instead of setting the time only at 5 seconds.
- (2014-03-14) Artem Kanash: работает только на ссылках, но в браузере ещё много всякого текста бывает, который обычно перетаскивается вместо выделения. Вот тут это расширение уже не помогает
- (2014-02-28) Asami Aurelius: it seems not working any more.
- (2019-02-20, v:5.1) Link text search
Is it possible to integrate this with the built in search engines? I.e right click a link (which grabs its text) to search with a search engine?
- (2018-01-07, v:5.1) Papa Jones: Suggestion
Hello, I have used this extension and it worked very well. However, I found the need to get the link back by pressing a key (just as the "Shift" key is pressed to convert the link to text). Can you please implement this such that after converting to text, by tapping the "Shift" key again, it gets converted to a link. Thanks & Regards
- (2017-03-06, v:5.1) Carlos Martínez: Not working
- (2016-07-21, v:5.1) Danil Lopatin: Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'text' of undefined
if (a) b = f; a = b.text(); => if (a) b = f; if(!b) return; a = b.text(); Замените пожалуйста :<
- (2016-04-26, v:5.1) Patrick Kasarski: Doesn't work
- (2015-11-05, v:5.1) Jim Fisher: Does nothing
This does not work. It makes no difference to the behavior of the browser except to add a line to the context menu which does nothing when clicked.
- (2015-08-18, v:5.1) Muhammad Rizky: Advice: make another option to this
this idea i suggest is the way without keyboard. I mean, it can works with only mouse way. Hold right-click and select text by left-click and then to end it by release the left-click first before the right-click. it's like the way that shift-key works.
- (2013-07-28, v:1.3) m. s.: Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'text' of undefined select_text.js:1
- (2013-01-12, v:1.3) Roded: Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'text' of undefined
if (a) b = f; a = b.text(); In some cases, b is null/undefined...
- (2012-12-07, v:1.3) r w: not functioning
- (2012-11-05, v:1.3) Boris Gorobets: Setting
Прога супер, но: 1. Хотелось видеть настройку изменения кнопку shift на F2(или другую, для меня это оптимальный вариант) 2. Возможность устанавливать время задержки.