Turns your unused, youtube bookmarks that are laying around into a playlist loop for hours of entertainment!
Do you find yourself bookmarking youtube videos/songs that you like? If you do, this chrome extension is for you. When you install it, the user-friendly interface displays three easy steps for you to follow: locate the folders that hold your youtube bookmarks (my folder names are "Music", "Music 2", and "Music 3"), type in the names of those folders into the extension separated by a comma ("Music,Music 2,Music 3"), and finally, choose whether to listen to the songs in-order or shuffled and you'll begin listening to hours of music. First, disable auto-play on Youtube. Then, after you click the "Shuffle" or "In-order" button in the extension, a small window will appear and you can relax from there on out; the chrome extension will automatically select a new song and play it once the old song is over. v1.0 - Initial release. v1.1 - Fixed bug in v1.1 where songs were still duplicating. v1.2 (01/25/19) - Fixed bug where unavailable/deprecated/removed/country-blocked videos are automatically skipped and banned to assure they never reappear. v1.3 (02/02/20) - Completely refactored code and reduced pause time between song transition. v2.0 (06/01/20) - Reset versioning system to do it properly. Removed scrollbar removal feature and fixed some UI issues. v2.2 (06/02/20) - Added functionality to store a user's 5 most recent playlists. Also added error messages for empty bookmark folders/playlists. v2.3 (11/28/20) - Fixed a few bugs with error messages and button functionality. v3.0 (12/30/21) - Upgraded from Manifest v2 to Manifest v3 This extension is also available as a Firefox add-on : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/music-playlist-generator/
- (2023-06-30) Grue Turtle: just opens one video
- (2023-02-08) Anno Domini: Works like a charm. I have a folder with 50+ bookmarks and it was a pain to scroll through the list to choose songs at random. Thank you so much and I hope you have a wonderful year ahead!
- (2021-06-01) Wizz Hard: Great plugin ! Perfect for what i need. I have only one suggestion : Make it possible to create the playlist in a new tab instead of a new window because when you close another tab, the fresh playlist window also closes. (Or it is a bug in my side ?!). Thanks you anyway.
- (2021-01-13) Wes Horne: Works perfectly for my purposes. I had compiled huge folders of YouTube links, but I didn't have time to create a playlist. This extension makes a non-YouTube playlist that automatically selects random videos from a folder. Requests I have are for a feature that goes through links in order, or to create a real YouTube playlist, though I realize the latter might be difficult. I've been using it for about a year, without any notable issues. Thanks for the great extension!
- (2021-01-04) Johnny Jillky: I had clicked the extension hoping it would make a playlist on YouTube itself... however, upon trying it, it pretty much does what a YouTube playlist does by itself (play a list). And for my purposes, that's all I wanted to do. I'm not even using it for music. I just like bookmarking videos since it's quicker to do that than wait for a YouTube page to load to save a video to a playlist haha
- (2020-12-23) dave angel: Awesome, works very well and something I've been needing for a while. Noticed you already have a github issue up for additional controls for 'skip/back/unbookmark', that would really make it even more useful even if it needs 2 clicks.
- (2020-10-04) Ben Zhang: Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar. I have hundreds of bookmarks I am too lazy to make into a playlist myself, and this extension was PERFECT for my uses. Thank you so much
- (2020-09-02) Matt Ao: Does what it advertises, I think you may want to update the instructions as I found that it wasn't clear how to set things up and I had to play around. Is this open source at all? I would like to try to take the next step further and create an actual youtube playlist from the bookmarks (https://developers.google.com/youtube/v3/docs/playlists/insert)
- (2020-06-29) Jadan Thiessen: The name can be misleading, I'll admit, if you're expecting random videos similar to the ones you put into the mix. It doesn't make YouTube into Pandora, or whatever internet radio station you listen to. But it was perfect for my purposes. You put the names of whatever videos you have bookmarked in your browser, or even bookmark folders of videos, and it generates a playlist for them, either in the order you put them in or shuffled. If you hate YouTube's playlist program (and you should, because it is Satan's nails upon the chalkboard of sanity), this playlist will be a godsend for you. Instead of playing the first fifty songs of one particular playlist, it plays ALL of the songs in your playlist in all of your playlists, even if you have multiple, even if you have 300+ songs or videos, so long as they're bookmarked or in bookmark folders in your browser. And the randomizing algorithm feels actually random (except that it won't play songs you've already played until they've all been played, then it reshuffles them. I am a fan of that). One minor hiccup is that the individual videos have to be bookmarked, first. Takes a while if you haven't been doing that from the beginning, like me. Also, muy importante: turn off autoplay if you just want your own videos in the playlist. It will go off on a YouTube recommended spree and never play another song from your playlist until you start up another one. Second hiccup is if you don't like not knowing what plays next, you might not like that it doesn't show you the full shuffled playlist it created. I didn't mind in the least, but some people aren't into that. Only technical issue I've really found is that the volume adjuster for the video itself sometimes doesn't want to show up when you hover over the speaker icon. A new playlist fixes that in a jiffy. At any rate, it's good stuff. Ever since RandomTube stopped loading any videos ever on my browser, I've been using this. It has succeeded where the shuffle of YouTube has failed me.
