Turns your unused, youtube bookmarks that are laying around into a playlist loop for hours of entertainment!
Do you find yourself bookmarking youtube videos/songs that you like? If you do, this chrome extension is for you. When you install it, the user-friendly interface displays three easy steps for you to follow: locate the folders that hold your youtube bookmarks (my folder names are "Music", "Music 2", and "Music 3"), type in the names of those folders into the extension separated by a comma ("Music,Music 2,Music 3"), and finally, choose whether to listen to the songs in-order or shuffled and you'll begin listening to hours of music. After you click the "Shuffle" or "In-order" button, a small window will appear and you can relax from there on out; the chrome extension will automatically select a new song and play it once the old song is over. v1.0 - Initial release. v1.1 - Fixed bug in v1.1 where songs were still duplicating. v1.2 (1/25/19) - Fixed bug where unavailable/deprecated/removed/country-blocked videos are automatically skipped and banned to assure they never reappear. v1.3 - Completely refactored code and reduced pause time between song transition. v2.0 - Reset versioning system to do it properly. Removed scrollbar removal feature and fixed some UI issues. v2.2 - Added functionality to store a user's 5 most recent playlists. Also added error messages for empty bookmark folders/playlists. v2.3 - Fixed a few bugs with error messages and button functionality. This extension is also available as a Firefox add-on : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/music-playlist-generator/
- (2020-09-02) Matt Ao: Does what it advertises, I think you may want to update the instructions as I found that it wasn't clear how to set things up and I had to play around. Is this open source at all? I would like to try to take the next step further and create an actual youtube playlist from the bookmarks (https://developers.google.com/youtube/v3/docs/playlists/insert)
- (2020-06-29) Jadan Thiessen: The name can be misleading, I'll admit, if you're expecting random videos similar to the ones you put into the mix. It doesn't make YouTube into Pandora, or whatever internet radio station you listen to. But it was perfect for my purposes. You put the names of whatever videos you have bookmarked in your browser, or even bookmark folders of videos, and it generates a playlist for them, either in the order you put them in or shuffled. If you hate YouTube's playlist program (and you should, because it is Satan's nails upon the chalkboard of sanity), this playlist will be a godsend for you. Instead of playing the first fifty songs of one particular playlist, it plays ALL of the songs in your playlist in all of your playlists, even if you have multiple, even if you have 300+ songs or videos, so long as they're bookmarked or in bookmark folders in your browser. And the randomizing algorithm feels actually random (except that it won't play songs you've already played until they've all been played, then it reshuffles them. I am a fan of that). One minor hiccup is that the individual videos have to be bookmarked, first. Takes a while if you haven't been doing that from the beginning, like me. Also, muy importante: turn off autoplay if you just want your own videos in the playlist. It will go off on a YouTube recommended spree and never play another song from your playlist until you start up another one. Second hiccup is if you don't like not knowing what plays next, you might not like that it doesn't show you the full shuffled playlist it created. I didn't mind in the least, but some people aren't into that. Only technical issue I've really found is that the volume adjuster for the video itself sometimes doesn't want to show up when you hover over the speaker icon. A new playlist fixes that in a jiffy. At any rate, it's good stuff. Ever since RandomTube stopped loading any videos ever on my browser, I've been using this. It has succeeded where the shuffle of YouTube has failed me.
- (2020-03-01) Anagha Babu: Just what I needed. Been using this for quite some time now and honestly, it's really, really good! Does what it says. The randomness of the bookmarks/videos is what I love the most about playlist generator. Thank you James :)
- (2019-11-22) Rohit Ganguly: Incredible, this does exactly what I was looking for. Well done to James!!!!
- (2019-08-27) Mohammad Badawy: doesnt work
- (2019-05-05) ВАСЯ пупкин: Идея просто превосходная. Именно это я и искал. Работает неплохо, жаль, что нельзя посмотреть список и изменять порядок воспроизведения. Спасибо.
- (2018-12-24) Wes Horne: Works perfectly for my purposes. I had compiled huge folders of YouTube links, but I didn't have time to create a playlist. This extension makes a non-YouTube playlist that automatically selects random videos from a folder. Requests I have are for a feature that goes through links in order, or to create a real YouTube playlist, though I realize the latter might be difficult. I've been using it for about a year, without any notable issues. Thanks for the great extension!
- (2016-09-13) Simon Barton: It makes its own playlist thing, not compatible with real youtube playlists. I wanted a Playlist generator, not this.
- (2020-08-19, v:2.3.4) usei usei: An Issue and an suggestion
If the extension plays a video that is not available, it does not automatically load a new one. Would it be possible to add an feature that would enable this function? Thanks in advance.
- (2020-08-05, v:2.3.4) usei usei: An issue with playing
Hi Sometimes it will load a video in a playlist, but hen it says "video unavailable" and then load the next. This happens even though the youtube-link works perfectly and leads to a youtubevideo I can load and play normally in a browser. Thanks in advance for your help
- (2020-06-17, v:2.3.4) Narrating Potato: Since You Added Scrolling, What About Bookmarking?
1st, thank you for adding scrolling, feels great, however since their is the fact that you can now go to other videos (due to the scrolling) that are not a part of your bookmark, is it possible to add a feature where you're able to bookmark the new videos/if it's already bookmarked, it would show it, if that makes sense. Thank you and have a good day.
- (2020-05-20, v:1.21) Narrating Potato: Glitch When Trying to Scroll for the Video
The extension works great, I love it, yet a glitch I noticed was if I want to diverge from what I am currently listening to on the extension, when I try to scroll down, it's a bit bugged and just won't allow me. It's annoying but I still love the extension, not sure if it's just me. Thank you and have a good day.
- (2020-05-19, v:1.21) Jag: Suggestions
Firstly, really glad I found something like this. Have always wanted an extension to do exactly this for years. Anyways, was wondering if there was a way to skip the song or have it load the next link? I know I can just end the current song by clicking towards the end but maybe there is an easier way. Also was wondering perhaps instead of having a new window created maybe have it be created in a new tab instead? I have extensions I like to use for music but can't access them when its created in that new window because there is no address bar. Would be nice options to have. Thanks again for your work.
- (2020-02-03, v:1.20) Josh McIlwain: Update Suggestion
Hi Mr Hahn, your extension is really appreciated as I have an endless music folder in chrome which I do not have the time to turn into a single youtube playlist. A suggestion for a feature I would find super useful is the ability to remember which playlists you've added. Say, you click on the extension icon and the current window pops up, along with a simple 'Add, Remove, Modify' list of folders to choose from, upon which clicking on it commences playing Would love this feature, but love the extension anyway, thanks :)
- (2019-01-18, v:1.11) does not appear to work
windows 7, chrome browser with youtube music videos as bookmark, I have 6 or so book marks in a bookmark folder. I entered the name of the folder and pressed the Make Playlist button on the bottom. I got a window titled YouTube and it appeared to cycle through some process displaying gray placeholders on the window. It looped for a very long time and never did resolve... Whats going on. I never found any output.