Add margins to wide pages.
Narrower is a simple extension for dealing with annoyingly wide websites. Usage: To add margins to a wide page, click on the extension icon and drag the slider. To return the page to it's previous state, either drag the margin slider to 0%, or refresh the page. How it works: When you drag the margin slider, Narrower changes the padding value of `document.documentElement`. It then leaves the selected margin in a cookie, so it can be recalled the next time you activate the extension on the site. Known issues: Changing the padding of the document element doesn't work on 100% of the pages. If a page doesn't become narrower as a result of using the extension, you can always resort to manually changing the browser window size.
- (2021-06-11) phly95 :: Edit: It would be nice if it could be set to a persistent mode and/or map to a keyboard shortcut, so you don't have to keep clicking it every time you click a link. I've been wanting an extension like this for a long time. It really helps reading html formatted ebooks. Works great in combination with "Line Height Adjuster" by caldwellkevin39 on the Chrome Web Store.
- (2021-04-25) J. Salmonson: Oh thank you, so many pages are stretched the hell out making articles hell to read, this saves so much eye strain. <3 I say Combine this one with darken text, zoon text only and your set to read :D Everyone has a wise monitor nowadays (except on mobile) so why are they still allowing the code to span the width of the screen? Quit it! A simple css edit is all it takes but noooo...
- (2021-03-17) slatfatf: A fairly immersive reading experience. Thank you.
- (2020-12-31) George Troulis: AWESOME! This extension is a must-have, it works quite well with many ugly ascii sites that are silly and span the entire browser width
- (2020-11-26) Yentl van Dillen: Absolutely love it! Simple and works great.
- (2020-09-01) Michał Matyas: The idea is great but it never persists the size of the window properly for me
- (2020-07-12) Artlan a: That is excellent, Solved my problems great! Every time I read wikipedia, the wide! wide! wide! margin makes me mad, appreciate to the author！！
- (2020-04-01) Michael Phillips: Exactly what I was looking for. You're a life saver.
- (2019-09-11) Emily Chen: This extension is so useful! It's just a simple feature but it makes such a difference when reading on the internet. Game changer :D
- (2019-04-14) oshibka zagruzki: Лещенко вперед!
- (2018-12-14) F P: Works great. I use an ultrawide 21:9 monitor, and some pages show up all the way on the left. This plugin lets me fix that by centering the page with the quick press of a keyboard shortcut. It's also useful for articles that are centered, but too wide & uncomfortable to read. Narrower increases the margin symmetrically, allowing you to customize the text width to a comfortable level.
- (2018-12-02) Bruce Liu: Does exactly what I need it to do!
- (2018-05-31) Avin Lambrero: very useful, thanks!
- (2018-01-14) Joshua H: Simple, no frills or annoyances. Does exactly what I wanted when I started searching for it.
- (2017-08-02) Matt Farrugia: Exactly what I needed, and works like a charm
- (2017-03-30) Alek Gruszczyński: Super simple, yet very useful. A must-have for people working with large/wide screens.
- (2017-01-11) Arthur the Unicorn: Thank you very much!
- (2020-11-26, v:1.0) Yentl van Dillen: Option to automatically enable Narrower on specific websites?
Hi! Thanks for making this! If possible, I'd love to see an option that keeps Narrower enabled while browsing on the same site. (So you don't have to click it again when loading a new page.)
- (2018-09-01, v:1.0) Joshua H: Make default percentage configurable
Make default percentage configurable.
- (2017-06-09, v:1.0) Gilberto R. T.: The opposite
What if I want to make only the text column bigger, kind of a read mode but with images, etc...?