It is a night mode for the entire Internet. It darkens all the websites you visit so that you can browse without straining your eyes
Dark Night Mode is a Free Open Source Software which makes all the websites you browse into dark/night mode so that you can browse the internet without straining your eyes. It is an extremely useful chrome extension for those who use internet especially at night. We use a unique algorithm to apply dark mode to all the websites in real-time as you browse. It basically detects the color of each element of a website and intelligently converts it to a darker shade. Bright colors are darkened at more intensity than dark colors so that most of the colors are preserved. Unlike other similar extensions, we do NOT invert the colors, so black websites will not change its color into white. An added benefit is that the images will also not be distorted! I think we were hit by the one-star-bot-ratings because we were the only extension to have this intelligent-algorithm. Now, after this extension became popular, one another super famous extension have copied this feature of ours. We have also put immense effort in eliminating the flashes of bright white screen while loading different websites. It was a challenging task due to the limitations of chrome, but we were able to eliminate this problem with 99.9% success rate. Using the brightness slider, you can adjust the brightness of your browser beyond what your computer's brightness adjuster allows. This is useful in dimming the brightness to your likening. For example, by default the images are shown with normal color, but you can darken it by sliding down the brightness slider. There is also an Auto mode which will automatically turn on the Dark Mode at night 8:00PM and will turn off at morning 6:00AM. It was complicated to develop an option to customize this timing, but we are working on it and may add this option in the future versions. There is also Whitelist feature which can be helpful if you do not want the dark mode to work on certain websites. Since this extension will darken all the websites you visit at night, you will initially not enjoy it due to the huge change in your routine. However, our internal studies have shown that people start getting used to it after about three weeks of use. Some people have claimed that this extension helps them sleep better while some others have said that it helped them reduce the burning sensation in their eyes caused by extensive browsing of the internet in the dark. This plugin is NOT 100% perfect. It never will be perfect because many websites are developed in a non-standard fashion and there is no easy way to detect a site and perfectly change its colors in real time withing milli-seconds so that the user do not see the bright colors. It is a double edged sword - If we add more conditions to make the algorithm smarter, then it will affect the processing speed and the user will see flashes of white light, so we had to make some choices to get an optimal balance. If you want your browser window to also look black similar to how it is shown in the screenshots, then you must install a Dark Chrome theme as well. We suggest to search "Morpheon Dark Theme" and install it in google chrome. It took us - two developers two whole months of full time developmental efforts to conceptualize, design, code, test, calibrate and deploy this extension. We had initially started it as a side project aiming to make it in couple of days, but it ended up taking significantly more time than expected! We hope you enjoy it.
- (2020-04-16) SHAAH HAMEED: It doesnt affect images it doesnt make already dark mode website to white mode I had at least 2 extension that did ok job of dark theme this extension replaces them all...
- (2020-04-13) Peggy Karabacz: This is exactly what I wanted just a dark screen theme not color inversion. Nice job!
- (2020-04-09) Maciej Kociałkowski: Extension work very good but there is no way to change colors.
- (2020-03-29) Ben Sancetta: My eyes! Thank you <3 :))))
- (2020-03-27) Gordon Boisrond: It's One Of The Best! And If it doesn't work, all you have to do is white list the site!
- (2020-03-21) Elite Studio: good
- (2020-03-20) YiLui: It is a good app that really not just inverting the color which is weird sometimes on the webpage. And i'm waiting for the auto mode to have a customised time schedule. Thanks for your effort and the free version offered!
- (2020-03-11) Marcus Alford: It works for me but could it be updated so that already visited links are highlighted in a different color?
- (2020-03-09) Deyvi Velasquez: 1000% recomendado,!!! Sin duda la mejor, apenas se pueda le haré una donación por tan excelente trabajo.
- (2020-03-07) wiilliam Sanga: no funciona con web.whatsapp !!!
- (2020-03-07) jun chen: great app!
- (2020-03-05) Kayleigh Moore: So good.
- (2020-03-02) Pyry Leppänen: Phenomenal Dark mode, the best suited for Jira and I have all the popular ones.
