A feature-packed distraction-free web reader with dyslexia support and research tools
Reader Mode is a feature-packed Chrome reading extension and web app that removes clutter, ads and distractions, while also includes dyslexia support, bookmarking, annotating, highlighting, text-to-speech and many other features all in one tool. Features: ✔ Distraction-free and ad-free "Reader Mode" ✔ Deletion of unwanted elements ✔ Theme customization ✔ Custom theme ✔ Custom CSS ✔ Print pages ✔ Fullscreen mode ✔ Auto-run ability ✔ Save edited pages ✔ Share To Twitter ✔ Dyslexia Fonts ✔ Dyslexia Ruler ✔ Text To Speech ✔ Article Outline ✔ Text annotating and highlighting ✔ Notes List ✔ Auto-scroll functionality ✔ Dark Panel Mode ✔ Google Search ✔ Google Translate ✔ Remove footer option ✔ Cloud storage ✔ Share pages in Reader Mode format ✔ Read-it-later mode ✔ Full-text search ✔ Favourites ✔ Organization folders ✔ Tags for pages ✔ Sync styles To see all the features and learn more, check out https://readermode.io ***** Changelog ***** Version 1.2.5 (13/9/2020) -Added Lexend fonts Version 1.2.4 (22/4/2020) -Fixed syntax error when there’s no user found Version 1.2.3 (22/4/2020) -Fixed links not working after deletion mode -Set max-width for all elements to 100% Version 1.2.2 (15/4/2020) -Author is default to "Unknown author" if not found -Show “Saved” notice if article is already saved -Truncate meta url if too long -Added pre tags styles for codes Version 1.2.1 (19/3/2020) -Fixed Toolbar css affected issue Version 1.2.0 -Fixed empty Auto-run issue Version 1.1.9 -Fixed outline li default style -Removed default line-height css from default and app -Removed inline css styles -Removed Headings from settings -Removed cr-saved-info and cd-footer default colors -Removed updateTheme function -Fixed TTS Pitch not saving issue Version 1.1.8 -Fixed color queries Version 1.1.7 -Fixed Saved Panel button colors -Renamed "Auto-run Domain Rules" to "Auto-run Rules" Version 1.1.6 -Fixed background color & text color conflict issue -Added Headings style setting -Added Themes -Fixed sans-serif font not saving issue -Increased maximum Dyslexia Ruler height to 250px Version 1.1.5 -Added indicator when the main menu is active -Disabled Custom CSS -Moved Custom CSS settings panel to the bottom -Fixed auto height for options panel -Fixed some font styles not saving issue -Rearranged font options position Version 1.1.4 -Rearranged main menu for better readability -Used global address for Google Search -Included li tag in text color changes Version 1.1.3 -Added Saved/Removed Info Panel Version 1.1.2 - -Fixed Meta not saving issue Version 1.1.1 - Removed Analytics Version 1.1.0 - Updated description Version 1.0.9 - Fixed reader’s width not-saving issue - Fixed overflow text for meta info - Added style for quotes content - Fixed auto-run rules grammar mistakes - Removed Helvetica Neue font - Set default font as Arial
- (2022-10-04) John Goundry: Really poor, can't bypass paywalls as advertised, simply turns pages into a text only format.
- (2022-09-13) Ife: cant print pages
- (2022-08-20) Omar Wahsha: good and easy to use can also change the color of the background
- (2022-08-13) Burner: Works but its paywalled. Nowhere does it say that its actually a trial. There's a limit on how many pages you can use reader mode on before it locks you out.
- (2022-08-13) Gigih Ramadhan: This extension is very good. we can change font and disable ads so i can read LN without being disturbed 8/10
- (2022-07-21) Chad Sparkes: I installed this extension when a specific article I wanted to read had a paywall. Installed, refreshed, hit the button, and while the page did get drastically simplified, the paywall did not go away.
- (2022-07-20) Carmine: problem is the target for profit profit, featuere behind a pay-retal check, too dam expensive aim to help those that have issue reading sure for what cost, profit on people disadvantages, don't feel great at all. Who ever is supporting this sub paying system too must consider the you doing bad thing to the comunty as whole. no evryone can make that much money and still have money to spear, is alrady hard living with a disavantage like not been able to read propely.
- (2022-07-08) Par Kla: Doesnt work as described. Pages look the same.
