Make calls, preview Inbox, and get notified of new messages. (US only)
Extension Features: - Lets you initiate calls by just typing any number or contact name. - Makes phone numbers on websites callable via Google Voice by just clicking on them. - If a phone number doesn't turn into a link on any website (ex: Google Calendar), you can select the text with your mouse and the click to call popup will automatically display (note: might not work with all numbers). Info: - If you don't like the extension turning numbers into click to call links then you can turn it off in the extension options. Known issues: - Incompatible with the Skype extension. If the Skype extension is installed then the Voice extension will not turn numbers into call links. - Sometimes your forwarding phone list will be empty. If this happens make sure you are logged in to http://voice.google.com and then wait ~30 minutes. The problem should fix itself automatically within 30 minutes and work from then on. Warning explained: When installing the extension it says "This extension will have access to all browsing history and private data on all websites" This is the default warning for any extension that needs content script access to all websites. This access is needed for detecting phone
- (2020-02-13) Keith McGuinnes: As of Sep 2019, the extension no longer works, except to receive messages. Click to call does not work and you cannot reply to texts. According to this thread, Google has no plan to fix: https://support.google.com/voice/thread/11150718?hl=en
- (2020-02-12) Chuck Baldwin: Clunky in use. Much better experience clicking the button to go to the Inbox in a browser page. If they could make THAT into the app -- similar to the Hangouts Chrome app it would be much much better. This seems like it's the Classic version of Google Voice and not integrated fully.
- (2020-02-11) William W: I am on a Google Chrome Acer tablet, with google voice on my cell, but Google does NOT make an outright APP to download to their own tablets or other tablets, and it does NOT fully function if it is not on a cell with active phone service. Seriously ridiculous... And, it can useful for text, so why have hangouts????? I have Never used hangouts except to be solicited to it from social apps for sex and money by females.
- (2020-02-09) Larry Woodring: Not convenient to use for calling. Now, the ability to send SMS is broken. Big fail.
- (2020-02-07) Adam Danz: The extension has three tabs: [Call][Text][Inbox] and they all used to be very useful. Here's their current status: [Call]: You can enter a name in your contacts or a phone number; when you press 'connect' is takes you to your google voice page where, depending on your g.voice settings, it will either start the call in hangouts or ask you which phone to connect the call to. The extension used to have these options directly in the API which was more streamlined and efficient. [Text]: It's currently useless. You can no longer send text messages through the extension which was a big benefit to the extension. [Inbox]: You can see a few of your recently received text messages here and mark them as 'read' by clicking on them. You can archive them or delete them which will also affect those messages in the google voice page. However, you cannot reply to the text message nor can you call the person even though there are buttons for these options (and they used to work). Other options include 1) turning on/off clickable numbers on webpages that would initialize a phone call but that no longer seems to work even though the phone numbers still appear to be clickable. 2) new message alert which you can't rely on since it often doesn't work. The extension used to be wonderful. Now it's just a way to quickly see an incoming google voice text message.
- (2020-02-01) Cathy Beije: Love it
- (2020-01-30) Ross Kelson: Click on a phone number on a webpage to call, or select the phone number to bring up pop-up to call, no longer works with the Chrome update in Jan. 2020. Very disappointed in Google Voice team!
- (2020-01-24) Zach: It REALLY needs an update. Much better to just use the website. will uninstall. Looks like 2005 technology
- (2020-01-24) Richard Zilver: Been broken for months - can't send messages through the extension - have to go to the inbox. How hard is it to support your own product Google?
- (2020-01-21) Austin Bontrager: Doesn't work anymore.
- (2020-01-18) Michael Halbrook: Virtually worthless now that you can't sent messages from the extension.
- (2020-01-15) Brent Eubanks: Extension no longer works correctly, and never did detect incoming calls - just messages. Basically worthless. Thanks for the total lack of support for your products.
- (2020-01-15) Sean Kim: Since long time ago, I cannot send txt at this extension. I have to go to inbox and send again. VERY slow compared to sending it directly at the extension. UPDATE PLEASE!!!
- (2020-01-09) Alex Jimenez: Can't send texts any more, keep getting "Please try again"
- (2020-01-08) Jimmy Crackorn: This extension absolutely does not work [anymore?] and I'm highly disappointed. I can't send any new messages or reply to incoming ones. It also would have been nice if instead of a pop-out, a shortcut and new window option were provided. This is something I love about Messages and Keep. Voice is lagging quite far behind and is cutting into my productivity. My SMS ALWAYS results in, "Failed. Try again." Impossible to send SMS. Period. Please fix.
- (2020-01-06) Pazu WinSEARCH-MS: I hate it, OpenDocument Mail it better.
- (2020-01-03) Herb Rim: New version has what was lacking for a while. Only downside- there's no callback feature when placing calls, so it all has to go through the computer/VOIP. Can't dial out from a nearby landline anymore. :-(
- (2019-12-30) Yakov Fradkin: The Dec 26 2019 release broke the extension. I can no longer dial international (with a '+' prefix) numbers from my contact book -- see the support ticket https://support.google.com/voice/thread/23994474 for details.
- (2019-12-28) Tobias Sparks: People said this function would enable click-to-call to route through my google voice number. Doesn't work. Chrome wants to send the call to facetime or my pixel phone, why can't I call through my computer?
- (2019-12-28) Joey Aiello: As others have said, this is broken now. Can't send texts with "Please try again" Update 12/27/19: Just got an update! And it still doesn't work :(
- (2019-12-27) Rob Mudryk: Used and loved it for years, now forced to use bloated horrible web layout. Will probably drop Google voice over breaking and not fixing the ability to send text message from this plugin. All the positive features that gave google a competitive advantage have been removed from the service.
- (2019-12-27) Mikhail Fradkin: I can no longer dial international numbers from this Chrome extension. (I still have sufficient credit balance.)
- (2019-12-24) Michael Klugmann: Went from great to awful. I guess it's nice to still be able to read my message but the lack of an ability to respond is just is so disappointing - was so great for so many years. Too bad Google decided to mess something good up. I'd love to understand the logic behind it, why Google would make their users want to use the native SMS (or what's app even) than GVoice.
- (2019-12-20) Kage Lyall: This went from being an acceptable interface to gVoice with a killer function of in-toolbar texting to just an annoying quick-link to your gVoice inbox. I cannot send SMS from the toolbar anymore, without this killer functionality, it is a waste of resources a bookmark can fix.
- (2019-12-19) William Furr: This extension was updated just a few months ago, August 22, 2019, according to the Chrome web store, but it feels like abandonware. It's lost the ability to initiate calls or send texts. It doesn't support MMS correctly. The visual design is ancient compared to the Google Voice web page proper. I wish the extension would get some love because it's very convenient compared to having the tab open all the time.