- (2020-03-01) Anagha Babu: Just what I needed. Been using this for quite some time now and honestly, it's really, really good! Does what it says. The randomness of the bookmarks/videos is what I love the most about playlist generator. Thank you James :)
- (2019-11-22) Rohit Ganguly: Incredible, this does exactly what I was looking for. Well done to James!!!!
- (2019-08-27) Mohammad Badawy: doesnt work
- (2019-05-05) ВАСЯ пупкин: Идея просто превосходная. Именно это я и искал. Работает неплохо, жаль, что нельзя посмотреть список и изменять порядок воспроизведения. Спасибо.
- (2016-09-13) Simon Barton: It makes its own playlist thing, not compatible with real youtube playlists. I wanted a Playlist generator, not this.
- (2022-11-18, v:3.0.4) Narrating Potato: In-Order (Newest-Oldest/Bottom to Top) Feature Request
It's been a while, still using the chrome extension, still enjoy using it. Anyways, the title says it all. Potentially adding an arrow next to "In-order" that shows either playing the order from top to bottom (arrow pointing downward) (oldest to newest) or bottom to top (arrow pointing upward) (newest to oldest). Thank you and have a good day.
- (2022-01-01, v:3.0) Alex Holden: Shuffle stopped working
Hi WHen i use the shuffle function, it plays a video from the bookmark folder selected, but it does not play any new videos from the bookmark folder after that. This issue started a couple of days ago. -Kind regards
- (2021-06-06, v:2.3.5) Alex Holden: Weird UI bug
Hi The extention works as it should. But the UI only shows half of all the text. I have it installed on brave browser. I tried to disable my other extentions, i deleted cache restarted the browser. Nothing changed, and the issue persists. Hope you can help. -Regards
- (2020-11-23, v:2.3.4) Eric K: Issue With Playback
If it is minimized or not the active window, it will not continue to shuffle or play from your bookmark folder. Instead it will continue the youtube playlist. Is there a way to fix this?
- (2020-08-19, v:2.3.4) Alex Holden: An Issue and an suggestion
If the extension plays a video that is not available, it does not automatically load a new one. Would it be possible to add an feature that would enable this function? Thanks in advance.
- (2020-08-05, v:2.3.4) Alex Holden: An issue with playing
Hi Sometimes it will load a video in a playlist, but hen it says "video unavailable" and then load the next. This happens even though the youtube-link works perfectly and leads to a youtubevideo I can load and play normally in a browser. Thanks in advance for your help
- (2020-06-17, v:2.3.4) Narrating Potato: Since You Added Scrolling, What About Bookmarking?
1st, thank you for adding scrolling, feels great, however since their is the fact that you can now go to other videos (due to the scrolling) that are not a part of your bookmark, is it possible to add a feature where you're able to bookmark the new videos/if it's already bookmarked, it would show it, if that makes sense. Thank you and have a good day.
- (2020-05-20, v:1.21) Narrating Potato: Glitch When Trying to Scroll for the Video
The extension works great, I love it, yet a glitch I noticed was if I want to diverge from what I am currently listening to on the extension, when I try to scroll down, it's a bit bugged and just won't allow me. It's annoying but I still love the extension, not sure if it's just me. Thank you and have a good day.
- (2020-05-19, v:1.21) Jag: Suggestions
Firstly, really glad I found something like this. Have always wanted an extension to do exactly this for years. Anyways, was wondering if there was a way to skip the song or have it load the next link? I know I can just end the current song by clicking towards the end but maybe there is an easier way. Also was wondering perhaps instead of having a new window created maybe have it be created in a new tab instead? I have extensions I like to use for music but can't access them when its created in that new window because there is no address bar. Would be nice options to have. Thanks again for your work.
- (2020-02-03, v:1.20) Josh McIlwain: Update Suggestion
Hi Mr Hahn, your extension is really appreciated as I have an endless music folder in chrome which I do not have the time to turn into a single youtube playlist. A suggestion for a feature I would find super useful is the ability to remember which playlists you've added. Say, you click on the extension icon and the current window pops up, along with a simple 'Add, Remove, Modify' list of folders to choose from, upon which clicking on it commences playing Would love this feature, but love the extension anyway, thanks :)
- (2019-01-18, v:1.11) does not appear to work
windows 7, chrome browser with youtube music videos as bookmark, I have 6 or so book marks in a bookmark folder. I entered the name of the folder and pressed the Make Playlist button on the bottom. I got a window titled YouTube and it appeared to cycle through some process displaying gray placeholders on the window. It looped for a very long time and never did resolve... Whats going on. I never found any output.