It is a night mode for the entire Internet. It darkens all the websites you visit so that you can browse without straining your eyes
Dark Night Mode is a Free Open Source Software which makes all the websites you browse into dark/night mode so that you can browse the internet without straining your eyes. It is an extremely useful chrome extension for those who use internet especially at night. We use a unique algorithm to apply dark mode to all the websites in real-time as you browse. It basically detects the color of each element of a website and intelligently converts it to a darker shade. Bright colors are darkened at more intensity than dark colors so that most of the colors are preserved. Unlike other similar extensions, we do NOT invert the colors, so black websites will not change its color into white. An added benefit is that the images will also not be distorted! I think we were hit by the one-star-bot-ratings because we were the only extension to have this intelligent-algorithm. Now, after this extension became popular, one another super famous extension have copied this feature of ours. We have also put immense effort in eliminating the flashes of bright white screen while loading different websites. It was a challenging task due to the limitations of chrome, but we were able to eliminate this problem with 99.9% success rate. Using the brightness slider, you can adjust the brightness of your browser beyond what your computer's brightness adjuster allows. This is useful in dimming the brightness to your likening. For example, by default the images are shown with normal color, but you can darken it by sliding down the brightness slider. There is also an Auto mode which will automatically turn on the Dark Mode at night 8:00PM and will turn off at morning 6:00AM. It was complicated to develop an option to customize this timing, but we are working on it and may add this option in the future versions. There is also Whitelist feature which can be helpful if you do not want the dark mode to work on certain websites. Since this extension will darken all the websites you visit at night, you will initially not enjoy it due to the huge change in your routine. However, our internal studies have shown that people start getting used to it after about three weeks of use. Some people have claimed that this extension helps them sleep better while some others have said that it helped them reduce the burning sensation in their eyes caused by extensive browsing of the internet in the dark. This plugin is NOT 100% perfect. It never will be perfect because many websites are developed in a non-standard fashion and there is no easy way to detect a site and perfectly change its colors in real time withing milli-seconds so that the user do not see the bright colors. It is a double edged sword - If we add more conditions to make the algorithm smarter, then it will affect the processing speed and the user will see flashes of white light, so we had to make some choices to get an optimal balance. If you want your browser window to also look black similar to how it is shown in the screenshots, then you must install a Dark Chrome theme as well. We suggest to search "Morpheon Dark Theme" and install it in google chrome. It took us - two developers two whole months of full time developmental efforts to conceptualize, design, code, test, calibrate and deploy this extension. We had initially started it as a side project aiming to make it in couple of days, but it ended up taking significantly more time than expected! We hope you enjoy it.
- (2022-08-18) Bird on the Internet: It does it's job on the site I got it for
- (2022-08-12) Y Raviteja: by this extension i can wok..! late night #Graph_Inn #Pinterest
- (2022-08-04) Siegfried Heilmeier: Funktioniert
- (2022-08-01) Irfan James: It doesn't work on Google Pages (any of them) at all. Google Account Manager, Google Sign in page everything.
- (2022-07-11) Austin Bryan: Doesn't do anything at all.
- (2022-06-04) Bilge Çelik: I've tried almost all other dark mode extensions before. I can confidently say Dark Night Mode does what the developers claim to do. In other ones, I had small but frustrating glitches, such as links appearing in a light-color box which normally would be just text, highly contrasting colors which would look unnatural and discomforting, etc. BUT, there are two serious downsides. In Chrome searches, I want to see the keywords in search results. The extension makes this rather difficult. Also, in normal mode, a Chrome search result will change color from blue to purple when the link is clicked. I can't see which result I've opened before. These two reasons are enough for me to remove the extension, because I use Chrome for research and keywords are crucial. And that would mean a serious waste of time for me if I cannot see I've visited a website before and enter that site again.
- (2022-06-03) Minecrafter And More Games: This extension is amazing! Quick and easy way to make websites that don't have dark mode embedded in them, dark mode! Really recommend this when you are using chrome at like 3am.
- (2022-05-29) Darius Seiffert: Until now the best add-one which I found. an automatic setting for dark mode depending on the system preference or a specific location will make it perfect. but still, 5 stars are worth, because I believe you will add it in the future. thanks for your addon!
- (2022-05-16) emile hajj: It's great but does not work on google sheets, other than that it's all good.
- (2022-02-08) David Kennedy: Works great for most websites. Only issue is on google image search it'll black out all results unless you turn it off of automatic. It also sometimes doesn't dark mode a website for some reason. Otherwise it works great 90% of the time and is a necessary app to stave off headaches.
- (2022-01-17) 꿀꿀때지: This extension is my Hero!!! Thank you developer ~~!! I use several extension like this. but this extension is best!! [email protected]
- (2022-01-12) Subatomic Nucleotide: Best dark mode extension I've found, and have tried at least 4. Question: How can I export whitelisted sites for use on a different computer. It would be a convenient feature to not have to re-whitelist all sites. Thank you.
