A no-op extension. Useful for killing the dreaded Ctrl-W hotkey!
I wrote this extension after the thousandth time I had closed a tab while meaning to delete a word. If you are tired of Chrome hijacking your muscle memory on ^W, this extension is for you! It provides two commands, one which does nothing, and one which closes the current tab. If you map the former to Ctrl-W, and the latter to Alt-W, you will never again mistakenly close a tab! A future version may include the expected Ctrl-W functionality, but don't hold your breath.
- (2020-11-11) Piotr Kierklo: This does not work (anymore?) for Chrome Version 86.0.4240.183 (Official Build) (64-bit) and Windows 10 Another solution that works (but disables closing the tab) I found here: https://superuser.com/questions/569248/disable-hardwired-chrome-hot-key-ctrlw/1207752 Only solution that worked for me was to rebind ctrl+w to some extension keyboard shortcut. go to chrome://extensions/shortcuts add ctrl+w as shortcut to any chrome extension you like. Now, ctrl+w does not close the browser tab.
- (2020-10-07) Longaui: One of most useful extensions here, no joke, just try playing an FPS browser game
- (2020-09-29) Will保哥: I have only a few websites need to ignore ctrl-w hotkey. Can you please provide Options for the extension that can configure specific Domain or URL prefix to disable ctrl-w hotkey? Here is the use case: 1. Install ctrlw extension 2. Configure Ctrl-W hotkey for Do absolutely nothing only for specific URL-prefixes! action 3. Configure some URL-prefixes for that action.
- (2020-04-16) Robin: Perfect, thanks so much :D
- (2019-08-24) Stéphane Wetterwald: thank you so much, just don't forget to add the shortcut in the "extenstion" menu. Work perfectly on my chromebook. A suggestion : can you add an other zone to add more shortcut to do nothing ? i'd like to add ctrl + shift + W also ;)
- (2019-07-03) Samuel Day: Handy program! The hotkey for placing wire in Altium Designer is Ctrl + W and when working in and out of chrome and Altium its very easy and frustrating to mistakenly begin closing part datasheets and other design references! Thank you for taking the time to build this extension!
- (2018-12-11) Papeleria Alexis: :D
- (2018-11-07) Johan Guldmyr: Does not work in Windows 10 and chrome 70.0