- (2020-02-28) Styx Demetrius: You helped someone a lot who was going to school with the remaining side effects of a concussion. I can look at my screen for longer. This is a life saver. Thank you
- (2020-02-16) neal cantrell: edit. ok, does not work so far on git hub. It did not change the blinding white space I'm trying to read. other white pages it has darkened, so ill keep it a wile. and this page we'er on is not change. But found this "Suggestion : Dark Mode will not work in this page because Google Chrome do not allow extensions to modify certain pages due to security reasons."
- (2020-02-10) NELSON HUAYTA: Me ayudó a llevar varios cursos en línea, en sitios web que tienen una interfaz blanca por lo que mis ojos se cansaban rápido y se me complicaba llevarlos por mucho tiempo. Ahora llevo muchos cursos a la vez y la vista es genial mejor que todos las anteriores extensiones que he probado. Profundamente agradecido con los creadores de esta extensión. ¡Magnifico trabajo!.
- (2020-02-05) Alex del Cid: Great extension!!!
- (2020-01-30) Ale Goz: I use it in both of my Chrome sesions. I simply don't get why is it rated four stars since it's free and better than other extensions that just invert colours. Nice job!
- (2020-01-30) Free and good.
- (2020-01-17) dan roger Rodal: it works but crashes a lot so have to repair it almost every day.
- (2020-01-15) Mob Barley: Best dark mode ext on the store rn. Would give 6 stars if I could.
- (2020-01-15) Jen Crowder: App works great for me. Negative reviews seem false. Great extension.
- (2020-01-06) Ed Pol: Works well, but I wish the links were a different color.
- (2019-12-28) DJR: finally one that matches my taste.
- (2019-12-27) Yeruchum Dear: Wow! I love this extension it saved my eyes thank you!!
- (2020-01-07, v:2.0.5) bradski: Facebook
For some reason Facebook is coming up differently from what's in your screenshot. The entire comment sections are white and the peoples names are a dull grey, like someone who is no longer in a group, only lighter, so are very hard to read. I want to use this extension given the "flashes" when loading new pages are gone like you explain, which is the best part for me, but this facebook issue means I'm looking for something else... If it's fixable the that's fantastic because I'd love to continue using Dark Night. Thanks
- (2019-11-03, v:2.0.5) Stefane Guevremont: Suggestion: Hotkey to Turn Dark Night Mode On/Off
I think the only thing that is missing from this extension is a hotkey to turns the dark mode on and off. In the shortcuts menu, the shortcut activates the extension, then you have to "Tab" your way to the Off/Auto/On toggle. It is a bit cumbersome when you want to activate the extension quickly. Cheers!
- (2019-10-18, v:2.0.5) Elizabeth Donato: Dark mode does not work on Google Chrome
The even when I have it on dark mode does not work on my Google Chrome
- (2019-08-28, v:2.0.5) Midory Ibanez: flashing lines in background
I didn't like the flashing lines in the background when the app extension was being used but now the flashing light also happens when the app isn't being used (while watching videos). How do I make this go away?
- (2019-03-28, v:2.0.5) W O: Not Working
There does not seem to be any difference in any website that I am using the extension on. Nothing happens when I switch the extension on or when I adjust brightness levels.
- (2019-02-26, v:2.0.5) Debugging messages on the console
When I enter to some website, there are two messages being written many times on the console: "called" and "17". For me, which I'm web developer, it's pretty annoying to see theses messages during my debugging process.
- (2019-01-20, v:2.0.5) SLASH COMBO: extension but not listed in chrome task manager
Can't found this extension in chrome task manager (good for saving RAM consumption) :) May I know is this running css to change the colour ?
- (2019-01-20, v:2.0.5) SLASH COMBO: auto activate on specific website
as title mentioned , auto activate on specific website ~
- (2019-01-15, v:2.0.5) Doesnt work for
Chrome settings, facebook chat window, chrome search bar/search bar window
- (2019-01-09, v:2.0.5) keith Lung: whatsapp web
hi there, the dark mode not working on whatsapp web properly. hopefully you can fix it tq.
- (2018-12-25, v:2.0.5) Bhavesh Yadav: Messages not visible on Whatsapp web.
The color of the messages is almost identical to the background. Hence messages are not visible on web.whatsapp.com