- (2021-12-03) Jonathan Amlod: thank you dark night team <3
- (2021-11-24) Christian Michael Quinto Sotomayor: very good
- (2021-10-13) Matthew Chalk: Intrusively advertises other extensions. Awful
- (2021-10-08) Shivam Pathak: I use websites like leetcode and hackerrank and it completely removes coloring of code in editor. In my opinion Dark Reader is miles ahead of others.
- (2021-10-01) FOOD COURT: installed this extension to add dark mode on mdn developer tools.thanks to god it worked ,if found any error will update you
- (2021-09-30) Deltacrucis: I Am Vengeance! I Am The Night!
- (2021-09-30) Stefan Sasse: Doesn't work
- (2021-09-24) Mojtaba Vahdati: Good, but some visual information are lost, like on Google, websites you've visited already vs the ones you have not. Or on some websites that accept star rating, the stars are all the same when you choose a rating. Overall, this is a good extension if you don't mind such details.
- (2021-09-23) Lucy Heartfilia: Just tried this and wow, I'm loving it! Way better than any other dark mode extensions I've used! great job, dev!
- (2021-08-05) Joseph Condori Zevallos: La mejor extensión de dark mode que probé, por lo menos es la que menos problemas de conversión tiene.
- (2021-07-27) nikos efthias: it breaks amazon but everything else works fine so far. I used to use dark reader but I really got tired of waiting pages to color themselves after the load this extension is perfect compared to that
- (2021-07-13) Sohan Shah: It is the worst thing ever which didn't even work
- (2021-07-05) Rich Merlino: I wish I had this 20 years ago. At least I have it now =)
- (2021-06-24) Tanvir Zuhayr: its the best basically
- (2021-06-23) Martin Cigorraga: Best of its breed! Also features a super handy button to quickly whitelist any site (like Tabnine).
- (2021-05-28) Welly: doesn`t work
- (2021-05-25) Leonardo Reyes: nashe
- (2021-05-16) Manohar: Working very well on all sites... :)
- (2021-05-03) Ezequiel Gómez: el mejor
- (2021-04-30) Lucila G: alright i really liked it, at first it wasnt running on my computer but then after a day it finally worked. my only complain is that when it comes to pinterest, the photos turn completely black. i really likes how the background becomes dark tho but its a shame the photos are not loading correctly:(
- (2021-04-24) Haradhat Ramanathan: I don't know about the accusations against it but it doesn't look the best. It does have a nice black colour but desaturates all the colours, most notably orange. There are many other extensions for this, don't get this one.
- (2021-04-10) Мой лучший друг: Недоделано.
- (2021-03-08) Jenna Hammond: by far the best night mode extension i've encountered. sometimes certain images will not load/be greyed out, but it's really not too bad. mostly just like the occasional magnifying glass on a search bar. it does a really good job of maintaining the appearance of a website rather than just putting everything on a plain dark background.
- (2021-03-06) Vitalij Ivanov: Kill most of website elements, aggressively and unwisely change colors and layout(???).
- (2021-02-28) Tapiwa Matsika: I just want a darker page, thats all ...and i got it
- (2021-02-10) William Porter: I'm not sure how to rate this. Over a month ago I noticed that sites I visit frequently suddenly all were getting black backgrounds, ugly white borders around objects, and becoming generally too ugly to use. Eventually I tracked it down to the Microsoft profile I was using in Edge (Chromium). And today I realized that the culprit was this extension. I have since discovered that the extension can easily be turned on and off on a page-by-page basis using the icon in the toolbar at the top of the window. So that's good. And it's user error that I didn't realize that (a) I had the extension installed and (b) that I didn't know how to use it. My bad there. But now that I know, I still think I'm going to delete. Dark mode is not easy. I see others here who've had positive results and I'm happy for them. But CSS (what this extension must be adjusting behind the scene) is HARD and in my experience, this extension had a very unattractive effect on sites that I like (e.g. reddit). Not worth it. Edge has a dark mode option itself, but the best option is for the particular site to have created a dark mode version. So one thumb sideways from me.
- (2021-02-09) Josh Townsend: White web pages strain my eyes. I've tried many and more of the various extensions and even a couple of wholly separate browsers just trying to find one that a) turns white web pages dark/black while having an option to mark a site as unnecessary to darken, and b) that doesn't screw up colors in things that aren't text or background i.e. images. This one works, and well. I believe it is still a young extension and, as a result, can't correct every site in existence at this time, but it does what it should where it does work, and hopefully they get the recognition and funding needed to never go away. Dear devs: good work, good luck, keep it up. Looking forward to sending some aid to your patreon or whatever
- (2021-02-03) Angie: Really helps, I always have my PC on the lowest level of brightness and most websites are still bright to me (even with the "Night Light" on). This is really a game changer.