- (2022-07-08) - Herfen -: Viiiiiiiel zu teuer. Man kann eben nicht jeden Mist gegen monatl. Gebühr verhökern. Hoffe ihr habt eure richtigen Jobs noch nicht hingeschmissen.
- (2022-06-01) Armando Loyola: I'm looking for something simple, like the option that keeps disappearing from Chrome. Tired of having to reactivate it I was looking for an extension. This do the job, slower than the native option, but adds some unwelcome functionality. First it spam a pro version, and selected text has this floating menu with options I can't see ever using. I need less than this.
- (2022-03-23) duarte mauricio: Very good tool, sometimes it bugs the page but we can't have everything!!!
- (2022-03-01) Md. Nahidul Alam Chowdhury: Amazing.
- (2022-01-23) Onkar Charate: Best Extension For Reading
- (2021-12-03) Maurício de Sá Cominetti: Excellent extension, works like the reader mode of Safari on iPhone. Very helpful to read without distraction.
- (2021-10-29) Pat MySecret: It's a good reader that does seem to have a few perks/options that others don't. ..easy Twitter linking, nice placement of meta/link and author at top, aside from the numerous detailed options it offers. It does do some advertising
- (2021-09-16) Mauricio Andres Castaneda Acuna: No sirve para nada es una extensión pésima, aveces lee aveces no y cuando lee, lee menos de 10 palabras y ya, la desinstalo por eso mismo, no me sirvio para nada.
- (2021-09-15) Uriel Rivera: Buenísima para celular
- (2021-08-12) Zoran M: It's ok when it works, which it often doesn't. Choosing voice you have to scroll through dozens of those you don't need.
- (2021-07-23) Hank Cheng: I bought Reader Mode Pro and found a bug(voice would stop after a couples of lines). I reported the bug to the author, but I got no response. I want my money back.
- (2021-07-20) Colin Stodd: Definition of False advertisement. The description tells you, you get all these features, but you get a blank page with white background and black text for your options. I'm a developer, and it just inspired me to create something better and Freeer. To the developer: Strip the misleading text, you're only damaging your reputation as a clickbait/EMS chasing developer. or use a donation box. You'll make more money.
- (2021-03-19) Elvis Chen: Does not match with system theme. Hard to hate it because this is the best reader I have ever used on chrome.
- (2021-02-18) Michael Ye: Would love it if this chrome extension automatically turns on for articles without having to click it
- (2020-11-02) Bill Randi: I LIKE IT
- (2020-10-21) Mylan de Carpentier: works great
- (2020-10-17) 永永: Reader Mode 最好用的 Chrome 阅读模式扩充外挂，功能丰富，还提供语音朗读与翻译功能 臺灣某站点推荐的 https:// www.kocpc .com.tw /archives /343880 。Reader Mode 最好用的 Chrome 閱讀模式擴充外掛，功能豐富，還提供語音朗讀與翻譯功能.
- (2020-09-29) JJ Villalobos: Straightforward and very helpful. Great extension!
- (2020-09-05) Nick Lemmon: Comes with installed malware - Charming Tab - do not install.
- (2020-07-12) Vishesh Bhuptani: This is a game changer for people who read a lot online. I love it as it makes reading articles or other web pages very easy on the eye as it removes all the unwanted ads and clutter and helps focus on exactly what you need to. Easy and minimal user interface and works with just 1 click of a button. It also has a text-to-speech reader inbuilt, which works like a charm. Cannot recommend it enough.
- (2020-07-06) Luka Szads: Many options which are standard in other focus readers are in PRO version - better to switch to others which do not charge for standard stuff.
- (2020-03-31) Eric Ruleman: You're gonna love reading on the Internet again. Simple keyboard shortcut, and you're whisked away into your article.
- (2020-03-11) Toki: Waaoo! It really works! I don't need the Pro features but I'm going to buy it anyways just to support you guys. Thanks for create a chrome extension free distraction that really works.
- (2020-02-15) Megan: So much easier to learn without relentless virtual salesmen bombarding me with adverts on every page I try to look at. Works great, looks clean, love it!
- (2020-01-13) Wilhelm Rahn: Just installed, it's great! The speech to text it's a welcomed surprise, but I really wish it was a bit more robust (can't figure out how to make it start reading from an specific point). So it always starts with the title. Keep up the good work!