- (2021-01-31) W King: Only thing I could wish for here (still going 5-stars) is that the active Tab were more quickly distinguishable from the others - the font's color variation doesn't contrast enough from the other tabs. Other than that, loving it.
- (2021-01-24) Azmi Anuar: Just got it. Loving it so far. works well even on non popoular sites and doesn't block images
- (2021-01-19) ツ: This is a very clever dark mode and it works 99% of the time. if has all kinds of clever features such as being able to whitelist the rare website where it doesn't work. it is very clever and out of all the extensions i found for dark mode this one stuck out the most. this is a *must have* for pc users
- (2021-01-18) A Chan: YES!!! 100% what i was looking for!!!!!
- (2021-01-14) just another bored fujoshi: it works great! even on websites like mixdrop, unlike other apps that would mess up those types of websites!
- (2020-12-30) Ahmet Danış: misssss
- (2020-12-07) Yilin: Didn't turn out as I expected it.
- (2020-11-23) Andrej Ulaga: Very good app. Recommend it.
- (2020-11-21) Melissa Majestic: So far, so good. This is working to make pages I use regularly, like Docs and Pinterest, dark without breaking them. God bless you for saving my eyes while I'm writing the next great masterpiece.
- (2020-11-20) Yuanli Zhou: It would be better if auto-mode schedule is customizable
- (2021-10-11, v:2.0.6) ポール: Blacklist
Hi there. How do you enable the blacklist mode? It says that it is on the settings page but I don't see it.
- (2021-07-13, v:2.0.6) Sohan Shah: Boring
- (2021-07-13, v:2.0.6) Sohan Shah: Boring
This is trash
- (2021-05-30, v:2.0.6) Jake Coan: does nothing
hello. i just installed this for chrome. its does nothing when i activate it on a site, or slide the slider. how do i make it work?
- (2021-02-20, v:2.0.6) asif hossain: extensions
unalble to add extensions and themes to chrome
- (2021-01-24, v:2.0.6) Azmi Anuar: Its blocking or blacking out images on Pinterest
hope to update or fix soon.
- (2020-01-07, v:2.0.5) acruxas: Facebook
For some reason Facebook is coming up differently from what's in your screenshot. The entire comment sections are white and the peoples names are a dull grey, like someone who is no longer in a group, only lighter, so are very hard to read. I want to use this extension given the "flashes" when loading new pages are gone like you explain, which is the best part for me, but this facebook issue means I'm looking for something else... If it's fixable the that's fantastic because I'd love to continue using Dark Night. Thanks
- (2019-11-03, v:2.0.5) Stefane Guevremont: Suggestion: Hotkey to Turn Dark Night Mode On/Off
I think the only thing that is missing from this extension is a hotkey to turns the dark mode on and off. In the shortcuts menu, the shortcut activates the extension, then you have to "Tab" your way to the Off/Auto/On toggle. It is a bit cumbersome when you want to activate the extension quickly. Cheers!
- (2019-10-18, v:2.0.5) Elizabeth Donato: Dark mode does not work on Google Chrome
The even when I have it on dark mode does not work on my Google Chrome
- (2019-08-28, v:2.0.5) Midory Ibanez: flashing lines in background
I didn't like the flashing lines in the background when the app extension was being used but now the flashing light also happens when the app isn't being used (while watching videos). How do I make this go away?
- (2019-03-28, v:2.0.5) W O: Not Working
There does not seem to be any difference in any website that I am using the extension on. Nothing happens when I switch the extension on or when I adjust brightness levels.
- (2019-02-26, v:2.0.5) Debugging messages on the console
When I enter to some website, there are two messages being written many times on the console: "called" and "17". For me, which I'm web developer, it's pretty annoying to see theses messages during my debugging process.
- (2019-01-20, v:2.0.5) SLASH COMBO: extension but not listed in chrome task manager
Can't found this extension in chrome task manager (good for saving RAM consumption) :) May I know is this running css to change the colour ?
- (2019-01-20, v:2.0.5) SLASH COMBO: auto activate on specific website
as title mentioned , auto activate on specific website ~
- (2019-01-15, v:2.0.5) Doesnt work for
Chrome settings, facebook chat window, chrome search bar/search bar window
- (2019-01-09, v:2.0.5) keith Lung: whatsapp web
hi there, the dark mode not working on whatsapp web properly. hopefully you can fix it tq.
- (2018-12-25, v:2.0.5) Bhavesh Yadav: Messages not visible on Whatsapp web.
The color of the messages is almost identical to the background. Hence messages are not visible on web.whatsapp.com