- (2019-12-16) Francesco Suriano: Here is my feedback for it: 1) We need the support for themes, I mean the ability to have 3 presets saved like Just Read does. 2) When I use it, the extension adds more scrollbars that look ugly, especially in dark mode where they look so bright and are annoying. Screen: https://i.imgur.com/n1O8WJH.png 3) Embeded YouTube videos look huge. Screen: https://i.imgur.com/4lNDqUw.png 4) Support embedded Twits. They are parts of the article, not something superfluous (the same goes for Reddit posts). 5) It is very unintuitive to close the settings panel because we need to click on the setting icon again. The first times I just clicked on the X and it closes the reader mode and not the panel. Let us close the setting panel by just clicking on the article and consider adding an X for the setting panel. 6) It doesn't work with some websites, maybe you can fix it? Here is an example of an article that doesn't work: https://www.everyeye.it/articoli/speciale-flop-10-videogiochi-deludenti-decennio-46601.html 7) It would be great to have the support for Google WaveNet TTS. I know it is expensive, but the current Italian voices are terrible so they are basically useless. Make it a Pro feature or let me pay something more (like 5-10$ for it). 8) Making the Dark Panel a Pro feature which is so basic... doesn't look so right. When the majority of these are fixed, it will be a Must-Have companion for web browsing and I'll buy Pro. ATM I prefer Just Read.
- (2019-12-06) s a: I'm disappointed with how inconsistent it is across the webpages I use. Needs work to be useful for many users.
- (2019-11-20) Sanya Luxury: Хорошее приложение! Особенно понравился режим озвучивания. Не без минусов, конечно. Но баги же поправимы. Планирую поддержать разработчиков. Но пока нет нужной суммы. Как соберу обязательно отблагодарю авторов. Во благо того, чтобы разработчики обновляли и улучшали данное расширение. Надеюсь команда не забросит проект в дальнейшем, потому что я вижу в нём большую перспективу. Спасибо, что прочитали до конца. Хорошего дня!
- (2019-11-18) Steven Tey: ReaderMode is a must have Chrome extension when you are browsing pages like TechCrunch or Forbes where ad-blockers don't work - it provides you with a clean, minimalistic and distraction-free reading experience that is unparalleled in the Chrome Web Store. 100% would recommend!!!
- (2019-11-16) Himanshu Mishra: Really liked the simplicity. It is really fast to get all the relevant info and gives you various options to improve your reading experience. Good job !
- (2019-11-16) Gregory Arnold: A fantastic clean reader extension that improves on some of the free and open version ones in great ways (Seems like a new version of this one https://justread.link/ and https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/reader-view/ecabifbgmdmgdllomnfinbmaellmclnh reskinned )(Chose colors is a great touch). I have been trying out for a few days. Highly recommend it for anyone looking to read articles and get work done! The only negative thing I can say is the dyslexia support is mostly just a ruler and while more dyslexia focused tools are great, this doesn't seem to be it, I would love more improvements and support on the clean reader mode itself. Like tabs or book marks.
- (2019-11-05) Mark Thomas Miller: I love this little extension. As someone who reads a lot of articles online, it's nice to have a distraction-free reading experience. I also like that you have fine-tuned control over the fonts, colors, and even things like custom CSS to really personalize your reading experience. Definitely recommend! :)
- (2019-11-04) CourtneyMakesVideo: Reader Mode is a bit buggy, couldn't get it to work on most pages. It would just hold on "fetching contents" and never reload the page. :(
- (2019-11-04) Gemme van Hasselt: Very useful extension. Using it now on a daily basis since I have installed it. The combination of focused reading as well as a quick way to edit the page and preparing it for printing, saves me time.
- (2019-11-02) Kanad Bahalkar: Really simple and useful extension! The reader style is pretty awesome and I can easily customize the layout, theming, fonts etc. Another feature that I like is the Text-to-speech option where I can listen to any articles instead of reading them (I'm an auditory learner).
- (2022-07-05, v:1.2.5) Erin Larsen: Cutting of Articles
Hello, my articles are getting cut off... how do I prevent this from happening?
- (2022-03-01, v:1.2.5) Md. Nahidul Alam Chowdhury: Auto run
How can I auto-run reader mode for all websites? (probably, by using regular expression.) Thanks.
- (2021-11-07, v:1.2.5) Xavier Bellanca: Why I can't see the reader mode on the whole page?
Hi. I've installed the Reader Mode extension but it seems it doesn't work properly. To be more specific, when I turn on the extension the window in reading mode appears only in the right side of the screen, wide about 250 pixel, while in the background remains the original page. It looks quite annoying. Please, can you help me to fix this? Thank you in advance.
- (2021-07-06, v:1.2.5) Bang2 Highlights: Lost Pro Key
I think I have lost my premium key. Is there any way to contact you and find it?
- (2021-06-12, v:1.2.5) Frances Cherman: Two suggestions
Please add: 1. Multiple highlighting colors 2. Allow an option to remove the website name from the page title. This could be achieved via: a) a user option to use the <h1> element instead of the <title> element as the page title; or b) a script that looks for the typical separators in a page title, such as an "en" dash surrounded by space characters (e.g. The Sun Also Rises – Amazon); or c) the option for the reader to edit the title without going into the Chrome Inspector, which is what I currently have to do.
- (2021-04-07, v:1.2.5) Gary Haag: Pages on Kaggle.com do not load any content
For example, https://www.kaggle.com/dansbecker/underfitting-and-overfitting, activating reading mode just removes the content. I know this is running in a jupyter notebook which I assume is the likely reason.
- (2021-01-19, v:1.2.5) Sundeep Aulakh: Reader Mode
My extension is enabled but reader mode is not working.
- (2021-01-18, v:1.2.5) Fedele Cavaliere: Website crawling problem
This website doesn't crawl the entire content, please check in order to improve the extension ;) https://www.studenti.it/biografia-giovanni-giolitti.html This is a page example
- (2021-01-17, v:1.2.5) Fahim Amin: U
How can I turn on text mode or reader mode
- (2020-12-31, v:1.2.5) Sal A: Activation
I paid for Reader Mode but now it is asking for my activation code. I have no idea where I can find my receipt
- (2020-10-22, v:1.2.5) kyamwk: How do I scroll down using a keyboard keys only?
Hi there, A big thank you for developing such a useful app. It is a game changer especially for website with many advertisements. I do have problems after using a keyboard shortcut to activate the reader mode. There are two scroll bars and pressing down on my keyboard only moves the scroll bar on the right which does not move the page down. Please help! Thanks!
- (2020-06-11, v:1.2.4) Little Lion: Firefox app
Hello, i have a request. Can you please implement the app in firefox? It looks really cool, but a lot of people like me don't want to use Chrome. I would be happy if you can do that. Best regards, Philipp
- (2020-05-28, v:1.2.4) vinu thomas: Text-to-speech
T2S skips bullet points text. Test it https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/learn/modules/data-engineering-processes/4-architecturing-project
- (2020-05-12, v:1.2.4) Jack Randall: Can you change the hotkey for enabling reader mode? Surely you know Shift + Command Z is a popular command for "redo".
Can you change the hotkey for enabling reader mode? Surely you know Shift + Command Z is a popular command for "redo".
- (2020-04-21, v:1.2.2) Ashutosh prusty: Free version gives nothing
Atleast make Sepia Free. Other extension providing lot of feature for free. Though this extension is highly customizable in pro mode, free version gives little to none. Also payment method, please make it flexible.
- (2020-04-13, v:1.2.1) Marc Jemuel Que: Zira Voice is not working
It doesnt work and just uses David.
- (2020-03-06, v:1.2.0) Stephen Smith: Cannot get my Premium app on Chrome
I paid for Premium, but the app on chrome says I only have the regular free app. Can you please help me get this. szs
- (2020-02-03, v:1.1.5) Camden Bassett: Auto-run doesn't work
I've tried adding a few different autorun rules, but it never seems to auto run. Is there an extra step I'm missing?
Please remove tracking code from the app as suggested in review. Thank you.
- (2019-11-22, v:1.0.8) Richard Howard: Will this read Amazon Kindle web content?
Will this extension read from read.amazon.com?
- (2019-11-20, v:1.0.8) Sanya Luxury: TTS
Not work Text-to-speech Google русский (ru-Ru). Please, fix it. But good work Text-to-speech Microsoft Irina Dekstop Russian (ru-Ru).